Grams > grains

Grains are a dumb way to messure bullet weight, grams are better. Like most Americans I understand both the imperial weights and measures and the metric ones.

For millennials to zoomers, grains is a outdated never used measurement which we are not capable of imaging, simply by hearing it. It be like if someone asked me to tell them the nearest gas station was. An i said “oh its about 23 furlongs that way” or if someone asked me how much cereal was left and I responded with “about two pecks worth”

Pecks, furlongs, and busheles are all imperial measurements that have fallen out of use and no one knows what the fuck they even mean or how to visualize them.

Most of us on the other hand are very familiar with what a gram is. from years of math an science, or just from buying and selling drugs. We know what one gram feels like we could eye ball it and place 1 gram of salt on the table. But we couldn’t do it with grains. Its retarded, outdated and never used except in the firearms community.

Therefore we should petition bullet manufacturers to start using grams to describe poweder and bullet weights. Its more efficient and it just makes sense from a practical standpoint. Its not 1890 we don’t use grains anymore. It’d leterally make everything slightly easier for everyone.

Attached: 46DE7095-5515-49A2-A7C0-C9E4E047AF2F.jpg (818x706, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmodo.com/why-we-should-switch-to-a-base-12-counting-system-5977095/amp
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Aitken
io9.gizmodo.com/the-geek-feminist-revolution-is-an-essential-commentary-1774364257
math.com/school/subject1/lessons/S1U1L2GL.html
ruthlessreviews.com/14082/the-metric-system-is-stupid/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Like most Americans I understand both the imperial weights and measures and the metric ones

Colour me sceptical.

>For millennials to zoomers, grains is a outdated never used measurement
That's gonna be true for X and most of the boomers as well.

Metric is a absolutely fucking retarded system.
It's a purely intellectual unit of measurement, that is too unwieldy for common use, and also inaccurate for precise measures. It only works by orders of magnitude, which doesn't lend itself well for use.
1, 5, 10. That's all you can divide down in metric, while in a base 12, you can go 1, 2, 4, 6, and 12. That allows easy measurement, and extremely precise measurement.

Our time system, computer systems, all run better on a base 12, you can't have a 25 hour day, or a 20 hour day, and computers would crash on a metric run system.

>using metric for reloading
Say goodbye to your hands and face.

>Metric is a absolutely fucking retarded system.
>It's a purely intellectual unit of measurement, that is too unwieldy for common use, and also inaccurate for precise measures.
Funny, there's about seven billion people who think otherwise.

Decimals is the best system for measurements you tard.
You Even use it yourselves. A thou is literally 1/1000s inch, or 0.001"

>literal fucking retards
Call us when your system of measurement can get you to another planetary body without crashing.

Leave him alone, he's clearly legitimately intellectually disabled: he thinks computers run on base 12.

No. Suck my balls and kiss my ass.
>Like most Americans I understand
DOUBT
Funny, there's about seven billion people who think otherwise.
Poos, Bug people, Prussian Serf mentality having robots, Europeons, savages south of the Equator can all collectively suck my balls and kiss my ass.

Attached: 1543258650378.jpg (1024x704, 100K)

...err, call us when yours can. ALL space flight is done in metric, even in America.

>Google "grains to grams"
>convert
I don't know what pisses me off more. Your ineptitude or those wasted quads.

>what is binary
>what is hexadecimal
Try not to prove your own retardation, take a base 10 system and try to run a computer with it. A base 12 works with a base 16.
Only since the fucking 70's.

>all this cope
>b- base 12 works doe...
No it doesn't, you ignorant drooling retard.

Base 2 obviously works because that's the system it's designed around.
Base 16 is extremely commonly used.
Base 8 is fairly widespread, eg. for setting permissions.

Base 12 does NOT work, for memory reasons.
There is no argument here.
You're simply wrong.

google.com/amp/s/io9.gizmodo.com/why-we-should-switch-to-a-base-12-counting-system-5977095/amp
Please consider suicide, I'll send the exit bag.

you think i'm gonna read all that you stupid faggot? lol no one cares you lonely fucking loser, kill yourself.

Attached: 1515175495305.gif (421x384, 2.18M)

>Like most Americans I understand both the imperial weights and measures and the metric ones.
Most americans don't understand imperial, nevermind metric whcih they don't even need to use.

True patricians use the units that are easiest for any given measure and can easily calculate between them. Yards are a better measure for pacing a distance because they're closer to the natural stride of the average human than a meter, but meters are easier to calculate with. I don't have anything on my body that's roughly ~1cm wide, nevermind a millimeter, but I do have thumbs which means I can use them to guesstimate an inch. However, as an engineer you'd probably want to use millimeters because it's easier to calculate tolerances (or use decimal imperial instead). Grains are a very natural unit of measure because a powder load can usually be expressed in them in a range from 0 to 10 - humans can very easily grasp that scale. 1 grain isn't a lot, 10 grains means gun go kaboom. If you're using grams or milligrams you're either using decimal numbers or two orders of magnitude beyond the range of a powder load. HOWEVER. I personally prefer my bullet weights in gram and muzzle velocity in m/s, simply because it's easier to calculate muzzle energy (in N of course). Powder loads can stay in grains for me: I'm European and most people who handload use grains for powder charges anyways because it's a comfortable unit.

Maybe you should read your own source, you eye-wateringly moronic waste of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen.

I have to disagree, base 12 would actually work really well. The metric system could also be built on base 12.

Imperial is retarded though, no disagreement there.

>It's a purely intellectual unit of measurement, that is too unwieldy for common use
Imagine feeling intelectually challenged every time you try to count or look at your fingers, lmao.

Most Americas don't understand, period. They are too busy fucking their cousins and blaming the Guvernmt for all their troubles

No, it doesn't work at all. The reason why octal (base 8) and hexadecimal (base 16) are used, is because they represent powers of base 2. This is important both virtually as well as physically, because it's also representation of physical pieces of electronics. Base 2 represents a single bit of memory, while Base 8 and Base 16 represents blocks of memory. Base 16 (4 memorijigs) is more important than Base 8 (3) because of how memory is manufactured.

Base 12 doesn't work, because it's not a power of base 2:
>2^1 = 2
>2^2 = 4
>2^3 = 8
>2^4 = 16

Just because 12 is evenly divisible by 2 in decimal doesn't make any difference, it's useless for a system based on binary. It's basically a huge, completely retarded misunderstanding of how computers and maths works by that other "person."

>didn't read the article
When a mathematician like this guy
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Aitken
says you're wrong, you're fucking wrong. But keep believing that importing millions of sub 80IQ niggers into your countries will improve it, hell at least your women can enjoy a 12" BBC.

I did read the article, and it had absolutely nothing to do with computers, you cum-gargling goat necrophiliac.

American was a mistake. Get fucked you cunt.

>the dozenal system is exceptionally friendly to computer science
Please stop. And stop voting in leftists, America had to clean up after Europeons TWICE because of this, and then babysit you faggots for 40 years.

1 gram is 15.432 grains.
Deal with unit conversion, brainlet.

Anyone who knows anything about how computers work knows exactly why it's wrong, and that paragraph isn't even about computers, it's about cryptography, and the fact that the author of the article doesn't understand the important distinction is laughable. What works for mathematics may not necessarily work for calculators.

You don't have a fucking clue, which is the only reason why you think you're right. It's also why you'd use the Buzzfeed of technology as a source, because you don't know how singularly fucking terrible they are. In other thrilling articles from that very same website:
>TheGeek Feminist Revolutionis An Essential Commentary For The Geek World
io9.gizmodo.com/the-geek-feminist-revolution-is-an-essential-commentary-1774364257

millennial here, quite familiar with grains. Also, grams are gay and go suck another brown german's cock.

if you dealt with bullet weights in grains as well youd find that the two feel like theyre meant for each other with whole numbers thay dont get much over 300 grains in most calibers.
ft/lbs energy would be harder for you to use though.

Look, it's one thing to like something more because you're used to it, and that's fine. But metric system is simply superior and most widely used. American science uses metric too. It's just straigthforward.
>b-but muh feel
You only feel like that because you're used to it. That's okay, but again, don't be retarded and claim retarded shit merely out of some misguided nationalism.

Joke's on you , I reload 500+ grain bullets.

Are you even going to try to counter ANYTHING that was said about how the system allows for easy change over into hexadecimal? Because all you've done is screech autisticlly and then post something completely fucking separate from the topic at hand.

Ooga booga to you too you dirty savage.

45-70 and slugs?

''12 gauge'' (actually 19mm) match ammo for some bizarre Euro sport.
>7 grains of powder
>35g slug
>200m/s muzzle velocity
>10 shot groups that make a 19.5mm hole in paper at 20 meters (roughly 0.1MOA)

Attached: 140907-34 (640x427).jpg (640x427, 159K)

Actually, the imperial system is the only one directly responsible for the loss of a probe.

What you're saying doesn't require countering, because it simply makes no sense. I'll try to explain it again so you will understand why you're wrong. Ironically, you think that Base 10 factors somehow matter when you're changing between numbering systems for entirely different purposes. Computers use the specific numbering systems I mentioned, because they represent the binary state of specific physical electronic components. The only base systems that make any sense are the powers of 2, because only those bases will fully utilise all the possible states in a given number of components. 12 is not a power of 2, so it doesn't work, it's effectively useless.

Simply put, any numbering system that efficiently converts to binary will be represented by a series of 1s in binary. This indicates that every possible binary state is used. 11 (the largest single digit number in Base 12) is represented as 0b1101, which indicates that there will be states that are not used. Therefore a Base 12 numbering system is inefficient for binary computer systems.

>1 = 1
>11 = 3
>111 = 7
>1111 = 15
etc.

Or I'll put it another way... We've got about 75 years of programming now, and probably tens of millions of programmers and electrical engineers, millions of scientists, tens of thousands of mathematicians all using binary, octal, and hex. These people are clearly not afraid of changing up their numbering systems, as evidenced by octal and hex. If there was any good reason to use base 12, it would absolutely be used. It's not used, because it doesn't make sense.

Red baste and pilled.

I don't think he was arguing that we needed to move our processors to base 12. I believe he was saying we should move our meat processors to base 12 for easier coversion to binary or hexadecimal than base 10 provides.

It still doesn't make it any easier, because again 12 is not an exponent of 2. Plus practically speaking, we don't convert the numbers, we get the computer to do it for us.

>he'd rather use a less precise unit of measure
Fuck off nogunz

>he thinks units dictate precision
Imagine being this much of a brainlet

>grains is a outdated never used measurement which we are not capable of imaging, simply by hearing it.
you're retarded if you think that's the case
I can definitely visulalize the difference between a 60gr and 300gr bullet.

except it does.

>Grains are a dumb way to messure bullet weight, grams are better.
So much this. Why introduce a new unit when you could just express it in grams? Why make things more complicated than they are? Everyone's familiar with grams, so bullets get measured in grams as well.

>It's a purely intellectual unit of measurement, that is too unwieldy for common use
It's a perfectly logical system, at least to anyone with an elementary school understanding of maths.

You know what's actually retarded? Stuff like 7/16 of an inch.

And everyone except for 3 retarded countries knows it, which is why even the rest of the Anglosphere has converted to the metric system.

Attached: retarded countries.png (1427x628, 47K)

Not easier for the processor. Easier for the people doing the conversion. I still routinely have to convert back and forth for work often enough that I don't have the time or patience to reach for a calculator.

I don't know without learning base 12 first, but if it made the whole 10 = 16, 20=32, etc. etc. thing easier than memorizing multiples of 16 in base 10 easier, I'd be down.

I wasn't arguing for changing our COMPUTER SYSTEMS, I was arguing for moving out system of measurement to a base 12.
Who the fuck you think BUILDS new computers? Who DESIGNS new hardware and programs? Humans do, and will probably continue to do so for the foreseeable future, now what I was arguing about is how easy it would be for people to learn to use a base 16 from a base 12.

Just use milligrams then, those are more precise than grains since they're smaller.

>except it does.
No it doesn't you incredible brainlet.

Some common core tier education tailor made for brainlets like yourself: math.com/school/subject1/lessons/S1U1L2GL.html

>a new unit of measure
The grain has been around since at least the 16th century.

You must be a Java programmer. The bits of memory has nothing to do with what number system you can use. It only determines where your limit is, which is arbitrary in any number system.

Why does mentioning units always draw out such hostility? Your all pretty and smart, anons. Dumb people wouldn't even care about the subject.

I know but in everyday life NOBODY uses it while grams are used for everything starting with cooking. That was my point.

>I wasn't arguing for changing our COMPUTER SYSTEMS, I was arguing for moving out system of measurement to a base 12.
You literally said that computers run on base 12:
>Our time system, computer systems, all run better on a base 12

Why you gotta lie like that?

Off topic, but aren't most people doing this this thing Java programmers these days? I know Haskell or Scala was the new hotness a few years back, but who actually gets paid to work with those on a team?

So much this. Smart people can work in metric and imperial both, a good gunsmith will be able to work in micro/millimeters and thousandths of an inch.

>clearly talking low-level here
>You must be a [high-level language] programmer
You must be from Jow Forums...

Because nonamericans hate that americans use something slightly different than they do. That's literally it.

I've seen the same thing posted by Americans though, it's just stupid people apparently.

Going to one up you, I only handload maybe 1000 rounds a year and I can visualize and physically see a 10% difference in weight and decently estimate bullet weight in diameters I dont work with as well

because decimals are gay as shit fuck and working in mgrams implies using up to thousands

I LITERALLY JUST SAID THAT A BASE 12 WORKS BETTER WITH COMPUTERS THAN A BASE FUCKING 10 SYSTEM YOU STUPID FUCKING 30 IQ SUBHUMAN SHIT, IF AMERICA DIDN'T HAVE TO DEAL WITH YOU SUBHUMAN FUCKING SCUM COUNTING WITH YOUR FINGERS AND MADE UP SYSTEMS OF MEASUREMENT WE'D BE AT ALPHA CENTAURI BY NOW, BUT NOOOO, YOU JUST HAD TO INVENT A NEW SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT, BASED ON COMPLETELY FUCKING ARBITRARY FUCKING MEASUREMENTS THAT WERE WRONG, AND THEN HAD TO CHANGE THE MEASUREMENT SYSTEM AGAIN.
ruthlessreviews.com/14082/the-metric-system-is-stupid/

It's all about familiarity. I used to work in a watch store, simple repairs on them and stuff like that. After a few years, I could tell the diameter of a watch glass or length of a band lug down to 2 millimetres. I'd never be able to do that when I started, and I'm a little rustier today with that kind of accuracy, but familiarity and repetition meant I just naturally picked it up when I worked there.

I'm sure military armourers who make special loads on order for snipers or whoever have some freakily uncanny ability to distinguish things like that.

Quality Bait.

Attached: 1545531400442.jpg (670x472, 51K)

Well fuck me, let's all change our shit to match yours!

>I LITERALLY JUST SAID THAT A BASE 12 WORKS BETTER WITH COMPUTERS THAN A BASE FUCKING 10 SYSTEM
You're still wrong though.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Attached: 1542205981939.gif (735x920, 167K)

>I'm sure military armourers who make special loads on order for snipers or whoever have some freakily uncanny ability to distinguish things like that.
They do - they just use scales though. Weight is much more important than shape in most cases,as long as the bullet isn't visibly deformed. Serious handloading means checked if the bullets are visibly perfect, measuring them out so they're in batches of identical weight. I'm content with 0.05g, so about 3/4 of a grain - that's well beyond what most people would consider sane.

i mean obviously, grains aren't in common use anywhere else and the only reason they're in use in firarms is tradition. and the people saying grams is less precise baffles me, surely the only thing that is more or less precise are the instruments you're using to weigh things, not the unit.

Attached: pepe (68).jpg (640x519, 29K)

> using decimals sucks
> half of all new powders are ball
I got bad news for you user, even in grains

>grains aren't in common use anywhere else and the only reason they're in use in firarms is tradition
This. Even in Europe we use grains for powdercharges.

YOU COCKSUCKING STUPID FUCKING SHIT, I CANT WAIT TO GENOCIDE YOUR FUCKING DYSFUNCTIONAL DNA FROM OUR FUCKING SPECIES, FUCK YOUR RETARDED ASS SYSTEM OF MEASUREMENT, IT HAS LITERALLY RUINED SCIENTIFIC RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT, SO MUCH SO THAT FUCKING PLANES AND SPACE PROBES CRASHED, YOU WANT TO CHECK YOUR UNIT OF MEASUREMENT!?!? OH WAIT IT'S LOCKED UP IN A VAULT. READING COMPREHENSION ALSO ISN'T A STRONG POINT, SO GET BACK TO COUNTING WITH YOUR FINGERS.

i mean the metric system is precise enough for quantum physics, why not for muh guns? grams, miligrams, micrograms, nanograms etc?

lol y u mad tho?

Attached: happy_rice_boy.jpg (708x864, 290K)

Usually what happens is somebody builds something with an obscure language as an exploratory project. If it's useful, then people have to maintain it. So it's not common, but also not unheard of.

As tech communities go, Jow Forums is at the bottom. Thanks for the insult.

They're working you to hard, user. You shouldn't be drinking 2 cups of coffee everyday to keep up a reasonable priductivity level.

Have you conaidered selling some of your research to interested parties overseas? We will pay.

a n g e r y

Attached: pepe (49).jpg (662x670, 234K)

Just use both systems, you're not too retarded to do that, right?

>You must be from Jow Forums...
Don't you mean, you must still be in school?

charges are rarely measured past 0.1 grains and even in load development people dont try 0.15 grain increments. Saying 24-6 (24.6) grains is more memorable 1.594 grams.
Also, theres less than a handful of bullets that are weight classified by a manufacturer with a decimal in grains.

>grains is a outdated never used measurement
Grains are so widely used for bullets and powders that only a noguns could make that statement.

>could eye ball it
Bullets are supposed to be measured with precision, not eyeballed.

>no one knows what the fuck they even mean
A grain is 1/7000 of a pound. Easy enough.

Then stick to 3 sig digits for grams. Same shit. 1.59, or even 1.60 grams isn't going to open your groups up any differently than 1.594.

I see you have good choice in .223 powder though.

>Grain is 1/7000 of a pound
I like using 437.5 grains = 1 ounce

Having a system where every value you're likely to encounter can be described as a small whole number is pretty damn useful. Especially if you don't have to translate it into other systems very often anyway.

That said, there are still things where metric is just better. Imagine you have the weight of your bullet and its speed and want to calculate its energy. Trivial in metric, requires a table of unit ratios in imperial.

Just because your average American can't instantly visualize what 30°C weather feels like, doesn't mean we can't/don't understand the metric system. If anything, most Americans can't convert most imperial units.
>yards in a mile
>uhhhhhhh
>fl oz in a gallon
>uhhhhhhhhhhhh
Don't get me started on fractions.

But that's boring. And anyway, you know it would give you one less thing to shitpost about.

>Then stick to 3 sig digits for grams
you got me there, not as perfect considering that some might be on the edge with the first digit but easier than I was previously thinking.
varget is love.
varget is life.

>average American can't instantly visualize what 30°C weather feels like
We should. It feels built around our seasons, people near Canada excluded.
-10C = winter in Chicago
0C = winter most other places
10C = brisk fall day
20C = warm spring day
30C = nice summer day
40C = summer in the southwest, God help you if you have humidity
50C = this even kills the Australian

Grains are more precise without relying on decimals.

Deal with it hater.

No, he has a point. Metric is a purely intellectual system. It was made for doing calculations on paper. Imperial has its roots in units that are more easily visually estimated as a system for common use (which gets fucked up with distance anyways), but it's hard for brainlets to do math with it because apparently europeans are really bad with fractions.

Ounces are almost never used for bullets, only for shotgun loads.

For real though, I don't see how anyone can defend the imperial system. It's one thing to use it because that's what you grew up with, it's what you are used to and it's what other people around you are using, but that shouldn't stop anyone from admitting it's objectively an outdated and inferior system that is still in use only because people are too stubborn to make a switch. The relationships between all units are all inconsistent, it uses a tons of different ambiguous terms instead of uniform prefixes, fractions instead of decimals, the zero point of temperature is a fucking "mixture of ice, water and salt", I could go on.

I don't get why people get so emotionally invested and defensive about this shit. I also recognize that the gregorian calendar that pretty much the whole world uses is retarded and wish we switched to international fixed calendar instead.

Attached: zrcamwfglmt11.png (1097x1029, 67K)

If the American metric system hurts your brain so badly, you can't do anything important anyway.

>I don't get why people get so emotionally invested and defensive about this shit.
Case in point. I'm using imperial on a daily basis. It doesn't stop me from recognizing its faults. Just how sad do you have to be to base your self-worth on a fucking measurement system?

>conveniently ignores yards
Im mad you made my roller coaster too steep

Imperial is made for human-scale uses instead of of machine/physics scale situations.

If you deal with humanity - say construction, architecture, cooking, or farming - the system designed for you as a better choice than a generic one. Specialized tools > autistic bureaucratic homogeneity.

>ignores yards
Eh? It's got feet to a yard, then yards to a mile though?

sorry m8, my retarded american brain skimmed and misread

This is europoors faces when they find out Americans use metric units of measures exclusively in school an thus know how to use both.

>n-no you don’t! Your stupid! Your Americans!!!! I need anything to feel special over you!

Pic related is how they look when they realize how great we truly are.
Imagine being this dumb. I bet you didn’t think it was possible. They don’t even understand why what they said was dumb. They’re probably gunna be mad i even called them dumb. But wow just wow. Never reproduce you miscreation.
When you’re argument for using a standard of weight that almsot no one understands is “muh patriotic murica! Goddamn Europeans!”

Attached: AAAF3086-54C1-4FFD-AFBF-7D6BB6217D7F.jpg (620x387, 46K)

>Imperial is made for human-scale uses instead of of machine/physics scale situations.
No, imperial was simply created a long time ago. It is not easier for the human brain to have a system where

>The relationships between all units are all inconsistent, it uses a tons of different ambiguous terms instead of uniform prefixes, fractions instead of decimals, the zero point of temperature is a fucking "mixture of ice, water and salt", I could go on.

explains it pretty well. It's not more intuitive in the slightest, quite the opposite. I believe you are just biased because you don't use metric on a daily basis. Ask anyone who has extensive experience with using both on a daily basis, I would surprised to find anyone who prefers imperial.