357 mag carry ammo vs 38spcl +P

I got a Ruger SP-101 with 2 1/4" barrel.

When i bought it a was fudded into buying 38 spcl +P honnady american gunner or something like that. they told me its the same and the lighter recoil makes it better for carrying in case you need a follow-up shot or something. he said the powder wouldnt all burn in such a short barrel and it wouldnt even be 100 fps faster + ill blow an ear drum

Now i did a little research after getting home and it seems like a bunch of bullshit, they have quicker burning powders in defense rounds and i should still be able to pull 1200fps out of a 2" barrel with 357 compared to the 850-900fps with the 38 spcl+P crap, at that point i might as well carry a 380 auto or something...

Whats your take? I carry for work (bad city bad area, cool boss) chances of shooting someone someday is very possible in my line of work in my city (st. louis).

I watched some vids on youtube and the chronographs seem to match what ive read.

also ill take ammo suggestions, I can order online if needed. i just feel like if i wanted to shoot this 38spcl +P crap i could have bought a Taurus 85 for half the price, i might as well take advantage of the magnum...

also input on blowing an eardrum shooting light 357 rounds? obviously it isnt ideal..

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 10.51.32 AM.png (474x386, 317K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU
youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs
buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541
chigsgrips.com/?page_id=7
badgercustomgrips.com/ruger/sp101-full-grip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

125 JHP
eardrums meh

its seems thay make 125 grain JHP's in both 38 spcl and 357 mag so what u saying

When I carry a snub .357 revolver, I carry .38+p. You can train how to deal with the recoil of Magnum out of these guns but it's a lot of fuggin recoil.

the eardrums comment makes me think he's talking .357

This is my preferred load:

youtube.com/watch?v=UZsber37rKU

Gold dots are good, Buffalo Bore is good, Federal 158gr SWCLHP is good. Hornady is maybe less good but still not shit.

Oh... all 38spl +p loads. Fuck 357 out of a snub.

Lucky gunner is absoloute fucking trash. I hate that guy for spreading disinformation.

>.357 sig and 9mm are the same

>10mm and .40 sw are the same

>.357 magnum and .38 special are the same

>.22lr , .25 acp, and .32 acp are viable self defense rounds with the other options we have today

i know its difficult to control for a woman like yourself, but as a man i never thought much of it, a little snappier and take just a tad longer to get back on the sights but for what could be a 500fps difference its probably worth it

im watching this now
youtube.com/watch?v=27wDLjY5JSs

357 mags fuck 38 sp
even if you miss the muzzle blast will fuck up his weekend

buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=541

Theres nothing in the lower 48 that this wont kill

I carry 125 SJHP .357 federal in my Sp101
357 beats .38 every time regardless of barrel length
Don’t let the 38 special fags fool you.
If you want an underpowered cartridge get a 9mm

>do research on FBI loads
>decide to buy some
>every goddamn website charges 20$ to ship a single box
>mfw

Attached: 10157377_1066593330070032_1334299430539033137_n.jpg (500x285, 37K)

I would never carry .357 Mag

.38 has less report, less recoil for better follow-up shots

I bet you think "stopping power" is a thing. Handguns damage by crushing tissue so in order for a handgun round to be effective it must be able to penetrate far enough to reach vital structures. That's it. Expansion is a plus because it increases the surface area of your bullet and thus crushes more tissue.

Modern SD ammo regardless of caliber(above .380 that is) is all designed to meet or exceed FBI standard penetration/expansion. There really is no difference between calibers from a terminal ballistics POV. Hits count. First hits count most. Carry whatever you can hit fast with.

Attached: 1518127295418.png (600x700, 386K)

That’s why women like 38 so much.

That's why people that actually shoot more than they shop like 38 so much.

Where didTalk about stopping power?

Is English your first language?

Sure, but I don't want to be deaf and blinded by my self defense firearm and I want the follow up shot to be ready as soon as possible. High quality 38+p hollow points still kill people dead and I'm fine with that

Don’t deflect
Point out where user talks about stopping power

I wish I could find the video right after Yankee Marshall blew out one of his ears after shooting a 3" 357 indoors. Not too long after he claimed to be "too old to shoot 357 anymore" and went to a fuddy5.

357 snubs are stupid and so are the people who carry them loaded with 357.

I'm not deflecting I'm point out that sentence structure and reading comprehension are not among your skill set. You are too stupid to realize who stupid you are. Sad.

No
You are deflecting
Now you are talking about sentence structure
> where is the stopping power.

I bet you failed physics

Attached: 1535764157909.png (1416x1593, 2.19M)

What is shot placement?

I think that was his point. The patrician caliber choice is acknowledging that there are negligible differences in success rates of handgun calibers, and it is better to pick a particular gun and caliber you can reliably put shots on target with than simply basing your decision on which round gives you a slight numerical edge. Even 50ae won’t mean shit if you can’t hit anyone with it

Bumperino

Hi noguns

Fired .357 mag out of a Kimber K6s and it was very unpleasant. Felt like one of those painful, hard high-fives that stings only twice as bad.
When I inevitably get a snub i will be carrying 38+p.
On an unrelated note, aluminum or scandium framed revolvers are AIDS. Stainless is where it's at

357 out a snub is dumb. Get a 9mm, and if you really want to keep your outdated design just get a 9mm revolver.

Revolvers make sense in the largest and smallest configurations, you literally own the worst possible configuration for a modern revolver.

That data only took into account shootings where the bad guy was shot in the torso or head.

yeah yeah fuck you too

WOW why ever bother with .44 Magnum, lol

MOST POWERFUL HANDGUN IN THE WORLD lmao

Unless you're hunting game animals or just like making big booms at the range there is literally ZERO fucking reason for .44mag.

You’re one stupid fucking Jew. Imagine your entire knowledge of firearms and their application in self defense being based on “stoping power”.

The math doesn't lie, .357 is much stronger. The compromise is recoil. Even a lighter load of .357 is more potent than a +p .38. If you have a .357 then carry .357. Dropping .38 in it is for cheaper practice or getting girls and arthritic seniors to shoot it. It also makes your barrel dirty as shit. You don't need .1 second followup shots and laser accuracy out of a snub either, it's a very close range SD pistol. Land the first shot and drop whatever you're trying to kill.

>makes your barrel dirty as shit

Attached: 1512703929367.png (449x401, 320K)

you'll need a couple follow up shots

this thread is a big shitfest and no one can agree or answer OP's question.

I would say buy a few types of 357, try some light loads and stuff, and another user pointed out, even the weakest 357 is still much more powerful than the hottest 38spcl +P.

i guess the answer is whatever you feel more comfortable shooting, i know with some of the HP 357 rounds you wont get good expansion out of a 2" barrel, so keep that in mind too

>Be snubby .357
>Be loaded with hot .357
>Handler being mugged
>My purpose
>It is being realized
>Handler's warm, moisterized, shea-buttered scented hands grip me
>I feel his petite, slender finger barely grip my rugged, oversized trigger
>Pulled out from handler's pants
>Handler was too ghetto to purchase a holster
>Scrape against his phallus
>Yelp of agony followed by a quick jerk
>Ung!
>He pulled my trigger!
>I unleash my 538 lbs/energy in a deafening boom
>My brilliance lightens up the dark alley by the boy bopper bar like a high noon
>Handler throws me across the room
>I see the robber
>Melanin-enriched is in a catatonic state, instantly knocked out by my percussive blast
>His eyes are blown out from the sheer amount of lumens from the trigger pull
>Take that Nagasaki
>As he falls down, spurts of blood spew from his now-ruptured eardrums
>then the shockwave hits him
>A concussive blast that shreds him into a million bloody giblets
>There is only a bloodstain left akin to the disposal of many used tampons swept up from the restroom floor
>Handler nearby
>He is also bleeding from the ears and convulsing on the ground
>My job here is done

Seems like a good deal, OP

Attached: 093.jpg (358x429, 49K)

alright fuck yeah man, you encouraged me.

and thank you to the user that recommended pic related. ordered me a box. fuck my ears and fuck a follow-up shot, if 900lbs hits you at 1250fts anywhere center mass your probably going to die, and im a pretty good shot

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 6.12.27 PM.png (1097x618, 241K)

pls post video of the first time you shoot that shit out of your snub. For max training realism no hearing protection. I mean you don't go to the store with hearing protection on right?

you make a good point. I will fire it once without hearing protection once at the farm, i should know what im getting myself into. i shot my SKS last summer once w/o earpro and it wasnt even that bad

The sp101 is pretty tame thanks to its big weight.

One thing with snub nose revolvers is you have to make sure you're getting enough velocity to cause expansion in your projectiles. There are a small number of 38+P loads and a larger number of 357 mag loads that are excellent.

I myself carry critical defense 38+P in my SP101.

There's a very small difference in success rates between calibers. The specific ammunition you carry and making sure it penetrates reliably while expanding reliably to not overpenetrate is far more important. Comparing a 350ft lbs caliber to a 500 ft lbs caliber is meaningless when you think about 308 having like 2600ft lbs of energy in typical loadings.

That's more of a bear load. I'd encourage something more like 125gr at 1200fps which you can easily get out of a 2 inch barrel.

OP here any grip suggestions?

chigsgrips.com/?page_id=7

>I carry for work (bad city bad area, cool boss) chances of shooting someone someday is very possible in my line of work in my city (st. louis).
>st.louis
As a fellow STL user you dun goofed by going with a 5 shot .38 in the first place, particularly since its one that's big/heavy enough that you'll have to carry it IWB. You'll unironically be outgunned by the average 14yr old hood rat downtown, and those types like to bring friends along. Fortunately for you they also tend to scatter like roaches once the first rounds pop off so you'll probably be ok, just not the sort of thing i'd personally recommend relying on.
>Whats your take?
fudd was full of shit about how close they were in terms of FPS but he was right that the juice isn't worth the squeeze with a barrel that short. .38 in general has enough juice to get the job done outside of wonky situations like auto glass or other intermediate barriers getting in the way. Most .357 out of that bbl length are going to be pretty much 9mm tier, so don't expect any better effect on target unless the epic flash and fireball scares them or something. Once you get up to the 4" range .357 magnum becomes a whole nother animal capable of getting 1600fps+ with a 125gr bullet.
>also input on blowing an eardrum shooting light 357 rounds? obviously it isnt ideal..
another exaggeration. Blown eardrums would be really unlikely outside of a very confined space, but hearing loss will be worse than with a .38 or most other handgun rounds for that matter.
>spotted the facklerite
Hows the view from on top of mount dunning-kruger? shouldn't you be in the comments section of a choppinbloc or luckygunner video fellating an e-celeb right now?
FYI those energy figures are from a 6" barrel.

i apperiate the advice and i own more carry guns than just the sp101, ive just wanted a thin 357 for awhile now, i used to have a cheap one and always wanted a nice one.

Im not driving around north county or east saint louis. I just wanted a nice county-coat carry for cold months.

badgercustomgrips.com/ruger/sp101-full-grip

Attached: 327357mag38special4inCombined.png (1640x1158, 245K)

Those numbers must be out of a shitty barrel because I see plenty of other tests put most 357 defensive loads at around 1100-1250.