Choose Which .357

Le st1r-friendly ebin 4.20-inch all-around Goldilocks barrel length maymay or longboi?
Seven shots... or pay the price of extra ounces for an eighth round?

Which of these would you, as a big guy (tall) buy as your do-all gun, from concealed carry to deer hunting (for survival more than sport), from city streets in winter to the wild mountains in summer? I'm tall af; will I be able to wear the 6" iwb as effectively as a manlet or girl can wear the 4.2" iwb? Do a couple more inches really matter? (Your mom said that they did last night compared to your dad's dick when I was fucking her with mine.)

But, seriously, will 1.3 or 1.8 more inches really push a bullet *much* faster? Are we talking about the difference between 180gr hardcast bouncing off or penetrating through a bear's skull, or does the difference in foot-pounds and perceived effect (looking for real world first & second hand experience)?

I've heard & read that Ruger 4.2 & 6 inch barrels produce practically identical muzzle velocities (+/-50fps), with some bullets traveling *faster* out of the shorter 4.2" barrel?

Also, how do those extra inches affect quickdraw time from leather? What's your experience & assessment of (esp. these newer) GP-100 & Redhawk triggers & actions?
>big iron edition
>continued from

Attached: image.jpg (1150x1024, 138K)

Jesus fuck guy.
www.ballisticsbytheinch.com
Go there and make a decision.

I can help you out OP. What you are looking for is a Colt Big Iron. The barrle is long as shit but they were made to draw quickly despite being so long and large. It's rare to find them with the big iron barrle but you can buy the gun for like 750+- used and just get a new barrel for $300. Check gun broker and Midway USA has great deals on the barrels.
>Pic not related

Attached: 1543974878569.jpg (500x500, 19K)

>I've heard & read that Ruger 4.2 & 6 inch barrels produce practically identical muzzle velocities (+/-50fps), with some bullets traveling *faster* out of the shorter 4.2" barrel?
Utter nonsense.

Get a copy of quickload and you can easily see how changing barrel length affects velocity. It makes a difference.

>>GP-100 & Redhawk triggers and actions
Standard Ruger. Extremely durable, boring aesthetics, meh trigger.

You're a LARPing weirdo to ccw a full size revolver in 2019. Get the long boi big iron and enjoy drilling bullseyes. You will appreciate the sight radius and extra weight every time you shoot it. Ideally get a slim 2-3" snub for actually carrying and the 6" for shooting. The 4" is compromise. But this is the 21st century where you can spend less, and have 13 rounds of 45acp or 17 rounds of 9mm on your person in the same size and weight.

Revolvers DO have their place in this day and age but it's not on your hip.

Attached: P1000585.jpg (600x800, 102K)

The FPS of an inch more barrel is negligible. Get over that nonsense. You WILL notice and benefit from the sights being further apart. And will hold the heavier gun steadier and the system results in hitting your target, and be comfortable shooting further out.

The correct answer is the 686

Attached: 164222_01_lg.jpg (500x500, 15K)

no, hombre. the correct answer is the 586

I have the 6” GP100 and it is awesome, shoots better than my target pistols even when using cheap plinking ammo. I also replaced the rubber grip with a nice wooden one, which I recommend doing.

why so? pros/cons?

>hunting
6 inch barrel
>Literally planning doing ANYTHING fucking else with it?
4 inch barrel. Believe me. I made the mistake.

7" Ruger black-hawk, blued steel.

>hillary holes
>ever

Hi satan.

Thanks for your contributions to this thread; lemme bump it with these thoughts:
>muh edc ccw iwb 357 365 24/7
>muh one shot stoppan powah of 357 spinboi trumps higher capacity of 9mm bottomfeeders which require magdumping to kill one target -- 8, 7, 6 or even 5 "for sure" is better than nineteen "maybes" -- so spinboize aren't irrelevant until something like star trek phasers become ubiquitous irl
>muh more than six magum bullets on tap
>muh fidget spinner for adults
>muh contact shots not taking weapon out of battery
>muh wheelgat aesthetics
>muh joo-york "illegal*" carry under jacket or maybe appendix or iwb or vertical harness or inside chest rig under hoodie with access slot cut through hoodie pocket mufuggin idgaf #2a #shallnot
>muh have gun will travel which was a based b&w tv show
>muh dirty harry callaghan edc
>muh wiley clapp edc
>muh frontier woodsman edc
>muh marty robins going to agua fria edc

Attached: 1538060474415.png (445x445, 251K)

>14:39:17 >made "mistake" of using six inch revolver for *anything* other than hunting I want to hear your story, Jow Forumsomrade; please perhaps greentext examples of experiences carrying such big iron on your hip.

Attached: 1547975255450.jpg (750x750, 222K)

7 shot GP100's have problems accepting .38/.357 rims that are at the higher end of spec. They bind. Don't do it.

>Does a longer barrel really matter?
Yes. .357 gets significantly faster per inch of barrel until around 16 inches, and still gains until 24. (Probably more but I know of no 25+ inch .357 rifles)

>Do it all revolver
First, read your local laws. In some states the barrel must be so long or the caliber so large. California doesn't care as long as it fires centerfire cartridge unless you're hunting elk, in which case the barrel can be no shorter than 4 inches.

That said, assuming no restrictions, get the lightest, longest, thinnest .357 you can carry. I have a 4.2 inch SP101 that I can technically take elk hunting, and there are loads for it, but I am not confident I could make such a shot. A .357 Redhawk would be a superior hunting and defensive weapon but being as it is significantly heavier I don't know why you wouldn't go with a .44 if innawoodz or [insert autoloader here] if walking the street. That same SP-101, while long and relatively heavy in comparison to other popular carry options, would be much more practical if theoretically less effective.

OP, curious what your thoughts are. What we're you leaning towards initially? Have we changed your mind or left more confused?

Aesthetically 6" 7 shooter
Practically 4.2" 8 shooter
Best option is 6.5" Model 29 .44Mag

Attached: BIG IRON.jpg (2400x1600, 1.14M)

Ruger Blackhawk

Yup. Get a GP100 6 shooter with a 4" barrel. The Ruger GP guns are very nice guns. No sense in going Redhawk unless going to .44.

Pras. If it aint a 29 fuck off

you have a pic of the long barrel?

>Revolvers DO have their place in this day and age but it's not on your hip.
Retard.

5" half lug is the best compromise.

Attached: Lipsey'sExclusiveRugerGP100.jpg (1552x1020, 344K)

Do the 7 shot ones really have that big of a problem with binding? Or is it just with a small minority of ammo on the market?

Get an 8 shot redhawk

S&W model 13

If you get the GP-100, get the 4.2.
If you get the Redhawk, get the 5.5.
But you should really get the redhawk.

I have an sp101 match 4.2" and I hate the trigger. I love everything else about the gun but the trigger just feels like shit.

You have to go to forums to get specifics, but it's like 5 different brands and sometimes it's only a few rounds per box. Rims have a tolerance that can vary by a few thousandths because it's dead simple headspace, it usually isn't a problem but Ruger's cylinder is too small to accept the largest spec with 7 shots. The 686+ has a bigger one so it's, as far as I know, never been an issue with S&W. Likewise with the Xbox Heug Redhawk cylinder.

Just be ready to send it back to Ruger. I bought the model 5060 and it locked up on me. They fixed it and polished the action, but I didn't have it to shoot with friends over Christmas and I won't see them till next year.

Also the 7 shot gp had unfixable rim binding issues.

>sounds of angle-grinding brass rim edges intensifies

>checked truth post
4.2" GP100 vs 5.5" Redhawk (original first choice) is where I keep finding myself in this decision process, although the 4.2" RH is sweet and the 6" GP has always been on my short list... but check out pic related regarding chronographed velocities compared between goldilox & longboi (4 & 6 inches).
>see above
...now, tell me about fit & finish between GP & RH: is one *finer* than the other?

Attached: Ruger-GP100-7Shot-1.jpg (1440x821, 310K)

Colt SAA in .357 Mag

Attached: 1536617517702.png (720x555, 609K)

4 3/4 inch barrel?

Gp100 Match Champ, go for it, pictures don’t do it justice. It’s pretty perfectly balanced, great trigger out of the box, and good sights, I enjoy mine

Interesting

Standard Rugers have no real difference between fit and finish, they were designed to be built cheap while still being durable. That's why shit like the trigger pull have been a secondary concern going back to the Security Six.

The GP100 Match Champion is given a bit more time, nicer grips, shims to improve the trigger pull, and a more balanced barrel. If I were going for a 4.2 GP100 it would be that one hands down, mostly because I hate full underlugs with an undying passion.

the security six aesthetic has really grown on me recently

its very Bauhaus.
nothing extraneous; functional with a slight flair.
it reminds me a lot of turn of the century Colts.

this

5059 or 5060.

>holy kek dem digits checked

Get a model 65 you dummy

Attached: 4701CFC1-CB8E-48C8-91D5-B5524875137C.jpg (2048x1536, 698K)