Are big handgun calibers really necessary for protection against wildlife?

This fishing guide in Alaska shot and killed a grizzly bear with 6 shots of hard cast 9mm. Assuming you can get good shot placements, wouldn't something smaller like 9mm or .40 be a better idea?

Attached: bear_9mm_inset_2.jpg (253x355, 52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4ia4aMouk
ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/
buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Big iron
BIIIIIG IRON

Attached: 62690_1.jpg (500x236, 13K)

Attached: f4b7a2749bc4ef1dff22757da935f88f139c8812r1-720-514v2_00.jpg (512x365, 29K)

This honestly triggers me man. There are 8 billion humans. That old cunt and his nigger buddy aren't worth the life of a grizzly. At least kill the thing with a headshot you like.

I shot this decent sized bear with a 30 caliber rifle from over 200 yards. The round went through both lungs (they were almost pulp) as well as the heart and the bear was still able to run 300 yards in the brush before he fell over dead. That guide was pure blind lucky to stop that bear and the only reason it worked out is the first stop happened to sting the bear and cause the bear to stop and start spinning around and around while the guide kept shooting it in the lungs every time ot went around and around. If the bear had kept coming, the guide would have been dead. I've killed over 100 bears in hunting and while working. My go to is a 12 gauge slug if I need to stop a bear in it's tracks. 400 grain 45-70 is my next. Granted here in Canada we cannot carry handguns in the bush without begging out Government and jumping through a shit ton of red tape and hoops.

Attached: BearMauser.jpg (1000x662, 822K)

> - t. treadwell

>That old cunt and his nigger buddy aren't worth the life of a grizzly
Kill yourself you self hating faggot.
You are a symptom of the plague that is infesting humanity. You worthless sack of shit

I think a 12 gauge with some sabot slugs would be the best bet, as well. But from doing a lot of binge watching youtube last night, I've seen a number of bears get dropped pretty quickly by a short burst of 9mm or .40 shots. Certainly they're not the best caliber for the job but it seems to be that with the right bullet they're viable.

youtube.com/watch?v=yJ4ia4aMouk

That’s right. When a bear can possibly kill you at any moment, pouncing on you and eating you crotch-first, you don’t have time to go for a “headshot” besides there’s plenty of cases with bullets glancing off bear heads too

>kills bear while taking city yuppies fishing for money
>takes picture with bear
>leaves it there to rot
Who's the plague?

A L U M I N U M

Attached: 83003205-AA47-4641-A30A-1D7B8D075473.jpg (3024x2873, 2.15M)

Read the article. He was attacked and so where his clients. He defended himself and saved their lives. They left notified le came back and skinned it. Which is exactly what you're supposed to do.

If you think 9mm is good protection against a Griz, knock your self out. I have been to Alaska, and I'd laugh at any dumb cunt who thinks they could protect themselves from Griz or moose with a puss round.

Functional =/= ideal. To use a human example--while you COULD potentially incapacitate a 6'2 300 lbs crackhead high on PCP with just a .22 pistol, what would actually be ideal for that scenario would be an AR.

A bloo bloo bloo, a poor furry nigger attacked people and got ventilated. Fuck on outta here fag

Attached: masknig.jpg (823x879, 155K)

>are large caliber handguns needed
No
>ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/

She shot it while it was sleeping.

>spouting bullshit while not even reading the article.
Fuck off underage retard, it was walking towards her and she decided ot was too close for comfort.
Those .22 longs (less FPS then .22 LR) went right through its skull. Pictures are in the article you didnt read.

So it wasn't charging but standing still?

So even a .22 long, which is weaker that a .22 LR will go through a grizz skull see
But that assuming you can hit a target the size of a soft ball, that is moving in 3 dimensions, while you are experiencing an adrenalin dump, and have a more second or two to take the shot.
If you can hit the center mass of the skull, caliber is irrelevant, BUT if you miss slightly, then you need something can can drive deep and relatively straight to go through all the bone, muscle, hide deep into the chest cavity at that angle.

what? Like OP's post is a verified picture of a guy who used buffalo bore 9mm outdoorsmen and killed a grizzly. Are you saying they lied?

Again no one is saying 9mm is optimal, but if its all you have and your using the right ammo it works.

The fact that a .270 Win. is enough/minimum for killing an animal of this size, I can't figure out how can, what looks like a 9mm(I maybe say bullshit, but you understand what I mean), can kill an animal of this size.

It is a 9mm buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

scroll down for the story and pics.

A perfectly placed 22lr can kill a polar bear. All these energy numbers, and maximum ranges, and such are all designed to make up for humans not being perfect shots. If everyone could put a 22LR, into the weak points on a brown bears skull reliably then thats all that would be needed. But we cant, so we carry more powerful firearms to compensate.

>6’2” 300lb crackhead

On what planet do you live, user?

Shit, that's a lot of bears. Do you use their pelts as your wallpaper? Guy could fetch a pretty penny from that much hide.

why would you even try to shoot a bear with 9mm. Thats such a stupid fucking idea in the first place. That right there should tell you the type of people that are out their in the world.

yeah after you unload your whole clip into him. You could just usa an ak or 300 meme out. Hell even my trust 45 will do the trick

he shouldnt have been out their with 9mm to start with. Hes an idiot imho

He shot it in the weakest part of the back of its skull

Your brain has been jewed

>Assuming you can get good shot placements
That's your problem, you can't base your safety on mere assumptions when you're dealing with bears or other dangerous wildlife. If you're shooting you want to make sure each shot is effective even if your aim is shit.
I once killed a wild boar with a .50AE to the head, I should have a pic of it somewhere.
Anyways, this is my go to gun when going innawoods.

Attached: 1546787672886.jpg (3946x2250, 1.81M)

>Jow Forums filename
>carrying a .50AE

Are you jealous?

>clip
Jesus fucking Christ what happened to this place

It's not your gun. You saved some else's picture, faggot

Or maybe it's actually my gun and you're jealous as fuck because all you can afford is a 1911.
Did I mention I live in Europe?

Attached: 1536896970050.jpg (3947x2456, 1.98M)

it's not really about whether or not a larger or smaller round kills it just fine. It's about likelihood of a one-shot stop on a charging animal. It's the reason rich guys on safari back in the day carried a fuck huge caliber single shot rifle with them, so they could reliably and instantly stop a large animal charging at them.

Thank you. That's all you needed to post.

Attached: 1490840604937.png (500x501, 80K)

Where in Europe?
Can't imagine where you would be allowed to carry a handgun?

Hardcast in any caliber will penetrate bone. This is not the same as using fmj or hollow points. Your bullet choice is more important than your gun and caliber. 9mm hardcast will kill anything that moves. So will m855.

Romania
It's not licensed as a carry though. It's "only" for shooting at the range, so that means I'm not allowed to own ammo for it. I do smuggle a couple of rounds out of the range every time I go so I can use it innawoods as well.

Ah i see, that would be the same laws in Denmark then, cant carry either.
I would be too scared to carry lol, if i got caught, the police confiscate all weapons and i would'nt even be allowed to hunt..

You are on a weapons board.

Attached: 1547864747601.gif (800x800, 178K)

>it's a rare thing for someone browsing Jow Forums to own a gun
How far this board has fallen.

This is the real difference between American Chad's and Yuroslurps. If even the law prohibited us from carrying and owning we still fucking would pack heat. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: breaking the law is the true American tradition.

Well, our government have a registry, so they would easily be able to take the guns... No options for boating accidents. Also prisontime and would get kicked out of the navy as well..
But i really dont see a reason for carrying in Denmark, no dangerous wild animals etc.
Would be awesome if we could, but thats just not the case... And no way the population would rally and secure some kind of 2nd ammendment for us.. Most people dont like guns here..

>European guy with Deagle admits breaking the law by stealing ammo and using it off range
>muh Yuroslups that can't break laws

Attached: 1528066869561.jpg (819x795, 24K)

>Jesus fucking Christ what happened to this place
he could be using a clip fed gun
idk