So Jow Forums, was it actually a better plane? Why didn't it win?

So Jow Forums, was it actually a better plane? Why didn't it win?

Attached: 1545517390439.jpg (1280x943, 537K)

Other urls found in this thread:

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24911/this-is-what-a-northrop-f-23a-wouldve-looked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-atf-competition
militarywatchmagazine.com/article/japanese-black-widow-could-a-revived-f-23-program-soon-provide-the-east-asian-state-with-the-world-s-most-capable-fighter-jet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It was behind in testing schedule and may have had inferior all-aspect stealth. The YF-22 was on schedule and had more mature engines.

Do you think the cooling tiles would have made enough of a difference in thermal signature to be worth forgoing thrust vectoring?

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24911/this-is-what-a-northrop-f-23a-wouldve-looked-like-if-lockheed-lost-the-atf-competition
Would've been a big bitch, and not as maneuverable as the F-22
More of a replacement for the FB-111 than the F-15

Attached: 45388043_393798111191737_4217838446860875040_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.cdninstagram.com&se=7& (1080x584, 27K)

>inferior all-aspect stealth
I heard otherwise - that YF-23 had better all-aspect stealth, when YF-22 had better frontal stealth.

the material that helps absorb radar don't hold up at extremely high speeds, going faster isn't viable

stealth was only better at the back and sides while F-22 is more stealthy head on.

also f-22 is more sexy, 23 butt ugly

Attached: 1548908955484.jpg (2048x1342, 287K)

>also f-22 is more sexy, 23 butt ugly
Having this shit taste should be illegal

Wrong, looks are the only good thing about the YF-23, it's way more interesting to look at.

f22 wing has been folded a million times and the 23 looks like a fat boy with his arms out

>Why didn't it win?
Politics. Politicians were pissed off at Northrop due to politicians fucking up B-2 development. Economically Lockheed wasn't exactly doing well in early 90's.

The YF-23 should be better from the front due to it's special boundary layer separation system at the intakes, the F-22 just has a big ugly splitter.

If Northrop engineers are to be believed, it was superion in everything but maneverability, which is pointless on a modern flying missile boat. Of course they are probably biased, but they were not the only ones cited saying that. I believe the official reason given for the choice was that the 22 had "better project management", which almost certainly translates to "Lockheed paid us more".
Hopefully the rumours are true and Japan buys some, this girl deserved better

Attached: 1549298495303.gif (1504x1013, 417K)

You nigs been playing Ace Combat 7? Shit is great. F-14 Tomcat for life.

Attached: US_Navy_051105-F-5480T-015_An_F-14D_Tomcat,_conducts_a_mission_over_the_Persian_Gulf-region.jpg (2220x1484, 214K)

I know they wouldn't work, but AC superplanes are pure sex

Attached: 1837368-cfa44nosferatu2.jpg (1280x720, 150K)

>that extended bird replaces the f-111 and enters service in tandem with the F-22 And F-35

Fuugggg muh dick, this is the alternate present I want to live in.

I haven't gotten that far yet, I'm still rolling with the F-14 and the A-10. The YF-23 or 22 is one of the last planes on the unlock tree, though. F-22 Raptor is last.

sadly 7 only has the strike wyvern so far, although it is a sexy plane. the new dlc trailer hints at FALKEN, Morgan and Nosferatu though

I hate plane nerd faggots who unironically cry about some gay 90's stealth jet not being selected over some other meme piece of shit that looks the exact same - who gives a fuck?
>ah bloo bloo my waifu yf-23 was so good even though i don't actually know anything about it

Attached: 1549574557422.png (203x171, 3K)

he says, as he cries over a german failed caseless gun that cooked off its own ammo

Attached: maxresdefault (1).jpg (1280x720, 432K)

Attached: 1542009363825.jpg (640x332, 102K)

Should have been the Navy’s fighter.

As one of the engineers is quoted as saying from the black widow Ii documentary, “it was.... really fast.... much faster than the YF22”.

All indications from various primary sources imply that Mach 3 was achievable without stating the actual speed.

I don't think it could take off from carriers though

>he says, as he cries over a german failed caseless gun that cooked off its own ammo
Umm no sweetie, I'm not a Gay11 fanboy.

Oh look it’s this fucking thread again.

Not with that attitude it couldn't

>su 47 will never become real
>su 57 will flop
I know there will be a Chinese copy in the future but still

meanwhile this piece of garbage is made

Attached: 300px-J-20_at_Airshow_China_2016.jpg (299x200, 8K)

>militarywatchmagazine.com/article/japanese-black-widow-could-a-revived-f-23-program-soon-provide-the-east-asian-state-with-the-world-s-most-capable-fighter-jet
Based Nippon saving planes again

Attached: 080904-F-1234S-001.jpg (1800x950, 227K)

at least chinks are trying, mean while in Africa...

Attached: ELpKRUe.gif (450x254, 3.13M)

It only looks good in black.
Without that it just looked like an F-22 that had its wings put on wrong

Attached: 1531322415996.gif (227x224, 12K)

The technical details didn't matter much; both competitors we're well within requirements. The Northrop/McDonnell team lost because Northrop had just fucked up the B-2 program and McDonnell had just fucked up the A-12 program and the air force was pretty sure that if they got the contract they'd fuck this one up too, because it was a team full of fuckups

source: used to work at Northrop, talked to old-timers

...they got fucked over a lot harder by the colonial era, were stuck as colonies for far longer, and have been fucked with far more since decolonisation giving them very little to try and sort out their shit and start to build up. But that's not the edgy "look at me I'm such a nazi lol" approach, so I guess it won't find much traction with the children here.

>used to
why did you stop user?

the place fucking sucks to work at, and the only way to get a decent raise in this industry is to switch employers, so I left after like six years. frankly shoulda left sooner

This. YF-23 is a meme.

Really? Why did it suck? What did you do? Tell us a story

Considering that the YF-23 and the F-22 is 30 year old stealth tech the Air Force most likely has way better stealth aircraft that have been more recently developed.

I kind wonder if its possible to combine
>forward swept wings
>canards
>thrust vectoring
With stealth and internal bays

>F-35
Nope.

I wrote software for radars. Every time we'd bid a job we would tell them that we were reusing a bunch of code from the last job so it would be cheap and quick to do, and every time we'd have to write the whole thing from scratch because the old code was garbage, and we'd be behind schedule the entire time because we underbid, so the new code was rushed garbage too.

The technical documents were all done by a "systems engineering" team that was full of morons, warm bodies drawing a paycheck, and the software team would need to rewrite them after the customer rejected them

Software guys who slacked or wrote shit code never got fired, they got hot potato'd between teams, so if your team was shorthanded you had good odds of getting someone with brain damage

Management once lost a competition on purpose for some shady strategic reason that I can't get into. Two years of work, right in the trash.

Oh and working on a SAR program means working in a windowless cave with no phone and limited internet access

Fuck that company. From what I hear, none of the others (Lockmart, GD, Raytheon) are any better either.

Considering the F-35 is attempting to replace the A-10, F-16, F-15, and F-18 which it can only realistically replace the F-18 and F-16. I’m talking about a legitimate designed for replacement for the A-10 along with another replacement of the F-15.

>I’m talking about a legitimate designed for replacement for the A-10
Waste of time, but an A-X project has been floated.
>along with another replacement of the F-15
PCA

You're not the only one

Attached: ADF-01_FALKEN_Multiple_Views_zps691d1ae8.jpg (888x1024, 70K)

>Talking shit about the 23's AESTHETICS
gass yourself

Looks kick ass, but I'm serious

I don't see why not, the J20 will have everything except FSW once it's more mature.

Am i the only one who doesn't like these stupid Ace Combat planes, they always have really dumb names as well.

McD was shit, too. My dad worked for Boeing when they bought out McDonnel Douglas. Boeing took a lot of the management from MD and gave them power in Boeing; turned the company to shit in a matter of months.

I understand if you don't like the designs since canards and foward swept wings are not for everyone, but you can't complain about the names. "Falken" (a german name) is dumb but "Tomcat" "Fishbed" "Frogfoot" "Aardvark""Stratofortress""Spirit" aren't? And that's before getting into missiles (storm shadow? Brinstone? really?)

I did F14 early game but the cockpit wasn't as satisfactory for me as the FA18's and others. Because I grinded on the fleet destruction for a bit the FA18 was so fucking godly.

I might be wrong but I'd think trying to make an all-in-one plane is about as mistaken as making an all-in-one gun.

remember, a bad manager is always worth more than a good worker. that's what the salary chart says so it must be true

>trying to make an all-in-one plane is about as mistaken as making an all-in-one gun.
It's less an all in one plane and more a "can bomb sand people and shoot down cold war era surplus jets well"

Attached: testflyging_av_forste_norske_f-35_-_22492943335_14_1.jpg (1486x876, 86K)

Also I just noticed, they dropped the golden canopy the F-22 had. Wasn't that a stealth enhancer? Did they cheap out?

I don't have a single Russian plane, so I don't know if they're any good but the F-14's long range A2A missiles are 10/10. They have 5x the range of any other regular A2A.

Plus, everything from that era is so comfy.

Attached: 1549141524520.jpg (943x960, 285K)

kinda

Attached: NorthropSwitchblade_PatentDrawing_1.png (1910x2837, 49K)

Doesn't work with NVGs as far as I'm aware, a lot of F-16 squadrons ditched the gold canopies as well. I believe F-22's are also losing their gold due to maintenance issues but that could be incorrect.

I have a few of the slav planes but I mostly got them so I could get the upgrades that come after them.

I have the entire Plane tree filled out and the Russian aircraft are honestly more versatile than the Euro and American aircraft.

Its pretty cool that the Tomcat gets a LANTIRN pod if you equip the GPB

Attached: natf-23.gif (771x670, 148K)

I'm up to the F-15 now, so going back to get MiGs would be taking a big step back. I do want a Flanker, though.
>it's making me post an image because mobile bug

Attached: WuMQyH5_d.jpg (640x640, 27K)

The gold canopy and the non-gold gray canopy serve the same stealth purpose, the latter just looks less cool and is cheaper.
From what I've read, they just replace the gold canopies when they're due for replacement anyways.

The Jow Forums part of my brain says:
>fuck the YF22, aesthetics are king
The non-retard part of my brain says:
>the YF22 was more finished and satisfied the contracts demands which is worth more than whatever potential the YF23 had.

The F-22 looks cooler, don't @ me N*throp fags

Attached: F-22 Raptor.jpg (3281x2187, 1.07M)

in the alternate universe where the the F-23 had won, there's an equal amount of shitposting about how the YF-22 was more aesthetic and technically superior and it should have won instead

HEY WHAT'S GOING ON GUYS?

Attached: X32 three view.jpg (1323x949, 354K)

Attached: 1417653350198.png (1024x562, 169K)

Well to answer your question yes, all three individually have worked just fine, forward swept wings are more aerodynamically unstable but modern fighters are deliberately built to be aerodynamically unstable, thus the necessarily powerful avionics and FBW systems. What it is though is an exotic design that nobody wants to risk spending all the money on to build and develop. Conventional backsweeping wings are well known quantities, same for conventional tails, probably one of the reasons why the F-22 won out over the YF-23.

Strike Wyvern is a cutie

Attached: Dy5Yj0pU0AAqhsU.jpg (1120x840, 73K)

>3 fake planes instead of missing real planes like F-15x, Draken, and F-117.

Attached: the-laughing-airplane-meme.jpg (500x500, 45K)

>F-117
That's one of the targets in the mission where you kill the first arsenal bird, I believe.

Nothing much, just hanging around

Attached: 1538659232_931fe9a336_b.jpg (1024x684, 327K)

What the fuck plane is this and why is my dick so hard?

Attached: a8a.png (800x392, 736K)

Attached: boeing bird of prey.webm (640x360, 1.88M)

and 6 Flanker variants

Suddenly I've got this urge to listen to Fatboy Slim that must be fulfilled.

Attached: posadist cat.png (301x307, 99K)

>Stealth tech demonstrator
Neat, explains why it's such a tiny plen too. Exotic wings, no tail and relatively rare overslung intake give it a really interesting and aesthetically pleasing shape to me. I'd love to see an air-superiority or multirole fighter with similar characteristics just because it's so pretty.

meanwhile Vietnam and India were colonies until the 1950s and they still outproduce sub 80 iq negroids but keep telling us how it’s big bad colonialism and not stupid niggers

F-14s make my peepee hard

Attached: IMG_6207c160-b5bd-4119-adfe-8e00fa085db0.png (1920x1080, 2.31M)

Not really. Farm Level 6 or 11 or mission 19 for massive MRP gainz and flush out the Russian side because it is worth. The Su-33 in multiplayer is the poorman’s X-02S.

Honestly, nobody is worse than knifefags, who spend gun money just to baton wood for fires they'll never light, knowing full well a hatchet works 1000x better.

>colonies
>the White Man built everything
You know that the quality of life is better in former colonies than in non colonies right?

>Razgriz skin
Muh dik

Attached: 1543506495897.jpg (620x931, 148K)

It's a Pavlovian response connected to Top Gun and beach volleyball. Be less gay

YF-23 had variable cycle engines, capable of alternating between turbofan and turbojet operation. Meaning it had better sipercruise.
Also the thing f22 overlooks is, yes it was more manuverable, but the su-35 is even more manuverable. The argument is that the 22 doesn't have to be as manuverable and the non stealth 4th gens because if it gets vfr shit has gone wrong. However between the 22 & 23 somehow manuverabilty matters more than sipercruise and stealth, two features it will use more often in it's designated role.

Fucking worst timeline.

F-22>yf-23 because more manuverable

F-22>su-35 because lel at visual range dogfighting

>Inb4 Russian shill
I just think the 23 would have been better for the role the 22 is in rn

I think people forget that Lockheed was typically known for stealth aircraft. The skunk works? At the time, major competitors were fucking up bad so it's obvious why the USAF would go with the YF-22.

Ironically, I find it hilarious that no matter how much effort is put in to replace the F-15, F-16, A-10, etc. They just can never really find any fault in them. It's like the .50, some weapons are just so well made that they can just keep being updated and never die off lmao. A bureaucrats worst nightmare.

i see Boeings Iranian division is hard at work.

It's also to do with operational requirements changing and the end of the cold war. Things might be different in 10 or 20 years as Russia and China modernize further, but since '91 there's not really been a pressing need for the west to overhaul its aircraft like there used to be. It helps that the Eagle in particular was massively overdesigned.

now turn it into a giant bomber and we klingon now

theyre both gorgeous user, a lot of these stealth planes look really great.

Why was the F-15 so good? It's a pretty old design that still sees use in multiple countries around the world. Was it just the big engines?

Attached: f15starscream_01.jpg (1500x1125, 374K)

>forward swept wings
>canards
>thrust vectoring
>With stealth
>and internal bays
Out of all you've mentioned Su-47 only lacked thrust vectoring.

Attached: su-47 (3).jpg (990x637, 58K)

Nope. The other guy is right. Stupid diamond plane looks dumb

Because it was designed to counter a soviet miracle plane that didn't exist

Was it really that stealthy though? Stealth kind of seems like an afterthought on that plane.

The 47 was a technology demnstrator thay went nowhere,I don't think it had any stealth capabilities. That said, aren't forward swept wimgs stealthier? That could have helped

It's not VLO, but it has some design elements that were definitely created with reducing radar signature in mind, like weapons bay, angled fins, several aligned surfaces and S-ducts.

Attached: su-47 (5).jpg (2836x2045, 837K)

>YF-23 had variable cycle engines, capable of alternating between turbofan and turbojet operation. Meaning it had better sipercruise.
No. The ATF engine is separate from the ATF plane. Both YF-22 and YF-23 could use either YF119 or YF120.