What's the perfect size for a survival knife. Jow Forums?

What's the perfect size for a survival knife. Jow Forums?

Attached: chris-reeve-pacific-plain-edge-flat-dark-earth__56290.1507906144.jpg (1200x857, 392K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YYC9xrOsQj0
youtube.com/watch?v=vJS1SepHop0
amazon.com/Knife-King-Damascus-Handmade-Quality/dp/B00E4MATDI/ref=pd_sbs_200_13?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00E4MATDI&pd_rd_r=5ffeea9f-2741-11e9-be91-c98cce466c71&pd_rd_w=znjg8&pd_rd_wg=JEjRV&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=7DHPRQGC32P0DHA0EZB9&psc=1&refRID=7DHPRQGC32P0DHA0EZB9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whatever blade length an ak bayonet is. Now they are horrible knives but the size is right.

>What's the perfect size for a survival knife. Jow Forums?
A gun

Attached: ruger-lcrx-22-3-inch.jpg (600x475, 117K)

Are Abe and Moe knives good? I have a 30% off coupon but I don't know anything about them

Attached: Abe-and-Moe---A-Spot---AM1-04.jpg (1920x1000, 2.15M)

Something lightweight, and probably small.
youtube.com/watch?v=YYC9xrOsQj0

Depends on what you're doing with it.
Larger blades are good at chopping while smaller blades are good at more fine detailed carving task.

My main blade for the last year while doing bushcraft has been the Tops Fieldcraft knife. It's a good medium in size and compliments a Bacho laplander folding saw and gransfors bruks forest axe nicely.

If I had only a knife and was in a winter setting I'd go with the Condor Hudsonbay knife. It's large, makes shelter and firewood with ease. Just not the best for fine carving, but a Opinel pocket knife can handle that.

combat knife would be Jow Forums related, survival is /out/

You said survival knife, but posted a combat knife in your picture OP. To answer your question though, a survival knife, is not a combat knife. A survival knife is meant for cutting tasks and heavy duty use. They tend to have no finger guard so that you may choke up on your knife and do fine cutting tasks that you might require in a survival situation when building shelter or making traps for prey. Survival knifes also tend to be on the smaller end, something that's not too big and weighty, you're more likely to carry something like that, as opposed to a borderline machete sized knife. The general consensus on knife length for survival (which in reality means bushcraft applications) is four inches, but it can be as short as 3 or as long as 7. Lastly, one thing to take into consideration, is your environment. You might be better served with a machete in tropical environments, and better served with a hatchet in environments where one would be chopping and cutting a lot of wood.

In regards to combat knife, if you actually meant a dedicated fighting knife, the type of steel is of little importance since this is a knife you wont be cutting things with, just carrying for the off chance you'll have to stab someone. Zombies don't exist and aren't real, and you're unlikely to survive and/or be in multiple knife fights. In a fighting knife, you'd be looking more for the shape of the blade. Different blade shapes provide different attacks and possibilities. In the end, something like a dagger is the most appropriate.

>carrying a knife longer than your dick
Do you want the squirrels to laugh at you thinking you have a small penis?

The perfect survival knife size is the size knife you can carry on you every day. Realistically that makes the folding knife/pocket knife the perfect survival knife. For an all around fixed blade knife I would say near 5 inches.

The perfect survival knife exists. It is called a machete.

Pic related is my dirt cheap linder hd hunter, keyboard for comparison. Cheap, full tang, does everything I've asked it to, except chopping, got a small axe for that. 12cm blade length is small enough to easily stow it away in a pocket, but still larger than the typical pocket knife

Attached: IMG_20190201_164714.jpg (4160x3120, 2.15M)

Or an axe + quality knife. This whole use a single knife for everything fad is pure cringe.

esee 4 with extended handle or esee 5

/thread/

I look forward to seeing you baton wood or skin a rabbit with a snubnose revolver.

Ontario Rtak 2

>find some fool with a survival knife, force him to complete these tasks for you at gunpoint.

The Schrade SCHF9 is the only choice. Batons wood like its nobody's business, I use mine for setting up campfires and it hasn't gone dull yet (started using it in November).

Attached: Schrade-SCHF9-10.jpg (600x400, 106K)

>survival
kek, I'm glad /out/ moved away from that pathetic shit a while ago.

Even at 70%, overpriced.

The perfect size is two. As in two knives. One 3-4" blade, one 9"+ blade.

>posting from 1996

3-4 inch blade
And get a hatchet or 3/4 axe

>In the end, something like a dagger is the most appropriate
(you) for informative
could you give me an example of some cool daggers?

*some examples

depends. For batoning, you want to go bigger, like 10-12 inches. For slicing and cutting, you want to go smaller.

whatever the minimum blade length to baton shit around you is

The little ricky is good tho, and does everything

Agreed, but I like the SCHF28 (little ricky) because its stabbier (even tho its makes batoning riskier)

>Now they are horrible knives but the size is right.
Are AK bayonets really horrible knives?

Well, they're bayonets, not knives for any other purpose, so outside of the utility they were intended for (stabbing, opening cans, cutting wire) they suck. They're not sharp.

As a zoomer I love your retro keyboard.

The metal is garbage and cant retain an edge.

Fairbairn Sykes dagger. I also like the cold steel's Tai Pan

Attached: SHE006nw.jpg (778x385, 19K)

>batoninng

it's called chopping you faggots

Maximum four inch blade.
The esee 4, bob fieldcraft / overlander, are ideal imo.
I use the bob overlander a lot. But desu I also have an old Ontario rat folding knife that I use more often and it's thirty bucks.

>batoning
Make a wedge or use an axe you fags.
Why the fuck would you beat your knife up, especially if you were in a survival situation?
Batoning is one of the worst fads to happen to the outdoor community.

Attached: 1531753953583.jpg (480x337, 19K)

>Why the fuck would you beat your knife up, especially if you were in a survival situation?
Because it can take it and there's no point carrying around a shitty axe for something your knife is more than capable of doing.

Attached: 1525778568215.jpg (473x800, 43K)

youtube.com/watch?v=vJS1SepHop0

>if you're in your backyard and have a saw you can use alternate tools for chopping pieces of wood thicker than your knife is long
Gee, really?
You're not supposed to baton logs the size of your leg, user. Batoning is for making kindling and splitting pieces smaller than your knife. If you're trying to split logs with a short blade you're a fucking retard. If you've also got the room and weight to carry around a saw and other tools, why the fuck are you batoning anything in the first place? Different tools for different jobs.
>It causes too many stresses on the blade and will warp the blade or break it.
Buy a good knife then and not some tacticool piece of shit from Walmart that can't even take a slight beating. I have never in my life broken a single knife. Even the 2€ Moras I buy specifically for abusing have never broken in my use, despite extensive batoning, can opening, prying. If your primary knife can't handle the stress, buy a good one.

Attached: 1535724365797.jpg (1600x1352, 641K)

why would you carry a big knife and a small knife when you can just carry an actual hatchet/hand axe and a small knife?

If you're staking your life on a knife and need to defend yourself, is clip point or drop point better? I've heard that clip point is better for penetration, but I've also heard that clip point runs a risk of the tip breaking. And if I end up having to fight off something retarded in the woods I don't want my knife shattering on bone.

What should i get instead for the money?

To have a tool that's superior to a hatchet in general cutting, butcher work, removing branches for firewood and kindling, that can also split firewood reliably. It's a superior choice for a survival tool if I'm limited by weight.
What use would I have for a hatchet instead of a leuku? Slight superiority at splitting logs which is still sub-par compared to a proper axe?

>why would you carry a big knife and a small knife when you can just carry an actual hatchet/hand axe and a small knife?
Sometimes you need to stab a bear in the heart, user.

Survival? 3-4 inches.

3-6" blade. small for dexterity

because they're not actual outdoorsmen but think camping outside for two nights makes them one

Lmao, have a look at this phaggot.

Survival isn't just about eating some fresh meat you dumb fuck.

You're better off getting an ESEE-6 as a starter, its a beater for 90-120 bucks. No questions asked guarantee for that money is a big plus, the steel is what you need and soft enough to sharpen on the field, etc

You won't end up in a survival situation with all your gear on you, ready for the challenge. If it does, it will happen when you least expect it, on some casual trip. Your edc will be your survival tools, not your fancy 200$ axe and your woodlore. So yea, a small-medium knife is the best to try to master. Using big knife choppers is playing pretend-survival.

>Survival isn't just about eating some fresh meat you dumb fuck.

What can you actually hunt with a 3inch .22 revolver? It takes skill to hunt small game without a scope with a rifle let alone a pistol.

And if you shoot a deer it will run away injured and die two days later.

Lets just assume he posted the picture of the wrong weapon by accident. Still stupid.

>Your edc will be your survival tools, not your fancy 200$ axe and your woodlore

Survival tools are for camping in the wilderness. If you actually carry a fire starter kit while living in the city you are retarded larper and you need to stop.

Now a small 40$ axe is a common camping tool which you need to keep warm in a cold climate.

Nah he posted .22 lr revolver because muh reliability and muh low weight and muh can kill a deer with a headshot.

He plans to shoot a deer in the head from 60 yards then open her up with bare hands and sleeping inside her like Bear whatshisface

Why would I carry a fire starter kit? If you're into this hobby and you don't know to rub 2 sticks together to make a fire, you're better off doing something else.

Lmao. He can sharpen the trigger on a rock and use it like a makeshift scissor to cut the deer open. With enough leverage he can cut through bone with it ;) But this is something plebs like us will never master.....

Esee knives are horribly designed. They are coated in bedliner. The arguably most important part of the blade is actually missing, and they chose a handle material that is absorbent. They are too thick, the edges are too steep. Also putting removable hardware on a "survival knife" is absolutely fucking retarded.

The same as the perfect size of a penis, 5.75in

bayonets are made for poking, not cutting

Just get on Amazon and buy one of the Paki Damascus steel survival knifes for half or less, of the price of modern U.S. made ones. Hell, buy a couple, in case the one you buy breaks.
Some are actually great quality, but that's up to you to figure that out. Just don"t buy the chink crap. Shit, shit shit chink crap. Paki stuff is way better than ching chong crap.

>They are coated in bedliner

Bedliner is polyurethane, PVD spraycoat is not, nor do bedliners go through a melt/reflow/gel process. You seem to be confusing PVD with PVC.

>They are too thick, the edges are too steep

A jungle/bush knife should be thicker than a camp knife. Their edges have either a flat or saber grind, with a 20 degree edge angle per side. That's ideal for a bush knife, but not a camp knife or a chopper.

I partially agree about the handle being absorbent, but they have superior grip and are easily rinsed. I have no idea what you mean by the most important part is missing, and neither of my ESEEs have detachable hardware.

Bait?
Batoning is not chopping.

Best affordable (e.g.

Attached: 1499729221631.jpg (500x667, 70K)

>Trusting your life to non-heat treated pot metal

6" because that's the largest legal size to carry in ireland

Gerber Strongarm

Always heard gerber was garbage (compared to other big names - Spydero, Emerson, CRKT, Benchmade, Cold Steel, Buck etc. etc. - obviously better than cheap chinese shit). Strongarm's good?

Depends on what else you're carrying. If you carry a hatchet/axe or aren't concerned with wood processing then 5" tends to be about the sweet spot according to most folks. If you plan to use the knife for wood processing then the answer is "at least a bit bigger than the wood you plan to split so enough sticks out for batoning". If you know your way around a big knife then you can also use it for just about all of the more delicate tasks smaller knives excel at, it's just a little more awkward and you'll have to get a little creative with your technique.

The handles are removable , the coating is a thick coating period and has no place on a knife and the only difference between a camp knife and a Jungle knife is the location it is in. Thickness of the blade is use dependent, and there is no reason for any of the Esee line below the 5 to be as thick as they are the are. They are poorly designed knives.
Did you not realize the handles were removable? The part of the blade that is missing is called a choil, and its fucking retarded.

Just a heads up when talking about jungle and camp knives and thickness. People in the jungle tend to carry machetes. They are thin. People north of the jungle that carry big knives (camp/ chopper) tend to carry thick ones.

>buy big heavy knives
>it's so I can baton and look cool
Buy a nice knife that's actually lightweight because it's not marketed towards retards who beat them into wood and use it as a knife. If you need to split wood, use your knife to whittle a wedge and split the wood using the wedge and a stick hammer. It's faster, less stressful on your knife, and wastes less energy. With the weight savings, you could carry a small axe if you wanted to look cool in the woods which is why you fags baton anyway.

What are you going to do if you're in a survival situation and all you know how to do is baton and your blade snaps? Batoning is the dumbest shit ever.
>hurr but my knife weighs three pounds, it can take it
Until it doesn't. Your knife gets duller every time you smack it into wood, and the steel gets more and more stressed, both decrease the life of your blade.

Attached: 1532048728193.png (237x218, 95K)

This. Big knives can do small knife tasks, it's just slightly awkward. Small knives can't do big knife tasks at all.

What is a "big knife task". Sounds like an excuse to use a knife for a non knife task in a non knife way.

how would someone even end up in a survival situation where they only had logs that had to be split.
if you didn't bring an axe or saw then where did those logs come from?

>tasks other people routinely use knives for aren't knife tasks because i don't want them to be

Attached: Wojack coast to coast.gif (500x382, 167K)

That's the ching chong crap. The paki shit is actually not so bad. Sure, there may be a seller here or there that cut a corner. For the prices, I'll take one of their Damascus knives and remove the scales and have it heat treated here in the U.S. for my peace of mind.
Gotta read the feedback from other purchasers and shit. Here, just start looking and reading.

>amazon.com/Knife-King-Damascus-Handmade-Quality/dp/B00E4MATDI/ref=pd_sbs_200_13?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00E4MATDI&pd_rd_r=5ffeea9f-2741-11e9-be91-c98cce466c71&pd_rd_w=znjg8&pd_rd_wg=JEjRV&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=7DHPRQGC32P0DHA0EZB9&psc=1&refRID=7DHPRQGC32P0DHA0EZB9

Attached: PakiDamascus.jpg (300x214, 18K)

I'll take that to mean you can not answer the question.
I advise you sit down with Horace Kepharts book and then go spend some time in the woods. THEN start giving out advice you silly cunt

You're clearly just fishing for (you)s. Big knives have been used for tasks that smaller knives are, well too small to be ideal for, with regularity since the times of antiquity. Up to and including chopping/batoning. Claiming that those suddenly aren't knife tasks anymore because you don't think they should be just shows how uninformed you are.

A hatchet and a way to sharpen it

You're a total fucking retard, or worse a paki.
paki shit is literally what happened when chink shit got too expensive for the lowest bottom feeders and they had to outsource elsewhere.

Chopping and buttoning are not survival tasks. Both are achieved by other means in a survival situation. You lack the knowledge to be having this conversation as clearly everything you know you learned on TV.
Survival being the key word and the OPs request. Not "what knife should a fat fuck weekend warrior pick to do things knives were not intended to do."

>perfect size
There's no such thing. It really depends on your environment and the tasks you need to accomplish. Generally it's best to have a larger blade along with a smaller companion blade. I have an esee 6 that I use with a rat 3. Great for most any survival or bush craft situation.

Attached: qjj7l7jflewy.jpg (840x960, 121K)

You should watch nutnfancys video about the philosophy of use concerning large knives. It would clear up your ignorance.

lel I don't larp around town. I like to hike and camp.

>techniques and blade patterns that have been used by woodsmen and village folk for literally hundreds if not thousands of years for survival tasks
>lmao you learned that from a tv
kys

You are your own worst enemy. I'll help you out. Listen carefully. In a survival situation you do not chop. You do not baton. Chances are you will have your every day carry on you. You do not do dangerous potentially harmful and life threatening shit. You do not chance breaking what is very well your only bladed tool to do unnecessary tasks.
If you are told otherwise, you have been lied to. The fact I have to tell you this means if you go into the wild right now and get lost, you will probably die. Educate yourself. Cunt.

Woodsman and village folk used axes, saws hatchets and froes. Batoning is not a survival task one needs.

>You do not chance breaking what is very well your only bladed tool to do unnecessary tasks.
splitting wood is a necessary task, and there's no chance breaking my blade because I didn't cheap out on chink shit.

Carries two fixed blades. "Doesn't larp"

Splitting wood is not nessesary. It's not even nessesary for a fire. A fire is most often not nessesary for survival.
Turn off the TV. Go outside.

where do you even get these logs to split if you don't have anything more than a knife?

I don't carry two fixed blades unless I have a pack in the middle of Sumter National Forest. My edc is either d2 griptillian or a Milwaukee fastback boxcutter.

the only time you should be hitting a knife with a stick to cut wood is if you have absolutely nothing else you can use to do the same job better

subhuman intellect shit

Please god someone break out the "Battonny Chop Chop" webms.

Attached: ka2211.jpg (960x450, 37K)

>baton wood

fixed, 5", no serrations, thick spine.