CAMO/MILITARIA THREAD

You know the drill. Post fresh purchases, discuss the aesthetics and practical applications of camouflage etc.

Attached: post-944-1223750890.jpg (640x480, 57K)

post a picture of the butterdish, I'd love to see the stamps

Attached: 1542057873035.jpg (812x1440, 273K)

I need to locate the sample first. Got a good amount of actual Wehrmacht gear for you to check numbers on. It's just that digging into the Narnia closet goes a bit slow.

They're M1 liners for sure. Wartime Stahlhelm liners came in fixed sizes and had straight metal bands with attached chinstrap loops.
These postwar concoctions are adjustable, feature a curved metal band with no chinstrap loops and were originally mounted to a plastic harness thingy (which has been cut off from the ones you have, though some bits still remain).

Attached: BW helmet liners.jpg (594x478, 118K)

These are German but postwar. I think they may have been used by DDR police forces.

Attached: german pw shoulder straps 1.jpg (778x810, 216K)

Oh well. I may just as well go buy some proper repros then. Or maybe I'll give it a shot anyway if it means I can wear one of those helmets.

These are also postwar German. And they are weird. It is as if some backwater police station decided to prolong them with some extra bits and pieces.

Attached: german pw shoulder straps 2.jpg (727x768, 151K)

those are west german border patrol

Metal hardware probably marked with 'OLC' ?

Attached: 04-1967_Grenzstreife_BGS_HEF_Gerstunger_Forst__2_.jpg (1200x866, 214K)

Replica ammo pouches for the MP40. Not half bad quality actually. Probably best suited for an Afrikakorps getup.

Attached: german REPLICA ww2 MP30 mag pouches.jpg (1043x564, 237K)

Austrian. German Y-straps are sewn in the back, never with pressed eyelets. At least the leather ones.

Oh fuck they've gone cancerous again with yet another former user/new namefag posting his worthless shit tier ebay garbage.

Those are made by Sturm aka Miltec from Rottenburg am Neckar.

You are right; OLC in a diamond.

The other set has no markings on the metal but there's an M.D.I. stamp. The straps are extensively reworked, but they look more like an older pair was rebuilt for some other purpose. There are sewed-on parts removed and other things seemed to have been hammered in place. Weird.

Really MDI? That's some weird shit you got there. I've never seen pressed eyelets even on super early DDR stuff. They seemed to me like austrian backpack y-straps.

OLC is Overhoff & Cie Lüdenscheid

How can you possibly tell? Are they the only ones making them? You could well be right. I didn't immediately see any markings though.

The sum of markings are M.d.I (in a square), I/58 (in a square), and underneath "Lieferungs-Beg 1828" but the ink of that line is blurry.

MdI = East German ministry of the interior, so they're police stuff.
When leather Y-straps were replaced with canvas ones in the mid-1960s, existing ones were given to fire departments who'd then modify them for their own specific uses.

Sturm is the most common maker of these in europe. I've had a pair of those too at some point. They're marked MP40 u MP38 on the back strap most of the time, sometimes with TSR as well. It's a very particular look.

Yeah, super early Ministerium des Innern.

Attached: s-l1600 (79).jpg (1600x1200, 157K)

also iirc I/58 would be produced in january 1958

Final picture is a bunch of minor items; they are in the collection mainly to represent what a brotbeutel might contain.

Top left is a nice little German sewing kit; probably postwar and probably civilian. Below is a handful of genuine enough 1, 5 and 10 pfennigs. They are some cheapass zink type, but complete with eagle and swastika. In the middle is a Scho-ka-kola can, sadly empty, and postwar as the center indicates. Top right is an egg container for that relaxed breakfast in the field, and below a very small tin containing the collapsible drinking cup beside it to down your breakfast egg with a shot of vodka. The latter items were afaik never issued, but sold to the officer market probably before, during and after the war. I have a German ad for that stuff somewhere.

Attached: vaguely german.jpg (1149x680, 227K)

January to March 1958. DDR stuff is typically dated by quarter rather than individual month.

Interesting. Thanks for clearing that up.

Those are the ones. What kind of gear were they worn with? Some kind of backpack?

Mostly basic Wehrmacht-style gear.

Attached: vp.jpg (2000x1341, 387K)

Attached: French M26 Adrian Helmet.jpg (1535x1253, 611K)

Attached: Modelo und Gas Maske.jpg (1711x1726, 994K)

Attached: Swiss TAZ 90 Cap Bosnia-Herzegovina Deployment (Lichtenstein Made).jpg (1393x1293, 616K)

Afternoon batch is ready. It's all floatsam and jetsam but hey.

Starting off with a heap of insignia from eastern Europe. The shoulder straps on the left are from Hungary. The elephant one is a drawing I got from a collector buddy a long time ago who liked making these as place fillers. Cheers, wherever you are. There's an eagle which I think is Polish, a tricolor cap badge from Hungary, two cavalry badges and a shoulder shield that probably are western German, two Austrian cap badges, and the rest is all DDR.

Attached: bricabrac.jpg (1489x1266, 421K)

These were sold me as ground finds from Germany. Some safety razors, some whistles, and a clip for Mauser. No markings have survived. I like relics; they have lost their functionality but it is as if they tell stories from a distant time, in a way that stuff that looks newly manufactured and unused cannot.

Attached: german ww2 mix.jpg (2022x1266, 398K)

Two connector straps vital to the use of English P37 equipment. These have been painted, before or after they were acquired by the Norwegian army for MP use. Markings are too blurred to be read.

Attached: brit and norw ww2 pw p37 web straps.jpg (749x526, 122K)

More English P37 gear. A canteen carrier made by MECO in 1942. There are at least four versions of these known from WW2; this later model was a lot easier to access because you could slide the canteen right out for a drink.

Attached: english ww2 p37 canteen cover type 2.jpg (741x708, 120K)

Also this is very faintly blue, even if the picture looks more like khaki, so the users would be RAF ground crews.

A German postwar fuse box. I don't know for what equipment. It's just one big room inside so I suspect there was some kind of cushion with rooms for each type of fuse.

Attached: german pw fuse box.jpg (847x537, 114K)

Pretty, but a bit crude. Hungarian box for I assume medals and such. The lid has hinges but no lock so it is not for keeping in a pocket.

Attached: hungarian pw medal box.jpg (1401x872, 193K)

Mystery ammo pouches made from rubberized fabric. Sturdy and I think Russian, but unmarked. But for what ammo? I see these sold for SKS but they seem really small for that purpose. Lose rounds maybe? I would like to know more.

Attached: mystery ammo pouches.jpg (829x469, 92K)

This is so crude, it's possibly orc made. Even a resistance fighter should be ashamed of having this on his belt. The holster is rougly cut, vaguely in German style, and the 'belt strap' in the back is just two vertical slits cut into the leather with maybe a sharp rock.

Attached: mystery holster field made.jpg (1202x1053, 195K)

I bought these hoping they would be English Army ww2 issue, but neither has any stampings. The one to the left is equally shiny on the inside while the other is strangely rough and might well be closer to ww1.

Attached: mystery soap boxes.jpg (1223x715, 111K)

This is a Norwegian bread bag, from back when the soldier still got half a load delivered into his hand from the field kitchen. White cord so I assume this is postwar.

Attached: norw pw breadbag.jpg (738x807, 138K)

The Norwegian army is the only one on the planet, afaik, that got the idea to paint leather green. It is not a pretty sight. Even less so in this not too matching pair of postwar-made leather mag pouches for Sten and MP40 use.

Attached: norw pw sten mp40 mag pouches type 1.jpg (1622x1040, 327K)

Half his load

Rounding off with a Swedish canteen of WW2 vintage. Such canteens were given to the Norwegian police troops trained in 'secret' in Sweden during the war and this could be one of them.

Attached: swed ww2 canteen 1a.jpg (978x533, 149K)

Spelling mistake for loaf, but I like the way you think.

Haven't posted in a while, got some police shit in recently, nothing special but you guys might appreciate it

I got 3 SAP camouflage shirts dated 1989. First two are standard but the third has an interesting palette

Attached: IMG_20190209_165044.jpg (3120x4160, 3.7M)

Other standard one. These are all for office use AFAIK so they have very thin material

Attached: IMG_20190209_165322.jpg (3120x4160, 2.89M)

This sample has a weird marking though. Normal Swedish army issue usually had the triple crown mark and the secret army got issued lots of old stock, but some items like another canteen I have has the Norwegian State Equipment marking that was only ever used for that secret army. Here there's a third variation and I don't know what it means. M for Mordor?

Attached: swed ww2 canteen 1b.jpg (1183x873, 308K)

This one shows just how much the quality differed back in the day. The picture doesn't really do it justice, it's very blatantly a Grey or light blue background and the brown bits have a lot of red in them

Attached: IMG_20190209_165210.jpg (3120x4160, 2.69M)

Attached: _1018137_2.jpg (2327x2917, 1.28M)

The eagle is West German. They were used on BGS (Bundesgrenzschutz, or Federal Border Guard) caps until the mid-1970s.
Supposedly, operators of the GSG-9, Germany's elite counter-terrorist unit still wear them, albeit on berets.

Attached: BGS.jpg (1500x1321, 313K)

That's cool! I was not aware the eagle was still in use on German caps after ww2.

I'm probably going to trade away my postwar German stuff eventually. My collection scope is now Norwegian gear of all periods + foreign forces that fought in Norway 1940-45 + at least one set of newer US gear and one set of commie gear. There's actually a US Marines unit training in Norway right now, which pisses the far lefties off to no end and put a smile on my face every time I think about that.

>you can copy me, just change it a little bit

I finally got in my german splinter field smock yesterday

Attached: Resized_20190209_092042.jpg (2560x1244, 1.13M)

I am sorry, I don't understand.

Germany using eagles after ww2

BGS had the most "fascist" look of all West German agencies. Their uniform was basically a copy of pre-WW2 Wehrmacht garb, just with an open collar and different insignia.

Attached: Bundis.jpg (1280x780, 380K)

Oh okay, gotcha.

Must have been really weird to sign up for those first postwar German units. Some of them must have come straight from Hitlerjugend - and where did they find officers without Wehrmacht experience? "What do you mean we can't practice with live ammunition?"

Amazing photo. What weapon are those ammo pouches for?

G1 (FN FAL)

Random bumping with a picture from the Norwegian Home Guard. Not a lot of Norwegian military gear can be said to be specific to the Home Guard as they have existed mostly on hand-me-downs from the regular army.

Right after WW2 we got two new, almost separate armies. The regular army was based somewhat on the pre-1940 army, somewhat on the police troops that came from Sweden in 1945 but were immediately disbanded on account of an epidemic of peace, and somewhat on the English army who had been crucial in ponying up the new Norwegian occupation force headed to Germany. The Home Guard was literally rooted in the resistance forces active inside Norway itself during the war, and was in every way a guerilla forces. Its mission was to piss in the eye of the Soviet invasion that could come any day, then run as fuck and piss again from a different angle. The HG had in practice a different political stance from the regular army and competed with the army for the scarce new gear and weapons that had to be gotten from somewhere. It was a very district organized system and it was important that one area was going to fight on even if many other districts fell. It attracted every last redneck in the country and at one point the HG was five times as large as the regular army, even if they were still armed with k98s and MP40s when the regular army was hauling G3s.

So the Home

And I forgot the damn picture.

Attached: 70379[1].jpg (959x665, 104K)

A picture that definitely shows the classic Home Guard spirit. It is a much smaller force these days and much better organized, trained and equipped. It's getting so similar to the regular army that I am not convinced the system will last very much longer, but it's probably political suicide for a while yet to make that happen.

Attached: AR-170819850[1].jpg&ExactW=680&MaxH=680&NCS_modified=.jpg (680x453, 66K)

I just can't get into pics can I. This is what I had in mind.

Attached: hg2.jpg (680x453, 66K)

They fit 3 or 4 10-round SKS strippers clips, these were issued with early post-war Soviet webgear and the fact that these are black might indicate they were for Soviet naval infantry.

Black was the color given to a lot of Soviet naval infantry webgear and backpacks, most notable being the 3-mag AK belt pouches and veshmeshok.

Attached: 35075.jpg (650x650, 80K)

>still armed with k98s and MP40s when the regular army was hauling G3

I'd take a 98 over a G3 any day. The bolt handle is in a sensible place and there's zero doubt whether or not you have to work it after every shot. With a G3, there's a 50% chance that it won't cycle, forcing you to tug on that awkwardly-placed charging handle.

Attached: NICE.jpg (1488x1315, 1.37M)

We had G3s when I was in the service. We used them in -30 and I don't recall us having any particular issues with real ammo. Memory is a fickle bitch, mind you. They wouldn't cycle with the practice ammo of the day unless someone fucked with the barrel end and that truly was a court martial level offence. But as a workhorse it fulfilled its expectations for 40 years. We of course only had H&K rifles.

I have something similar, probably canadian. Picked it up in an antique shop. Found it in a bag full of calvary shit so I figured it might be related to that.

Attached: 20190209_122803.jpg (4032x3024, 3.31M)

That is a BEAUTIFUL English Webley holster. WW1 vintage or earlier.

Well, could be Canadian made to UK spec of course. The one I have is made in the fairly unique German style of an open, unsewed side flap. You see that on P38 holsters in particular.

You're shitting me. for real? I got the thing for like, 10$.

The flashlight is authentic from the US army. Same goes for the radio earphones. They fit well with the helmet.

Attached: IMG-20190205-WA0004.jpg (900x1600, 192K)

Attached: Swedish tunic dye.jpg (2000x717, 747K)

I got curious and went through the entire Bender's "Military holsters of ww2" which also includes a lot of ww1 holsters. Not one of these holsters match your sample. Which likely means it predates ww1. It reminds me both of US and English early revolver holsters but the flap is different and the US used to be quite eager to show the "US" caption loud and clear. Whatever it actually is, it's worth more than you paid for it.

Looks like a nice even dying job. Why did you do it?

Suddenly my find became alot more interesting. Thanks, I only just started looking into militaria. Could you kindly share the link though?

I only have the book in paper. If it is online I do not know where to find it. Sorry.

There's a couple of clues as to why this is a quite old holster. The first is the leather, which is thick and brittle. The second is the brass button; the tarnish doesn't guarantee age but it means real brass was used and it's a long time since that was out of fashion. I'd be going over that holster with a magnifying glass and check for any stampings on leather or metal.

I had some green dye left over from from another project, and a Swedish tunic that I got for a few EUR. Figured I'd give it a go just to see what happens.

No problem, I just like reading.

I took a closer look, but couldn't find any markings at all. Its very worn though, the silhouette of the pistol that used to be inside is noticible, it looks to be about 15cm ~ long.

If it's important I found it in a big bag of calvary related gear.

Attached: 20190209_131924.jpg (4032x3024, 3.71M)

I was playing with the idea once of making a cosplay-level Imperial German set. M1910 feldrock or M1915 bluse. That tunic you colored could in theory work for that. Not enough to fool a collector or historian but among costume freaks it'd be close enough. With a gas mask and spike helmet on they'd get the idea.

Attached: early-war[1].jpg (400x995, 48K)

Currently looking for east german uniforms, but i am a big boi and cant find the ÜG-56 one. Besides that my soviet ww2 machine gunner kit and a soviet sniper kit are almost ready.

Attached: 20190115_113814.jpg (1876x2660, 2.5M)

I wouldn't mind seeing the backside. But I'm pretty sure that's the silhouette of a revolver, not a pistol

I could get my hands on a parade uniform for a lieutenant of the air force. Also comes with a Strichtarn uniform, pants and boots. Plus various documents and medals of the same person.

Attached: DT0_4666.jpg (1460x1950, 581K)

Er, yeah thats what i meant. Im very green
Here you go

Attached: 20190209_134435.jpg (4032x3024, 3.82M)

I've also considered that, but reworking the cuffs and adding extra buttonholes would be a ginormous pain in the ol' backside. Turning a Swedish tunic into an M15 (or a WW2 era Fliegerbluse) is far more feasible.

Bwahaha. Suddenly struck me. Cavalry holster. Brown. Cananda. Maybe this isn't an army holster.

Attached: 44dfbff0-d2ad-11e5-9376-14e6d119c924[1].jpg (516x700, 73K)

Heh, good ol' mounties. I would guess this is NorthWest Mounted Police issue, maybe 1890 of 1900~

Is a Best Korean uniform (jacket, pants, cap) worth spending 210 bucks plus shipping on?

Attached: 1363274876712.jpg (640x479, 168K)

Evening batch is ready. Mostly Russian headgear this time.

Starting out with something different though. These three are excercise explosives. Left one is a cast iron Mills grenade. The middle one came from a seller in Hungary. The right one is Norwegian-made, but I am not convinced it is supposed to be a grenade. Perhaps a mine fuse insert?

Attached: excercise grenades.jpg (1714x1131, 238K)

I got these in a batch of stuff and they are supposedly DDR ones for officers? Color matched but no reference book of mine goes into this level of detail.

Attached: german pw ddr elastics.jpg (799x793, 181K)

All hats from here, and the only non-Russian one. A nice Australian patrol hat (I think that's the word) in a size any pygmy would appreciate.

Attached: australian hat.jpg (759x673, 117K)

Russian Budenovka cap, of a type last seen in action during the Winter War. I wish I could remember why I bought this replica.

Attached: russian REPLICA ww1 budenovka cap.jpg (778x714, 142K)

Lots of dirty round eyes in here....

Attached: 1B847E45-4340-4A52-AA16-D86D770F2B53.jpg (2068x1536, 1015K)

Classic Russian army "pilotka" side cap as seen in every ww2 movie with Russians. This sample is from the less austere 1950s but you wouldn't believe it from the quality of the fabric.

Attached: russian pw army side cap.jpg (638x629, 99K)

More like a dildo.

Attached: _1017611_1.jpg (3024x4032, 2.21M)

The Russian had their own pilotka. This sample has the white NCO piping.

Attached: russian pw navy NCO sidecap .jpg (698x633, 107K)

Russian army officers had visor caps to differentiate them from their equal comrades, the subordinate scum known as the other ranks. I think this cap is for an NCO in a motorized infantry, but I have not looked it up recently.

Attached: russian pw army visor cap.jpg (716x734, 129K)

I can match the paratrooper jumping cap at least. But whose cap badge is the correct one? Both?

Attached: russian pw paratrooper cloth helmet.jpg (678x785, 143K)

Since Russian navy NCOs are superior to their army colleagues, no visor is necessary. Actually I think this cap is sourced to a Naval Academy.

Attached: russian pw navy hat.jpg (772x703, 139K)

This one is tricky. It's definitely a Russian beret, and that looks like a wing, but it isn't a paratrooper one iirc.

Attached: russian pw red beret.jpg (803x681, 127K)

Ossis used traditional button-on suspenders (and later a version with proprietary connecting bits) rather than the clip-on style.

That one's for a conscript in a tank or artillery unit. Infantry caps had red bands to match the piping.

The good old ushanka winter cap was (is?) made in two black versions for the navy; a faux fur version for the underlings and a real ful one for the officerocracy. This is the first type.

Attached: russian pw ushanka faux fur.jpg (826x691, 120K)