What are the pros and cons of each?

Attached: banned.jpg (1058x794, 174K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtOcMf0
youtube.com/watch?v=JW1DuFQBKfU
youtube.com/watch?v=tDsnGFrQulA
shopruger.com/Mini-14-30-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90035/
ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/specSheets/5817.html
sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/1000-round-can-magtech-556mm-ball-m193-military-surplus-ammo-cbc-556mil
youtube.com/watch?v=5cPAOSRz_rg
youtube.com/watch?v=x_TQNwkQRpE
youtube.com/watch?v=xaBN2pDc5F8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Honestly if you don't live in a shit state you can get an AR for much cheaper, they're more modular and very easy to service.

I like the Mini-14 Model 5817 without modification. The price, however, is somewhat staggering.

Suggested Retail: $1139.00

youtube.com/watch?v=GIZALtOcMf0

Attached: 2016-Ruger-Mini-14-5817.jpg (799x320, 58K)

Pros
>it's not an AR

Cons
>it's not an AR

That's sexy as fuck

I'm beginning to agree. For a ranch rifle that rides in the truck, the Mini-14 might be a reasonable choice. It has a subtle element of tacticool style without terrifying the neighbors and alarming homeland security.

youtube.com/watch?v=JW1DuFQBKfU

Pros
>AWB compliant

Cons
>20 round magazine
>lack of STANAG options
>necessairly more recoil for the same round
>lack of modularity
>lack of aftermarkets
>1:9 twist
>$800-1,200

Is a 1:9 twist problematic in some way?

If you live in commiefornia or an equally cucked state you should get the mini but literally anywhere else you should get an AR

>easy to service
youtube.com/watch?v=tDsnGFrQulA

Not If you're all right with not being able to stabilize 77gr match ammunition or even M856 tracer rounds

>Pros for Mini
Well, if you need to use it for self defense, you’re less likely to be crucified
by the court+ jury, despite it being the same thing as an AR in niche
This too

There are plenty of 30-round mags available for the Mini-14.

$50 a piece for the ones that aren't 20-years-old lmao

shopruger.com/Mini-14-30-Round-Magazine/productinfo/90035/

A need for tracer rounds seems unlikely. What would be a good "ranch" round for a 1:9" RH, 18.5" barrel?

For a SHTF scenario, how would the most common 5.56x45mm NATO round perform in the Mini-14 Model 5817?
ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/specSheets/5817.html

1:9 is good for 55gr and lighter bullets. Heavier stuff you want a faster twist rate.

For a pure utility rifle, an AR is the way to go. Price, aftermarket support, accuracy, reliability, ergonomics, and recoil are simply better with an AR. Where the Mini stands out is as a fun range gun. I personally enjoy shooting my mini more than any of my ARs, and, if it isn't lighter, it at least feels lighter. Good 30 round magazines are rather expensive, and all the new ones I've gotten have either cracked or don't fit at all on my older Mini. Its only other plus is that you can fire it with a folded stock if you get one.

You idiots all do realize that the only reason we've had years worth of Mini-14 post spamming on this board is because of the spergouts you throw when they get posted, right? Just stop responding to these.

>20 round magazine
No there are thirty round mags.

>lack of STANAG options
Ok

>necessairly more recoil for the same round
It’s still a .223 nigga lol

>lack of modularity
Yes. Some people want a simple semi auto rifle without a bunch of Barbie dress up.

>lack of aftermarkets
Look around, lots of aftermarket

>1:9 twist
Most use 55 or 62 which it shoots better

>$800-1,200
You can find them for $700 approx right now. I think cause of slow sales in general

Then there would be no point to a 5.56 NATO chamber if you're just going to run M193 or commercial 55gr ammunition. You will actually lose performance necessarily and would be better off with a SAAMI 223 chamber

>caring about barrel twist in a 5.56 rifle

Attached: 1538094812794.gif (500x493, 631K)

How reliable are they really? I've heard that anything derived from the M1 system has issues sand, dirt and mud in the action.

Have to admit though, I dig the aesthetic.

My recent promags work just fine.

>It’s still a .223 nigga lol
Therefore a step backwards using an archaic action that is also less reliable
>no mount for a red dot
>bunch of Barbie dress up

>5.56 NATO rifle
>can't stabilize majority of 5.56 NATO loads

Attached: 1504760461290.jpg (640x853, 63K)

Mini-14s look cooler.

That's about it.

Attached: downloadfile-205.jpg (640x360, 43K)

What are you talking about? I am legitimately interested in hearing about peoples experiences with both the Mini-14 and the AR-15. Sorting out the various values, priorities and practicalities is a very useful thing to do. Maybe you've just gotten a little carried away (hysterical?) and need a break.

Attached: FMJ-M14-2.jpg (600x338, 67K)

That's just fuddlore pushed by wheraboos to disparage the Garand

Is M193 mil-spec surplus somehow a poor round for the Mini-14?

sgammo.com/product/223-556mm-ammo/1000-round-can-magtech-556mm-ball-m193-military-surplus-ammo-cbc-556mil
youtube.com/watch?v=5cPAOSRz_rg

So basically an inexpensive, LE6920 clone is going to outperform the Mini-14 in every metric and choosing the latter would amount to little more than preparation for or compliance with legislation against the latter

I would probably stay with the 20-round magazines but there is a 100 round drum available for the Mini-14.

Attached: mag-114-006_1.jpg (1000x1000, 37K)

I never claimed it was a poor round, just necessarily less effective with a 5.56 NATO chamber (the reason .223 wylde exist). Notwithstanding, I love that HUE shit too

Attached: CBC M193.jpg (718x693, 157K)

I bought a mini-30 literally only because I think they look cool and I had a few extra cases of surplus chinese x39. it's inaccurate, overpriced, and slightly unreliable. but damn does it look good

come at me fags

A sober adult might not be into the Rambo aesthetic, so I guess you left that metric out. In what other ways might have your feelings based "thinking" mislead you? ;)

Attached: rambo-header1.jpg (640x407, 56K)

I suspect my toaster has modernized more than either of those old as dirt rifle designs.

Was that a gen1 or a gen2 gun?

Totally, I've been using either a 30-30 or my .357 lever as a ranch gun. This is a nice alternative in a semiautomatic form.

Gen 2 I think. it has the thicker barrel and modern sights. it's my favourite gun by far even though I own objectively better rifles. something about that rotating bolt and the sound of the action

If you're in a shit state like kommiefornia you're better off getting a Mini-14. Pelosi included language singling out features and products that make AR-15s featureless in her recent AWB 2.0 draft and it's only a matter of time that it's copy pasted by faggots in the state legislature and signed by gavin newcum.

t. califag that went to the trouble of building featureless rifles

Why? It's your money.

That picture is horseshit. 20 rounders and 30 rounders are STANDARD. Not "high capacity."

why do pistol grips make the ignorant shit themselves?

It may be that the type of people who are seriously attracted to that aesthetic are [presumed] unfit in various ways to have weapons.

Can normally get em below $1k. I got mine for $850 before taxes in commiefornia

Attached: 04AB3DF8-7CC0-497C-95C5-B77877EADB0D.jpg (2048x1536, 816K)

Attached: nice.gif (444x250, 3.04M)

So instead of assessing the demeanor of a person to determine who is fit or unfit to be armed, the style of the weapon is assessed. Hmm...

Can pick up ruger OEM 30 and 20 round mags for $30 from distributors online. Expensive as fuck compared to $10 AR mags but not $50/mag bad

This is some next level copeshit right here...

>it's another episode of retards that have no idea what MSRP is

Mini-14 is worse in basically every measurable way, particularly when you compare at the same price point. It's very hard to compete against something that has had the R&D time the AR-15 has.
Mini-14 is still a lot of fun though, and I don't discourage you from getting one.
Just get a nice AR first.

>complying
faggot

>Mini-14 is worse in basically every measurable way
Hey man. It was good enough for the A-Team.

I think that's what the feral kids and ghetto skids call "glassed up".

Attached: a-team-with_guns.jpg (500x584, 94K)

>implying
I just wanted a wood rifle in 5.56 and new ammo law kicks in that requires you to have a weapon chambered in the round you’re buying so I needed a rifle chambered in .223/5.56

Plan to move out of state at some point

>Mini-14
Amazing, you found the one semi-popular rifle system thats even shittier than the DI Ar-15

Are you proud?

Come on, Dick. Don't be like that. What's a good 5.56 semi-auto ranch rifle in your opinion?

Attached: Dick-from-the-Internet-02.jpg (900x439, 105K)

>runtime:
>70 fucking minutes
Not as easy to service and maintain as an AR

It's a good looking machine. I like the design and the quality of the build. It's like a nice clock or camera. There is a niftiness to it.

>AR-15
>DI
It's a stationary piston

Those French AC-556 variants look amazing though...
I really dig the checkering on the french walnut.

Attached: 248AD67A00000578-2903380-It_has_been_claimed_Coulibaly_has_taken_up_to_five_people_hostag-a-49_14208 (962x637, 105K)

I think that variant is capable of full-auto fire.

Yes...that's why it's an AC-556 and not a mini 14

Mini 14's were the poor man's AR back when AR-15 were expensive. They were also popular during the ban era due to the lack of banned features.

The problem with mini 14's back in the day was shitty sights and poor accuracy from old tooling. Ruger fixed these problems with the new models....and then effectively priced themselves out of the market by raising their prices. Mini 14's got more expensive and AR-15's got cheaper.

If ruger was smart they'd bring back the factory folding stock. Those were sexy.

Attached: wm_4870982.jpg (640x480, 54K)

One of the reasons, besides memes, that I built an AR with wood furniture.

M-16 Documentary

youtube.com/watch?v=x_TQNwkQRpE

Attached: m16.jpg (600x300, 23K)

M-14 Documentary

youtube.com/watch?v=xaBN2pDc5F8

Attached: M14 Service Rifle.jpg (690x175, 15K)

>M1 Carbine with its pistol cartridge
>would not penetrate their [winter] clothing

Attached: 1502579917235.png (343x339, 162K)

Mini-14:
Pros
>Legal in commie states

Cons
>literally everything else, especially accuracy and reliability

Now I know what "sperg out" means.
This thread's little Helen Keller boy has special needs, indeed.

????

Attached: barrel twist 223, 556.jpg (800x348, 62K)

>modular
That's not a good thing. Modifying your gun is a fucking waste of time, money, and most of all, mental energy. You need to be spending your time, money, and mental energy shooting.

One will be banned within the next ten years, the other has 15yrs left.

You can make the AR full auto
Pic related, enjoy

Attached: Bottle opener.png (1636x1491, 3M)

this is what happens when poverty and autism combine

The mini14 is a novelty, aside from that the only reason to purchase one over an AR is if you live in a shitty ban state and out of all cucked options it's the best on the table.

>Mini-14 Pros
It's a little less common than ar-15

>ar-15 Pros
Everything else

>complying
eww

Mini's are good if you live in an anti-state or if you want a low profile gun. This is at the cost of being slightly more expensive than the least expensive AR, and being slightly less accurate at range.

>Wanting the feds and/or local commie cops to come euthanize your family pets
>Not having a SHTF back-up with all the scary features that got lost in a tragic boating accident

>Meanwhile I'm over here with my 5.56 vepr pioneer and nomags

Attached: iipsrv[1].jpg (800x800, 28K)

>magazines are $30-$40 each

MAGAZINES ARE $30-$40 EACH. GET REAL NIGGA I AINT BUYING A FUD-14 CARBINE

I have the post 2005 model. I like it because its aesthetic wood, points better than an AR, runs like an AK and works like a Garand/M14, easy to clean, doesn't crap where it eats, and it comes with a pictatinny rail. I don't like it because it flings brass about 25 yards away, the magazine operation requires some work, mine hates winchester white box, the rear sight gets loose, doesn't take AR mags, ruger scope rings scuffed my scopes (Ruger may have shipped the wrong rings), and that's about it.

Attached: Mini14 (2).jpg (1731x645, 174K)

Also, it shoots 2" groups at 100 yards despite having a heavy trigger to grunt through, and it's rough on brass.

Attached: mini14.jpg (1800x346, 44K)

The AR is superior in every way unless you live in a ban state like MA.
Little known fact about the mini 14 is the binary trigger mod. You can basically set up a rapid fire system with a staple and the ATF says this is perfectly legal. Look it up.

No LE agency uses them, no foreign country uses them. Things have their reasons.