Keymod, Mlok, or Picatinny?

Hullo Jow Forums.

I just recently bought myself my first AR. (Poorfag Del-ton sport mod 2).

I want to put an optic on it, preferably some cheap glass. Maybe a bipod or a grip of some kind on it, too.

What rail system should I get? Keymod, Mlok, or Picatinny? Does it matter? Right now, it seems like Mlok is my best choice.

Please educate me on the benefits and downsides of each choice. I don't like the idea that if I pull back too hard on Keymod it might pop off or something. Is that an actual concern?

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-05-22-at-7.33.12-AM-600x600.png (600x600, 686K)

Keymod will become the betamax/laserdisc/HD-DVD of attachment systems in a few years.

What about Mlok? Think it's got the same sort of fate?

Perhaps, but at least a few known forces are adopting it, so it has a better survival chance, and with either one, there's always the Picatinny attachments to convert it to p-rail, so it's fine either way. Also, handguards are easy enough to swap.

You fags have a containment thread. Use it.

Attached: 1403921458303.jpg (323x323, 72K)

MLoK > Picatinny > keymod

Mlok: Lightweight, many manufacturers make stuff for it, reasonably durable, can add/remove shit as needed
Picatinny: heavier, but really durable, rails are typically fixed. Gold standard for everything
Keymod: fragile, proprietary attachments mean higher price tag

But thats just from my personal experience, others may have different opinions

Oh. Do you think it really matters which one I choose?
Rail Systems apply to more rifles than just AR's.

Its already taken over as the prominent mounting system. You can get an mlok rail for way more rifles/carbines/pistols than you cab keymod.

>strongest mounting system of those choices
>most repeatable
>quads tend to be the most rigid but several factors go into it
>"cheese grater"
>tend to be the heaviest

Keymod
>light and slim
>"little dicks"
>dead

Mlok
>less likely than keymod to get pullouts or dismounts from forward impact strikes (like hitting your weaponlight on a doorjamb)
>tend to be lighter, slimmer, no bumps than 1913
>45 degree options without special mounts
>not quite as strong or repeatable as 1913

Thank. I've been leaning towards Mlok, really. It seems like the better choice. Even without stuff on it, it's got a pretty good aesthetic. Better than Keymod, atleast.

Seems like Mlok is the best choice?

Attached: 1475096742640.png (657x527, 171K)

People will bitch and moan about the added "weight" of picatinny rails. Don't listen to those weak fags, it's been around forever for a reason, there is tons of surplus parts for them, and it's the military standard. A few extra oz is nothing when you can pick up any attachments and slap them on your rifle.
>Mlok
Nice system for an AR, my 3rd rifle I built I went with Mlok to make some super slick rifle. Theres a lot of accessories for Mlok and overall its becoming very standard for a lot of manufacturers.
>keymod
If you like expensive parts and boutique prices, then this is for you. Enjoy always having the rails in stock for a premium price but little attachment options

Attached: 1549228919250.jpg (631x434, 36K)

It seems like the weight wouldn't really matter unless I'm putting a whole tone of attachments on it and doorkicking in fallujah or something, which I'm not. Just HD and shooting at my range.

Having actually done that (Tikrit though) I can say even with a PEQ15, flashlight, foregrip it's not bad. For HD or range time it's legit never an issue

If you have a choice, go with MLOK just because it's lighter and more modular and none of us are fighting in a war with our own equipment anyway. 1913 isn't bad either. Avoid keymod or any of the keymod vairiants like HKmod.

tank u for your cervix

Figured as much.
HKmod? Why does that even exist?

I think I probably am gonna go with Mlok.

I keep seeing people call it 1913 in this thread. Am I just rarted? I thought it was Picatinny?

>The “Picatinny Rail” is a term that has evolved in the firearm industry from a military standard, specifically MIL-STD-1913 (AR) which was adopted on February 3, 1995. The title of the publication is “Dimensioning Of Accessory Mounting Rail For Small Arms Weapons” and this document specified exactly what the dimensions and tolerances were for any mounting systems that were to be submitted for acceptance by the military. The term “Picatinny” comes from the place of origin for this system, the Picatinny Arsenal located in New Jersey. MIL-STD-1913 specifies the dimensions required for consideration, including length, width, height, and angles and the tolerances allowed for each measurement. The key distinction of the MIL-STD-1913 lies in the specification for the profile and the recoil groove.

Cont.

>
What are the differences between the “Picatinny” and the “Weaver” systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206” wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true “Picatinny” MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next. In many instances, a Weaver system has a specific application that it is machined for, so interchangeability is not necessarily an issue. A MIL-STD-1913 system must adhere to the specifications listed above in order for it to be considered MIL-STD, since the military desires uniformity in the recoil grooves to allow for different systems to be mounted on the weapon with no concern for compatibility.

Oh. So kinda like silencer/suppressor. Thank u for for google fu. Learned a thing.

Does 1913 and Picatinny (or- the minute differences in measurements) actually make any sort of real difference to what you can attach? Say, a red dot designed for 1913 doesn't work on the other and vice versa?

Not in the least. I have attached modern m1913 rail stuff on russian weaver rails with no issues

Attached: 1512609824834.jpg (604x437, 56K)

I'd say pic rail mainly because it's not going anywhere anytime soon even though I know keymod and MLOK have their advantages over pic rail.

>advantages
More like tradeoffs between strength, weight, and profile. Besides, Picattiny looks the best especially when you've got nothing on it besides covers

Attached: PovertyBuild.jpg (3264x2448, 3.65M)

Good to know.
Saved.
Fair perspective.

Thank you guys. Comfy, helpful, informative thread. :)

What other weird, niche options are there?

Anything else on the market like HKmod or whatever it is?

Ounce for ounce mlok is far stronger than picatinny, because you can engineer the structural integrity around the handguard and use the mlok slots as relief cuts.

quad rail is the best

Attached: 3.jpg (2735x1823, 1.43M)

MLOK

I can explain why if you really want me to, but if you want a simple answer you can just take everyone's word for it

Picatinny and pull ups so you can quit bitching about a few extra ounces.

And is that the standard for accesories designed for MLok? Can we expect the majority if not all MLok mount accesories to be designed this way or are they "as long as it doesn't fall off lol"?