Joining the National Guard

Hey Jow Forums, I asked this on Jow Forums and they redirected me here. Anyway, I'm considering joining my state's National Guard as a full-time guardsman.

Will doing this mean I can only be stationed or deployed within my state? Can I chose my duty station? What's is being in the guard full-time like? Do you still live in a barracks or do you get to live in a private residence? If anyone that's done this or is knowledgeable on the military is here I'd like to hear your experiences and thoughts. Thanks.

Attached: 1523423423423.png (1200x1200, 384K)

dumbass

You literally have no idea what th NG even is, do you?

/thread

The NG is the National Guard, right?

your hopeless

Guard fag who's done a lot of title 10 orders here

AGR (active guard reserve) do mostly administrative roles throughout any given state. You will work in the state you sign up in.

There are job slots at each armory and they are the "positions." You apply for one just like any other job. If you want to work at one specific armory you'll have to interview for and get that job.

You very likely won't get that as a private or new guy. Most states are good ol' boy clubs and breaking into AGR usually requires toy to be a PT stud and willing to kiss ass.

You won't live in barracks, you'll live in apartments like anyone else. Yes, you deploy regularly with your unit as anyone else in the guard would.
Mostly it's pretty gay and political. The benefit of the guard is all the benefits and training while still getting to be a civilian most of the time. If you want to do the army full time, go active. AGR is a political, boring, sometimes petty environment and it's rife with inefficiency and apathy.

How old are you and what job do you want to do?

That's why I came here. I don't understand is there something that needs to be clarified? Is this the wrong place to ask this?

Georgia Nasty Girl here, you can’t just join active national guard. You have to usually be an E-6 or above and they have to have your MOS open. You get deployed if your unit deploys otherwise you’re still at your armory usually and do paperwork. You live at home, because you won’t sure as shit won’t start off active National Guard. People join the Guard because they have real jobs or are in college, if you don’t fall into those categories go active duty

Attached: 52357D1E-EA59-45EC-ADEB-5B2DACACDE79.jpg (806x908, 231K)

>joining the National Guard and not the ANG
depending on your MOS is the easiest way to get benefits and almost free money.

just dont please, youre young and impressionable, the government is going to use you and indoctrinate you
joining the military can be great for some people, but youre not serving anyone youre going to be scared and alone and unless you make the right choices you will just end up another unemployed veteran
if the military really is your thing i would recommend getting into one of their programs to go to college and join as an officer

I'm 20 and have done nothing serious. I'll take any job I can get, but from it sounds like its limited to administrative rolls? Are there any more technical jobs available?
>People join the Guard because they have real jobs or are in college
Is that for part time service?

>I'm 20
You're a stoner aren't you? What have you done since highschool?

>>joining the National Guard and not the ANG
These are different things? Is the ANG federal? Should I be looking into that instead?
No I'm not a stoner. I've done some retail jobs and worked at Costco. My parents are trying to get me out and I thought this would be a good idea but it seems like its a lot more complex than I thought

hey im a stoner
and i dont appreciate you associating me with laziness

dude you have room temperature IQ or something? did you even do any research before coming here, or did you expect us to spoon feed you like every other redditor?

your parents are shitty people, go to college or get a job that supports yourself and cut them off

>dude you have room temperature IQ or something?
No. Why do you think that? Again, I did some basic research but am not as knowledgeable as some of the people here. That's why I'm asking. Also, I'm not from reddit.
>go to college or get a job that supports yourself and cut them off
That's working on that right now and you guys are helping me

>Again, I did some basic research but am not as knowledgeable as some of the people here.
clearly you didnt or else youd know the difference between the national guard and the ANG

There are what are called "full time national guard" or FTNG spots that are available, but they're seasonal. You take one on what us usually a 6-8 month contract and there is no guarantee that it gets renewed. It is not a good long term plan, but those positions often are for medics or mechanics.

The real full timers are exclusively paperwork jobs.

If you want to be a full time door kicker, go active.

I'm assuming the only reason the guard appeals to you is because you don't want to leave home. The reason you don't want to leave home is because you've never truly been out of your comfort zone. It's time yo grow up, bud.

Do a 4 year contract. At the end of it you'll be 24, in shape, probably with a deployment under your belt, and every veteran benefit for free tuition and apprenticeship you can think of.

Then you could flex on Jow Forums LARPers.

Whatever, I'll just do active then if you people are going to be so prickly

Thanks. I'll do that

dumbass

Don't pick a combat MOS. Pick a technical job that relates to something you'll want to do long term when you get out. You'll get technical experience and with some jobs when you get out you can go straight to making 80k+ without stepping a foot in college.

Go to our /meg/ thread for more info. The NG is meant to be part time or else it's a bad time

Ok. I'll head there next. Thanks guys

Good deal.

11B is infantry, that's for door kicking. 13F is a forward observer and that's pretty cool, too. 19D if you love sucking cock.

Or be the best job and go 68W.
> t. 68W30

Don't consider anything that's not either combat arms or attached to combat arms. If you go medic make all your duty station requests to combat battalions.

Doing anything else in the military is either a waste of time or for females.

And don't listened to >neverjoined faggots. They anyone who claims the army brainwashes you has actually just been brainwashed by their media.

The Army's not that hard. Just keep your mouth shut and don't quit if things get a little tough.

>being a POG
Fucking zoomers these days.

You can be an 11B for a minimum contract and afterwards have the entire gambit of free education and skills at your disposal via your benefits.

The idea that you'll get your civiluan career skills in the army is a huge meme and I wish people would stop spreading it.

Do a real army job, then when you're out you can go to school for ANYTHING.

>Wanting to be a professional janitor
Are you typing this as you rake rocks in the rain? Combat jobs give you no life skills and is a waste of 4 years during peacetime

Despite what the recruiter tells you, most POG jobs also give you no skills that any worthwhile civilian employer is going to give a shit about. If you want a decent job after you get out, you're still probably going to have to go to college or trade school either way.

do active you lazy nigger

Bud your POG job doesn't give you job skills. You then also don't get any soldier skills. It's a lose-lose.

I did my active time as an 11B. Went NG as a 68W. Went to school for engineering and now I'm an automotive designer.

Think I was going to learn that being some pansy ass "signal systems analyst?" Fuck no.

Use your benefits for a career. Use the army to shoot guns in the woods with the boys. All POGs do when they're out is explain to their friends why they didn't shoot guns on the wolds with the boys. It's sad to watch them explain it.