Why do glocks explode

why do these explode? Do the P80s do this as well? are these hand loads? or shitty parts? ive never heard of a cops service weapon do this.
i would like one but i also really enjoy my fingers

Attached: but i like my hands.jpg (564x564, 48K)

Shitty bait.

im not joking. new to handguns, i figure the cops carry them, they have to be pretty safe, but then i see shit like this, and makes me second guess.
or is this something that the internet has made up

>then i see shit like this
May I recommend that your first reaction to seeing the results of a small explosion should be to inquire about the source of the explosion first and the tupperware it came in second.

Will bump for you OP because I'm curious as well, mostly about the 80 builds.

>overloaded reloads
>wrong caliber
>squib load

well thats why i would guess hot hand loads

Very early .40 cal Glocks exploded because they were literally just re-bored 9mm glocks, they were not strenghtened to handle the extra chamber pressure of a .40 S&W
That has been completely corrected for years now. Just don't buy a fucking 15 year old .40 cal glock and you're fine.

>have a loose tolerance, semi supported chamber
>hehe Cletus here be my Niggerfucker9000 load!
*kaboom*
>WTF GLOCKS ARE SHIT!!!
In a fucking nutshell.

Every firearm manufacter has to proof load (15-30% over max pressure) their barrels and chambers. When you see catastrophic failure like above, it's not a "hot" hand load. It's usually a double charge.

yeah my buddy just ordered one of them. he got oem internal parts, a remsport slide and a no name barrel. seems like he knows what hes doing, i figured id ask.
was thinking about buying a used cop glock, but not that old.
yeah, thats the only thing i could think of. just someone being stupid.
good to know, thanks

Attached: safety.jpg (500x484, 79K)

Something something Titegroup and .40 S&W

>was thinking about buying a used cop glock, but not that old.
if it's a gen3 or newer it will not remove your hand, unless you do something really fucking dumb with it.

good to know. im having trouble believing that people would actually put twice the amount of powder in, but the more time i spend on this earth it seems like theres a lot of stupidity out there.

it's got nothing to do with the frame, so don't worry about P80's. The thing is, they usually don't. Of course, law of averages and volume of production are also things. Anyway, if you want to know the origin of the glocknade meme, there's a pic flowing around, but in summation, the original Glocks chambered for 10mm and 40S&W didn't have fully supported chambers. This was fine. Then bubba appeared on scene and had to try out his new +++++++++++p+ handloads and lost a few fingers.

This/thread
Pressure for high power rifle is upwards of 60k psi, only a millisecond or so but that is a shit ton of pressure
All a firearm is, is a device use to direct a controlled detonation

Seeing actual high powered rifles gives you more repsect for the pressures involved. My .416's barrel is the diameter of a 12ga shotgun's and weighs a ton.

Here you go

Attached: 1482195492947.jpg (611x793, 159K)

This would be a lot better without that last sentence.

Real answer, their chamber tolerances are pretty loose in general, which can lead to pressure issues with hot loads

Not true at all.
Glock redesigned the pistol for .40 right from the start. They were one of the few companies to actually do so.

perfection :^)

>tripfag so self-important he puts his code on an image
Now I've seen everything.

I'll assume this isn't bait. As other anons have mentioned:

>Hot/overloaded reloads.
Glock pistols are built to loose tolerance and have a PARTIALLY supported chamber. Works fine for factory ammunition, but reloaders beware. A partially supported chamber cannot handle as much pressure as a fully supported chamber. They do sell aftermarket barrels that have fully supported chambers, and this is one mod that I don't see any issues with.

>Use of castboolits
Shooting projectiles made from wheel weight lead in a glock pistol can lead to a kaboom. Something about Glock barrels doesn't play well with casting, whether that's because the tolerances are shit or lead smears in the rifling leading to increased resistance/pressure I do not know. I don't care to try it. Glock specifically says not to shoot castboolits iirc

>Squibs
A underloaded bullet that leaves the projectile stuck in the barrel. Shooting another bullet causes an overpressure situation that creates your very own Glocknade®. When that happens a plastic frame does sweet fuckall to protect your hand.

>failure to maintain your weapon
higher pressure rounds that Glock comes chambered in or that people have conversion kits for (10mm, .45Super/SMC, .460 Rowland) have a much greater capacity to wear/damage your firearm. Especially when shooting in volume.
When shooting these calibers it is important to visually inspect the weapon. Shooting a weapon where any part is showing fatigue (cracking frame or other components) is a bad idea. Unfortunately not everyone does, and pistols do not have a check engine light warning.

>Wrong caliber
Sadly this is a thing

tl;dr
A Glock that is purchased, kept stock, and shoots factory only ammunition is unlikely to have issues with reliability, safety or longevity.
If you start shooting reloads, using castboolits, or swapping calibers you're leaving safe territory for "I know what I'm doing and how to be safe" or "hey ya'll watch this" land.

What is a double charge?

>A Glock that is purchased, kept stock, and shoots factory only ammunition is unlikely to have issues with reliability, safety or longevity.

This can apply to most any guns or even anything mechanical in general. When you replace parts, triggers, stipple, tweak, file, reinforce, things in a gun, etc it deviates from the stock tested and safe specs. Start using P+ on the regular or hot loads is like putting in a super charger in your car engine then wondering why your gaskets are getting blown to shit prematurely.

>Niggerfucker9000 load!

Attached: 1546630662049.jpg (521x516, 68K)

>or is this something that the internet has made up
it's pretty easy to put a picture of some dude's mangled hand under a destroyed gun

What it says on the tin. Someone poured in the gunpowder twice.

and here come the tinfoil babbs

the pic clearly shows his hand and his gun

the glock pic was around on its own way before it was paired with the rekt hand
it's memes

Double charges are unintentional. Idiots who forgot they already poured the powder and do it again.

>Shit handloads
>Wrong ammo
>Overwhelming popularity
Probably the three reasons why you see so many glocksplosions over other handguns.
I know glock barrels are famously undersupported in the chamber which probably doesn't help.

Built a P80 a few weeks ago, haven't shot it yet, you're making me nervous. 9mm. Why did I click on this thread? Feels the same as my other Glocks, though.

>/threading your own post
Get the fuck out

>Just don't buy a fucking 15 year old .40 cal glock and you're fine.
Better yet, don't buy into .40 S&W

Also keep in mind that because Glocks are so common, by that nature you'll just see more evidence of them breaking. Any gun can blow up. Especially .40s.

How do you like your .416?

It was a combination of dipshits making way, way too hot loads on early .40 Glocks without a fully supported chamber. This was fixed in the next generation.

Are people really dumb enough not to check their charges while reloading? If you're doing the usual empty cartridge, tare, charge, and check it is impossible to fuck up that bad aside from a slight deviation.

Serious question; how do you put twice the amount of powder in a bullet that is pretty much filled up with a standard charge

not bait, im just not knowledgeable about handguns, especially not "plastic" ones. a buddy just ordered a p80 to put together, not sure if he knows what hes doing. but hes not using hand loads, so i think hell be alright. thanks for the breakdown.
na thats not me
thanks

Or using a powder other than what is listed. Different powders have different burn rates, different amounts of pressure generated per cubic volume.

An example might be the .45 Long Colt. The cartridge is huge. Depending on the powder used there can be a lotta of empty space left under the bullet. Trail Boss is a powder specifically made to pretty much fill the case. Very “fluffy,” enough so as to not be able to double charge.

Just for kicks; chuckhawks.com/loading_45Colt_rifles.htm

Oh, forgot to mention. A p80 is not significantly different from a standard Glock frame in terms of safety. Shoot standard factory ammo and you should be fine. Where a p80 DIY not-Glock will have issues is with reliability, but that's easily remedied and is part of the territory when you're building your own Glock.

because they are made out of plastic

People somehow manage to accidentally kill their family members while cleaning their guns because they're too retarded to check if it's loaded first. I'm fairly sure someone can be dumb enough to overload their ammo.

>that is pretty much filled up with a standard charge
That's not a whole hell of a lot of pistol rounds. Also some powders are bulkier than others.

Take, for example, a standard 9x19 124gr load at ~1100fps from a 4" barrel. Well, how do you get there? There's LITERALLY 50+ different powders that would work. Some of them will get there with 3gr of powder, some of them take 10+gr of powder. 3gr of one powder can (and frequently is) twice as bulky as 3gr of another powder.

I could load up a 124gr, standard pressure 9x19 with Titegroup. A charge of 2.9gr will get me standard plinking velocity, but take up less than 1/4th of the case. You could triple charge it on accident and still have air space between the base of the bullet and the top of the powder. OR. I could load up a standard pressure 9x19 with Hi Skor 700X. A charge of ~7gr will barely get me to the bottom of standard plinking velocity and take up so much room I'm having to tap the side of the case with an allen wrench to settle it before I can even start the bullet into the case mouth, and will have a ~15% compressed load. OR. I could load up a standard pressure 9x19 with something like Bullseye, where 4.5-5gr will get me to standard plinking velocities and will give me 99% case fill but not a compressed charge.

so bubba is trying to play chemist?
and failing?

Not that user, but... nevertheless notice how the slide didnt break... wouldnt happen on a beretta

Or just not paying attention while using a low bulk powder.

I like Titegroup because it's efficient/economical, but it is riskier to use than Autocomp or Bullseye because you CAN doublecharge it and not have it spilling over.

>why do these explode?
Gen 1s that aren't +P rated plus some hot handloads equals kaboom.

Ok. So he used the wrong powder then which allowed him to put too much in