What does Jow Forums think of Jarhead?

I see this film get brought up here a lot and many have mixed opinions. Was it really an accurate representation of modern warfare, or is it just another anti-war trash film?
>I personally love it for the soundtrack, only time you’ll hear Nirvana in a film

Attached: F92B10A0-E359-4FF0-9634-F632E8FB5574.jpg (260x384, 11K)

Better than Hurt Locker at least.

Absolutely the most realistic retelling of desert shield.

I never served but it seemed to capture the general aesthetic of the entire US force just doing fuck all wandering around the desert pretty well

Generation Kill is the most accurate for GWOT kino. Also Jarhead isn't really "modern warfare" we're about to hit 30 years since D.S.

I don't see how it's anti-war. The point the author of the book and the director were trying to get across is that war is not the glorified adventure it's made out to be in most Hollywood movies, and it isn't the endless misery that anti-war writers make it out to be. 99% of war is just absolute sheer boredom and stupidity, with 1% tragedy thrown in to boot. The scene where the main character's spotter starts crying because some officer came in and decided to call in an air strike instead of letting them shoot their target always got me. The guy crying was desperate, to the point of tears, just to be able to go home and say he did something.

I was part of a Gulf War Veterans group on Facebook for a while and I posted about this movie once and they all said it was Hollywood bullshit. I don’t know if all of them were infantry or not, but if they said it’s not accurate then…

Jarhead was based off a memoir.

The director said he wrote it for anti war purposes. When Swolford says “every War is different, every War is the same.” He meant that every war has different weapons, soldiers, tactics, experiences, etc. but In every War there is suffering.
>the scene where the Vietnam vet gets on the bus and he looks at swolford, and even though what they went through was completely different, they both understood eachother and their pain

This. The fags bitching on Facebook were probably POGs and didn't want people realizing that they didn't do anything during the war because then they might stop getting their claps and free chicken tendies at Burger King on Veteran's Day

It's a story about a USMC Puke who trained as a sniper and was denied his only chance to put his months in the sand box and training to good use by a glory hound officer IE it was a story about Blue Balls

they should have titled it "the green weenie"

Attached: 1548739468044.jpg (420x420, 59K)

Yeah that’s why I thought it was weird why they said that. They were probably pogs, tankers/pilots, or just in denial
That scene and the part where they showed he died of suicide got to me big time

Desert Storm is called “the first modern war”
>look at the USMC website, they say so themselves

What if I told you guys after seeing Jarhead it made me want to be a marine more. Am I retarded?

>join marines
>do literally nothing
>”wah I’m so traumatized”
It’s garbage for lefties.

I mean I love the movie and it’s anti-war message, and I still want to go Infantry. But it sure as hell didn’t make me want to join even more

>and it isn't the endless misery that anti-war writers make it out to be.
to be fair I imagine the ww1 soldier experience to be as horrid as they make it out to be
I cant imagine being the disease ridden trenches for months while bits of your comrades are sticking out of the walls and your shitting place is a prime spot to be artillery target practice
and then waiting for those endless barrages that last for hours or days, jesus fuck

Jarhead is my favorite warmovie. I'd rather watch documentaries about battles or read history books then watch hollywood garbage that gets it all wrong.

Also all war movies should be inherently antiwar as war is pointless suffering for no god damn reason. You can glorify heroics and courage but it shouldn't dehumanize people.

I know the intentions of the author were anti-war but I didnt get that from the movie. My eyes on the movie is that desert storm was too fast for infantry. There was no point in him thinking he'd see action. He lied to himself believing the call to arms as if it was another world war.
To me the movie is more about a man failing to understand his position in the world.
Like an assembly line worker at a car factory who thinks he will assemble an entire truck. And not just be another cog.

Absolutely hilarious, almost as funny as the butthurt faggots whining about how no sex tape as ever confirmed

No fucking shit no one ever produced that for the press, why the fuck would that ever be anything other than a story, likely true, back in the days before modern internet? I dont even think you COULD upload a movie if you wanted to back then, so the only copies would be hard copies

this is a good take on it

>to be fair I imagine the ww1 soldier experience to be as horrid as they make it out to be
And you'd be wrong, sort of. We all look at WWI and think of the war on the Western Front in the trenches, but that's actually not how most of the war was fought. Even on the Western Front, there were vast swatches of land that weren't heavily stalemated and dug into trenches. Not a lot of action happened in those places. There would be the occasional firefight every few days, someone would launch an offensive and then lose it a week later, but it was pretty low-scale conflict. Same with the Middle East, where most of the war was just hit-and-run skirmishes between colonial troops and reservists. The reason we think of WWI of being a horrible meat grinder is because that's the part of the war that received the most attention, and so that shapes our collective memory of it.

An analogy: let's say you're ten years old. Your parents take you to Disneyland one day. You're having a great time, but there's a few things that happen that bugged you. The teacup ride broke down while you were on it, one of the guys working at a hot dog stand accidentally spilled mustard on your mom's dress, and two guys got into a fight in the line for "It's a Small World" and pulled out submachine guns and started killing like 30 people until the SWAT team arrived and blew their brains out.

50 years down the road, do you think you'll remember the broken teacup ride, the mustard stain, or the shootout?

You do realize that being broken down mentally and being rebuilt as hardcore killing marines built for killing and never being used for that purpose is just a mentally straining as full-out combat right?
Imagine
>getting ass fucked by DIs at Parris Island for three months
>getting told constantly you’re only purpose is to kill
>”you’re not a real marine until you kill 3 men”
>get screamed at everyday, being told that you’re going to get shot, get blown up, kill, etc.
>major war on the horizon
>saddam has the 5th biggest army in the world
>US declares war
>get deployed to the Middle East
>spend 6 months in the 120 degree weather while back home wives and girlfriends are cheating and being unfaithful
>you’re in the war, without being part of it
>finally ground operations start
>get shot at by mortars, but the enemy runs away before you get your revenge
>finally get a chance to do your job
>it gets taken away by some fat POG with his CAS
>never get the chance to do your part
>war ends
>go home to find Girlfriend was unfaithful
>get thanked fr your service even though you didn’t do anything
>go through the rest of your life while your best buddies grow distant or die
>”we are still in the desert”

>swatches
swathes*

I'm a GW vet and found this film to capture the time and place very well. This was a faithful adaption of a good memoir.

Were you Infantry? USMC? Greentext?

>those guys get to have all the fun
Shouldve been a lesson to the entire group of marines.
Why the fuck did a bunch of crayon eaters think an entire war would rely on them when we have air superiority?

Attached: jarhead-a10-735x413.jpg (735x413, 37K)

b-b-b-but Jow Forums told me airplanes can't stand on the street corners and issue edicts!

>The guy crying was desperate, to the point of tears, just to be able to go home and say he did something.

I'll tell you why the guy cried. Because he wanted war, was trained for war, was ready to die in war, and was indoctrinated from the first time he set foot in a recruiters office that all his idols were to be Marines who made kills, and that unless he could get a kill he was a nobody. And he had this one fucking chance to pull it off and some asswipe officer killed his dream right then and there. He knew he was going to be discharged and it was all fucking over.

It isnt hard to understand airplanes out in a desert would have free roam and majority of the combat effectiveness. Especially when uncontested.

They can't. If they could then Infantry would cease to exist as infantry are a like blackhole for money.

The main issue with that scene was the POG fuck just waltzing up to those guys easy peasy, unless I am remembering it wrong

Shouldnt him being there have given it away taht someone was out there? I mean yeah, Iraqis were shit, but still

But this was a different type of anti war. When we think of anti war we think of “All Quiet on the Western Front” or the D Day scene from Saving Private Ryan. Shit like: people dying, crying for their mother, big firefights, bodies being blown apart, etc. but Jarhead shows a different side of war. There’s no big battles or firefights, infact that’s why it’s antiwar. Our military now is all volunteer, if someone wants to see combat they go infantry. And so a lot of troops really want to see combat. People enlist because they want to fight (look at this board if you don’t believe me) and Jarhead shows that war is not like Saving Private Ryan anymore. Modern warfare is depression, alcoholism, and stress. Jarhead shows this perfectly. I know many COD kids that were planning on enlisting by after watching this movie they decided to do something else

This. Also the fact that he was going to be getting a dishonorable discharge and shit got to him

anyone who set's their highest sights on simple infantry hoping to ever do anything interesting deserve their disappointment. if someone really wanted to have an important job and/or truly felt they would be a valuable part of a team of people in actual battle, (aside from doing actual research) they'd set higher goals for themselves like going for rangers or sf, or seals or even a pj (even though theyre pretty over-glorified, too)

Some people can’t try out for special forces (whether obese or can’t get a security clearance etc) but movies show that stanadard infsntry are the ones who see combat.
>I.e Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Band of Brothers, Hacksaw Ridge, etc

If you're obese or can't get a security clearance you've got no business being in the military to begin with.

y tho?

I was just naming random stuff but I’m joining the military and I can go SF because my references would snitch on me when it comes to my security clearance

what did you do?

Cant*

Attempted Suicide, therapy, Prozac, etc. I was a dumb kid but I’m good now, been good for 4 years

so what are some movies that show it "correctly"?
besides jarhead

Off the top of my head FMJ is a good one, it exaggerates things but it shows how training breaks down people and then in the second half shows the pointlessness of war. That vietcong girl was to told to give her life and try to kill as many american soldiers as possible. But if you really want to see things that show it correctly, read. Words will always get things likes this across better than pictures. I recommend One Soldier's War, it's probably one of the best.

Read the book faggot.

Literally every war movie now a days is about special forces (mainly seals)

Generation Kill was awesome. It’s about the 1st recon Marines. It goes over in the beginning about the Marines getting upset wondering if they’ll ever get to fire a shot. And then all hell breaks loos as they blitz to Baghdad. Pretty cool, but I never got finish it though

Spoiler alert they all get blown up by IEDs

icepick makes it out though

the film was annoying a fuck. Faggot whines the entire time he never gets to murder a sandnigger for israel. The movie ends with him having the audacity to liken himself to a jaded vietnam vet. It was in mindblowingly bad taste and completely lacking in introspection.

t. brainlet

The only brainlet is looking you in the mirror. The protagonist is completely unsympathetic. He went to a glorified summer camp and the worst thing that happened to him was his whore HS gf left him. Soldiers before and after shit on his experience.

>implying all are all vehicles and tech aren't that old still.

This. All he did was exercise for a few months and play with guns in the desert. And yet he whines and acts like he's some scorned warrior who saw awful shit. Dude's a fucking poser and a crybaby. Guys in WWII literally fought their way across the Pacific and Europe and they got on with their lives afterwards and didn't whine about it. Our generation is a bunch of fucking soft queers.

>uys in WWII literally fought their way across the Pacific and Europe
most WW2 vets didn't see combat

Proportionally a lot more did than current vets, and again, they didn't whine about it for years afterwards.

That’s why it sucked. He wanted to be like those guys. They were his heroes. His dad was a Vietnam vet with a thousand yard stare. And yet when e came back from war he had a thousand yard stare. You don’t know what it’s like to be broken down mentally and be treated terribly to only go off for war, your only purpose, and being denied of it in front of you. It’s like losing your virginity. There’s all the talk of sex and what you’re going to do (like how they scream they’re going to kick Iraqi ass in the beginning) and then after many failed attempts they finally get their chance to get some (when they’re in the tower about to the general) but then the girl says no and tells you to fuck off (when the fat POG comes in and steals their kill)

>waaaaah waaaaaaaaah my drill sergeant called me mean names and I didn't get to shoot a sandnigger!
Fucking cry some more, faggot. Nobody gives a shit. This is why so many people think modern vets are a fucking joke. You try to get all philosophical and melancholic about something that
1) you shouldn't hope to ever have to do
and 2) nobody back home gives a shit about

Guys in WWII went through a meatgrinder because their country needed them, yet (most) of them had the fucking common decency not to whine about it for the rest of their lives. They had a job to do, they did it, regardless of whatever capacity they were needed in. And then when it was over they settled back into their lives. Modern vets go to the sandbox and fire grenade launchers into some farmer's feed shed and then come back home and whine about how they saw some shit and act like they're so emotionally fucked up that they'll never settle into civilian life again.

You're posers. Stop whining, get a real job, and move on with your life.

current combat vets would see several magnitudes of combat more the WW2 combat vets. transportation changed, warfare has changed.

WW2 was a few days at the front then weeks in the rear, vietnam for example was in the shit for weeks at a time then a few days in the rear.

>they didn't whine about it for years afterwards.
oh they did, many drank themselves to death, beat their wives and children.

It's a fucking shitheap of a movie, jarheads like because it reminds them of how much life in the Corps sucked and how much 99% of their service during wartime is "standing by to stand by".

Fuck off faggot. This is emo tier bullshit. You're traumatized because you didn't have a traumatizing experience? Fuck off with that bullshit. It's fucking embarassing and a D-Day vet would lose his fucking mind hearing someone blabber on like this.

>meat grinder
The only US troops to see meatgrinders would be the troops in the Pacific. But even then it would be weeks, months of inaction then high intensity combat.

>And then when it was over they settled back into their lives
Why do you keep repeating this? Why are you trying to downplay their suffering? They became alcoholics, drank themselves to death, beat their wives.

A very good and accurate movie about the military. Not a good "War" film by traditional means.

That’s the point of the movie, it’s showing what modern war is like
You’re telling me you never wanted to feel the excitement of combat? The adventure of war? It’s a natural feeling for men, War is to men what motherhood is to women

the difference is WWII vets in the shit had a way more dangerous enemy. A vast minority of modern vets get maimed and damaged. A lot of them complain of bullshit now because they are heavily incentivized to. I've lost track of the number of army vets claiming PTSD disability who served as line cooks in (modern day) Germany.

It’s antiwar

you must be over18 to post here

>current combat vets saw more combat than wwii vets
Source? I seriously don’t think this is true, special forces maybe but definitely not regular infantry

>That’s the point of the movie, it’s showing what modern war is like
I'm just mad after all those years cause those trailers were deceptive as fuck.

Literally look at any infantry men in the military right now. They were not forced to go infantry, they chose to. Now, why would you choose a combat MOS if you don’t want to see combat?

>dangerous
not really. They faced a uniformed enemy adhering (mostly) to the "rules" of war. Modern vets faced hidden dangers involving IEDS, un-uniformed combatants, green on blue. They get anxiety attacks from just seeing garbage on the side of the road. They lived life expecting to be attacked at any moment, every step could be their last as there is no front line - no safe rear positions.

"combat" counts as IEDs, pot shots, the base being mortared and the occasional firefight. I'm about to drive home so I can't give a source but you have to take in account the changes in warfare and especially changes in transportation. In WW2 you either had the good old chevrolegs, trucks, or trains.

In Vietnam its was something like the average soldier would see 180 days of combat and in WW2 it would be less than 10 days.

I hate the trailers too but I think they did that on purpose, hear me out
>movie centers on troops getting ready for all our war
>sadden has 5th biggest army in the world
>commits massive war crimes
>has tanks and mustard gas
>get told the war will be a meat grinder
>get to country and find out the entire war will be won solely by CAS
Onto the trailers
>trailers show lots of fast paced combat
>plays Jesus Walks by Kayne West
>looks like a war film
>go to see it and find the whole movie has no battle scenes
>you start to feel exactly like those troops who thought they would see combat

Old coworker of mine was USMC during Storm the Dessert. If his word is to be taken as faithful he was part of the Marine combat infantry that went into Kuwait after the Republican Guard had pulled out. According to him, they found an Arab crucified to the front door of his house because the Iraqis thought he was a spy/assisting US Air Force bombings. Out of a misguided sense of revenge, or possible because they just wanted to kill someone, they made a surrendering Iraqi soldier run blindfolded into the desert and then threw a hand grenade at him. Alternatively, he took that all from a book and actually spent the entirety of the war sitting on a landing ship dodging nothing but sea gull shit, waiting for a beach head that never materialized.

how is this adding to the argument that jarheads protagonist had it so bad? He literally elected to be there. At summer camp. Talking bullshit. It's why it's so insulting when he compares himself to a ragged vietnam vet, who most likely was conscripted and torn apart by the war he was made to fight at gunpoint

Restrepo

nigger what? Are you familiar with the Pacific theater? Fucking ignorant zoomer.

I am familiar with the pacific theatre.

It has aged very poorly.

Clearly you fucking aren't. Read a book sometime, nigger. Many of the guys in the Pacific were there the whole fucking war, back to back battle after battle for 4 years. Ah but who am I kidding, you're a fucking retard, that's why you joined the military to begin with. I can't expect you to know how to read those funny symbols on the big magazines used by smart people

Low IQ two choice
Army
Marines

Months of inaction between battles sitting on a ship with destination unknown.

I was talking about vietnam earlier

>Myth: The common belief is that the fighting in Vietnam was not as intense as in World War II.
>Fact: The average infantryman in the South Pacific during World War II saw about 40 days of combat in four years. The average infantryman in Vietnam saw about 240 days of combat in one year thanks to the mobility of the helicopter. One out of every 10 Americans who served in Vietnam was a casualty. 58,148 were killed and 304,000 wounded out of 2.7 million who served. Although the percent that died is similar to other wars, amputations or crippling wounds were 300 percent higher than in World War II. 75,000 Vietnam veterans are severely disabled. MEDEVAC helicopters flew nearly 500,000 missions. Over 900,000 patients were airlifted (nearly half were American). The average time lapse between wounding to hospitalization was less than one hour.

My middle school security guard was a Tank Loader in a M1 Abrams during Desert Storm. His biceps are massive.

>walked into a house during searches
>walk into this massive dudes house in a nice part of baghdad
>he has a massive wall portrait of frank frazetta conan with a girl hugging his leg
>he looks at me and says 'good?'

Yeah, it was good

Attached: 1417094646115.jpg (640x480, 71K)

Pretty accurate description of current warfare post GWOT the scale had downshifted greatly but people still act like we are getting ambushed daily which we aren't
joined 2010 still in times have changed

Attached: 1548230463085.jpg (480x522, 19K)

Not him but no and read a book nigger

War is the normal state for humanity. Peace is the aberration.

I think a lot of it has to do with environment. This isn't the jungle with lots of soft cover and plenty of places to hide. If either you or the enemy attempt to launch an attack over that flat-ass, big-ass desert, you'll just be taken out from 200m before you have a chance to retaliate.

Yep I talked to a guy that was older than me and had a few years in more than I
We reached the conclusion that the amount of training could be infinite but that random mortar at 3am or random ied left over that went off accidently because of rain or wind 10 meters away from you punched your ticket would be unstoppable

We create really intelligent weapons and instead of giving us more control over our world it gives us less. What a fucking philosophical quandary.

Yep $400000 counter measure defeated by simple 10$ phone or just reprogammig the frequency on certain stimulation for free

Honestly one thing I feel is lacking from all anti-war media is criticism on scale. Lots of anti-war media is anti-violence in general, but I'm not like that. We're humans, we're animals. We're the progeny of our ancestors who aeons ago killed and raped all the nice humans. We crave violence, competition and death but are frustrated that our only outlets for it these days are virtual or don't actually matter, like in the case of going to war. Our ancestors fought tribes with clubs where the strongest and best fighters were left alive and fought to protect their own tribe and gain the food of women of the opposing tribe. Today we sit around gambling cigarettes in the desert deep in hadji land where there are no fucking hookers and either wait for our guys to bomb the shit out of them or their guys to bomb the shit out of us. And for what? To protect some oil pipeline so when we get back home the price of gas has doubled again.

>Today we sit around gambling cigarettes in the desert deep in hadji land where there are no fucking hookers and either wait for our guys to bomb the shit out of them or their guys to bomb the shit out of us. And for what? To protect some oil pipeline so when we get back home the price of gas has doubled again.
Yep war has changed bro as i tell my FNGs there is no exciting operating operationally like operators going on it's just a game of hurry up and wait to collect a paycheck and bennies
We serve the interest of the nation and those who lead it which is usually the rich with an agenda in the end I give them the answer to why.
Why...? It's simple fng fuck you that's why now shut up and let's kill time or stay alive and out of trouble until we can drink again!

Like I could go into the specifics of geopolitics and how important it is that we hold bumfuck nowhere in the desert but at the end of the day, it's still hard to justify why you, why YOU specifically are in the desert, sitting around a shaded camp and box fans guarding something from Iraqis who are probably numb to your presence by now.

It's no wonder they wanna replace soldiers with robots.

>Like I could go into the specifics of geopolitics and how important it is that we hold bumfuck nowhere in the desert but at the end of the day, it's still hard to justify why you, why YOU
I have out of boredom I usually get blank stares and nods and I give up but desu some of the geo political reasons make no sense no matter what angle you look at it from
So staying alive drinking and fucking bitches is my go to while doing stupid shit
I am both as seen as the greatest and worst NCO ever

I'm not even in the military, the only thing that made me think about it was my friend's stories from the Foreign Legion about how he actually saw combat. All I could think is "action? Life or death? Sign me up."

Unfortunately I got extremely depressed and became a fat slob because I started seriously considering it as a life option.

>"wah i'm so traumatized that i had to be bored in the desert"

>Unfortunately I got extremely depressed and became a fat slob because I started seriously considering it as a life option.

I mean it's not the best life but it's not the worst life come in with knowing it's really nothing but being a useful idiot it ain't that bad
Civi life can be just as bad
Just take care of your joints the best you can and dont think too much about retarded decisions you should be fine
But if you want to get out after 3 yrs I don't blame you to each their own live life how you want to I am a fuck up tbqh

The sequals are better.