Early PTSD

We hear so much nowadays about combat veterans coping with PTSD. This really came into the light with the 'shellshocked' soldiers of the first world war. We never hear anything about earlier cases though. Did civil war veterans have PTSD? Did medieval knights? Conjecture welcomed, historical accounts even more appreciated
>Pic semi related

Attached: Early-Medieval-Polish-Knights.png (610x450, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25577928
youtube.com/watch?v=s-O1wEiNN_E
youtube.com/watch?v=GAr9Ef9Aiz0
m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I'm sure they did, but the psyche of the mind probably wasn't studdied as in depth back then and people probably thought they were just driven crazy.

They did but it was taboo, life was harder so the whole attitude was "way she fuckin' goes boys". I've read several accounts of WWI boys going bonkers on the reg that were written by their wives and whatnot. So you either limited your outbursts or got sent to the sanitarium to be hopped up on tranquilizer for the rest of your days.

Shameless self bump

Attached: image-20160713-12383-fygvoa.jpg (926x607, 129K)

Do you think they managed to cope with it better by justifying their violent actions? Considering their battles 'righteous' or what not?

Civil war vets had massive morphine adictions and alcoholism. Many went off into the wilderness and lived as hermits. So yes I am sure they did, they just didn't know what it was.

>This paper describes much earlier accounts of post combat disorders that were recorded as occurring in Mesopotamia (present day Iraq) during the Assyrian dynasty (1300-609 BC). The descriptions in this paper include many symptoms of what we would now identify in current diagnostic classification systems as post-traumatic stress disorders; including flashbacks, sleep disturbance and low mood.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25577928

Yeah, back in the Civil War it was called "soldier's heart."

It's all about mind games. If you truly believe you were right and you have no one questioning you then were you wrong? 99% of psych classes can be summed up to mind over matter.

This is as good a place as any to post my paragraph on operation desert rock and PTSD.

Also, it's really hard to appreciate the scale of destruction just from photos, but try and visualise just how big that mushroom cloud is.

"Have you ever stopped and considered how demoralizing it must be to see a nuclear blast in the flesh?

Here's an excerpt from a 1958 US Army training film that really made me think about it,

"Many will show varying degrees of non effectiveness, this will be due to the emotional impact of being exposed to massive physical destruction"
-LINK HERE youtube.com/watch?v=s-O1wEiNN_E

Film was released 1 year after Operation Desert Rock concluded in 1957, Where they exposed soldiers to nuclear blasts
-LINK HERE youtube.com/watch?v=GAr9Ef9Aiz0

Imagine what it must feel like being one of the soldiers at Operation Desert Rock, seeing a nuclear detonation for the first time, Psychologically speaking, What must be going through their heads? It must be instant existential crisis right?

I wonder how many soldiers simply weren't the same afterwards, how many simply stopped functioning, stopped taking orders, stopped responding.

I wish I could interview some of them, I'd love to see a psychological study on people that have seen nuclear detonations ... It's all so interesting."

Attached: atomic_bomb-wallpaper-1440x900.jpg (1440x900, 231K)

yes. there's a strong cultural component.

Pic related is an excerpt from the writings of a 14th century French Knight named Geoffroi de Charny. PTSD in a nutshell

Attached: Screenshot_20190217-124041~2.png (720x900, 110K)

Yeah they had it.
There's some interesting Civil War accounts about how some never regained their previous state of mind, couldn't stand living close to cities where there was so much noise, or certain military related stuff would get their heart pounding to a terrific amount.
I think there's also some mentions of how some ancient Roman soldiers would curl up at the sound of thrashing and banging metal.

Sad stuff.
Especially sad for them because there was no way of treating it or even discussing it because they didn't' know what "it" was.

Attached: confederate-states-of-america-painting.jpg (3298x2129, 1.17M)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=k4Pd527GN48

Vid related has some eerie footage of shellshock victims from before we fully understood PTSD. It's also just a cool video in general

A distinction needs to be made between the psychological effects of sustained helplessness (the bulk of PTSD), other PTSD effects, and physical blast trauma to the brain.

Blast trauma as in a concussion?

Here are a series of historical excerpts regarding Romans and Greeks

>According to Herodotus, in 480 B.C., at the Battle of Thermopylae, where King Leonidas and 300 Spartans took on Xerxes I and 100,000-150,000 Persian troops, two of the Spartan soldiers, Aristodemos and another named Eurytos, reported that they were suffering from an “acute inflammation of the eyes,”...Labeled tresantes, meaning “trembler,”...

>During the Roman siege of Syracuse in 211 B.C., a number of Greek soldiers defending the city were “stricken dumb with terror,” according to Greek historian Plutarch. Surdomutism, which is now recognized as a common conversion reaction to the stress of combat, was first clinically diagnosed during the Russo-Japanese War of 1905.

>According to Peter Connolly, the Greek military historian Polybius wrote that as early as 168 B.C., the Roman army was quite familiar with soldiers who deliberately injured themselves in order to avoid combat.

Attached: battle-of-the-teutoberg-forest-56a61c273df78cf7728b63b6.jpg (768x503, 77K)

Not even a single piece of CBRN gear. Fucking unreal

Attached: 1544128087291.webm (1280x720, 2.38M)

>Did civil war veterans have PTSD?
Yeah, it was called soldier's heart.

The reason that PTSD is so well known these days (other than because we have psychology now) is because PTSD is about loss of control. In pre-firearms times, a soldier stood shoulder to shoulder with his bros and controlled his own fate in battle and had almost no chance of dying unless his side broke and routed.
After the invention of guns and artillery, soldiers suddenly had almost no control over whether their they or their friends died when they were out on the front lines and people started to crack under the pressure of worrying about the artillery round with your name on it or seeing your friend's head suddenly explode from a sniper's shot.
Then guerilla warfare and insurgencies came along and soldiers started to feel that they were never safe 24/7 and could die or be horribly mutilated at any moment from any direction and everything went to shit.

Attached: IMP_AP-mine.jpg (1524x1012, 653K)

Well they obviously weren't americans so they were fine. Hardy european stock doesn't suffer from such nonsense.

>Muh amerimutt meme
Please let's not shit up this thread

Yes, although TBI from explosives is different than concussions from impact.

In WW1, the Brits thought "shell shock" from mass use of relatively new high explosives was actually all psychological PTSD (since they knew that existed).

While doctors figured it out by WW2, actual MRI-level high res images proving it weren't developed until midway through the US's Iraq invasion.

TBI from explosive shock generates microtears throughout brain structure, not unlike like the temporary cavity of a high-velocity rifle round on inelastic tissue.

Yeah, it's kinda nice to actually see what's trying to kill you.

There was a picture of a newspaper clipping I've seen floating around here about a Civil War vet who calls the soldiers returning from WW1 soft fucking pussies for getting rehabilitated. He goes on to explain that in his day, nobody got R&R, no women wanted to dance with them, they all just demobilized and went back to the farms and carried on with their lives.
It's pretty wild to apply either of those to today's standards, or even WW2 and Vietnam. Especially with what we know now

I'll concede that death lurking hidden around every corner, and every bump in the road, and every dot in the sky, but seeing gore, seeing your friends die around you, and having people running up and trying to kill you must also be very traumatizing. None of that requires modern weaponry

I find it kinda funny to imagine veterans of every major war in human history thinking the veterans of the war to come directly after as pussies. One big long millennia old Daisy chain of calling people pussies

Anatomy isn't my strong suit; How does the microtear damage from TBI compare to whatever form of damage a concussion causes?

typical concussion is bruising on interior contact surfaces. typical blast injuries are striated shear lines through the brain.

imagine a block of cheese. concussion is throwing on the ground. blast is chopping it up and sticking it back together so the lines are invisible.

Artillery back during WW1 and beyond must have been a load of fun...

Attached: 061.jpg (1426x1074, 292K)

>but seeing gore, seeing your friends die around you, and having people running up and trying to kill you must also be very traumatizing.
Historical hand to hand combat really wasn't like that at all though.
99.9% of historical battles were two groups of guys who couldn't see shit trying to poke each other with spears while staying out of range of the enemy's spears. The likelyhood of even getting wounded was quite low, especially if you were a professional soldier and could afford good gear.
The most scary thing you would see on the battlefield would be cavalry charging you and that wasn't a sustain trauma unless you broke an had to roll the dice and hope that it was the guy beside you who got rode down and speared in the back instead of you.
If historical battles were all Hollywood style meat grinders with non-stop spraying intestines and guys going down left and right beside you, then people wouldn't have been so eager to go around invading each other.

Americans are the result of combined and tempered European DNA, removing all the weakness and enhancing the strengths. We have conquered the world, no other nation has, or will ever have the power and influence America has. We have even planted our feet and flag on a different planetary body, we've sent a man-made object OUTSIDE OF THE SOLAR SYSTEM.

We have not only lived with, but THRIVED for 200+ years with a sizeable portion of the population being worthless sub-80 IQ niggers, while you have only recently begun to enjoy the fruits of their "culture".

tl;dr FUCK YOU EUROPEON.

Feelsbad. How close to an explosion do you have to be for this to occur? I would've thought that if you were close enough for it to tear up your brain you'd be dead anyways

PTSD still occurred. Refer to And

On the outskirts. Imagine a block of jello. if you shake it hard it comes apart. if you shake it not so hard, it might tear but still hold together.

The human body is surprisingly tough.

As technology has improved, the tempo of warfare has increased.
In the Roman era, a soldier might experience 20 days of battle time over his whole career, spaced out with long gaps between them.
As horses and cavalry came along, the number of battles increased. By the napoleonic era, it's probably up to about 60 days of battle, including skirmishes.
Now, a soldier deploying to a highly kinetic area like Helmand in 2006 can expect 60 battle days in the first three months.

PTSD isn't even real, same with anxiety and non clinical depression
Some people are just born weak special snowflakes, you really expect a diagnosis for being weak of will and lacking character? Its ridiculous

i work with an asshole that claims PTSD and he washed out of basic training.
PTSD is for people that either got caught doing something they shouldn't have, or are trying to ride a gravy train.
it didnt happen in older times because men weren't giant pussies back then

Is there any type of ballistic gear that mitigates this effect?

Anyway the point I was going to make but didn't is that PTSD comes about more frequently now because the soldier is subjected to stress for long periods with little or no revoery time.
In roman times your first battle would be traumatic, but you'd have time afterward to process what had happened and heal.

well-shaped helmets and padding can take the edge off, but there's not really anything that can be done. helmet design is only relevant because a shitty design can actually reflect/focus waves to make things worse.

I blame your mindset on all the people who use it as an excuse to get out of crimes they commit.
>He beat his kids because he has PTSD.
>He murdered his wife because he has PTSD.
>He robbed that store because he has PTSD.
Only for us to find out that he never once fired his rifle or saw combat.
Makes it so much goddamn harder to treat those who actually develop it.

A good analogy for it is the behavior of abused dogs.
Ears down, tail curled up, and generally quite meek, although they may snap at you with a cry if you surprise them.
It exists.

People defiantly did get ptsd and such but I think it was probably less common in the past. Remember that war in medieval cultures was viewed as glorious and to enjoy it was normal since people were far more desensitised to death back when there was a far higher mortality rate. In the same way the public would watch executions for entertainment people fighting in battles weren't as bothered by death as they had grown up surrounded by it and probably seen many people die in their lifetime. Compare that to today where most people in civilian life don't see anybody die, or if they do it would be an old relative or the like.

I know it's bait but I'll bite
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audie_Murphy

>The Germans scored a direct hit on an M10 tank destroyer, setting it alight, forcing the crew to abandon it.[69] Murphy ordered his men to retreat to positions in the woods, remaining alone at his post, shooting his M1 carbine and directing artillery fire via his field radio while the Germans aimed fire directly at his position.[70] Murphy mounted the abandoned, burning tank destroyer and began firing its .50 caliber machine gun at the advancing Germans, killing a squad crawling through a ditch towards him.[71] For an hour, Murphy stood on the flaming tank destroyer returning German fire from foot soldiers and advancing tanks, killing or wounding 50 Germans. He sustained a leg wound during his stand, and stopped only after he ran out of ammunition. Murphy rejoined his men, disregarding his own injury, and led them back to repel the Germans. He insisted on remaining with his men while his wounds were treated.

>Since his military service, Murphy had been plagued with insomnia and bouts of depression, and he slept with a loaded pistol under his pillow.[92][93] A post-service medical examination on 17 June 1947 revealed symptoms of headaches, vomiting, and nightmares about the war. His medical records indicated that he took sleeping pills to help prevent nightmares

Doesn't sound very weak willed to me, faggot

Wrong. Read earlier posts in the thread faggot

Three million shells in five hours for the beginning of Operation Michael. Three. Million. Shells. We haven't seen anything like it and I pray we never have to again.

>What must have gone through their head
>Besides heaps of Neutrons and Gamma radiation

Waters are definitely muddied there by radiation caused pathologies.

they lived in a harsher world
and also had a much easier outlet for frustrations

Operation Michael was over a huge area though. The battle for berlin had more shells landing per minute in a smaller area.

>According to Cornelius Ryan’s book “The last battle”, Soviet guns were lined up for mile after mile and stepped back caliber by caliber. The mortars were in front. Behind them were tanks, their long main guns elevated. Next came self-propelled guns and, following these, batteries of light and heavy artillery. Along the rear were 400 Katyusha multiple-rocket launchers. In all, over 20,000 guns took part in this bombardment.

>At exactly 3 AM on the 16th of April 1945, three green flares soared into the sky and the huge collection of guns roared into life. In merely 35 minutes, half a million shells of all types and calibers were let loose. Many soldiers on both sides were battle-hardened veterans of the Eastern front, yet even they didn’t expect the true intensity of this barrage.

That's 167 shells a second. Source?

Attached: e02e5ffb5f980cd8262cf7f0ae00a4a9_press-x-to-doubt-memes-memesuper-la-noire-doubt-meme_419-238.jpg (800x450, 28K)

Sometimes I wish we'd have that again to remind the current generation of just how bad it can get, that our petty grievances over inane shit is nothing.

earlier posts just say ptsd is everyday ill-at-ease. but hey i guess when you're part of the victim generation, you look for it everywhere

Nevermind just looked it up. Damn, 3.5million shells. Mind you it was over 400km2

Refer to and

Wouldn't this lower intelligence or at least stunt brain development in children? Is this why shitskins from war torn countries are usually stupid?

Not the TBI user but they are just retarded from a mix of lesser genetic capability mixed with immense amounts of first-cousin inbreeding

not really. explosions aren't that common. while TBI can theoretically impact IQ that's of negligible frequency compared to module-specific traits like memory loss or impulse control.
shitskins are dumb because of high disease loads in tropical climes prioritizing breeding over IQ in the ancestral environment, coupled with poor nutrition today.

this except unironically

This is a wonderful link, thank you.