In the opinion of Jow Forums, what is the best martial art style for self defense

In the opinion of Jow Forums, what is the best martial art style for self defense

Attached: buchecha-marcus-almeida-roger-gracie.jpg (2048x1365, 630K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CEu5_v1iv-k
youtu.be/UyXERDeMbKI
youtube.com/watch?v=mwyBW9-we5A
youtube.com/watch?v=BY7qOwaZEqw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

To run in the opposite direction of the attacker

9mm

cock sucking

Don'tc care. Which is why I'm browsing a weapons board.

Absolutely nothing Asian or exotic in nature. If you don't believe me, go ahead and look up any YouTube video of a semi-professional boxer or wrestler fighting some gook "grandmaster" of taekwondo or karate or whatever. The weebs get stomped every time.

Wrestling or one of its derivatives like Brazilian jiu-jitsu are probably the most practical. Boxing is good too but obviously it has a lot of constraints on it that aren't true in real life because it's primarily a sport and not a method of self-defense. Muy thai is probably the only legit Asian martial art.

To piggyback on this, basically stay away from any martial art that stresses meditation or some type of chi bullshit and fancy acrobatic displays that have zero application in real life.

overwhelming fire superiority

Attached: flash3.jpg (620x413, 33K)

Gun kata.

Attached: at_u.jpg (336x518, 45K)

dont do bjj its useless if theres more then one guy

I do Muay Thai for striking and Sambo for throws/grappling, and some Kali for knife stuff. Against 90% of fights you'd ever have in the street or a bar or whatever, boxing and some sort of grappling will do just fine.

What about judo?

An interesting little tidbit that you might not be fully aware of, but in Japanese, the use of -do are opposed to -itsu at the end of a word changes the meaning of it from "technique" to "art." That's why kendo is the sport where you smack each other with bamboo sticks and kenjitsu is actual swordfighting technique practiced with steel katanas.

The point I'm getting that is, in general (there are exceptions before some weebs start REEEEEing at me), Japanese martial arts that end in -itsu are what you want to learn as opposed to -do. If you learn judo as opposed to jiu-jitsu you'll be learning a lot of shit that isn't necessarily practical but looks nice, and they'll probably cram your head full of that Buddhist/Shinto inner peace meditation bullshit.

>tl;dr
Brazilian jiu-jitsu, or even regular jiu-jitsu, will probably be more useful than taking judo. Obviously it depends a lot on your instructor and whether or not he's a pragmatic guy or some egomaniac with his head in the clouds who truly believes he can KO a guy twice his size by pinching a nerve spot.

BJJ / wrestling for grappling and takedowns
Boxing and muay Thai for strikes

it doesnt really matter what particular martial art you learn as forms quickly fly out the window in a real fight

bruce lee himself advocated physical conditioning and development of muscle memory over any particular style
dont worry so much over which style you pick, whether its boxing, judo, or karate, as much as how diligently and rigourosly you practice and train to pull off what you want to do even in an emergency

MMA. Build it to what ever best suits your needs.

>dont do bjj its useless if theres more then one guy
ahahah.. this guy knows whats up.
>BJJ / wrestling for grappling and takedowns
number of faggots in BJJ classes these days is fucking astronomical. I went to one BJJ place and >50% of them were faggots. I noticed little rainbow pins, bracelets.. shit like that.
When you're lying on the floor and some man is constantly on top of you in missionary position (aka "the guard"), weird shit happens.

Systema. After trying a bunch, this one got me results quickly. I met a bouncer who works few night clubs and after I chatted with him he told me he trains Systema and told me the place to go to. Been going to it for over 2 years which is probably a record for me since after doing wrestling in HS, I haven't really found a martial art that I could train for a long time. If you're on the east coast, there's plenty of good instructors and places where you can train. Don't travel much to the West coast so don't know much about the scene there.
Also, lots of interesting characters come to classes... lots of bouncers, security guards and executive protection people. There's even a retired USSS guy in class. Cool dude.

Learn boxing and a little jiu-jitsu. You'll be able to strike well and stay off the ground but have the jiu-jitsu to escape if yoh get brought down. This will be enough to get you through >90% of common brawls.

Sounds like you need to go somewhere more blue-collar for your BJJ

The best MA is hitting the other guy first, continue hitting him till he's on the ground, and keep hitting him until he can't get back up.
You'd be surprised how few people can recover from the initial shock of being hit in the face quick enough to put up a reasonable fight.
Learn some basic punches and how to take a hit. If you want to learn anything fancy get wasted and then try and do it. If you can't do it drunk you can't do it in the middle of a fight.

american boxing combined with something like bjj or wrestling honnestly just take an mma class bjj and wrestling on there own are bad because people do throw punches and pulling guard is a bad move on the streets

I can't disagree, but you'd be surprised how some people barely notice when you hit them.

Its good to know a couple of "go to" tricks.

Apparently, jiu-jitsu.
A weapon and learning to run really fucking fast would probably be more useful though.

Attached: jiu jitsu black belt.jpg (1280x720, 53K)

That is the feeling I got from "Tao of Jeet Kun Do" or however its spelled. It is more about mental preparedness. I kinda walked away with the feeling that martial arts "style" was bull shit and who better than me to develop not only a basic technique (which is all that's really needed) but also some methods to accomplish the goal. For me, I'd rather make the guy change his mind after a broken arm and not fuck his face for the rest of his life. I have practiced my arm thing to perfection. I can do it sitting in a chair or swimming. Then what to do to slip a hold. A few basic understanding of mechanics. Done.

If you watch easterners like Asians and Indians fight you’ll notice a distinct lack of grappling. Their martial arts developed the way they did because grappling wasn’t a super big threat which is really weird since some have wrestling sports and used moves in warfare ala HEMA. The big exception are Siberians Mongols Turkics whatever the fuck, those dudes will drag you to the ground.

Concealed carry.

why are you asking Jow Forums? this board is full of fatties who lose their breath after walking up a flight of stairs

Attached: 1545668512349.jpg (1600x1200, 131K)

Bartitsu youtube.com/watch?v=CEu5_v1iv-k

/thread

Attached: bartitsu.jpg (700x313, 107K)

>implying anyone here exercises let alone does martial arts

Judo/Jujutsu. Learning the throws will create space which will let you run or draw your weapon. Learning the grappling will teach you how to escape grabs and holds. Never put someone else in a hold unless you want to get pummeled by his three friends.

/thread

Unironically this. Nobody wants to fight after a ball draining blowjob.

if you have half a brain you can discern the sport parts of it from the useful parts of it. Learning to throw somebody who is trying to hold you into concrete is a solid defensive strategy.

OP listen to There's bullshit aplenty everywhere but most of /k doesn't and hasn't trained in anything. All they know is to bark "MMA" "Brazilian Ju-Jitsu" and maybe "Muy Thai" like they've been told to do.

I used to wrestle, box, and do muay thai. Now I practice Cheeki Jitsu. Bring a weapon to a fist fight. Diffuse the situation, pretend to leave, and catch them in the parking lot on their way out. Keep gloves and a ski mask on you in case there are cameras.

Brazilian jujitsu was developed from the judo of Mitsuyo Maeda kid. You have no fucking clue what you're talking about. go wax your katAna.

>getting in fights with multiple people
>fucking faggot sport, dude had me in guard and it was gay
You got tapped by one of them didn't you? It's ok, happens to everybody.

>all these fat retards who dont think complimenting their CC with the ability to atleast break a struggle and make distance isnt important

Judo guy here
this guy literally has no idea what he's talking about

Judo and Jujitsu are both modern martial arts (as opposed to traditional, mystical shit) founded on actual competitive fighting and cross pollinated with western wrestling and MMA. Judo and Jujitsu are practically interchangeable for training purposes, the physical conditioning is identical and virtually all techniques are shared; the only practical differences are in the competitive rule sets and the olympic level bureaucracy.

This whole "western fighting is science and eastern fighting is meditation" meme needs to die, its an edgy jab at weebs by people that have never fucking trained in anything.

Congrats you understand the difference between "-do" and "-jitsu", and yet are completely ignorant of the hundreds of years of mystical bullshit "-jitsu" arts and completely discount a hundred years of sports science.

Attached: 1526110290106.png (373x339, 204K)

>Brazilian jiujitsu
>derivative of wrestling
>hurr durr stay away from Asian shit

I'm sorry you're retarded, user. BJJ's parenthood is judo which itself is derived from the many schools of Japanese jujutsu dating back medieval japan.

youtu.be/UyXERDeMbKI

youtube.com/watch?v=mwyBW9-we5A

Boxing/kick boxing/muay thai + bjj/judo/wrestling/sambo

I miss /asp/

>bobby learns krav maga

Attached: 348s.jpg (348x348, 20K)

Krav Maga seems gimmicky but it could also be pretty good. Keep in mind the goal of most "military" martial arts programs like MCMAP is to get your opponent away from you long enough for you to grab or reload your weapon. They do, however, offer solutions for taking on multiple opponents and can be used to permanently incapacitate someone.

As far as asian martial arts go, I would stay away from them. Jeet Kune Do seems appealing as the whole philosophy seems to be "fuck this technique bullshit let me punch someone" but I don't know enough about it to really go beyond that.

If you want some quick tips:
If someone is grabbing your shoulder, hit inward on the shoulder joint with the same side fist while holding the person's hand with your opposite side hand
If you are close enough to reach someone's face, you are close enough to reach their eyes. Thumbs are ideal but you can use your other fingers too.
Your jaw muscles can exert a lot of force. Use them if applicable.
If you have the option, grab a weapon, whether it be your sidearm or a piece of wood.

Jeep kune do is basically just wing chun with Bruce Lee worship attached to it.

It's been mentioned before in the thread but people saying "avoid Asian styles" are generalizing in the worst way. Not every Asian martial art is your strip mall karate dojo. Judo is an Olympic sport and the parent of Brazilian jiujitsu. Muay Thai is the most dominant striking style in MMA. "American" style kickboxing is derived from karate guys who wanted a more open ruleset and was originally billed as "full contact karate." Not to mention the knock down style karate competitions where you score points by punching your opponent until he falls down. But even point stop karate strategies have been applied by mma champions (see Lyoto machida) we can't simply disregard the effectiveness of these styles just because you knew some fat dweeb in high school who got a taekwondo black belt when he was 11.

A gun

A gun.

>can't have a gun
A can of pepper spray

>can't have that either
youtube.com/watch?v=BY7qOwaZEqw

>hit inward on the shoulder joint with the same side fist while holding the person's hand with your opposite side hand

And do what bro?
Is there a demonstration in a movie?
What's my other arm doing when both your hands are busy? Don't want to be a dick. I want to understand. Can't imagine getting hit in the shoulder hard enough to bug me and if pull is opposite from hit, ... I must not get it.

KNIFE + GUN
KNIFEGUN

If following McDojoLife on instagram has taught me anything it's that if the head instructor is obese; WALK AWAY!

It honestly sounds like he's describing a basic judo grip. Lets say some dude is getting handsy at the bar and has his right hand on your left shoulder. If you put your left fist into a person's armpit and grab some cloth while they are grabbing your shoulder you can stiff arm to make and keep some distance. Your right hand should have control of the other person's left arm by either grabbing the wrist or the sleeve. A "push-pull" movement can be done by pushing into the shoulder and pulling on the arm to make someone off balance. You should pull in the direction you are back stepping. So if you have control of their left arm and a fist in their right armpit you should step back with your right foot while pulling and pushing. This can be done to set up a takedown or a throw.

Doesn't really hurt but if you need to make space quickly it works. You'd be surprised how much control you can have over someone in stand-up with good grips.

>I'm gonna take a few weekend classes from a McDojo or some shady old run down warehouse
Western boxing, TKD
>I'm gonna devote literally years of constant practice to mastering the art
Basically anything that isn't greco-roman wrestling or one of the various flavors of kung fu.

It's generally a bad idea to take a street fight to the ground. Ground fighting is awesome 1v1 but the second you add in Jamal's 12 homies you're gonna get brick'd in the back of the head the second you clinch. As such, it's generally a bad idea to focus on a fighting style that revolves around going to ground.
>strike
>separate
>leave

JKD, because we learn to box, kick box, wrestle, some muay thai, bjj thrown in, and kali, with a big emphasis on "dirty" fighting

get an axe and practice swinging it until it feels like an extension of your arm
an axe is far superior to bare fists and it's cheap

gun kata, concealed carry stance.

FPBP
You may not like it but it's the correct answer.

Boxing and wrestling. Kicking in a street fight is a bad idea

If you kicked me I would catch it and redirect the energy towards your face so you would end up kicking yourself.

Kicks are USELESS in a fight. I just catch them or block them with my hand. Slapping away kicks is more mentally tiring than physical.

That's a meme. Damn near every culture has developed their own form of folk wrestling. Indians have kushti. Chinese have shuai jiao. Japanese have jiujitsu/judo.

Asian martial arts =/= "traditional" kung fu that was really invented in the 70s

Attached: Liu Tiansheng 刘天胜 on Instagram.webm (640x640, 2.97M)