What are some design features that make weapons suitable for use in cold or freezing climates...

What are some design features that make weapons suitable for use in cold or freezing climates? I know an enlarged trigger guard helps for gloved use, but what else? Short stocks and more exposed barrels for cooling? I've heard of sight posts being scratched up to reduce glare and I imagine having free floating handguards would be wonderful to keep the barrel cold. What would you consider to be a great weapon designed for cold climates?

Attached: pc110035.jpg (2048x1536, 387K)

>Bears

Attached: DuYpucLWwAExf4_.jpg (1200x800, 151K)

Wood stock and its gotta be a bolt action (Lee Enfield No. 4)

There's a reason why Canadians only just stopped using it.

Ability to be run 100% bone dry.

>weapon must have large or removable trigger guard
>weapon must have capability to run without lubrication or cleaning for an extended period of time
>weapon must be mechanically simple and robust
>shooters body must never have exposure to metal
>weapon's action must be sealed or sealable via dust cover or other means
>weapon must be operable with minimal dexterity
>weapon must be made of like material in critical areas to discourage uneven thermal expansion
about all I can think of atm

tfw you pretty much just described an AK

I unironically think the TAVOR would work well in cold climates, ASSUMING the polymer receiver was formulated right to not get brittle

yes

Attached: bqsfaSH.jpg (1070x714, 90K)

>What are some design features that make weapons suitable for use in cold or freezing climates?
It's an AK. Only idiots use anything else in cold climate.

>I unironically think the TAVOR would work well in cold climates, ASSUMING the polymer receiver was formulated right to not get brittle

Probably would, what with all the heat that thing generates after several magazines.

FNC actually did better in Canada's cold weather tests.

AKs and G3s were both used by multiple countries in or near the arctic circle.

There's a reason the Alaska State Police chose to buy Valmet AKs back in the 80s when they purchased rifles for their rangers.
They did a bunch of testing and discovered that pretty much all other rifles on the US market were complete shit when they got cold.

The valmet is the only rifle to pass the Alaskan State Trooper testing for extreme cold. It was back in 86, but still, impressive.

Used an AK4 (G3) during my conscription. I served in Boden (A9 Artillery) with is above the arctic circle.
Can confirm that G3s run fine in temperatures as low as -32C. They struggle with blanks, but live ammo runs fine.

Ah yes, the AK is easily identifiable with its sealed action and dust cover.

I doubt that. Even Finland didn't adopt it and went with an AK variant.

Canadian here, shot 200 rounds through my vz58 in -50F a few weekends back without issue

>>I unironically think the TAVOR would work well in cold climates, ASSUMING the polymer receiver was formulated right to not get brittle
>Probably would, what with all the heat that thing generates after several magazines.
I fired it in the snow, crawled for a while. Snow went into everything, this stupid kike-gun has countless holes for dirt to fuck it up.

A bolt action wood stock and iron sights will work.

Anyone who has hunted in the arctic can tell you that's not always the case. The fucking things can just freeze shut.

Finland adopted the Rk. 62 before the FNC ever existed, dumbass. And the FNC is literally an AK internally, and doesn't share the asinine gorilla tier design philosophy of the rest of the rifle.

Anyone is telling you, bolt action.

We used the C7 while I was in the CF reserve. Many of the changes that the C7 had in its design were done to improve its function in cold weather. There are also different conditions in which the rifle is stored and maintained while in these climates.

For instance, running the rifle dry is a good choice, but I was often handed a little metal tube of graphite grease which we used on areas where metal slid against metal (can't remember what to call them, bearing surfaces maybe). We would also leave the rifles outside the tent, or in the unheated "mud room" in order to prevent condensation from forming. That way the rifle never gets above ambient temperatures.
Another thing that was common was to clear the weapon and cycle the bolt every 30 minutes to an hour, and then ready iy again. That way if moisture had accumulated it would help prevent seizing of the moving parts.
The material we use in the stock and forend of the rifle is also made out of a plastic which wouldn't break when it's very cold.
I found we never had problems with stoppages as long as we were careful. If one was lazy and didn't wipe off the CLP beforehand, or brought one's rifle inside the tent for the same reason, one could quickly end upi with a rifle basically frozen shut.

I always tried to get on cold weather exercises, I love how it feels to be proficient in staying warm in cold weather, and I enjoy snow, trees, and mountains.

Durin my conscription in the finnish defence forces we had RK62's and RK95's and we wiped our guns with light petrol during very cold situations instead of oil, iirc. and ofc the guns were kept in cold etc etc.

>impressive.

Attached: 1547344084256.jpg (600x393, 69K)

Attached: 1533106793242.jpg (3000x1961, 805K)

If my desert dwelling ass goes into Alaska which guns would be the most reliable? PTR? AR-10? AK?

Attached: Not a good start to the day.jpg (422x750, 31K)

My preference would be PTR but you'd probably be good with any of those. If I brought an AK, I'd want it to be in a larger caliber though.

Attached: PTR_Snow_2.jpg (5312x2988, 3.69M)

Gorgeous PTR user

Thanks.

Attached: witcher snow PTR~01.jpg (2560x1440, 405K)

An M1917

good ol' AK fags never fail.