Sup Jow Forums

sup Jow Forums

I'm going camping for 4 days. I've only done true outdoor camping twice and learned alot from those times alone, down to saving weight by cutting my toothbrush to save some ounces. (Ounces equals pounds, pounds equal and pounds equals pain.) So a few questions.

How would I store canned food in the most efficient way when it comes to saving space and weight?

Besides the basics, (Food, flashlight, first aid, water, filtered water system, sleeping bag, tent,) What supplies would you bring that are underrated?

Attached: qf8o34W.png (636x564, 824K)

>Ounces equals pounds, pounds equal and pounds equals pain
wow OP here I fucked up.
Ounces to pounds, pounds to pain. didn't get much sleep.

fleshlight

Bringing something that isn’t canned.

>cutting my toothbrush to save some ounces

so if you cut off the handle you were sticking your dirty unwashed fingers in your mouth every time you brushed your teeth?

>carrying owb under the rucksack's waistband
What is this nigger doing?

replace canned food with freezedried food in a bag
get a lighter filter, a lighter smaller tent

things you forgot:
compass and map
bugspray
foam roll to put the sleeping bag on

A .22 or a small shotgun. If you’re in an area where you don’t have large animals, opt for the .22, it’s fun to plink and if you see some small game that’s in season you could take it if you have a license. If you’ve got larger predators I’d opt for a shotgun, with a few loads for such but more stuff for small game and plinking. Bring some rope of some sort and fire starters of any variety.

Don’t forget TP

This. There are other shelf-stable foods. Dried nuts and fruits, oats, flour, jerkey, certain kinds of bread.

He can also always hunt, long pig is always in season

>long pork
You'll get the shakes something vicious.

You could try emptying your canned food into a Ziploc baggie, at least for the first day or 2. I'm not sure how well that will work over time. I recommend getting some of those instant mashed potatoes, they are cheep and pretty good. Other good foods I've used are Summer Sausage, Couscous, Ramen w/ peanut butter and onions sauce (google Andrew Skurka Recipes), and tuna or spam single servings.
I recommend bringing a camp chair, either an REI one with a frame or one with just a seat and back.

>Summer Sausage
OP can’t bring your boyfriend everytime he goes camping

Dump your tent and get a shelter half (also called a basha/tarp etc.) and a bivvy bag to put your sleeping bag inside, it also takes up far less room
Sleeping mat cut to your body size, a folding sleeping mat is superior to a roll up one as it can be folded easily to be used as a seat or kneeling surface

A metal mug can replace cookware, saving weight and will save space as well as it can go with one of your water bottles, the downside to this is that you can't really fry stuff that well although if you're inventive you can do bacon and eggs

Don't cut your toothbrush down you retard, you can save that 1.5 ounces somewhere else without having to put your fingers in your mouth when brushing your teeth

Are you backpacking (covering a lot of miles) or are you just walking into the woods a bit and setting up shelter? If you are backpacking then ditch the canned food. Get some nuts, ramen, or boil-in-bag meals like Mountain House. Also look up ultralight backpacking. Most likely you have a bunch of cheap heavy gear. It will be fine for your first trip but if you enjoy it you will want to go ultralight and that is an art/science getting the pack down low. I solo hiked the John Muir trail (over 200 miles) a few years ago and yes, every ounce counts.

If you're concerned about weight, you should think of it as calories/oz. In which case, canned food is obviously retarded since half the weight you'd be carrying is inedible metal. Plus, if you're a decent human being and don't litter, you'll still have to carry all those empty metal cans for the remainder of the trip which will just be dead weight.

Buy a small backpacking stove and a 100g can of jetboil should be plenty for 4 days, then get some mountain house meals at walmart. That'll cut down on weight dramatically.

What's the climate like where you're going? Don't bring too much water if it's something you can easily get on the trail.

Hammock is also a viable option if you're in an area that has trees where you can hang it from.

>down to saving weight by cutting my toothbrush to save some ounces
>4 days
Jesus christ bud its 4 days with no timetable and no specified ground to cover, you could pack a palace and be fine.

>worrying about weight
>only going 4 days

I wear full slavshit larp gear and carry around a rifle for longer trips than that.

Bring a gun and make sure you have a good filtration unit.

Attached: 1545574142383.jpg (800x541, 161K)

You don't really need a lot. Most the time people bring stuff they don't even use from my experience.
>shelter
Sleeping bag, air pad, bivy, and tarp.
>water
Stainless bottle to boil. Water filter like a Sawyer.
>food
Oatmeal packets for breakfast. Power bars. Mountain house for dinner.
>clothing
Rain gear like gortex. Socks. Undies.
>med
Ifak for trauma. Boo boo kit separate for blisters, meds, ect.
>miscellaneous
Headlamp. Batteries. Cordage. Folding saw. Knife. Compass/gps.

You can get pretty light and still have everything you'll need. Canned food isn't light so I'd avoid that.

As for a bonus, I like packets of coffee and hot coco. Also in the soup section is small bottles or individually wrapped broth cubes. I like to drop one in boiling water and drink the broth with wild edibles. Doesn't weigh anything and gives your body a good warm up.

>canned food
>saving space and weight

No.

Get a tupperware container with a lid that seals water tight. Get a big ass thing or two of peanut butter. Get some of your favorite nuts. Get some dried fruit. Throw anything else in there you want really. Mix it all together in the tupperware. Take a spoon.

There you go bro, no cooking, super calorie dense food that takes up very little space and requires no extra water.

This is mostly right. I'd add a solar charger for phone/batteries.
>food
Alcohol stove and stainless steel camp pot. These stoves are super lightweight and super cheap. You can make one for the cost of a aluminum can and it's $1.50 for 12oz of fuel which lasts a long time. YouTube "double walled alcohol stove" for instructions on how to make. Then you can bring instant rice and canned meats or semi-dried sausage. Mountain House is really expensive, like $6 for a 400 calorie breakfast.
Like others said, get a Sawyer mini water filter
>clothing
extra socks
>misc.
an extra flashlight and extra batteries.

Just get out there, don't take big risks. Don't overextend yourself. Drink lots of water. Enjoy it.

Attached: DIY_Alcohol_Stove.jpg (620x340, 27K)

I've gone camping 216 times, OP. Don't bring cans, bring bagged beans, bagged rice, and a skillet.

I'd recommend titanium over stainless steel. It's just as strong and far lighter. Might cost a little bit extra, but spending $15 more is worth it considering it'll probably last forever.