37,000 is the average gunsmiths salary

>37,000 is the average gunsmiths salary
>it requires a two year education to a four year apprenticeship.

Im i destined to be poor forever? I finally find a job im passionate about in field i love, and im going to be macking as much as i do now cleaning offices. Except this requires like six year of work to master.

Im pretty bummed.

Attached: 751F7CA9-2F0A-4061-852F-FC30AED67130.jpg (700x700, 99K)

Other urls found in this thread:

payscale.com/research/US/Job=Gunsmith/Hourly_Rate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Some people base their work off of the salary. Some base their work off of their passion.
Which one are you going to be, OP?

underage band

37000 is the average salary where? flyover country or in a basketball area? like any job, after 2 years of experience, you can leverage that into above average opportunity. it's almost like you want to make significantly over a $15/hr minimum wage for good old boying your way through trade school

You either do what you love for work or you work to do what you love.

Are you getting some sort of mechanical engineering degree along with your gunsmithing course?

payscale.com/research/US/Job=Gunsmith/Hourly_Rate

be a cop. i like guns and its a fun job.

I make 61,000 with a 4-year.

Die, piece of shit.

Attached: e7b22555e6a00f75bd20591cf93b63d2.jpg (485x443, 39K)

>When you pay 25% in tax so this guy can take home 61k

Why can’t i just murder people who annoy me an be left alone, like nature intended? Also cop is a yucky profession unless you’re undermining the state by not enforcing any laws an taking there moneyz

Attached: C7C855D9-4B07-4F75-8105-434FA6C839BA.gif (500x292, 997K)

ACAB

Die in a fire, pig.

Sweet jesus, I make 2 bucks less an hour making lattes.
Why not go to school for something that makes decent money and leave the gunsmithing as your hobby?

Most laws are inherently wicked or cruel therefore any individual who's duty it is to enforce such laws is cruel or wicked. There are no good cops.

Not that user but I know for a fact you're under 21.

61 a year but how much fucking debt from 4 years of college
Does everyone making as much as you in the department have a 4 year degree?

Can you expand on this?
Murder is illegal, drug dealing is illegal, assault is illegal, speeding is illegal... How are the laws wicked or cruel.

You can do better than just mindlessly parroting hot takes you read layered on top of a picture of a old man sitting in a suit, user.

i hope you try to no knock raid my house faggot im going out like dennis and taking your ass with me pig fucker

Hello OP you're me. Circa 7 years ago. I applied to Colorado school for gunsmithing and decided to do mechanical engineering instead. Much better choice and I can afford hobbies and I have free time. Smithing is no casual work. Plus you'll have to be a business owner too. Think reeeeeal hard if that's what you want.

>speeding is illegal
what do boots taste like?

Gunsmiths make shit money dude, im not even sure what your trying to say.
>are you getting some math or engineering.
No. Its not nessarry in gunsmithing, i know engineers make bank but only if they work for a profitable firearm company. Which takes some serious schooling and intelligence. One im not interested in the other I don’t have. That said if i had some gunsmithing knowledge i don’t see why I couldn’t make my own bubba guns. Its been done an has been profitable before, its just super rare. Even for people with engineering skills to make a profitable gun company from scratch.
Dude this is shit rich people say. Ive been sleeping on the floor and eating frozen burritos for leterally five years. Ive been poor all my life and id like some fucking money.

Attached: C301EA21-A164-4D0C-85BE-33F5ED5C9644.png (640x1136, 943K)

Different user, 2 year here, but starting is 65k, up to 120k+ for cop fun.

But I'm going into a midwest city, or, Alaska if they pay my academy. Some of us joined up to be cops because we hate the statistics bullshit and want to work from the insides to protect people's rights, and the only way to do that is exercising legal discretion to no enforce.

And

Shit man I make 28k and that's enough for a nice place and the occasional fun. Making more and playing with guns all day? Sounds fine to me. If 37k isn't enough for you, you need to move away from the coast.

Do a bit of both. Keep your day job, but also get your FFL and operate from home as a side gig. I only earned a couple thousand dollars with my FFL last year, not gonna be quitting my day job any time soon, but when you look at what I earned and how many hours it took me, my small side business pays $51/hour.

>bootlicker
>speeding isnt illegal
>immediately correlates to more accidents(26%)
.... Good talk user.

become a machinist, the skills overlap

Become an actual engineer instead

It's an average. Some gunsmith do it part time after retirement or just on the side

Yeah because getting 5 points on your license for going 1-3mph over the limit is a massive cause of death.

No that user but there are plenty of places without speed limits that don't have higher auto deaths. Speed limits actually got their start as a gas rationing tactic, not as a safety policy.

>gas rationing tactic
Highways, yeah. Residential neighborhoods didn't lock there streeta down to 30 because of gas though.

>become a engender

Dude you don’t just become one. Its a hard degree to get, i have a associates in software engineering and I leterally had to take every math class my school offered to get it. My gfs sister washed out of engineering school and she was a 4.0 turbo nerd her whole life. I hate math, I don’t wanna be a engineer i wanna be a gunsmith. But they make terrible money.

Explain more. What is your education, how long did you do it? How do you find clients, do you know any full time gunsmiths? How do they do it.

Attached: 6DC1E483-7793-4223-B5B7-D9174EFECF8A.jpg (750x926, 102K)

Attached: GivingGlisteningAmericanbittern-small.gif (265x335, 105K)

>passionate about drilling scope mounts, threading barrels and unjamming weapons
>thinks the job deserves to be paid above poverty wages because only senseless idiots need help with those things
>literally no better than a burger flipper

If you want to become a weapons designer, go engineering. So many jobs these days overlap "gunsmith" that most basic bitch gun owners are able to DIY.
As a "gunsmith" you'll be dealing with the stupidest requests from the bottom 1% of gun owners. Knowing this, why would anyone WANT to be a gunsmith?

Would a visually impaired person be able to be a gunsmith? The impairment is pretty bad and non-correctable but really only affects my long range vision.

Do people think they just give out engineering degrees holy shit fourth person to say this. Its a ton of money and bullshit to get not to mention day to day work is completely different then a gunsmith.

Murder and assault are resolved within parties involved, officers don't do shit to prevent it, they just show up and take pictures and notes before they hand off the investigation to real workers.

Armed citizens and education stops murders, not law-enforcement.

Drug prohibition only does 2 things:
give criminals easy money selling easily synthesizes compounds
giving law-enforcement and politicians more reasons to take control

Licensed/safe/legal drug production, rehabilitation institutions and education stops drug abuse, not law-enforcement.

Speeding is almost a good point. I'm libertarian, road jokes aside, i do like government interstates and traffic policing. It's one of the few things that police do to improve society instead of hinder it.

It is flawed, police are practically the gods of the road, they can pull over anyone, anytime and if they choose to, they can escalate a traffic stop into an arrest or altercation without any tangible witnesses. But for the most part it's just abused and reinforced by the state as a means of extracting funds from the public when the budget gets too low.

If the police were exclusively traffic enforcers and actual public servants/peacekeepers then there would be no reason for people to call them pigs or to despise them.

Attached: ovb6g2zpzq1ux2j1p_540.png (540x221, 155K)

you can get that reduced if not flat out dismissed. 1-3 mph over the speedlimit is not speeding.
And please stop focusing on the one law you have an issue with. What else don't you like user.

>61,000 with a 4 year
Well rest assured your degree is going to good use, I matched that directly out of high school

>Armed citizens and education stops murders, not law-enforcement.
.... Culturally. Laws such as 'murder is not okay' are enforced after the fact. The police are a reactionary force.
>Licensed/safe/legal drug production, rehabilitation institutions and education stops drug abuse, not law-enforcement.
Legal drug production is the one of the largest killers in america. Police are are a reactionary force to illegal drugs being sold and trafficked. It's a problem.

>Armed citizens stops murders
Remind me how the USA's murder rate compares to Europe again
>police are practically the gods of the road, they can pull over anyone, anytime and if they choose to
Good, cars are fucking dangerous and some drivers are morons.

make your own thread faggot im not gunna have pigs trolling in mine. Go get a crew cut and stop taking bait mr “i have a masters degree and rape the tax payers finically and physically”

Attached: E7F3FE88-1747-4D96-BD4B-F40CBE585183.jpg (200x150, 9K)

>passion pays the bills

I'm not a cop but I'm also now a whining child.

You know there are ways of going through college without accumulating debt, right?

>why do better jobs take more time, money and effort to get??
>I wanna be paid great for doing what I love!
user, I'd like to be well paid to get ridden by a qt3.14 with a pixie cut, but that's not the way the world works.

>Remind me how the USA's murder rate compares to Europe again
This could be solved with eugenics and deporting of black people. Culture and religion can play a huge role as well, duels won't be seen as a good thing.

Like getting gov to pay
Or mommy and daddy
Or going to a shit school full of niggers and "professors" that know less about the subject than you do
No thanks

If your working your way through college even then your not going to able to afford it unless your making like 50k a year and going to a shit college/University
Your going to be in debt unless you get handouts

Well someone's grumpy that they didn't work hard enough in high school to get a scholarship.

You also realize that things like this are made by gunsmiths right?

Attached: 5DC8668E-FF42-4DE7-973E-A0043DC6FAB3.jpg (1400x700, 828K)

>
Have you noticed they always compare to the UK? The UK's murder rate is bullshit.

When the police force in question open the case they classify it as murder, suicide, etc. They can change that classification later but that change does not alter the home office statistics.

Since no-one wants to be the force with loads of unsolved murders they will always initially report it as something else unless they have a some pretty solid leads.

Compare the reported murder rate to the murder conviction rate. Either a lot of murders are initially reported as something else or the police in the UK are WAY better at solving murders than police in the US.

Or this

Attached: A4B3A0B5-EE2A-4C37-95C7-225C881E3C01.jpg (905x1024, 127K)

What all trogdolytes don't understand about gunsmithing is that YOUR QUALITY OF WORK IS ALL THAT DETERMINES YOUR RATE

Not "education"
If you're a decent machinist, and darn careful not to make schoolboy errors you'll do fine, maybe. The recent surge of "Savage pattern" rifles that are ridiculously cheap and accurate are putting the hurt on gunsmiths I imagine, but then again all the smiths where I live have a 1/4 year backlog if not more

>Remind me how the USA's murder rate compares to Europe again
I live in a large suburban city with a murder rate of just under 1 in 100,000. It's also one of the most densely armed per capita in my state, let alone the US. It also happens to be rich as fuck.

Gun ownership rate is not causitive of a high homicide rate. People with skin in the game aren't going to throw it all away just because they have a pistol in their safe.

Or this.

Most gunsmiths who get a formal education get a specialty is some gun or aspects of a firearm. Then with that they can basically do what they want as long as it’s possible. Engraving being some of the highest paid work and most obviously impressive. But they also customize guns the same way a mechanic would to a car.

Attached: 11F16C4E-A5D9-4858-8E41-46FB15B30BD1.jpg (574x480, 55K)

.... This is a joke right. That's just detailing and finish; barely has anything to do with 'gunsmithing' and surely can be done by someone who is not a 'gunsmith'.

Jaywalking, open alcohol containers, sleeping in your car as to not get a DUI but getting a DUI anyway, traffic cameras, speed traps, cops pulling me over for going to fast when I'm going 5 under the speed limit, trying to search my house when I called in on the neighbors for parking in my driveway.

Remind me again how Europe's violent crime rates are rising while America's have been consistently dropping. A bunch of Jamals running around shooting each other in Chicago and Baltimore is only a problem for Jamal.

REEEEEEEEEE ENGRAVING CUTING SLIDES TURNING BARRELS AND MAKING GRIPS IS JUST FINISH WORK STOOPID!!!!!

Attached: 4D3091C8-7CAC-4848-AB1B-CE3944E44632.jpg (426x426, 45K)

Turn it into a business.

Not OP but I mean.. I good ol boyed my way through trade school for $3,500, worked a few years at

If you can't make $35k work and work on comfort you need to look at your own life.

>jaywalking
That comes from people walking into traffic and getting hit user.
>open containers
Implies drunk driving or public intoxication
>sleeping in your car
What is private property.
>cops pulling me over for going to fast when im going 5 under
You must honestly be retarded if that wasn't dismissed two seconds into court.
> trying to search my house when I called in on the neighbors for parking in my driveway.
Okay now we're getting to it... I think you might be a bit vocal and probably were fucked up on something almost every one of these instances.
It is.

Gunsmith is a bad service industry cause part of the fun of gun ownership in tinkering fixing and cleaning. I'm an HVAC service tech, and it's a great field to use your tech savvy skills with, while not being knuckle busting like auto mechanic. My dad paid something like $95 for a 'smith to clean a 1960's Ithaca X-5 semi auto 22lr, and tell us it needs a new charging handle and firing pin, and those parts + labor to install would be ~$195. My dad being old school and wanting to support this small ma n pa shop did it, to get it working for me. Yeah he could've done it himself but time was short and it was right after Christmas.

So yeah, almost $300 spent to service and fix a gun he got for $85 at a pawn shop.

That said, I charge $325 to swap a $5 capacitor in 5 minutes and find more problems with someone's AC or furnace.

Following too close for the speed you are traveling causes accidents. Most drivers are just shit drivers that go too fast for the situation.
>speed was a factor
I hate that saying, yeah of course it is a factor you dumb nuts. I you're not moving it's pretty hard to crash. But to say speeding is the primary cause of accidents is false, it's following too closely and changing lanes like a cowboy weaving in and out of traffic. Basically aggressive driving is the culprit.

Nope im not too interested in college right now
Im making good money and on track to make more, 40 a year out of hs and will likely be at 80 to 100 by the time I'm 30

I had a good gpa in HS despite not putting in any effort, I can't stand the way the education system is setup. All you do is go to class, memorize and repeat whatever bull shit the teacher tells you and then you get an A. If it wasn't for engineering classes I likely would have been so burnt out from the fuckery that i would be some sad faggot sitting in a dorm room drinking myself to death on weekends with people I don't care about.

I'm not wasting another 4 years of my life when I can go out and get shit done

Yeah reduced speed in neighbourhoods because of pic related not to reduce cars crashing into cars.

Attached: Thinkofthechildren.jpg (567x389, 38K)

Worth mentioning the Ithaca X5 is actually way simpler than the Marlin 60 and Ruger 10/22.

My uncle has a variant of the Browning A5 bouncing barrel shotgun and something's wrong with it, I think he was quoted like $395 to have it fixed.

>Get pulled over
>"Sir why are you going so fast?"
>"I'm going 30 in a 35 zone officer."
>"Please step out of the vehicle."
Why?

>"Sir did you call about people parking on your property?"
>"Yes, I'd just like it if they moved out of the driveway so I can get to work in the AM. I don't mind if they move and park in the yard though , no big deal."
>"Is everything alright? Do you mind if we have a look around?"
>"Absolutely not"
>"Do you have something to hide?"
>"Come back with a warrant"

Police are like cats looking for a mouse
And everyone who isn't them is the mouse

Unless you're a pro, retired, or purely love it, gunsmithing is not a great choice to get into. You can go spend two and a half years and become an 01 electrician, making 60 an hour out the door.

>settling for less
Whatever floats your boat, man.

This. I'm currently paying a pretty penny to rebuild a FAL and my smith's backlog is 6-8 weeks.

I'm not settling
I'm not ceasing my education
I'm just not buying into your glorious schooling system
It doesn't fucking work
I learn more information quicker on my own, and I learn how to apply that information all without having to play parrot with a professor

I’d think so. As long as you’re short-sighted and not long-sighted, it shouldn’t be to big of a concern since you’re going to be in a shed or garage anyways, which are never fuck huge anyways. What’s the farthest distance you can see?

>Forced to go to state mandated child prison for 12 years
>Accused of settling for less when you refuse to go to the next facility

This is precisely the way I want to go. I enjoy working with metal; I’m not a woodworker and I’d never enjoy it. Sure there are general gunsmiths but I’d rather be “that guy” for something like custom sight parts, block shoot chokes, reproduction milsurp parts or mag base plates, etc. I enjoy CNC and 3D modeling. It’s a lot of fun. Having to meet with a customer and fix their granddaddy’s beat to shit SxS shotty seems boring and annoying.

I’m looking for a major career change within a couple years. Don’t get into a career you hate or stay there, it will kill your soul. I enjoyed mine at first and it served a purpose but now I wish I was out years ago.

Went into computer networking/security at 18, then got a 5 year debt bomb and a modest job. 3 more years of grad school debt and certs. 15 years later, I have 2 new cars, a small farm, house, 170+ guns. In under 2 years, I’ll have no debt of any sort and be vested in a comfy state pension. I can leave debt free and start over. I did well but I hate my career a lot. It’s not even remotely the same as when I started and is way to stressful to enjoy anymore. The stress is killing me. I am bored and I want more time to do what I want, when I want. The state and hyper political environment also sucks.

So, I was looking at getting my NIMS certification. I have a local 2 year program, night school. It’s $12K. I was going to get a lathe and milling machine for my barn and start it up as a hobby.

One of my ideas was Parker-Hale style receiver sights for milsurps. IDK, it would be a fun side hustle and hobby until I was able to turn it into something more. I want to wake up every morning and be excited to play again. I’m hoping it would be that and also less people and their problems to contend with.

Attached: C59229F6-7769-4A5D-A008-9A654E35701E.jpg (680x540, 57K)

LMAO poors. I made that salary as an intern. Have fun shooting dogs and unarmed blackmales.

>go stem
>hate math

>Dude you don’t just become one. Its a hard degree to get, i have a associates in software engineering and I leterally had to take every math class my school offered to get it
Why are you trying to dissuade people? It's really not that that hard, just take good notes and do the fucking work. Calculus is as easy as algebra until you get to linear systems but you can pass that class too even if you suck at math by putting in the effort.

>graduating in May with my BSME

Attached: IMG_4721.jpg (3024x4032, 2.69M)

Invest in boomerstocks and crypto and you won't be poor in 5 years

>average
give it ten years when you have a reputation and experience, as you are I would not let you touch my antique arms. You are at beginner level

>Most laws are inherently wicked or cruel therefore any individual who's duty it is to enforce such laws is cruel or wicked. There are no good cops.

yup

>cops actually prevent crime

dude im a gunsmith and the pay is shit, our best guy has done it for 20 years and makes 15 bucks a hour, good luck finding another shop to work at, and you will start to hate guns and the retards that own them, You will get burned out

Unironically that is good, I’d imagine your City/County/State/Federal benefits along with retirement are no joke either.

I know people that make that between disability and state benefits. That’s incredible.

People who specialise in fine antique arms and fine sporting shotguns and serious competition guns for fclass etc make plenty. Stop shitting around with ARs and Glocks

Yeah but at least gunsmiths don't deserve to die.

If being a cop is mainly about using guns you are already doing it wrong and are a fucking goon

That's the result of the marriage of higher education and government, not the cause of it. The government starts deciding who can call themselves a university, and gives them money independent of the market, and of course it's going to reward government toadies and those who can't produce anything of real value. The universities changed because of incentives, not infiltration. The mold doesn't make your bathroom moist; the moisture grows mold.
If you want to change the police, you don't work from the inside; you have to change the incentives. You have to make it physically dangerous to be an authoritarian douche, unprofitable to enforce bad laws, and have their department revenues and individual earnings be contingent upon the satisfaction of the people they're meant to serve. You absolutely cannot change an institution without changing the incentives, and I just don't see how you plan to do that from behind a badge.

Yeah working in IT is fucking awful and gets worse every year hope you get a sideline you enjoy

they do pay more but how many ppl have fine antiques and how many have rem 770 with a broke bolt? glocks and ars come in more than carbines or lugers, I like to work on the big 3 but not many rednecks own them And do you work for yourself or work for a shop, that affects your rate

Attached: C5EB070D-7C5C-4E2E-99A4-CB4E9887CFA8.jpg (625x506, 134K)

>implying universities main revenue stream isnt tax deductive donations

The people with fine antiques think nothing about laying out a couple of thou for work. A factory gun is only worth its medium blue book and a repair has always to be a fraction of that, You have to build real experience too. At the moment you could no more work on a fine Georgian flintlock than you could build a spaceship

>how many ppl have fine antiques

Antique firearms are a massive and growing market.

What's the big 3? I feel like modern guns are too easy to work on, and are too reliable to ever need anything worked on. I picture Remingtons warranty factory is smaller than any car dealerships auto shop, despite thousands of sales a month.

newsflash but guns smiths universally have alternative income

Yeah welfare lmao.

True. The people that have no problem dropping $10,000 on a truck lift or muscle car engine upgrades are the type to spend anything to get a sentimental firearm fixed. However you should strive for the job of the rich redneck. Not fixing their toys. HVAC, electrician, plumbing, is guaranteed $$$.

Also archery shops make way more $$$ than gunshops here. Can't upsale bullets like you can arrows. Same with guns vs a bow which requires custom fitting like a tailor and building the thing.

Attached: 5be2161ebf11d522917330.png (1200x1200, 396K)

Meant to say thousands of "garbage unreliable RemShit" the way /k makes it seem.