Why are bike's not used more in war?

why are bike's not used more in war?
they are much faster than on foot while being just as quite and can be used on pretty much any terrain you could go on foot but would cover much larger distances
if you ever came to a spot where a bike wouldnt work then you could just ditch it anyway

Attached: bike.jpg (1000x667, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5-SIIRo-qAo
sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-military-surplus-army-mo-93-military-bicycle-7-speed-used?a=1847491&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-SZLA&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_campaign=CI
cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you make some good points

Because it's a stupid idea

useless in space

Attached: 1530473895549.jpg (598x600, 48K)

why not a tricicle for maximum stability

why

youtu.be/5-SIIRo-qAo

Attached: 1531512045145.jpg (331x506, 75K)

rub those two brain cells together for a few hours and see if you can figure it out

>can be used on pretty much any terrain you could go on foot
That is literally not the case. They are only good on flat, hard surfaces and well-trodden trails. Take a bike through a real forest (no trail) and tell me how far you get before you say "fuck this."

Because it sucks ass pedaling uphill or through boggy terrain. An ebike would be a better choice although range is dependent on battery size. For example without pedaling at all you’ll only get about 10 miles on pic related. You can use large batteries that fill the entire frame and get 50 or so miles. I’m surprised spec ops use loud ass dirt bikes instead but they’re probably covering more than 50 miles per op.

Attached: F9C5024E-F354-4A69-9595-7A11E0924ADE.jpg (599x400, 60K)

>Take a bike through a real forest (no trail) and tell me how far you get before you say "fuck this."
The most I've I made it in one go is about ~10 hours.

>That is literally not the case. They are only good on flat, hard surfaces and well-trodden trails.

I would be impressed if OP has ever even walked a trail.

>I’m surprised spec ops use
>implying you know what "spec ops" use or do

I've seen plenty of ODA team houses with вeлocиeпды.

You’d probably get about 40 miles from this one but ebike motors and battery’s are light with motors weighing around 15 pounds being able to propel you over 40 mph if over 2000 watts and battery’s are even lighter making pedaling still easily doable on good terrain

Attached: 832B875C-8059-41BF-8A7C-1A8989704D10.jpg (480x640, 88K)

Not on rough terrain with about 80 lbs of gear you haven't. You went on bike trails. Try riding a bike through ravines and through underbrush, faggot.

the germans used bikes with rocket launchers strapped to them after they ran out of just about everything in WW2

Lick my taint faggot prove it

www.bikeberry.com

Attached: 1E0DE035-692A-46D2-8FFF-5321769FB2EB-279-0000001C6AC5209D.gif (480x592, 578K)

Why are elephants not used more in war?
they are much faster than on foot while being just as quite and can be used on pretty much any terrain you could go on foot but would cover much larger distances
if you ever came to a spot where an elephant wouldnt work then you could just tie it up anyway.

Attached: EPC.png (750x880, 735K)

>maxxis

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com2.jpg (782x911, 116K)

>You went on bike trails
No. I didn't.

>Try riding a bike through ravines and through underbrush
My property borders ~1000 acres of state owned game lands.

Quit assuming shit dude.

captcha: bicycles

The Swiss Army had regiment velo-infantry until 2001.
The US would never use such a thing, though. Why spend 500 bucks each on a thousand bicycles when you could spend a billion dollars on a robot that you'll never use because it's too fragile and expensive to replace?

Sure, faggot. I totally believe you.

NPC detected. Stop with this "no you" shit.

sportsmansguide.com/product/index/swiss-military-surplus-army-mo-93-military-bicycle-7-speed-used?a=1847491&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-SZLA&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=shopzilla&utm_campaign=CI

Attached: 637593i_ts.jpg (1155x1155, 122K)

Thats a stupid fucking idea. Do you have any idea how far you would get on a bike with 80+ pounds of gear? Motorcycles are the smarter choice.

>balancing a full ruck on a rocky trail up a mountain
Nah fuck off retard.

too many idiots would hurt themselves trying to do stupid shit.

we need fucking dirt bikes

>with 80+ pounds of gear
I can't really remember ever doing a dismounted patrol where I was carrying 80 pounds of extra shit.

>
>balancing a full ruck on a rocky trail up a mountain
Balancing a full ruck on the side of a mountain at all. We're not going to be in shitfuckistan forever.

Route planning and map reading are a thing. If you're planning on traveling straight up or along a fat stack of contour lines, you're a fucking lieutenant.

>bikes are just as huge as elephants
>bikes require a shitload of food and water everyday like elephants
>bikes can get spooked and go out of control like elephants
fucking brainlet tier analogy

>only afghanistan has mountains
Haha so a temperate forest full of underbrush and soft ground? Ho boy that's even better!

On a bicycle you balance the load in panniers.
You don't just wear it all in a backpack. That would be silly.

Bicycle campers can load up to 60kg on their bikes.

Attached: touring_bike.jpg (736x414, 99K)

Because you need to carry gear? This call of duty bullshit of getting resupply with aircraft at anytime is bullshit and not realistic.

obviously motorbikes are better but im saying if you didnt have a motorbike and had to go somewhere on foot why would you not just go on a bike instead?

They tear ass through foliage and streams?

Amateur historian here, lets fire up this parade of horribles....

* A new piece of equipment that has to be spec'ed out, procured, and introduced into the supply system (along with lots of spare parts)

* One more piece of equipment an individual soldier would have to maintain (read: one more thing to break or lose)

* Would have to be introduced into training regimen

* Would also need accomodations for transport both singly and en masse

On deployment...

* Decreased situational awareness

* Much easier target to hit

* Difficult to ready a weapon to fight, let alone dismount

* If locks aren't issued, will be stolen in very short order

* Not suitable for a lot of theaters (looking at anyplace not really industrialized)

* Can't carry as much as a marching soldier (at best the load is separated)

Its kind of like ski troops. They are good for very narrow applications, and a lot of the bigger countries suck at narrow applications for general combat soldiers.

Attached: 1520634128492.jpg (731x1024, 72K)

Alright then dipshit

>have to carry spare bike parts
>have to carry the fucking bikes when you can no longer ride them
>how the fuck are you gonna balance on a bike with all your gear
>how are you going to have any functional security or maintain any kind of formation during movement

That's just off hand, now shut the fuck up and get in the humvee you stupid fuck.

It'd be good for transportation of soldiers during invasion, in which i mean a war where the invasion has plenty roads or flat areas
I would not reccomend it for actual battles though
Do it world war style and use it to get to the front quickly, or as a paratrooper

>I can't really remember ever doing a dismounted patrol where I was carrying 80 pounds of extra shit.

What did you even do? Half day walk arounds or some bullshit?

Attached: LeoDicaprioSA.jpg (300x200, 7K)

how come people are so triggered at the thought of bikes?
holy shit

if you think its a dumb idea or something then you could just say why but you guys are genuinely fucking mad

You've been given a million and a half reasons as to why it's a bad idea but every time you reply
>lol no its not I can do it
So why do you think people stopped arguing and just started calling you a retard?

Sweet, now I've got to pack and repack my shit every time we mount and dismount, on top of carrying this stupid ass bike around.

Oh fuck, looks like joe snuffys nods fell off a few hours ago

>They tear ass through foliage and streams?
Sure. It's fun. You ride off into the wilderness, camp out for a few nights, ride back home.

The more all-terrain focused touring bikes look a lot more like light duty mountain bikes and are pretty capable off-trail. Now, a squad of soldiers on these could cover far more distance than guys on foot, but could go places that motorized vehicles could not (i.e. you can always walk your bike up rocky terrain in a pinch) and make far less noise, don't need fuel, don't have engine heat signatures, etc etc.

You're just one of those glum losers that nobody likes to be around. I know your kind. You bitch and complain about everything as way of life. And eventually someone punches your nose.

I've been all over the globe and stationed all over the US. Bicycles are a fuck ass awesome way of getting around quite a lot of the time. OP's not implying that you ride bikes all the time, but when it's appropriate. It beats the fuck out of stomping around in boots.

Attached: why-dont-you-knock-it-off-with-them-negatives-waves-why-dont-you-dig-how-beautiful-it-is-out-here-wh (300x300, 88K)

>how come people are so triggered at the thought of bikes?
cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

>user comes up with idea
>presents it to the class for critique
>it gets critiqued
>user doesn't like answers and that no ones patting him on the back
>gets mad and starts crying
Maybe stick to coolmathgames for your first week on the internet?

im not the guy thats been replying though

US special forces tried to build an ebike for their purposes a decade or so ago. the end result was "ok" but didn't justify the money they were spending on it, so they just bought more gas dirtbikes.

I know some people who worked on this project. pretty sure you can google up some more info, it's not classified or anything.

It's because some people are tired of seeing stupid ass ideas get brought up all the time, over and over generally.

That you never even stopped and thought about just a few of the obvious downsides, then acted like a cunt when you were told it's a bad idea pisses me off.

Oh boy that's just what we need, another fucking thing to keep track of by the thousands, maintain, and pay for special aircraft aluminum bike chains for $1k a pop. Pass.

but there were a few people who though it was alright
besides he isnt the one who presented it because he isnt OP

>trying to get burgers to ride a bicycle
o i am laffin

MRAP's are also a stupid fucking idea. I've seen them have to call in airstrikes on them because they rolled down the cliff and were unrecoverable. A bicycle would've been a better diea.

Attached: 32425123432525.jpg (736x635, 73K)

Attached: 43204912904.jpg (595x230, 26K)

>acted like a cunt
how?
he just asked a question then immediately it was just ad hominems and swearing

You want to ride a bike through IED country into an ambush?

Are you seriously comparing a vehicle designed to be resistant to IEDs to a fucking bicycle?

You should be castrated to spare future generations your idiocy.

lmao I would just skateboard then kickflip over them
get with it gramps

>I can't really remember ever doing a dismounted patrol where I was carrying 80 pounds of extra shit.

Non combat arms detected

Attached: 1548236640624.jpg (1024x647, 185K)

>and pay for special aircraft aluminum bike chains for $1k a pop.
This is why it would never fly in America. Also Bicycles in the US are something children used to ride around on before they got their driver's lisence...well that was before over-protective parents stopped allowing children to leave the house at all.

Horses were the first mode of transportation in Afghanistan. As a matter of verifiable fact they ditched their ATV's in favor of the mountain ponies.

You've never been in an MRAP for days at a time. I'll take my chances on the bike.

Attached: cac633ead1ac1776269e856ff75a379d--green-beret-military-photos.jpg (736x552, 107K)

we do have war bicycle but they all sit in conexes next to all the other future tech

Special forces gets to do cool guy UNconventional warfare type shit us average joes are stuck with what we have for conventional warfare
I.e get in the humvee Shinji

Attached: 405f6982db43a468396710fabb4c8a87--dark-side-pretty-much.jpg (236x215, 12K)

Above top secret, they do.

Brings a new meaning to "asymmetrical warfare"

Attached: DeltaCAGTeam6.jpg (1024x768, 365K)

>ditched

Horses are what they had to work with you dipshit, after we had been there long enough for proper logistics and all the SF were fucking about the countryside in all manner of cool stuff, I saw them whipping around on 4wheelers with guns mounted on them. And eat a dick I spent days at a time cooped up in those pieces of shit plenty.

Attached: IED.jpg (604x402, 53K)

The Japanese used bicycle infantry to great success. Blitzkrieg'ed most of Malaya with it.

Attached: ww2-bicycle-infantry.jpg (1544x1054, 475K)

>Pentagon tried to design some thing pretty simple but not exactly necessary
>Ends up being mediocre and costing million of taxpayer dollars
>some chinese dudes throw something together and sell it for $400 on aliexpress

it writes itself

that isn't exactly what happened.

the DoD hired an american company who was already making stuff for humvees (I forget what, some sort of upgrade package) back when basically nobody in the US knew anything about ebikes. the company spent a couple years figuring it out, hiring experts and such (including the people I know, hence why I know about this), and presented a few prototypes that met the requirements. then the DoD realized that their requirements weren't sufficient for the task at hand and the whole thing went down the drain.

the bike itself only cost like $10,000, which was pretty decent for the level of technology they were using at the time (carbon fiber frames, some hardcore battery tech that was pretty rare/expensive at the time, etc). you can probably build the same bike today for half that and with better parts. remember that this was being built entirely in the US so you don't have access to all the cheap chinese suppliers which make up 99% of modern ebike sources.

also, a $400 chinese ebike is dogshit. those are only acceptable in china because every other street corner has an ebike repair shop with a guy who'll fix your bike for pennies. in the US people expect an ebike to work like a car (tens of thousands of miles between service) or like a bike (any idiot can fix one), when in reality they're not really like either. you have to spend at least a couple grand in the US to get an ebike that will fit american expectations of reliability and performance.

also as a point of trivia the whole reason they wanted these things to begin with was for airborne guys who would land somewhere and establish airfields/FOB's in the middle of nowhere. the DoD had this idea that an ebike would be better than a dirtbike because it was quieter, didn't rely on gasoline supplies (you just packed along a couple of batteries), and you could just throw the whole thing away once you were done with it.

the real problems they ran into is that batteries in the early 00's weren't that good (they're much better now) and the bike was pretty fucking heavy. they were looking for something you could literally strap to a dude and send down with him. probably possible today - carbon frames are WAY better than they used to be - but batteries are still pretty heavy, all things considered.

Step aside, the Jews' got this.

Attached: img_3076.jpg (725x887, 287K)

Dumb idea for war, but a great idea for setting up targets at the range.

if you are just an amateur historian don't call yourself a historian

Yummy. Enemies on bikes following predictable routes through the terrain. Even the Vietcong would see this as a wonderful opportunity to deploy stone age era 'obstacles'.

>user forgot the vietcong used bicycles

Attached: hn_VIEP-120800-BIKE-01_1200x480.jpg (1200x480, 613K)

Of course. Charlie don't surf. He had to find his fun elsewhere.

Biker here. You don't need spare parts and if you really wanted to in military type bike packing situations, they wouldn't be too bulky, along with some allen wrenches. Bike packers easily carry lots of weight different bags on a bike. I can understand about security and having to carry it around during certain situations, however as primary transport, it is very capable and there generally isn't too much terrain you can't ride on except for loose sand in deserts or beaches or if things are way to gnarly.

Imagine 20 guys with full packs, speeding along on their bikes on a trail through let's say Iraqi mountains. Suddenly one bike collapses as a wheel hets ripped apart on a sharp rock on something. What does the unit do? Leave the last guy behind? Or does all the 19 others drop their bikes and start trudging along with him on foot?

Or what if the 20th guy falls really badly and breaks a leg? How to proceed?

>cant really ever remember doing anything with 80+lbs
IOTV with front and back plates only is 30lbs. ACH is 4lbs. Basic load is 22lbs. M4 with ACO is 8lbs. icom+ptt is ~5lbs. 3L camelbak is 9lbs. IFAK is ~1lb. Bam, barest minimum gear is already 79lbs. This is before grenades, additional comms, NVGs, ammo for the 60s or the 240, additional personal ammo, and any specialty gear like flexcuffs, CLS bag, etc.

My assault load was 117lbs after basic uniform.

I've wanted one of those for years, but oh lawd that price. Plus I'm probably too tall and lanky for it

Honestly? I think because it makes the Infantry feel silly.

Attached: second-world-war-german-bicycle-infantry.jpg (1300x997, 180K)

Bullshit, I import e bikes and you can go 80kms+ on a 1000w motor. Only takes like 20min to fully charge

Nvm didn't bother any further

This is what you get for not buying a South African MRAP

This isn't true
Only Special forces used Horses in Afghanistan, retard

>inb4 I was in Afg-
No you weren't, stop role playing

Been there, done that.

Attached: normal_DSC04090.jpg (517x700, 142K)

They are in fact there is a surplus swedish scout/runner bike at a local surplus store

Try biking with 80 pounds of equipment, wait whats that? Oh shit its an enemy, lemme just awkwardly fall of my bike and pin my gun under myself

Attached: unknown-3.png (640x904, 1.22M)

Attached: 1538855630879.jpg (500x377, 43K)

Attached: fucking_wops.jpg (750x1109, 456K)

Attached: 1464168280398.jpg (592x887, 110K)

*blitzes ur Gibraltar of the East*

Attached: downloadfile-18.jpg (400x254, 34K)