M1 Garand Worth?

Is it worth shelling out the cash for one of these? I'm more interested in them for the historical aspect and I'd like to get one before they can't be found anymore. I'd get it from CMP, any suggestion on what grade to select?

Attached: M1_Garand_rifle_-_USA_-_30-06_-_Armémuseum.jpg (2350x1100, 423K)

Field Grade - $650, well worn finish, but fine mechanically
Service Grade - $750, minor wear, good mechanics, might get new stock
Special Grade - $1250, reparkerized metal, new barrel, new stock, basically factory new

Service Grade is best bang for the buck

>tfw trying so hard to not spend my tax return on an M1 since I need a new car

Attached: 1373401191275.gif (450x402, 1010K)

I'll be making a trip up with my father in about a month to buy an M1 from the CMP North. A nice father son trip. Max comfy. I plan on picking up a Service Grade, he has his heart set on an IH Special Grade. If you don't have any manufacturer that you're set on then a Service Grade is definitely your best bet.

You can always get a car, but eventually the CMP's supply of M1 Garands will dry up.

>Is it worth shelling out the cash for one of these?
that's a personal question nobody can answer but yourself. is it worth it TO YOU

if you get a four digit tax return, you're a moron. lrn2w4.

They're fun as fuck with the PING. I got one as a gift that was basically brand new and 100% USGI parts (not that fucking garbage CMP tries to stuff in some of their builds). It's accurate with an excellent trigger, and it's an overall satisfying gun to shoot.

Service. Field Grades are nice, but the difference in quality that $100.00 gets you is definitely worth it.
>t. Field Grade owner buying a Service in a few months.

Attached: IMG_20181222_161016_02.jpg (4156x1870, 3.1M)

>he doesn't convert his tax return into bonds
shiggy

>worn metal
>beat up stock
>doesn't have the winter trigger hole
Ew.

Got a filed grade from the north store
Spend the money for a barrel gauge
I can change a wood stock easier than I can change a barrel.
I was surprised as the amount of erosion on some barrels and much less on others,

Attached: C48C8252-B632-4998-96AD-D555959B10C9.jpg (300x200, 5K)

When you guys say north do you mean the one in Ohio? I live in Ohio. Is their inventory ok? I have a CCW, if I roll in with the club membership can I just buy on the spot?

I'm always hesitant to recommend Garands because of how inconvenient they can be to run, and how mediocre results they can produce.

But then I remember how quickly their stock will dry up eventually, considering an 'okay' 91/30 is north of $225 now.

Do you think prices will skyrocket once all the surplus has been snagged by private owners?

The bulk of the CMP's inventory is in their South Store (Aniston, Alabama). The North Store's (Camp Perry, Ohio) inventory is less reliable depending on the time of year. When my dad and I took a trip up there in early 2018 the inventory was quite sparse. It may be worth getting in contact ahead of time.

Idk about skyrocket, especially considering theres a potential glut of Korean Carbine and Garand surplus that may one day be released.

But specifically for a historically/mechanically significant gun like the Garand, I dont ever see the price going DOWN. Even if it doesnt "skyrocket"

Boomers are dying off and their kids selling off their collections will keep the market relatively stable.

Just get an AR

You can always buy used/secondhand from private sellers though, but the Garand has long went past its twilight zone where sellers were selling them at a loss - just due to sheer demand.

>You can always buy used/secondhand from private sellers though

Yeah, for literally double/triple the price of CMP prices...

Attached: 4234235.jpg (499x499, 64K)

Yes, they are worth it for many reasons.
$650-750 is cheap by battle rifle standards, especially since it's a milsurp and an American one from WW2 which everyone is nostalgic about. At that price it's already below market value and you can flip it for 1k the moment you get it if you don't like it, or sit on it till CMP stocks dry up.

If you like the historical aspect, it's an even better deal. You can also hunt with one or straight up have it as an SHTF rifle (not the most high-speed/low-drag thing ever, but can still do some damage).
Decent runaround beater cars are cheap m8. My GF just bought a cherry 98 Maxima for $1400 last week.