Unsung Heroes Of SHTF

What are the most underrated tools of surviving SHTF?

How about this one: Cheap, easily stored, easily deployed, and effective. Is razor wire the best defensive tool nobody thinks of, especially if you have to "bug in"?

Attached: Razor-Wire-roll.jpg (1024x768, 254K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#!S04hgT7B!XSkLroEQVtUHQfLyi2KzZJbbLHUVbx2NN3K1DZl_8oY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Backyard chickens, bro.
>Eggs every day
>Eat them when they stop laying.

Razor wire tells people that you have stuff worth protecting. Not to say that it isnt effective, but if you are bugging in by yourself it does more harm then good imho.

Thermal optics

Quail are better take up 1sqft each dont make noise and grow to full size in 6 weeks

Attached: 400.jpg (1500x1125, 324K)

>Razor wire tells people that you have stuff worth protecting. Not to say that it isnt effective, but if you are bugging in by yourself it does more harm then good imho.
What data are you basing this on?

wow and they're cuter than chickens too! I don't know if thats a benefit or a drawback

benefit obviously

Attached: georgia-giant-bobwhite-quail.jpg (410x411, 74K)

the idea of bugging in is to not make it look like you are bugging in.

It costs money.

I think flir or nvgs no one would be doing shit effectively at night but you and obviously as much food and water as possible cus if you don’t need stuff you can just stay inside. Anti personal mines for a bug in situation

Quail eggs are much smaller. Also where the fuck are you going to find quail?

I use to raise and eat Quail, Quail make noise.

Bobwhites aren't the same. All the decently egg and meat producing ones are based on nip varities.

Buy the Texas A&M Whites for home use. Nicest meat based on everything Ive read. Con if they're not visually sexed without looking at their package

T. Autist researching it for months. Getting first flock this march.

I dont have any hard data. I just think setting up obvious defences is a good way to tell nasty people that you have something worth protecting. If anything, it'd probably be better to make your home look like its already been looted, while using inconspicuous defences like reenforcing your walls by stacking sandbags against them inside or making cutouts for shooting from.

craigslist they are like 50cents
the males make some noise the females are very quiet depends on the breed mearns and cots are the quietest

>where to find quail
Literally any poultry breeder. Quail are booming right bow for urbanfags. A&M is putting on an expo next week on them because of how popular they are.

cot and A&m Meat is pretty much the same. You are right about bob whites

eggs are small but you can put hundreds in a tiny space

Attached: ac3ebd_30a66b28fa414628bccbadefdfcdac4a.jpg (648x407, 113K)

I've been in 3 shtf situations where we didn't have power for over a week, infrastructure damaged.

My unsung hero is a lot of booze. I always keep a few bottles in my supply closet for emergency situations.

Just plant fucking bramble bushes, easy to maintain, some bare fruit like blackberrys, don’t look obvious like wire, harder to get through.

So it's like a really shitty and ineffective razor wire that'll also attract people because it makes food on its own?

How is it like a shitty razor wire? It’s thicker, you can’t get through it with a pair or wire cutters, hell if you are that anal plant the one that doesn’t bare fruit

enjoy getting buttfucked in the ass while you are drunk by some homo butt pirate

>It costs money.
So does a house and a car. Simply being there tells people that I have stuff worth protecting that they might want to take by force, like food and water and my wife's pussy. Stop being stupid.

I'm doing the butt fucking

Attached: hqdefault.jpg (480x360, 12K)

ok homo

Gotta make due in a SHTF with no women folk.

Ducks are actually the prime homestead poultry.
>The most quiet
>The most consistent layers
>Large eggs
>Very friendly
>less destructive
>more hardy
But
>need a little more space each than chickens

Well if you plan ahead and have a sex dungeon you won’t have to go against humanity to get off

My ducks don't shut the fuck up. The second they see me they start screaming at me. Usually because they want to be pet.

:(

FAGGOOOOOOOT

What's more inciting to rob? A house that doesn't look lived in or a house shoddily defended?

>What's more inciting to rob? A house that doesn't look lived in or a house shoddily defended?
The house that doesn't look lived in because it looks like you can just go in and rummage for leftover food and supplies and maybe get some shelter and nobody will stop you.

You don't hand raise your ducks? Much easier to slaughter if they come up to you.

Pretty sure a pack of guys is going to have a base somewhere and not have to scrap for a place to keep dry at night. Then proceed to make raids from the aforementioned base.

Keep in mine that's literally what these domesticated varieties were meant to thrive in. They love being packed in as a group. I prefer to give them room to jump a bit but as long as they can literally turn around theyre fine.

It's like those ant kits you had as a kid that were like 1/4 thick. Ants didnt give a shit. They thrived in it.

>Pretty sure a pack of guys is going to have a base somewhere and not have to scrap for a place to keep dry at night. Then proceed to make raids from the aforementioned base.
Nice fanfic, bro.

That's sustainability 101. Has been a thing since we lived in caves.

Probably being a fixer.

Shit breaks, it's inevitable. And when shit breaks and people don't know how to or cannot fix something, they look for someone who can. I've been fortunate enough to ride out two power outages (one 4 days, the last 3 weeks and a day) by being a fixer. Call it common sense, whatever you will. To me it is the ability to assess, come up with a solution (temporary or permanent) and put it into action.

Did you main water line freeze and burst? Let's cut out that section while it's still partly frozen, graft in some new NPT pipe to a catch basin of your choice, and keep an alcohol burner on it. Does your generator keep fouling out plugs? We'll burn out the "smoked" plugs with an oxy torch, adjust the carb and remix the fuel.. We'll use the old fuel for heating or something else.

Stuff like that.

Definitely not the one with razor wire, clear lanes of fire, and multiple armed people defending it. Just imagine attempting to persuade your henchmen into assaulting a fortified position instead of going for some low risk low effort shit.

Real life ain't like the movies where everybody turns into mad max raiders once shit gets bad.

Probably because there isn't a normie in the country that's going to string fucking razor wire on their property.

>fortified position
A house with nice shit all over the yard and one strand of wire stretched across the front drive does not a fortified position make.

>having alcohol means you have to get drunk

This isn't drugs, nigger. You can enjoy a beer or glass of scotch without getting drunk in the slightest.

>Probably because there isn't a normie in the country that's going to string fucking razor wire on their property.
t: Lived someplace really safe your whole life.

Real robbers go for the easiest target they can find, not the hardest and most well-defended target they can find. That's why most robberies look less like the Thomas Crown Affair and more like some teenage nigger slugging an old lady in the face and running away with her purse.

>fanfic strawmanning intensifies
oh, ok, nevermind then. if we're talking about some sort of arbitrary situation where you've already decided all of these unknown and unmentioned variables creating a niche situation where your answer is the only right one then i guess that makes you right. Visible and meaningful security measures thoroughly BTFO'd, hiding in the basement while people loot, reloot, loot again, and then try to squat in your seemingly unoccupied home is a much better idea.

>assaulting a fortified position

Why not just sit back and snipe at you? You'll be trapped in your little bunker.

>"tyrell muh nigga"
>"we can either try to loot the fortified house with barbed wire, sandbags, possible spiked pits, bars on the windows and people with guns"
>or....
>we go see if the undefended house has anything inside and at the least we can crash in it

>alcohol isnt drugs
lol
>you cant enjoy a reasonable amount of other drugs
LOL

Considering the only thing you've been ranting about is the magical properties of razor wire I'm going to assume your model minecraft home is missing a concrete bunker and steel watch towers.

You're thinking of the robbers of today where targets are plentiful. When shit goes down and things start getting scarce they're going to look for the big score. And it won't be a couple of tweakers with a Saturday night special. It'll be an organized gang. The best bet to avoid that lot is to stay out of sight, not paint a giant bullseye on yourself.

Trip wires attached to things that make noise would be better

K go ahead and waste your finite ammo shooting holes in my windows and siding while I chill out below the foundation of my house.

Go ahead and take a hit of meth or smoke a joint and try to NOT get high. The only people that can do that are the drug addicts.

you're gonna need some form of defense other than trying to make your home/base/whatever look like a shithole, people can get curious

Laws, active security systems, active police force. Things that aren't really around during the apocalypse.

>shooting at a building just so you can givr away your position

Bitch, please. I'll wait for you to come outside to feed your fucking quail and plug you from a couple hundred yards away with muh durr rifle. Or are you going to never leave your mom's basement like you're used to?

To be fair this guy has a point, if I saw a fortified position yeah maybe I wouldn’t go in guns blazing but I’d sure as hell monitor it, work out how many people are there and if it’s a viable target or not.

>You're thinking of the robbers of today where targets are plentiful. When shit goes down and things start getting scarce they're going to look for the big score. And it won't be a couple of tweakers with a Saturday night special. It'll be an organized gang. The best bet to avoid that lot is to stay out of sight, not paint a giant bullseye on yourself.
"Maybe if I look really helpless, the organized gang of robbers and rapists will leave me alone!"

I'm glad you think this way, user. Because that means they'll rob and rape you instead of me.

dunno bout meth but a single toke from a joint isnt going to make you any higher than a sip of some good booze would get you drunk

If you’ve never tried pot before then having a toke off a joke will definitely get you stoned

so lets work to perfect this
>your home/base should look like a shitty place to live/loot
>but at the same time it needs to be strongly defended/fortified
>you need a source of food and etc.
>bramble bushes with barbed wire?
>chicken, ducks or quail?

Joint*
Fuck

if youve never tried alcohol before then having a drink will definately get you drunk

>rob rape and pillage the unprepared getting in and out quickly and without much of a fight
lower risk and relatively sure outcome
>go take pot shots at those crazy prepper folks in the hopes that maybe over the course of days or weeks we could have enough of an advantage to attempt a costly, complicated, and bloody assault on the remaining people
very risky and very uncertain outcome

Pretty much in a nutshell. also SHTF doesn't mean it's suddenly just you and world full of raiders existing in some sort of vacuum. Locales are rather unlikely to be huge fans of your little raider club showing up on the regular to try to snipe people. Not being able to quickly get in and out with what they want starts to drastically increase the odds of all sorts of other things going wrong, namely by attracting unwanted attention. No defensive strategy is foolproof, but a meaningful and visible collection of defenses is going to really cut down on the number of folks willing to give it a try. The natural order for any predator is risk aversion, its better to almost starve safely than it is to gain any injury of consequence, this is why wolves always go for the slow or weak of the herd.
>Considering the only thing you've been ranting about is the magical properties of razor wire
You'd have to be illiterate or mentally handicapped to reach that conclusion. Reread my first post slower(), razor wire was a small part of it. Also im not the OP fyi.

>pine needle tea
Vitamin C source

>solar energy
Improvised cooking without a fire. And can generate electricity. Also, a guy in China was able to use it as a hobo water heater by putting a bunch of coke bottles on the roof of his house.

>plastic
Can be melted and shaped into almost anything

>iodine tablets
Can purify water

>tree nuts and pigweed
Emergency food source

>dandelions
roots can be ground into coffee. Also a possible latex source

So a standard yard and some dudes standing around? Impressive. If that's not fortified I don't know what is.

Isn’t there like an info graphic image of how the army fortify a home, it’s like a cut through of a house

No it won't faggot

I agree. I just think stringing your house up with razor wire is excessive and will draw too much attention for what it provides.

It's only good if you wrap a baseball bat in it

And these totally prevent crime today? And, again, after the magical shtf, EVERYONE will be desperate. So you aren't going to last long by announcing that you have good stuff behind your wire.

it's probably best to put razor wire in your blind spots. shit, OP didn't give us much to work with like location and type of home or anything

Do chlorine tabs react with polycarbonate to create phosgene?

What about how this guy talks about urban defense, he called it OIBUA in this but it seems to be fairly sound

mega.nz/#!S04hgT7B!XSkLroEQVtUHQfLyi2KzZJbbLHUVbx2NN3K1DZl_8oY

>look totally helpless

I never advocated that. I'm just pointing out the folly of excessive or out of place defenses.

No but they stop jamal and co from breaking into a construction yard and walking off with machinery.
>don't announce what someone with a functioning pair of eyeballs can see
Flawless.

I'm pretty sure Juan and his Padres are going to be singing like song birds once they run into some of that strung about crotch height.

Are you being serious right now?
Or are you just wholey ignorant of drugs

Yes it will faggot

Certainly not from a single toke, but who is going to stop there?

And yeah, alcohol absolutely is an addictive drug and WILL be the downfall of many. It's just not an absolute. I fucking love me some scotch, but I always drink in moderation and haven't been drunk in over a decade.

Just so you know unless you’re “monitoring” through eye slits in a cloak made from radiant barrier material glued to camo I’m gonna split your wig because I can see your retarded glowing white dome laying there at 500 yards with this pulsar monoc. Just be aware of that when you think youre invisible in mossy oak crawling toward my perch. I hope you do have a thermally reflective cloak (to deal with zogbots). Raid their outposts first pussy.

Attached: 0F45D628-043C-426A-A88E-54C6AE78E5E0.jpg (3264x2448, 1.13M)

I didn't get drunk with my first drink. It took three more.
What do you weigh? 97 pounds?

Bullshit, my cousin slugged a third of whisky before he started tipsy our first time drinking. Then again, my uncle on his side was notorious for brewing mid-proof moonshine.

You have 30 guys in one house to watch all angles 24/7? Impressive. Helipad on the roof and escape yacht in the creek too?

>craigslist they are like 50cents
where the fuck?

It doesn't have to look shitty. If anything it should look exactly like every other house around you from the outside. The key is to not stand out.

Of course it would be much better if you lived away from population centers. The sheer distance would deter many from finding you in the first place.

Unbelievably based, but probably one of the first to die once SHTF.

No idea lol

Also

>animal droppings
Can be boiled down and used to make black powder. Also a fertilizer

>cold smithing
A skill that can be used to shape metal without a forge. The guys on North Sentinel Island do it all the time.

>car batteries and microwave transformers
Improvised welder

You can only take from the prepared for so long. When they run out you have to go after those crazy peppers. If anything they might bet targeted earlier if you think they have what you need like guns and ammo. High risk, sure, but also high reward.

I didn't get high with my first toke. It took three more.
What do you weigh? 97 pounds?

Pit traps>razor wire
>we charlie now

Not a bad idea. Also unless you have miles of the stuff you aren't going to be able to protect much territory.

Nails. Seriously, think of all the uses a 3 to 4 inch nail would have:
antipersonnel caltrops
firing pins (makeshift)
tree sap taps
traps
exotic ammunition (?)
interrogation device
other utility
keeps wooden boards together

It would literally take me 20 seconds to scan 360 degrees and pick up any heat signature stronger than a bird within 500 yards. Quality thermal is fucking op dude.
I’d rather not be around for shtf but I’m just saying be aware that zogbots have thermal and you can’t operate without being prepared for it.

>3-5 armed adults with a slightly fortified position
>husband, wife, 2.5 kids
Which do you honestly think the realistic average group of 3-8 malnourished and mediocrely armed ""raiders"" are going to hassle? or do you think that roving rape gangs of 250 bikers are going to be the legitimate, common, and counterable concern for your SHTF situation? I agree, if we're talking about defense against small armies then it's a bit of a different situation, one best solved by running or KYS

pit traps with razor wire in them

Attached: dumpster_defender.jpg (294x250, 12K)

See

I mean can’t Thermans be defeated by a $3 space blanket?