Golden Boys for Hunting

My father gifted me a Henry Golden Boy .44 magnum for Christmas a couple of years ago. I like to hunt, but I primarily use a bow because the state I live in (Ohio) didn't allow you to hunt with rifles. Well they recently changed the law to allow for hunting with rifles that use straight walled cartridges, meaning I could use the Henry.

Because it's a gift from my dad I'm worried about taking the gun into the woods and fucking it up, I'm not sure how resistant to wear and visible corrosion these things are. Should I just buy a Marlin or something and use the Henry for target shooting, or do the Golden Boys make good hinting rifles?

Attached: 641605_ts.jpg (385x385, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gmriflebarrel.com/rx44m-27-44-cal-1-20-od-4140cm-1-20-turned-bbl-blank/
winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1892/model-1892-current-products/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fuck sentimentality. take it out and use it like your old man wanted you to.

This. If any thing, using it would bring more sentiment value to you. As for rust and all that shit, learn to take care of your shit.

I fucking hate these comments. Proper gun maintenance is implied, but some guns hold up to the elements better. Like if I breathe on an 870 and don't rub it down with oil it'll pit.

Just FYI OP, that’s not a Henry golden boy. That’s a Henry Big Boy with brass receiver. The golden boy designation is for the brass rimfire rifles.

But yea, I have one and the bluing is very deep, and the brass finish can be polished. Other than scratches, with proper maintenance it’s good to go as much as it can be.

Yeah, just realized I misgendered it, good thing I'm not Canadian.

I read somewhere that the receiver isn't actually brass but some kind of brass coating and if you try to polish it it'll come off? I rubbed mine with a microfiber cloth because the receiver had some kind of fogging on it and that cleared the fogging up. Then I noticed the receiver had some very fine hairline scratches on it, I hope those are just from it's existence and not because I wiped it too hard.

K, but you didn’t misgender the gun, you misidentified the gun.

Yea it’s steel receiver with a brass finish. Brass receiver could not hold up to modern pressures. I have polished my receiver band, and end plate with brass polish with no issues.

>brass frame
>corrosion
literally just polish it
Do you also realize bluing exists for the purpose of rust resistance?
retard detected

Pardon me, didn't mean to trigger you.

>loading gateless cast receiver POS

What?

Attached: 1503684304638.gif (320x240, 48K)

>hey recently changed the law to allow for hunting with rifles that use straight walled cartridges,
>can hunt with 45-70
>can hunt with .38sp
>can't hunt with .308
Buckeyes are probably the most retarded of all

The occasional hunting trip isn’t going to do it any harm.
Clean it and oil it and it will be fine.

perhaps they don't want joe retard missing a dur and hitting a house half a mile away because the state is flat as your mothers tits, so instead they opt to use shit the drops like a rock

It's because the western part of the state is totally flat.

Same thing in Iowa. What lever in what cartridge should I get? Im thinking 357, 44, or 45-70 since I assumed those are the most common and cheap straight walls. Is 45-70 overkill?

If you're that worried about rust, can't spend several mins of doing proper maintenance, get a dif gun. Chances are you'll be to much of a bitch to use that one too, cause it'll still require maintenance.

see
Stop being a faggot.

Attached: 1549413171014.jpg (293x326, 15K)

Can you please measure the outer diameter of the barrel at the muzzle? I need to figure out the minimum safe wall thickness for .44.

It's resistant enough to not fuck up by looking at it. The frame could eventually turn green because copper, I guess, but they have original 1873 Winchester brass elevators that have their finish.

Just learn how to take care of it, if in 20 years it has actual wear, retire it. Or send it back to Henry for refinishing. It's a nice enough gun but it's not a damn H&H, the fucking things are designed to be used. It makes no sense to buy a more expensive, uglier version that has slightly better corrosion resistance.

Do you even know what kind of steel youll be using?

Going to start with a barrel blank, so something like gmriflebarrel.com/rx44m-27-44-cal-1-20-od-4140cm-1-20-turned-bbl-blank/

Can't find the exact number on that page.

oh nvm then. Thought you might be one of those guys thinking they can build a high pressure cartridge gun from plumbing. Good luck.

Dings and scratches give it character. I wouldn’t worry about it.

fpbp

>t. noguns posting what he don't know about

It'll be fine. Take it out with confidence. Brass does tarnish with exposure, but it cleans up very well and any scratches you add can be buffed out with a towel. Henrys use a special hardened alloy, so don't worry about it. Jealous of your nice 44mag, OP. I've got a 45-70 Marlin on the way, but definitely want a real Henry or Winchester straight stock later.

Attached: bugsohhhhhhhh.jpg (328x277, 11K)

A henry isn't remshit. They give a shit and make outstanding lever guns (bar loading gate).

Finally a levergat thread. WHY THE FUCK DOESN'T WINCHESTER MAKE .44 MAG 92 TRAPPERS ANYMORE?! This is my only question.

winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1892/model-1892-current-products/model-1892-trapper-takedown.html

I hope you have Fuck You money.

>takedown
gay
>$1739.99
mfw

Attached: 1549668863271.jpg (1024x576, 92K)

Who the fuck takes down a goddamn lever gun? Who asked for that?

people in the 1890's you fucking zoomer faggot

Attached: Winchester-1892-Pre-64-lever-action-25-20-W-C-F-inch-TAKE-DOWN-CARINEinch-with-a-20-inch-Octagon-Bar (3000x2250, 461K)

huh, well damn. I always figured take downs were inaccurate for... reasons. Is this not actually the case?

t. mouth breathing retard buckeyes

They're terrible for wear and corrosion resistance. But you know what would really suck? Not using it for its intended purpose. You wouldn't resell it, would you? So fuck it, think of it like a hammer. You aren't going to give a shit if if has nicks in it or a rust spot. Take good basic care of it but for God's sake don't treat it like a museum piece, treat it like a tool. Go have fun. If you're lucky, it'll get a good gash in the stock from climbing down a ravine while you're trailing a big buck, and you'll have a story to pass it down with.

Yeah. If it weren't tube load, it'd be damn near perfect.

Check the fucking catalog before posting a new thread next time, asshole:

>Check the fucking catalog before posting a new thread next time, asshole:
How dumb are you, faggot?
>hurrdurr similar pictures means the threads are the exact same
One is clearly talking about hunting with a Henry and the other is clearly talking about lifetime values of them. That's not the same thread at all, faggot.

Attached: 1548400071191.png (550x578, 259K)