Handgun General - /hg/ - #251

20XX edition

Pastebin:
>pastebin.com/gs6mLNik (embed)
Guide:
>scribd.com/document/382993265/gitgud-1-rev2-1

PT

Attached: nine thousand.jpg (2400x1600, 487K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/12/exclusive-testing-worlds-accurate-pistols-part/
pistol-training.com/archives/2069
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Childhood is thinking the Glock 19 is the best 9mm
>Adulthood is realizing the Glock 17 makes more sense

Attached: 1536612269766.jpg (720x402, 26K)

Mantis X

Anybody have experience with it? Worth getting as a group-buy for a club of new shooters?

Opinion: M&P 2.0 is underrated.

I've seriously considered the M&P as a first handgun but got something else
Maybe I'll get one as a race gun

And true maturity is acknowledging that the G34 was the only option all along.

Agreed, but people are coming around.

Spaceguns of yesteryear

Attached: IMG_20180906_023253_205.jpg (2503x1697, 954K)

The youtube channels Active Self Protection (ASP) and Active Self Protection Extra used to talk about it a bunch. idk if he was shilling but he seems like a little bit of a blowhard.

I don't know how, they're super popular. I'd like to see more anons buying M&P M2.0s and PX4s.

Attached: ell nine.jpg (1333x2000, 1.2M)

He still does, he just put out a video on some upgraded model

I think a guy ITT actually was using it as a shot timer at an indoor range where acoustic timers wouldn't work. So that's a potential use for them outside dry fire.

why's the safety so high? I like frame safeties, but they're pointless if you can't ride them with your thumb. or do I just have trump hands?

What pistol is that?

Still? Yeesh. I quit watching last year, got tired of him saying "get training" while sucking at shooting. Kind of like how Sootch says every single trigger is "crisp" when you can literally see the creep in the video.

Steyr L9A1

Steyr L9-A1

There's the L, M, C, S in size, in 9 and 40, and if you can find it there's an M357 sig out there.

The A2 was just revealed with a customizable grip, etc

IIRC designed by one of the original Glock designers with a thing for competition shooting. Out of the box it's nicer than a stock Glock IMO, better trigger and grip with exotic sights that would normally be aftermarket, but Steyr fucked up with importing and early model fixes, so it never caught on and there's zero aftermarket. Good luck finding a holster.

Attached: Deus.png (600x1452, 845K)

gimmie the gep gun

Reposting from the last thread.
Do any of you devils-handed anons go out of your way to get and use handguns, particularly CCWs, with lefty friendly controls or do you just adapt to normal controls?

And the wisdom that comes with old age and experience says a 17L is the true path

Fuck me, that looks familiar...

Attached: wait a minute.png (550x700, 435K)

Opinions on the springfield 1911 TRP? Never owned a 1911, or shot one. Are there any other better ones that I should look for?

Attached: file.png (1565x1500, 1.7M)

I'll reach enlightenment one day
>TFW a G17L with six mags is nearby for $640

Yeah, his "you shouldn't carry without paying $1200 for classes" attitude put me off. Especially when he's a worse shot than me even when using his RMR, and I have never taken, even informal, classes.

His preaching about cardio and wrestling skills while being 350lbs was much more egregious though, but he's on a Keto diet and actually lost a bit of weight, so I guess he's mellowing out.

Attached: 1450946071644.gif (296x160, 1.27M)

Mediocre gun from a shit company.

would you recommend a DW pointman seven?

Attached: file.png (2000x1333, 965K)

just picked up my first Polymer80

Attached: P80.jpg (1000x1000, 496K)

Thanks. That's a really nice looking gun. Why is it so cheap compared to glocks and the like? ~$400-$480's not bad for a gun that attractive.

They are nice, but would shit all over it. If you're paying that much, might as well take the step up from production to semi-custom. Dan Wessons are fucking awesome.

It's just not that popular. I don't think they've been adopted by any militaries or police agencies, and they don't have much in the way of aftermarket.

Enjoy the fun, its a challenge but a fun one.

Also, can anyone recommend some suppressor height night sights? I`m going full meme and want a set to put on my p80 I just finished. I was thinking about Night Fision, anyone have any experience with them?

Right handed mag release buttons are easy to work around and slide releases/stops are easy to ignore but I tend to avoid guns with right handed only safeties and decockers.

checked

They are good guns, not mediocre. Whether Springfield is politically shit can be debated but their 1911s are definitely solid and always have been, if slightly overpriced. Probably the best thing they "make." Don't get memed on the first reply user.

I also third the recommendation for a Dan Wesson if you don't want/need the TRP's rail or bushingless barrel. $1,600 buys more quality in a DW Valor than in a Springfield TRP, but that $1,600 buys more features from Springfield than DW. $1,600 also buys a great midrange 1911 with $800 left over for ammo.

Either way your resale value is going to take a shit (like with most guns) so don't buy something thinking it's going to be an "investment" or an "heirloom," buy the thing you actually want, or spend less if you can get what you want for less money. Even the $400-500 Filipino 1911s are good buys for the money.

tl;dr For fuck's sake don't rush out and blast all your money on something because ONE user says "hurr its shit"

I also don't like how he pronounces "and" "ayund" 25 times per sentence.

Steyr's marketing team is abysmal, they should get fuckin necked. They don't advertise anywhere, have no government or military contracts anywhere and franks their pistols aren't amazing (but they're definitely good). They're also an acquired taste because of the grip and sights, so a lot of first timers are put off which also doesn't help the brand.

and Burt's here to shill for Springfield Inc

Anyone know of a good kydex AIWB holster for an M57? Google only shows me hybrid or leather holsters.

Lol nothing annoys me more then sootch and his
“Nice crisp clean break” on fucking every single gun ever.

Lads, I feel lime I'm starting to drift from the H&K brand. Going into a couple of LGSs lately and I'm not really impressed. The DA/SA triggers are okay. It's not a major problem, but for the price you pay for a NIB H&K leaves me wanting more. The LEM triggers seem to be better, but they still aren't that good (I was specifically looking at a P2000 with the LEM trigger and was rather disappointed). They're good pistols and they are masters of making some of the best looking handguns on Earth, don't get me wrong, but the gritty triggers and higher price point don't seem to be much of a value anymore. I used to talk about muh H&K quality when I was a braindead brandfag after buying my first handgun, but the more I shoot and try other handguns, the less I can justify it. I don't believe that H&K products are any more 'quality' than similarly capable other guns I've had the pleasure to shoot.

This is some well prepared bait.

Attached: alan-rickman-rip-pic.jpg (600x400, 33K)

I usually like your posts, my dude, but those are my sincere thoughts. H&Ks are good guns. They are worth the money for the most part, but I honestly don't think they represent an amazing value. Mind you, I'm talking about the USP/P2000/P30/HK45 and especially the VP9.

The VP9 is cheaper than a Glock and the P2000 can be found for around $550 on sale (granted, that IS Glock full price)
I'll give you that the USP is a very expensive gun, dealer price is pretty high and you somply won't see them at a sane price new, but the P30/L/SK is in the $580 range now which is reasonable (unlike the $999 price tag a few years ago).

The problem I had with your post was claiming they're not any higher quality than other guns, which is false. Unless you judge everything purely by trigger feel which is incredibly flawed IMO

underrated implies it isn't massively popular already, which it is.

The GEP gun takedown is the most silent way to elliminate MANDERLEY.

Not to mention the huge price drop in the HK45 series as an alternative to the USP series. I carry my HK45C very comfortably and the HK quality is evident in all aspects of it.

I'm not saying they aren't quality. They certainly are. I just don't think they represent an amazing value for the level quality you do get.

Yes, absolutely, Dan Wessons are awesome guns.
>pointman 7
>not a 7" slide
I've wanted to build a 7" 1911 with a fucklong comp for like 10 years, but the only company I've found that makes blank 7" slides both wants $800 for the slide and has Khyber Pass tier quality.

Guys who shoot DA/SA, is there a DA trigger weight at which point you say 'nope'? Or, are their certain DA guns you just avoid outright?

Why doesn't the industry adopt the term 'midsize' for semi-auto handguns with barrel lengths between 3.9" and 4.1" and heights around 4.7" to 5.3"? I feel like calling handguns like the G19 and various others that represent a similar size 'compact' is bonkers.

I pretty much nope out at DA pulls over 8lbs. Which any more is most of them unless you do a bit of trigger work.

9-12 lbs seems to be standard for most first shots with DA/SA triggers, and individual guns vary slightly within specification. I haven't heard of anything above 14 lbs, but at that point I'm sure wouldn't want it.

Because you're expected to do your research and not buy a gun off the internet you've never seen an example of in person, so it doesn't matter. Same reason they don't call big fuckers like G40s, mk23s, Hardballers, and Coonans "extended size" or "jumbo".

Okay, I get that, but I personally think it's subjective to what you're looking for.
By mechanical accuracy alone they're head and shoulders above most manufacturers, not to mention the lifespan, quality of magazines, and ability to feed incredibly hot ammo.
These may not be priorities for you, but they are to me, so while it's not a value for you the mechanical accuracy of s P30L, a USP9, or a Mk23 even, is comparable to more expensive guns and I'm saving money getting it from an HK (and without the usual reliability/durability drawbacks of target guns)

But, it doesn't represent a good value in trigger quality or other things you find more important so subjectively it's a mediocre bang for your buck.

>I'm fucking rambling autistically, I hope you get my point

How are you measuring 'mechanical accuracy'? Are you talking about machining quality? Slide fit? Because if that's what you're talking about, I can hardly agree that they are 'head and shoulders' above other manufacturers. Better than CZs with marks on the insides of slides, yes, of course. 'Head and shoulders' above even half the reputable manufacturers around, though? Maybe they're slightly better, but I think you're starting to be a bit overzealous in your description.

Mechanical accuracy, the inherent lockup consistency that produces groups downrange.

Look at this article, look at the price of those guns, then remember the Mk23 produced an average of 1.44" at 25yds and several 0.5" groups using military ball ammo.
And there have been multiple cases of the P30 and P30L producing 25 yard groups as small as 1.6"

thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/12/exclusive-testing-worlds-accurate-pistols-part/

Where's the H&Ks in that article? I'm not seeing any, so I don't really care for mixing the results of one trail with the results of another. Furthermore, their testing methodology includes the shooters holding the handguns and resting them against sandbags. I wouldn't say this is a true way of measuring mechanical accuracy considering they said they didn't have a way to nest the test guns in a mount or a means of providing a uniform trigger pull with every shot to exclude human factors.

pistol-training.com/archives/2069

>P30 after over 53,000 rounds, using speed gold dots

Not an apples to apples test, as this was shot off a rest, but still.

See Fired off a basic rest (held by the shooter) and the Mk23 results are from the initial SOCOM trials

Is it true the Raven vanguards don't work with the 2.0s? I heard something about inconsistency in the trigger guard dimensions

For me DA length is more important. If I have to adjust my grip to reach it then its out of the question. Most revolvers I've tried give me issues with this.

What round are you 9mm dudes carrying? Thinking about getting a 9mm at some point, the 135gr +P Critical Duty is looking good to me. Pic unrelated.

Attached: ASU85AFG1.jpg (911x509, 96K)

Critical duty is what I run, but hear good things about speer gold dot hp as well!

HST micro.

147HST

This guy is shooting 4 inch group with a 92fs at 25 yards from a rest. I shoot 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards off hand with mine. This test is fucked

Attached: 1542683599049.jpg (346x508, 43K)

What's a good out of the box supcompact I can pick up, throw in a holster and carry all year without feeling like I need to replace the sights or trigger or what not? I'm just looking for a one and done solution

>I shoot 2.5 inch groups at 25 yards off hand with mine
doubt.jpg

Those who do not open their eyes will never see
>aka: git gud

Attached: Screenshot_20180822-135359_Gallery.jpg (2220x1080, 1.6M)

You may want to challenge someone else dude, he's literally the best shot in /hg/

Then why does he doubt hiting a 3 inch plate at 25yd?

Short of a video, it's too easy to lie on an image board. We're stuck taking each at their word, and we all know what that's worth here.

If you can CONSISTENTLY pull 2.5" groups at 25yds offhand with a Beretta you could literally make $300k+ a year on the competitive Bullseye circuit, as that's grandmaster level shooting.

I'm regionally competitive with several state championships under my belt (spread out over 20+ years...) and I can't consistently pull 2.5", 10-shot groups at 25 yards with a custom bullseye gun.

So let me upgrade my doubt.jpg to BULL FUCKING SHIT.

researching what handgun to get has just shown me that half of everyone thinks half the guns are great and the other are shit and the other of of the population thinks the opposite

Your experience is appreciated man but Im letting you know my personal experience. Obviously Im not Chris Kyle but I will tell you that If I take my time and take a good shot, Im gonna hit that plate 4/5 times. I'm trying to argue the mechanical accuracy of the gun here, not my personal skill.

What that should tell you is that it mainly comes down to user preference. Hold and test as many guns you can before you buy one. Advice on here is great, but take none of it as flat truth.

80% of guns are objectively good enough and the only difference is subjective personal opinion. The other 10% are objectively worse and the remaining 10% are objectively bad.

>Im gonna hit that plate 4/5 times
There it is.

I've only shot rifles at private places outdoors. I'm embarrassed to say I have no idea what it's like shooting in a real gun range.

>goes from 2.5" GROUPS to "I can hit a 3" plate" to "I can hit a 3" plate 80% of the time if I really focus and take my time"
>"his" beretta is labelled "screenshot"
You're full of shit.

So, to try and detract from the pissing contest....
My competition trigger group for my Px4 should be arriving tomorrow. Excited to install it and test it this weekend.

Anyone else got any upgrades to their own pistols they'd like to talk about/share?

Attached: 1523430015324.jpg (4128x2322, 2.44M)

I believe you guys when you post targets, but I'm pretty gullible

not him but as a phoneposter, half my pics are screenshots from my phones gallery to get around the file size limit.

>2.5" groups at 25 yards
You guys are making me feel bad.

Attached: 20180806_134452.jpg (3984x2988, 2.66M)

Yeah, I can hit a 3 inch plate at 25 yards a good percentage of the time with MY Beretta, you figured out what I was saying, congrats.
Still dont understand what you are trying to say, is that an impossible feat to you? Do you not think it possible for the handgun to do that? You seem upset but I dont know about what.

Attached: Screenshot_20190207-120527_Gallery.jpg (1080x2220, 1.55M)

147gr Federal HST's
Perform well enough in every test ive seen and feed reliably in my carry gun

Attached: 20180619_215112.jpg (3264x2448, 3.26M)

I cajunized my RAMI last year. Shit is cash.

Attached: 20180621_171941.jpg (4160x3120, 3.55M)

also,
Explains the filename
>nb4 phoneposting
I dont sit in front of a computer all day, but I like my Jow Forums, Sue me

>HURR THE TEST IS FUCKED I CAN DO BETTER OFFHAND THAN THEY DID OFF THE BENCH
>gets called on it
>HURR BUT I CAN HIT A PLATE THAT'S A DIFFERENT DIMENSION THAN I ORIGINALLY STATED I WAS SHOOTING GROUPS AT
>gets called on it
>....MOST OF THE TIME, IF THE CONDITIONS ARE RIGHT
>gets called on it
>ZOMG I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU MAD BRO JUST CUZ I CAN DO IT AND YOU CANT EVEN THOUGH MULTIPLE PEOPLE HAVE VOUCHED FOR YOU AND I CAN'T EVEN POST A PIC OF A SINGLE GROUP YOU GOTTA TAKE MY WORD THAT I'M LITERALLY A CHAMPION LEVEL SHOOTER BRO WHY YOU MAD BRO

So are you retarded, stoned, autistic, or some combination thereof?

Don't be, that 2.5" is a smaller group than most Gen4 G19 pistols are mechanically capable from a vice. You're doing fine

How does any of what you just said invalidate my point at all? .5 inch extra is dick, but go ahead and throw all the red herrings you want. I would take a picture next time I go shooting, but Im sure that wouldnt satisfy you either. The test sucks ass, that Beretta was not a good example and they even said it in the article. The facts simply do not support you here on this one. For supposed marksmen yall are real doubtful. I dont want to argue with anyone, you attacked me, but Im gonna stand up and tell the truth, so go ahead and call me retard, retard.

This is you.

Attached: 1487621989311.jpg (400x427, 34K)

Trump hands. Riding the safety works fine for me, for that matter i don't really think its unusually high compared to other guns.
Personally i go with tthe 147gr HST these days(standard pressure). The 135gr +p CD certainly is a top choice, so good that a lot of PDs use it and the FBI is dropping .40 for it as standard issue, not that the FBI hasn't made poor ammo choices in the past or anything.
>top tier 9mm carry ammo: HST(147gr in particular), Gold Dot(124gr +p in particular), 135gr +p CD, Ranger-T(147gr or 124 +p), and loads using barnes all copper XPB bullet at a sufficient velocity.

Literally nothing you said is true. You repeatedly changed your story and provided ZERO proof, you have no credibility.

We all believe what we want to. I just wanted to point out how my experience differed from someone elses. If that is too much for you, so be it.

Nah, I hear you. I have a 1moa rifle by CEP off a bunny ears bag. Granted, I have to nearly always mark two of my fliers out of every 10 as "fliers" so they don't effect the average, but then it's definately a 1 moa gun.

Nice, got any other upgrades in it?

>only handgun is an xds
>all my friends are finally buying their first guns
>making me jealous with a bunch of full-size pistols

Attached: 1545487092235.png (1080x708, 1.12M)

Meprolight TRUDOTs and it had a CZC SAO flat trigger before I switched back to DASA. The holster is a Clinger Stingray which is garbage out of the box so I took a dremel to it and redrilled the retention holes for a Harry's claw and I have a JM wedge that I use when I'm not wearing a belt.

>Meprolight
isn't that a jew company?

Its the only company that makes night sights for the RAMI as far as I know.

"hitting a 3" plate 4/5 times at 25 yards" and "shooting a sub 2.5" 10 shot group at 25 yards" are fucking miles apart. If you truly had the experience and skill level you are claiming to this would be insanely simple to comprehend. In fact everything is speaking to contrary and suggesting that you are another dunning kruger victim.

About to try my first USP9f, what should I expect?

A mediocre trigger but a very smooth shooting, accurate gun.

I was shooting my VP40 the other day & got three malfuntions like pic related. Pulling back on the slide, then releasing it fixed the problem every time. The ammo was AE train & protec hollow points. What do you think was causing the malfuntions?

Attached: IMG_2813.jpg (3024x4032, 1.59M)

>maks and toks are like $200 everywhere I look

Besides ammo, what's the catch?

correction, maks are like 3-400

mediocrity