STAR

Picked up the cheapest gun show souvenir that wasn't a hi point. Are these as crap as their price suggests or are they serviceable? Haven't shot it yet but the barrel is pretty clean.

Attached: IMG_20190214_002654820.jpg (5344x3006, 3.01M)

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?228684-Debugging-tips-for-the-Star-B-and-BM#/topics/228684
youtube.com/watch?v=-_ykSS9kQmw
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You probably overpaid and the one you bought is probably shit.

I love mine, performs flawlessly. Don’t dryfire it you’ll fuck up the firing pin

It was just over $200. Given FFL fees and shipping, I figured it's about what it would cost from classic firearms. Granted the external condition isn't terrific.

They’re reasonably good single stack 9mms for the price. They sometimes have reliability issues (typically bad extraction). I wouldn’t rely on one as a defensive piece unless you’ve shot it enough to work out the kinks. May or may not feed JHP reliably.

Heard a mix about from what Ben has sold

Jesus, you paid $200 for a gun with pitting and finish wear that bad?

Attached: gats.jpg (2048x1152, 220K)

It's an interesting range toy and a soon-to-be C&R piece (these were 70s' era production).

I'd test it extensively with both FMJs and JHPs before I ever consider relying on it for self defense, though. But for $200 it's a great buy.

Remove the magazine safety and the magazines drop free.

They're nice handguns and like most surplus the price is going to double as soon as the supply runs out.

they are shit make sure you only use ball ammo. I had one it wouldn't feed anything but ball.

>dryfiring will fuck up the firing pin
Fuck is that why mine pierces primers every round?

>pierces primers every round
jesus fuck do you still fire it??

>Ben
Sweaty Ben

Where do I get extra magazines, bros?

Attached: 6B036D68-0BC8-42A8-91C7-E9CE195F855F.png (800x534, 148K)

Walmart. Next to the easter eggs

eBay. Got mine for 35$ a mag.

I like mine, but it is picky with ammo. I believe this to be a result of a worn recoil and/or extractor spring. I’ll happily pay the $25 for the springs and shipping and such if it solves the problem of FTEs.

>dry firing will fuck up the firing pin
How? The hammer hits the rounded end and pushes the pin forward against the spring pressure. The pin doesn’t hit anything and is made of steel. It isn’t a rimfire

Attached: 7EB437A8-DB50-43A9-922E-540C6779BC62.jpg (1000x750, 225K)

Snap cap would solve this if it is really a problem

No they are great guns. Very accurate and trigger pull is better than most 1911’s

I recently bought one to match the Super B I inherited from my father. So far it's worked flawlessly with anything I've fed it, granted I've only used FMJ and newer conical JHP's from hornady.
Hasn't malfunctioned once. For $200 it was a great deal, just hard to find mags for, but you can mod P225 mags I think.

Attached: IMG_20190214_155952963.jpg (3120x4160, 3.63M)

FWIW mine still has the mag safety and mags drop free. So either I'm lucky or the complete teardown and clean I did fixed it.

Make sure you remove the mag disconnect safety

if you dont pay the hand select he tosses it down some concrete stairs and then sweats all over it

Yes it still works 100% lel it’s only on shit Tula steel case which has hard primers. I think that’s part of the problem

So it’s basically like every other 1911

STARS

Attached: Nemesis_Apocalypse.jpg (941x792, 315K)

I've heard you can mod a p225 mag to work

Attached: P_20190209_193122_vHDR_On.jpg (2079x3697, 813K)

Star BM is a nice gun, but I wouldn't carry one.

This is true. Promags work with just a slight opening up of the mag catch hole.

Yours looks worse than his and $200 is fine, what are you mad about?

Because it's brittle and old.

They're all around $45 to $50 right now.

Maybe I should just buy the $150 star BM on JG right now instead.

Attached: 1407275355891.jpg (558x640, 35K)

>picky with ammo
I wonder if that's why my Super B FTEs so regularly. Any recommendations?

Yeah I'd say thats your best bet. I bought the $190 one on CF and it was pretty fucked. It worked but the bluing was really bad and the pitting was terrible so I stripped and polished.
If I knew it was going to be that fucked I wouldve bought the $150 one and refinished that.

Attached: download.jpg (1080x1920, 981K)

Well I already own one, it's got a good amount of holster wear but it's super accurate and never FTEs.

What I'm saying is if I'm gonna pay $50 for a fucking magazine I might as well get a gun for $150 and a magazine with it.

Muh Star

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 2.95M)

should've gotten a hipoint senpai

I find that Remington UMC 115gr FMJ is the most reliable, but I don’t have much experience with steel or aluminum case ammunition.

Not going to lie, this is part of what I like about star BMs.

Dollar for dollar I’d rather have the STAR

>all these 9mm babies
Here’s a real man’s Star

Attached: DA94DBE4-B0B3-484A-BDE2-3AC218C51029.jpg (4032x3024, 3.51M)

I just got one from J&G for $150 and I really like it, even if it's not reliable enough to be more than a range toy.

The slide keeps locking every 2 or 3 rounds and I'll get FTEs every 30 rounds or so. Any ideas what might be causing the slide lock?

Attached: image.jpg (3024x3024, 1.64M)

Try different ammo, mine is picky like that. See . I think it’s due to weak recoil and/or extractor springs.

Star BM $220

Attached: 8C057398-E529-457A-A28B-D731EF6C2AB2.jpg (2499x2793, 1.9M)

Fucking fantastic firearms for the price. Love mine but read my following replies to some of the other anons for a bit of advice
Please keep in mind that these guns were designed to shoot STEEL CASED AMMO ONLY. They might function with brass cased ammunition but will always function more reliably with steel cased only. Yes they are old guns and yes parts may be worn or broken on them causing feeding or extraction issues but if you are using brass cased ammunition that is more likely the cause of the issues. Only use steel cased ammunition for these guns.

wew lad, my lucky day. I just bought 1000 Wolf Steel cased 9mm for this bad boy. Can't wait to see how it performs

Best of luck user

>designed to shoot STEEL CASED AMMO ONLY
When they were designed steel case ammo was not common at all, it wasn't in real production until WW2.

Oh your the user with the super B huh. Yeah sorry about that one. You might actually have a worn extractor or something. Star BMs were designed to fire steel cased but the super A and super B i have no idea.

Even the BM is not designed specifically for steel case. Except for a few pistols with fluted chamber delayed blowback there is no functional difference between brass or steel case.

Springs and other components wear and need to be replaced. This is simply normal maintenance that fixes 90% of problems and should be done for every surplus pistol.

Yes, they were designed for steel cased ammo. forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?228684-Debugging-tips-for-the-Star-B-and-BM#/topics/228684
>there is no functional difference between brass or steel case
So thats why theres so much brass cased 5.45 on the market, right? Oh yeah the ak74 wont feed brass cased 5.45. Because steel and brass expand differently.

Forgot pic

Attached: 7532CDBB-8A11-41C0-8011-17FD342D9CBB.png (750x1334, 257K)

So your source is forums posts? Sounds legit.
No brass 5.45 would be down to market forces, not engineering. Why buy the more expensive brass when cheap steel is shit out by Russian arsenals. Brass was simply too expensive in comparison so was dropped by the companies making it.

Dude holy fuck. If you want to be retard be my fucking guest. The star BM was designed to shoot steel cased. One of the simplest debugging methods is to switch from brass cased to steel cased for the gun.

Also, since you are too fucking braindead to actually read the forum post, he provides sources and is dedicated to the research of these firearms, unlike some random retard on Jow Forums.

Attached: 58D8C677-FF9A-417C-AE11-057FCE67CF9A.png (750x1334, 264K)

>phoneposting tripfag cites one basement ridden boomer's post on an obscure forum so it must be fact
Holy. Fuck. This is like the white whale of worthless nothingburger shitposts.

Attached: 1364681935090.jpg (323x323, 72K)

Like i said if you want to be a fucking retard with a nonfunctioning gun, be my guest.

He actually is talking about the B model there if you read it. His supporting info is also wrong.

Please point out in the manual or any other MANUFACTURER's document where it specifies steel case. Since the Spanish Civil Guard use brass cased ammo it seems pretty fucking unlikely their service pistol would be designed to use a different ammo than what is supplied.

Says right there the same thing applies to both the B and BM. Good fucking luck finding manufacturers documents about the BM considering star has been out of business for a while. Proof the spanish civil guard uses brass cased and used brass cased ammo in the 70’s? Or are your claims unvalidated

Attached: 42F63F58-2E9F-426B-8928-97FF1C8DACBE.jpg (750x1334, 230K)

Also unless you speak spanish you wont understand it

Interesting, I have noticed that it runs better with steel case.
I’m the user who posted
I took it out today and I found out that the slide lock only happens during rapid fire. It functions fine with slow fire...so does that mean it’s a recoil spring issue?

The fact the Spanish weren't known to have made or issued steel case 9mm? The Francoist gov. was also not likely to buy ammunition from a foreign country like France.
Rather than believing fuddlore you should sit down and do some real research.

Rather then believing a random 4channer i would ask that you post some actual resources. How do you know the spanish never made steel cased 9mm?

Some people have luck with the brass cased ammo, a lot do not have luck with it. As for the slide locking back, i have no idea about that. Maybe try a different mag?

If they did it sure didn't find it's way into the wild and onto the collector's market. Even the experimental German rounds from 1917 can be found for sale.
Lewis Curtis in the IAA did a writeup and lists the known producers of steel case 9mm. Spain is not in the list.

Well, they COULD have bought from another country. Which would explain both why they are not a known producer and why none has ever entered the surplus market. Rather, the spanish civil guard COULD have used brass cased ammunition in the Star BMs. Its not like a major armed force has never used the wrong ammunition for their firearms before.

A fascist government with domestic arms production buying either old surplus from an enemy or new production from communists. Then re-designing their service pistol to use that ammo?
I think you're grasping at straws here.
Even the Germans in WW2 did not redesign guns to work with steel case, they specified the steel case had to work in guns. (For the most part. Lugers needed a new chamber design but they were using a non standard chamber to start.)

The Civil guard and the Spanish army shares the same ammo in 1970, in fact they do nowadays cause the Civil guard is in theory part of the army The national factory of Santa Barbara made the ammo and all the 9mm made at that time was brass

Attached: 46320555.jpg (720x540, 50K)

I only got the one mag, tripfag

thats a namefag

I've got a Star BM. Mine is from 1976. Pretty good pistol for what it is. Mine has a few issues with the magazine (it only shipped with one) but they aren't that huge of a deal. I also removed the magazine safety but mine still refuses to drop free. Waiting to test it with another magazine. It's been 100% reliable for me though.

youtube.com/watch?v=-_ykSS9kQmw outcome of this video a good expectation?

This one is mine very fun to shoot.

Attached: 20180801_182937.jpg (2642x1960, 3.31M)

I want a B (or P), but all I ever see online are BMs.

Star firestar. 9mm
Also anons, where can I get mags for a firestar?

Attached: received_316290665865950.jpg (720x960, 47K)

Where is everyone getting these wood grips for their BMs?

thats a firestar plus nigga, pretty sick.

google it nigger

f

J&G

Mine feeds HST just fine
mine just has finger prints on it from handling

Is "Spanish steel" still a meme?

Jesus are you all retards? When these first got popular again they were $20-25 a mag. That wasn't even six months ago.