Looking for advice from people familiar with 1911 specs

I've got a Rock Island/Armscor 1911 mid size. (I think it's the commander? although I'm not 100% on this, it's slightly shorter than the original 1911 with a little bit different method for teardown, but it is larger than mini 1911 style builds like the Colt Defender. I've had it for around 5 years and I really enjoy it. I only have one thing that I sort of dislike and that's the Rock Island/Armscor 1911 magazine (because it sticks out from the bottom of the grip) I've cycled around 3000rds easily through this pistol and have never had a jam, so I guess the magazines are good quality, but I would really like to find a magazine that allows the Mag/bottom of the grip to be flush.

Anyone know if standard 1911 mags would interchange with this build? I've been looking at some Springfield and Mccormick mags online and they seem like they should fit, the only difference i've noticed is that there is a small arm on the follower that isn't on the magazines that were included with the pistol by rock island.

I've searched all over the web and I can find instances of people asking similar questions for other 1911 styles with mixed results, I'm thinking about just buying another mag and trying it out but would love to hear from someone who also owns this gun or perhaps has experience with this model.

Attached: bang.png (880x618, 867K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/2-mgarm54169_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg
ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/mag-588-003_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg
media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/815/815261.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/2-mgarm54169_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg

This is the style of magazine that i'm looking to replace.

ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/mag-588-003_1.tif&wid=575&cvt=jpeg
this is the style that i've been looking at.

media.mwstatic.com/product-images/880x660/Primary/815/815261.jpg
this style has the little arm on the follower that i referred to in my post that i keep seeing on the versions i'm finding online.

as someone with that gun
standard size 1911 mags will fit in an officer.
however there are some caveats
that size 1911 is incredibly picky with mags. buy 1 mag of X brand and test it before buying 5. i have 10 rounders that work fine in my govt but dont cycle worth shit in the officer.
the other thing to watch out for with officers is magazine over insertion. you can break your ejector if you go full retard.
buy multiple spare recoil springs if you are going to shoot it frequently. expect under 1000 rounds before replacement.

oh and if you want flush you need officer specific 1911 mags
they come in 6 round and 7 round versions. 6 is rare/oudated and 7 just makes shit confusing cause standard 1911 mags hold 7. searching for 7round 1911 mags kinda fucks you if you are searching for the small officer only mags.

if the gun in the pic is your gun it is an officer not a commander

Thanks, I bought it from a pawn shop a few years ago. I will start looking for Officer 1911 mags. Any make suggestions? a friend at work kept suggesting Mec Gar (SP?) and Mccormick

kimber
im not going to claim all kimber products are good but the 7 round flush fit mag for an officer has been flawless. it was expensive as shit at like 40 but you know what it works.
ive had so many other brands that work fine in normal 1911s fail in the officer that im okay with having a $40 mag because it just works.
the actmag the gun came with hasnt been as reliable as that kimber mag.

Standard 1911 mags carry 8 7rnd mags are outdated
It’s a commander size
Same frame size as an original with a different hammer and a 1/4 inch off the barrel it’s goat and I have one too congratulations you picked the optimal size for the 1911 platform
All 1911s are slide frame fit, so we couldn’t trade slides like if we both had a BLOCK brand pistol. The pistols might work, or they might not point is that if you want a new slide or frame it has to be fit to your mating part.

More info
9mm 1911s are actually just made for autistic folks and eurofags
1911s come in like 8 diffent sizes in 45acp and they also make mini 1911s in 380
South of the border many 1911s are in 38 because only gringos can have miltary calibers
1911s have the best trigger pull of any semi auto (excluding unicorn guns)

Attached: 8D95E7B7-47DE-45BD-8C4E-A51674285253.jpg (3264x2448, 773K)

>Standard 1911 mags carry 8 7rnd mags are outdated
we are talking about an officer not a fullsize govt model

I've got a kimber micro CDP .380, never had an issue with Kimber at all. I'll definitely look into those mags.

Commander is full-size frame bruh

if it was a commander it would have a longer dustcover
OPs gun is clearly a officer
pic related is an officer

Attached: 643452_ts.jpg (385x385, 11K)

heres a ria commander
note that this gun doent look like OPs

Attached: wm_8099581.jpg (1024x768, 46K)

this one is the most similar to mine, note the length of the indentation on the tip of the slide

the indentation is much more elongated here, this is the full size. I was considering this one, but i like to conceal carry my 1911 so i went with the midsize

under the slide*

You have an officer length gun.

Yeah ur right sorry didn’t zoom in on OPs pic

bro sorry to break it to you but that second gun the commander is the midsize 1911
you bought the shortest

the shortest one is similar to the colt defender, I bought the mid size. Mine is about 1" shorter than the full size. The shortest one is about the same size as the Taurus millenium 9

ria goes 5 govt, 4.25 commander, 3.5 officer
no matter what you say its an ria officer.

a defender isnt an officer either
colts officer model is 3.5

Okay to clear up confusion:

GI Length: 5" Barrel
Commander: 4.25" Barrel
Officer: 3.5" Barrel
Defender: 3" Barrel

Off topic i know, but what is your opinion on the small scale 1911's like the .380 that has the same look on a smaller scale
or the small 1911 frames like the defender? I've heard the defender doesn't have much problems with jams and such but I don't really have much information there. I'm in the market for a new pistol but am not sure about what I'm looking for. A few weeks ago i went to the range with a friend and tried his SCCY, another persons Jericho941 and a Glock 43x. I liked the jericho a lot but I kind of want something a bit smaller and easier to conceal.

defenders and other shorter 1911s are fine. your specific gun is the problematic one and the reason everyone shittalks small 1911s and for good reason.
its old tech and officers beat themselves and their recoil springs to pieces. while the springs in shape the guns a reliable but they fail if you shoot em enough.
officers are firstgen small 1911s. the smaller ones that came after have more engineering in em.

I'm not a fan of the Defender length pistols, they eat recoil springs and are very very finicky in my experience.

I have owned a couple of the micro 1911's in the past (P238, Kimber Micro, Colt Mustang), and I always get rid of them because there are better carry options.

I rotate between a Glock 42, a LCR and PPS M2 now depending on how I feel.

I've never had a single jam with my RIA 1911 in 3000 or so rounds fired. I have a friend with a Taurus 1911 that will jam maybe 1 in 100rds though, it's always a feeding issue. I don't see how my model is "problematic", but you're entitled to your opinion.

I really like the size/shape of the defender, I just really want the next thing I buy to be larger than a 7+1. I'm not that familiar with the capacity etc on those smaller frames, if it's not a single stack, it might be really cool.

To my knowledge all of the Micro 1911's are single stack with 6+1 or 7+1 capacity.

nice digits