Is 115gr an adequate weight for a carry/self-defense JHP? Or did I fudge up by not going 124

Is 115gr an adequate weight for a carry/self-defense JHP? Or did I fudge up by not going 124.

Attached: A1EEBA2D-5BE3-48D9-B6B4-84FC44EFDFFE.jpg (555x555, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i
youtu.be/-lGqdMdbir0
youtu.be/oM5Am6rIu-s
le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx
underwoodammo.com/products/9mm-luger-p-65-grain-xtreme-defender
luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm
luckygunner.com/9mm-115-grain-jhp-speer-gold-dot-20-round#geltest
youtu.be/TMiI8VcPQ3c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

think of it this way: there are plenty of guys that carry 380s, and youre arguably already better off than they are.

Attached: 1480556571053.jpg (400x400, 110K)

Check it out user Speer Golddot 115+p+ are coming in at avg 1370 FPS, that comes out to something like 470 ft/lb and the it's EXTREMELY manageable and easy to shoot. Check out Paul Harrels recent video testing 9mm. The 115s did extremely well in Chrono and meat target, granted they were +p+. I'm not a fan of the heavier 147 gr that everyone is moving towards, I used to carry 147 Ranger Ts/HSTs but I've moved back to the OG 115. I'd say they're plenty good

Also to add to this I have the 124s GDs loaded up right now and come the 1st I'm going back to 115

It tends to have more variable performance than 124gr or 147, but they still poke holes in things. Just more likely to under penetrate than the latyer two. You kinda goofed, shoot em up and replace them with some 124gr +p gold dots or 147gr HSTs

Thanks man I’ll check out his video

basically prepare to get anally raped when your attacker has 9mm bounce off him. those 5 grains would have made a massive difference

Will confirm, 147 is the better choice because mass matters. I am looking forward to those 185 grain chonkers that are coming out soon

The 115s in Harrels meat target expanded perfectly and still manage to catch a few layers of fleece. Granted it's ancidotal, you get a light bullet moving fast enough, it can be relatively effective.

124 is marginally better. It's not like the guy is going to shrug off 115 it will definitely get the job done. The parsing between 115 and 124 is really just a matter of optimization rather than what will actually handle whatever situation will arise.

Federal HST 124gr test the best in gel and denim covered gel.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgNSGOEQko_M90AMdRCDMgd-w4Yozc27i
youtu.be/-lGqdMdbir0

Attached: Screenshot_20190216-231947_YouTube.jpg (2960x1440, 519K)

That ruins the point of 9mm. You'll be able to jump out of the fuckin way of that thing. You are want heavy, switch calibers so at least it's pushing a decent velocity. Even 147 grains aren't breaking 1000 for, great to suppressed yes, but you also start to risk then not expanding because they're chugging along. It's all prefence I know, I used to carry 147s and they start to feel closer to .40 range with the muzzle flip. The light stuff you can magdump and stay on target
youtu.be/oM5Am6rIu-s

Sorry about the horrific English I'm phone posting btw

I carry the Speer Gold Dot 147 grain HP's, but i'm willing to bet that the 115 grain HP's can still get the job done. I can say that, whether you're carrying 115, 124, or 147 grain HP's, you're infinitely better off than someone who doesn't carry at all.

Go to bed boomer grandpa

I should add that he is testing everything out of a 3" barrel in this playlist, so some of the heavier loads suffer poor expansion.

Eh, im more inclined to trust the opinions of ballistics experts and OIS results than pauls meat target results, but thats just me. Also theres a bit of difference between OPs 115 standard pressure load and a +p+ loading like underwoods or even the fairly venerable and street tested 115gr illinois state police load(9BPLE).
124gr and 124gr +p, from what ive seen, tend to out perform the 147 standard pressure from short barrels. Not enough velocity to insure reliable performance in some loads.

Some of the 147s did horrible in the target. Yah I know it's not an actual human, it's cold, etc....but ballsitic gel itself is just a test median as well. The meat target just shows how they impact on bone/meat etc and how much they can under or over penetrate. I used to carry 14 7 Ranger Ts, a highly praised round that does great in gel but performed poorly in the meat target. The GD 115+p+ look to be coming in hotter than 9BPLE and Underwood. 9BPLE doesn't ever seem to do well with gel either, but cruising random forums/comments cops that used them in the field said they stopped threats fine. Me personally I just started to dislike the heavier 147, too slow, too much spice on the muzzle for quick/accurate follow-ups

What do y'all think of these? I read about them in some gun magazine at work. The author spoke highly of their quality control.

Attached: Sig-Sauer-365-9mm-115gr-Elite-V-Crown-JHP-Ammunition_--20rds---E9MMA1-365-20.jpg (370x370, 30K)

Compare the two cartridges here
le.vistaoutdoor.com/wound_ballistics/load_comparison/load_comparison.aspx
Then make your own decision
Don’t listen to the fags on /k

Attached: 419FD3F9-4E73-4A50-A669-9909DAFA0A31.jpg (1140x484, 410K)

Eh, id agree if the 147s had a similar reputation in real shootings, but they have lots of good real world results and are very popular with LEAs these days(much more so than 115s). Particularly out on the west coast theyre used by some major LEAs like LAPD, SFPD, and Portlands PD to name a few off the top of my head. 9BPLE had a good reputation for its time but hardly a stellar one with variability of performance and post barrier performance being less than ideal, which is why they arent really used by much of anyone these days. When meat target results, or gel for that matter, and street results vary a lot i tend to trust street results more, but you do you.

IMO they arent bad but they dont really stand out compared to more established loads in terms of bullet performance. I have anecdotally heard that they handle extreme cold particularly well though.

Thank for sharing this

I watched a video on the chopping block and the round expanded and didn't lose any mass, so I bought a box. I'm looking at videos of the Ruger arx rounds now. Looks retarded.

OP I carry the 124gr JHP +P gold dots. I'd trust my life with them, and figure the extra 9 grains cant hurt. Just bought a 84fs for backup .380 and bought the 90gr gold dots for that as well. HST is another good choice but it is all subjective. Anything you choose will be more than fine if you have to use them. Pic related on the 9mm and .380 gold dots.

Attached: 11663.jpg (1080x2220, 1.22M)

If I was a police I'd probably want 147 or possibly .40 mainly for autoglass, cars and such. Then again all Gold Dots are bonded as well. I wasn't aware all the cops out west were rocking 147 I know NYPD uses 124 GD, all the cops here where I live in the south east still mostly use .40

God damnit kids, just buy fuckin 124 +Ps and call it a day. Jesus christ.

Yup, NYPD and CPD(chicago) have used the 124gr +p GDs with great results. Handles auto barriers very well.

Damn that site how great how have I never seen it before

40 180GR Winchester PDX are satan load.

What I used to carry in the USP. Miss that fucker

115 is way too heavy.
underwoodammo.com/products/9mm-luger-p-65-grain-xtreme-defender

Attached: _20190216_214657.jpg (720x795, 92K)

>mass matters
Sure if you can hit them. But a 147gr will be going so slow the bad guy will just dodge it.

It depends on your barrel. You want as much mass as you can while still being able to accelerate it to the point it will reliably expand after penetrating through clothing.

I use lighter projectiles in my shorter barrel guns and heavier projectiles in my longer barrel guns.

All 9mm hollowpoints perform about the same. Just get something that's reliable and cheap enough to practice with occasionally

That's 15 grains too heavy and 200fps too slow.

Does any auto manufacterer actually post bullet performance after hitting angled autoglass? I have no idea what path a bullet will take after passing through a windshield.

Depends if you're shooting from inside or outside.

luckygunner.com/labs/self-defense-ammo-ballistic-tests/#9mm

luckygunner.com/9mm-115-grain-jhp-speer-gold-dot-20-round#geltest

You're good.

Speed equals expansion, so yes but 124+p is better even if you lose a couple fps

Federal used to have this big comprehensive charts for HST lemme see it I can find it. Doesn't mention angled auto Glass, but rather the expansion/depth HST performed thru various barriers. My fomer cop friend told me depending on which side of the glass you're shooting through effects trajectory as well, high or low

I really dig the ultra light, hyper Sonic trend

Attached: Federal-Premium-Tactical-HST-Ammo-Comparison.jpg (2199x1759, 531K)

Rule of thumb is reverse of the rake(angle) of the glass, although it isnt a guarantee. Fired from inside a vehicle that means bullets tend to go up, outside means bullets go down.

>Does any auto manufacterer actually post bullet performance after hitting angled autoglass?
The FBI tests for performance after penetrating autoglass, so there is data out there. JHPs tend to not expand after passing through glass, as the glass crushes the nose of the bullet.

>I have no idea what path a bullet will take after passing through a windshield.
The opposite of the angle of the glass.

See, when going though glass at an angle, one side of the bullet hits the glass, and slows down, before the other. So if you're shooting through the windshield from inside the car, the top of the bullet hits the glass first, and the trajectory shifts upward. From outside, the bottom of the bullet hits first, and the trajectory shits downward.

Is there any incidental statistics on shooting with hp rds?
Afaik the stats seem to be in agreement that all ball pistol rounds basically suck for taking down people

all killers,thieves,and rapists are high pain tolerance psychopaths who wont even flinch when shot with 9mm

If you are unsure of what you need then just go 124gr. Can't go wrong.

Use 90 grain extreme defenders if you like light and fast bullets.
Use 147 grain Underwood

youtu.be/TMiI8VcPQ3c

Attached: 1550415369174.jpg (348x256, 29K)