Cold Weather Jow Forums

Thanks to the weather this week lets take take some time to discuss what one could do to prepare yourself.
ITT: Weapons maintenance, gear selection, and protective measures

Attached: Its fucking cold.jpg (700x500, 147K)

I live in the UP so I was born in the cold, molded by it. I didn't feel the warmth until I was a man, and by then it was only SWEATY

Attached: 1485750763590.png (600x550, 45K)

just use layers. it's not hard.
>t. Dorotea, Northern Sweden

Who sells plate carriers in white? I only see multicam alpine suits and shit.

i'd need more than my wind proof heavy coat. i can say that much

daily reminder that russian-style suspension helmets like 6B47 can easily accommodate a beanie or something similar to keep your head warm and protected from shitty belgian M855 SAP ammunition

Attached: fbabf4f09fe9b18f43296440ccedbaa5_cropped.jpg (930x670, 80K)

You're supposed to wear green or camo plate carrier and then use white strips of burlap to camouflage it

>Weapons maintenance,
Keep your gun dry. During EXTREME cold, use Kerosene in place of gun oil / lube. Don't let snow and ice into your gun, and especially do not let it melt and re-freeze in or on it.

>gear selection,
Natural wool. Fucking coat yourself up on it. It keeps you warm even when wet, and moves moisture off your skin effectively. Cotton is shit.
Layered clothing is the key. Outter shell should be wind- and waterproof, mid-layer insulating padding, and the last layer closest to skin stuff mentioned earlier.

>and protective measures
Dry your equipment in a hot place / near fire whenever possible.
Avoid Geysers / hot springs unless it's a literal life or death situation. Ironically, the LESS clothing you wear while sleeping inna sleeping bag, the better. You can wrap your clothes around your body, inside the bag, if you want though.
Eat and drink warm stuff. Make sure the edibles have tons of energy, as your body uses it up quicker during extreme cold.
In case of a real emergency, fucking get nekkid and share a body heat with anyone else, inside the same bag / blanket. Yeah, it's probably homo as fuck, but it may save your life.
Cold's a bitch on your skin, especially when combined with on-&-off jumps between warming up and going back outside phases, so use some moisturizing and protecting skin-care products.

t: Finnfag who slept most of his miltary service innawoods, in a tent, when it was literally -30 degrees Celsius, all the time.

Attached: M05 Winter RK95TP flecktarn gloves.jpg (1070x714, 90K)

Did that emt user who made the threads on injuries make one on hypothermia/frostbite and if so does anyone have the cap?

>-30 degrees Celsius
What's that in non-cucked non-French units

>can easily accommodate
>pic shows the helmet sitting so high it's protecting nothing at all

>non-cucked non-French units
Says guy living in one of the THREE (3) countries still using the ancient nonsense system that is pain in the ass to work with.
Also just Google it, you lazy ass.

>ancient nonsense system
That ancient nonsense system conquered half the known world and it isn't a pain in the ass if you're aren't a sub-80 IQ shitskin brainlet.

Attached: 1449456914588.jpg (926x875, 176K)

-22F

>wool
>warm when wet
Compared to cotton yeah, but synthetics do it better (90%+ effectiveness when wet vs. 40%). Synthetics are also lighter, less bulky, more compressible, dry faster, and are generally cheaper at any given quality level.

Wool has its benefits and niche uses (namely, it develops fromunda funk much slower) but you'd better goddamn believe I'd take grid fleece over wool as an insulating layer any day.

You can't just use a blanket term like "synthetics" because there are synthetics out there that are absolutely less warm than wet than wool. Not to mention most consumer-grade shit is noisy as fuck.

Okay. That's fair.
>grid fleece
>Primaloft
>thinsulate
all shit all fucking over wool in every category except stench.

>synthetics
which one? There's kazillion synthetic materials.
And nah; I've been exclusively using wool socks, hat, shirt and long-sleeve pants the last few weeks now, and it's fucking boss. Even if my feet are soaking wet from my own sweat and random bits of melted snow inside my boots, they never get cold.

>synthfag
Friendly reminder that people colonized inhospitable places, mounted summits, and fought in the dead of winter long before petroleum refineries existed

Attached: Edmund Hillary on Everest.jpg (5067x3483, 862K)

BDS offer customizable equipment in Atacs ATC and mulitcam white

Attached: DwhTF1YXgAUh4YQ.jpg (1200x800, 160K)

Wool works. Synthetics work better for most uses though. I still like wool socks and underwear but synthetics are better for everything else IMO.

Make sure none of your bros are hyper-sensitive to cold.

Attached: Russian officer carries a reluctant conscript back to the BTR (Chechnya, 1996).jpg (800x1200, 535K)

>people colonized inhospitable places, mounted summits, and fought in the dead of winter long before petroleum refineries existed
And died from exposure by the hundreds of thousands. You're not making a particularly compelling argument.

>And died from exposure by the hundreds of thousands.
Yeah, I forgot how hundreds of thousands of people were dying of exposure in Alaska and Montana and shit prior to the 1960s. Shut the fuck up, you have no idea what you're talking about.

>over 1 million people died from exposure to the elements during WW2
>settlers of the US West had a ~40% 1-year survival rate with over half dying due to exposure
>even today roughly 1% of the population of Montana dies every winter...due to exposure

>soldiers in wartime often don't have access to proper clothing
Wow, it's literally fucking nothing. No shit if I send you into Siberia wearing summer trousers you'll fucking die. The point I'm making is that proper winter clothes made from wool and other natural materials work fine.

And the point I'm making is that proper winter clothes made from the better synthetics are warmer, lighter, less bulky, and easier to pack while also drying faster, being machine washable, and generally cheaper.

What you could survive wearing 5 layers of wool weighing 30lbs can be survived more comfortably while wearing 3 layers of fleece weighing 10lbs.

Caribou hide can't be beat.

Those are Estonians

How can you tell? The picture quality is way too low to compare phenotypes.

Caribou is tasty af, man I miss being in 1st Brigade 25th ID simply because of all the hunting I did down by Delta Junction.

>UP
Disgusting!
T. Pinky on the oven mitt

He's just claiming cred

literally the second worst part of Michigan after the Thumb, kill yourself

fucking Galils and G3s, mate.

I'm loving this weather desu. Walking my Malamute in my Finnish and Warsaw pact milsurp gear while my quiet small town is completely silent aside from the sound of me and my dog. Its just peaceful man. Anyone else feel the same way? Also wear a damn balaclava or ski mask its cold out there.

Attached: 0percent.jpg (640x718, 118K)

Helmets are not meant to be bullet-proof user...

I would argue that during wartime they'd be better equip but not that user.

>Weapons maintenance, gear selection, and protective measures

Weapons Maintenance:

we used special, graphite based lubricants with old bolt action rifles, without optics. If weapons did have optics special care was taken to ensure that the optics stayed the same as the ambient air temp to avoid fogging.

Gear selection:

Old .303 bolt action rifles were used as an alternative for our standard service rifle. As mentioned above, this rifle had no optics.

Other times, Remington 870's were used by roving patrolmen around the camp while still below the treeline and against polar bears in the arctic/subarctic.

To patrol we used either an arctic taboggon with enough supplies and shelter for a 6-8 man section for a few days.

To move with more supplies and at a greater speed, we utilized snowmobiles and Inuit style "komiteks". The komitek was a wooden Inuit taboggon which attached to the rear of our snow machines and carried our kit and the above-mentioned tent groups.

To communicate with higher we utilized SATCOMs.

Protective Measures:

As mentioned, firearms were a necessity due to large predatory animals. The elements were also an issue with temperatures oftentimes dipping below -60'c with a windchill. It was important to dress in layers and avoid overheating at all costs. Follow the acronym C.O.L.D - Clean, avoid Overheating, Layers and Dry.

Hyrdation was also an issue as doing any form of physical exertion at that temp causes extreme fatigue and dehydration. Also - all your water is frozen and boiling it is a pain in the ass. The same thing goes for food - I live for three months in a frozen tent on clam chowder, coffee crisp and hot water.

Attached: Arctic.jpg (1000x541, 146K)

9/10 range days of the year are sub-zero stress tests when you live in Alaska.

Attached: 28166527_2016701051904777_4896173291496176326_n-700x700.jpg (700x700, 107K)

I'm gonna sound absolutely autistic, but I am so excited for the fact that my region is going to dip to almost -30. I can finally wear cold stuff, instead of this annoying -10 wear I have to wear fashionable normie clothing. I'm still warm in the normie clothing, but there is something so enjoyable about being in the actual cold but still remaining warm.

Are even high end nitrogen purged optics with the best lens coatings truly fog proof? My Steiner and Kahles scopes have yet to fog even going from around - 25C to indoors, but I seriously doubt they could pull it off in a true Arctic environment.

1 -Synthetic puffy layers are amazing.
2- 3 finger mittens are aslo amazing
3- Gaitors are awsome for keeping snow from getting into the tops of boots
4- carry a fixed blade and fire making/starting materials
5- down sleeping bags are far superior to synthetic for when things get really cold. A equivalent synthetic bag that has the same warmth will weigh way too much.
6- stay hydrated. It helps the body regulate temperature
7-taking certain supplements like ginger or garlic helps increase circulation if you are having cold hands or feet.
8- bring waifu to share body heat at night.

Attached: 20190130_191750.jpg (2166x1232, 2.59M)

Remember not to rub body parts that have frostbite it fucks them up more.

Attached: IMG_6949.jpg (1200x1600, 334K)

Attached: Snow Flectarn.jpg (2048x1365, 647K)

I would much prefer to just have a white carrier.
ty

What are those pants?

How much icing does it take internally until your gun is fucked and cant shoot/not safe to shoot?

somewhere between 0 icing and maximum icing

Thank you brother.

Logo looks like Blackhawk

go back to bora bora

Attached: borabora.jpg (450x600, 38K)

For First-Aid Basic Life Support:
Hypothermia-Warm blankets, get your patient out of environment, hand warmers under both armpits, neck area, and groin if possible remove wet clothing.
Hyperthermia-DO NOT DUMP COLD WATER ON PATIENT, passive cooling, cold packs under both arms and groin. A/c helps.

My man.

Attached: D2C3B0E4-E647-4DA1-817A-B720067310B8.jpg (225x224, 6K)

That silence at the crack of dawn is my favorite.

> Ironically, the LESS clothing you wear while sleeping inna sleeping bag, the better.
This is a dangerous statement. Forgive me, but if you are shivering in your bag put clothes on, if you are toasty and your pits are moisty, take a layer off.
The reason ECWS works is that it is designed to allow users to tailor the warmth in the bag to something survivable in the extreme cold. Of course if you have all your layers on and it is 40F you are going to be sweating, but if you are wearing your underwear and undershirt in the two bags at 15F all night, shivering, you are asking to be a cold casualty in the morning. Cold weather is a bitch because it can knock your ass out in 15 minutes after your body stops making up the difference regulating the burning calories.
To anyone that hasn't slept in the snow in a sleeping bag try it once for 4 hours without layers.
Unironically, a coyote fur parka with open pits might be the best be for snow trekkers. No one climbing a mountain wants to be seen wearing fur it seems.

Attached: Asking-K-for-gun-advice.jpg (1052x575, 80K)

>the LESS clothing you wear while sleeping inna sleeping bag, the better.
Why is this? Is it because the clothes end up insulating you from the heat that builds up in your sleeping bag?

I've been living in japan for a bit and can agree we need the metric system for at least weather, its so simple that 0 is freezing and anything above 40 is hot

>use Kerosene in place of gun oil
GTFO
> Don't let snow and ice into your gun, and especially do not let it melt and re-freeze in or on it
this is why you wrap your gun in a towel when you get warm or in the sleeping bag don't give gun choice - frozen ice or frozen dry.

So you think it's better to have a system where the entire range of human habitation exists within only a range of about 40 degrees difference, and the entire rest of the scale is only relevant for scientific purposes? Rather than a system where the entire scale of 0-100 accurately reflects the range of human habitation across various climates, with the numerical extremes at either end relating to the extremes of temperatures endurable for humans? I don't really see the logic there.

Read Maurice Herzog’s account of the first ascent of Annapurna in the 1950’s. Back then whipping frost bitten flesh was thought to restore circulation....

>be me
>be inna magical mitten
>gonna freeze to death when they cut the power and gas off because all those niggers along I-75 wont turn thier shit down.
>also fuck consumers and fuck ohio and fuck ontario and fuck whitmer

>barely enough snow to cover the ground
>"look at me guis im operatin in the cold"

There is nothing wrong with going month/day/year.

>there needs to be snow for it to be cold
Calicucks get the rape first

>tfw PC can play any war games I want without overheating.

Winter is the best time of year. Fuck summer.

Attached: 20181120_144900.jpg (248x308, 42K)

>Thanks to the weather this week

what are the chances Chicongo dies?

Very slim, currently around -24. Issue was the city moved around "Warming" buses for those outside of shelters and there has been no reports of power loss.

>Very slim, currently around -24

europoor here. it was -20°C this morning here. not an uncommon thing. isnt chicago quite far north and has loads of cold and snow in general? what's happening here? have they cut winter services in their global warming hysteria?

-20C is only -4F thats not really that cold like hoodie a good coat and gloves. it was -54F (-47.7c) with wind chill yesterday in chicago in the early morning. its just dont fucking go outside unless you have to weather.

>(-47.7c)

ok. sorry. that indeed is scary as fuck. but also interesting. would like to experience that low a temp some time....

look at this fag larper.

Attached: 1489910252257.png (665x465, 115K)

its fun for the like minute that it takes to throw a cup of boiling water out the door and watch it go poof after that it starts to hurt.

at 100% fan speed i can put my vga at 67ºC max, the cpu goes to 56ºC, fucking summer sucks

have you considered suicide? rope is inexpensive.

/gq/ did a cold weather edition. But most of it was niggas in Florida.

Attached: IMG_20181213_132732_869.jpg (3397x2364, 2.21M)

It's interesting the first time you go out but the novelty wears off quick. Nose hairs freeze instantly, can't go out for more than a few minutes without something covering your face, ice melt is useless. Luckily things will be warming up starting today.

Is pic related best semiautomatic rifle for the cold?

Attached: A9EAB30D-43D2-4C36-9A2B-25FA2EE45334.jpg (3866x2007, 2.24M)

Yup should be around a high around -4F (-20C) in Chicago today. Might go out to get some supplies.

It's a worthless anachronistic pile of unrelated units that have only ever been used by a small minority of the world's population. Sticking to such a "system" in a world of metric makes about as much sense as commuting by horse-drawn cart in a world of cars.

>Why is this?
It's ... a bit complicated, but you're mostly correct.

It's your own body heat that makes your clothes, blankets and sleeping bags warm.
If you keep lots of clothes on, the warmth from your digits will not mix and merge as well inside the bag, but will instead be stuck in the clothes' sleeves, creating a wonky insulation/conductor effect, no matter how much shit ya got on you.
This is why people give passed out folks a blanket even if they're indoors and fully clothed. Not to mention the air outside the bag will feel extra cool if you sleep all clothed.

tl;dr: more naked skin on skin = more warmth

Out of personal experience, I think it is.

Attached: extreme cold weather test.jpg (2158x986, 780K)

>GTFO
No, it's a legit tactic.

Arctic Warfare when?

Attached: ttharctic__2__58526a-1.jpg (940x1045, 135K)

Do you by any chance know what the name of that book is?

So. Is Alaska going to be frozen over from the Grand Solar Minimum? Should I still consider moving there?
pic unrelated

Attached: Pewpewpewsh-41.png (288x171, 62K)

fuck off we're full

I didn't say Australia you mong.

impressive, is there an official winter flecktarn pattern? using the regular green one with pic related an old cotton swedish snow smock over the top atm

Attached: $_86.jpg (1024x683, 125K)

>barely enough snow to cover the ground
>"look at me guis im operatin in the cold"

Most of the places that were at -40 for the last 3 days have ~6" on the ground, max. A lot of places have been too fucking cold to snow.

based on the bottom corner, id assume its the april 1986 edition of SWAT magazine

Wool increases your body temp by 1degree if wet.
Synthetics are ,of course, made from OIL and should be used as Base layers(for moisture wicking) and TOP layers for wind/waterproofing.

Weapons but I can recognize estonians even without those.
There seems to be something instinctual that makes me recognize estonians.

What is the purpose of rod in the ass?

Is a revolver better than a semi in the bitter cold?
I think yes due to requiring less lube but I have zero evidence of this

Most likely a ski pole

revolver is actually worst. Its mechanisms are exposed to the temperature and because of how metal likes to act when in stupidly cold temperatures, there is so much friction that reliability goes out the window. Polymer on the other hand is a different story. How over, I've seen specialized revolver mods where the cylinder crane's retention pins got groves on them so the build up ice crystals can be forced off with your hands and assist in cycling.

Seems interesting
So what would happen if I leave a 357 in water in an ammo can over night then hammered it out and shot it?