How realistic is shooting a nuke from a railgun?

How realistic is shooting a nuke from a railgun?
Metal gear Rex has a railgun it can shoot nukes from so it can't be traced since it isn't burning fuel
Is this realistic?

Attached: ilsagf0uld411.jpg (594x541, 59K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon
imfdb.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid#Railguns_and_stealth
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-battery_radar
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends on the size of the payload

You could definitely trace it, nothing stealthy about that. Not to mention the bipedal body is impractical, just mount it on a truck like some ICBMs.

Hideo Kojima is a prophet

Let's say it's small enough to shoot from a railgun
But trucks are not as cool as mechs

>nothing stealthy about that.
the reasoning is that since rex doesnt burn propellant, you cant see the projectile in flight
and since its launched from a mobile platform, you cant be sure where rex will be after its fired

From IMFDB but probably as accurate as anything else.

"A major plot point is that Metal Gear Rex's railgun is capable of launching a "stealth" warhead which cannot be detected by satellites and is "totally impossible to intercept." This is actually severely untrue.

This is because a rocket engine applies force to an ICBM over a prolonged period of time; for example, a Trident ICBM's boost stage, which accelerates the missile to roughly 20,000 feet per second, lasts roughly two minutes. If Rex's railgun is imagined to be around 50 feet long, it would have to accelerate the projectile to the same speed in the 0.005 seconds before the warhead left the weapon.

Imagining the warhead to weigh 862 kilos (the size of a Mark 23 nuclear shell for a 16" / 50 Calibre Mark 7 battleship gun), it would have 16,016 megajoules of kinetic energy at launch. Since no machine is 100% efficient and most are nothing like this, it would not be exaggerating to imagine the railgun's wasted energy (in the form of recoil, heat and mechanical deformation of the rails) would be the same amount of energy again, meaning the heat energy emitted by Rex on firing would be the equivalent of the detonation of about four tons of TNT. This and the superheated trail caused by the round's passage through the atmosphere would mean a Metal Gear firing its main weapon would be easily detectable by existing systems designed to spot ICBM launches."

Metal gears are still cool though.

>Is this realistic?
You're talking about the least-efficient type of Single-Stage-to-Orbit technology...

Maximum velocity at minimum altitude = maximum drag

The idea of directly launching a projectile to orbit from a cannon has been seriously attempted only by some literal 3rd world tinpot dictators.

See Project Babylon: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Babylon

Switching the propellant to a rail-gun doesn't solve the massive penalties that come with trying to achieve escape velocity while still in dense atmo.

REX runs 60mph

This

see

87mph, correction

This. Anybody who has played Kerbal Space Program knows how retarded this is.

What about high frequency blades

I have always wondered about that: does its stealthy launch method really matters from strategic standpoint? In any scenario that makes sense?

Imagine that there's NATO-russia crisis , and US decide to use their super-stealthy-invisible nuke launcher to strike russia.

>*Nuke explodes out of nowhere*
>Russia: Oh No! Our tank division/ICBM field/Submarine Base/PresidentalPalace just exploded out of nowhere
>we have no idea how the nuke got there
>so lets just pretend it did not happen and not retaliate against USA

I mean, metal gear nuke platform makes sense if you are some insurgent hiding in mountains. But for any real nuclear power, what does it offer really other than guarantee of your own annihilation?
If i squint hard i could maybe see it as guaranteed second strike capability against suprise attack, , but thats why you have boomer submarines that actually carry enough nukes to be credible threat, unlike gears.

Attached: lemay one_0.jpg (424x504, 20K)

Because there are more than two nuclear capable countries in the world user. Following your example, the French could nuke China and laugh as the USA and China reduce each other to ashes. Amd weren't Metal Gears usually developed by shady organizations anyways?

Adding on to the other guy, I think the point of stealth doesn matter post boom. its just about getting the nukes there, presumably at a vey high volume, and exploding before time to launch a counterstrike can be acheived. if all your nuke silos went to ashes before you even knew what was happening, you cant retaliate at all.

Well most MGs where kinda used like that for asymetrical situations.
-Shagohod: Meant for set up in soviet controlled areas without being glaing launch sights.
-Peace walker: Fail safe mutual asured destruction system meat to "hide" til needed.
-Sahelanthropus: Super weapon made to counter other metal gears.
-TX-55 & D: Made for small insurgents and nations like you said.
-Rex: Kind of the odd man out but maily meant to test the "stealth" launch system.
-Ray: Anti metal gear platform.
-Arsenal: Defense platform for GW

I imagine if you attached Davy Crocketts(mini nukes with a 3 mile radius) it would be an effective use of the rail gun but regular nukes wouldn't be stealth weapons

On the other hand , unlike rockets, in land based launch system, you don't really have to worry about size, power requirements, weight and aerodynamics of your propulsion system , (im not talking about walker robot of course) . You can literally ignore the single worst part about rocketry equations - the mass cost of lifting all this into orbit. This can be pretty tempting.
So you have the greater potential to bruteforce shit using less advanced technology.

The fact that your launch method requires 5 times as much energy can be mitigated by the other fact - that you can make your launch systems 20 times larger, more powerful and reuseble.

ANFO is way less powerful and effective than C4. But load a truck with it, and it can still do the job.

Guess you can squirl your little nuke death bot into bum fuck nowhere and use it to glass someone you don't like and no one will know who did it.

Thats what the boomers are for .

You dont really launch nukes for shits and giggles. In any situation where nuke is worth launching, listo of suspects and their motives is not that long. And when going for nuclear retaliation, you probably would nuke the "maybes" as well just to be sure.

I do feel the Mk 23 shell is a little too big to fit in REX to begin with, and it's pretty old (read, inefficient and heavy), so that's probably a bit of an overestimation as to the force required. Otacon also states their detonation range is 300 meters, and the Mk23, being 15 Kilotons (the same power as Little Boy, handily enough) means the REX nuke was probably pretty darn small, considering it was probably top of the line stuff yet with such a small blast radius. REX's railgun canonically has an end muzzle velocity of 100 Kilometers per second, or about 620 miles per second, which is about 19,400 miles per second slower than IMFDB puts it as. I really dont know why they used the Mk23 as a jumping-off point, as it's really really big for a nuke anyways. I'm willing to ignore the canonincal muzzle velocity because any schmuck could just say "its 5 feet per hour, checkmate" in some obscure codec call, but if we're more reasonable with nuke size, and if we consider that it, much like most guns, might have some kind of heat distribution method, it's a little less unreasonable.

Attached: bote nuke.jpg (664x566, 43K)

What about Excelsus?
Isn't saturation the name of the game whe trying to get past missile defence systems? You don't want to spread your nukes thin just because maybe there's a 1% chance Zimbabwe fired

Excelsus did not have any nuke capabilities that I am aware of (joke codec call where they only called it a metal gear so it would sell). Was meant to buldoze I to urban combat zones and merk any obsticald and provide support to infantry.

Heat motherfucker. You ain't just gonna pull a material that can withstand the heat of traveling that fast at such a low altitude out your ass

Maybe the Mk23 was only thing they had data to work with? Or only shell with similar energy output to compare with? I figued REX would have a proprietary shell to use.

Well with modern tech sure, but the Shagoha was made roughly in the 60s, so such tech wouldn't detect this system.

It's called back azimuth. Yes, it can be traced.

Look at the Davy Crockett. If you have a space the size of a basketball or larger and you can but some kind of nuke in there and then figure out a propulsion system. I'm sure you could fire a nuke from a rail gun. Will it be a MIRVed ICBM? Maybe not
Trace it? Well...modern ICBMs have IR satellites constantly trained on their silos (or suspected silo locations) these satellites pick up the heat signature and then the armed forces can train their radars on that location and track it.

A bipedal mech that no one knows where it is with a different heat signature than an ICBM? It's likely no one would know of a launch until they were hit.

Boomer subs are already a shitload more terrifying than any metal gear you could dream up except for maybe arsenal gear for all the EW shenanigans it was supposedly capable of, even if it was retardedly large.

All you need to know on the subject:

imfdb.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid#Railguns_and_stealth

Sahelanthropus wasn't for countering other MGs, it was intended as a front-line offensive weapon. The Hamburgler also wanted to equip it with depleted uranium armor which would turn the MG into a walking nuke after metallic archea processed the armor into fissile material, but Snake foiled his plans on that front.

Attached: 1503883101940.jpg (1536x1024, 853K)

>depleted uranium
>a walking nuclear bomb
The fuck? I thought Japanese people were supposed to be smart. A "undetectable" nuclear platform would be a slow, quiet cruise missile that could slip into the USSR for a decapitation strike.

>metallic archea processed the armor into fissile material,
You missed this part hater.
'Metallic archea=magic'
And besides, if they're so smart why would they 'work' 14 hour days whether theirs 14 hrs worth of work or not, just because they feel obligated and are shamed if they only put in their contractually obligated amount of time?
Sounds pretty dumb.

>it was intended as a front-line offensive weapon.

It was intended to sell Skull Face's suit case nukes. Sally shows up, terrorist cells be like "How can we compete with that shit!?" Then Skull Face be like "Did I hear somebody say untraceable man portable nuclear weapons at a reasonable price?"

This guy did a good job. But can I also add that it's basically impossible to stealth coat this kind of projectile against radar. Radar detects artillery for counter-battery targeting. It could easily detect the long shot from a railgun round.

Attached: 1484557512585.jpg (714x592, 92K)

is there a canon reason for sahel being clearly more high tech than rex, like 40 years prior? I mean theres a clear spike, and then drop, in technology in between shagohod and rex

Attached: Manlet_snake.webm (800x450, 1.99M)

Sahel was puppeted by young Psycho Mantis. Huey says something about Sahel not actually being able to balance on it's own when fully erect in the casette tapes

Quoting a guy who worked in Japan for many years, "The Japanese are great at cramming five hours worth of work into an eight hour day." Unless it's crunch time, Japanese work culture seems to be centered around being present if your boss needs you for something.

You can detect projectiles in flight with radar.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counter-battery_radar Granted that the walker would probably be able to shoot lots of them very quickly, but if the radar operators on on their game, they could probably use the detection data (if it hasn't been destroyed by the nuclear blasts) to considerably shrink the search area at least.
>Tl;dr It would do a lot of damage but ultimately be found and destroyed