Suggestions for DMR build

I'm looking to build a DMR in .308 that will be a nail driver at 1000 yards, but can't decide on the AR-10 or M1A. I recently came into a nice little inheritance, so money is no object for this project. Anything you can recommend that's capable of sub-MOA accuracy out of the box is also welcomed.

Attached: ytQC8Hg.jpg (4656x2620, 1.73M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eweLAgf_55I
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>I'm looking to build a DMR in .308 that will be a nail driver at 1000 yards, but can't decide on the AR-10 or M1A.
ok i gotta ask
did your mom drop you on your head repeatedly as a child?
m1a is a 4-5moa gun at best
ar10 isnt terribly accurate either, by design.
funny how all those 1000 yard tack drivers are all bolt guns with glass bedded barrels
cmon dude get a fucking grip
notsureifserious.png

If you build it with high quality components the AR10 will do pretty well, but I don't know that I'd call it a nail driver at 1000yds. That's already pushing the effective range of 308 even out of a solid bolt gun.

If money is no object I'd build the AR10 in 6.5CM with one of the fancy carbon proof research barrels. Pick a gucci matched receiver set, good trigger, good bolt. And throw some nice glass on it. Just going 6.5CM will put you way more in the ballpark of being a tack driver at 1000yds

ah but there's that upper/barrel problem again. the design is meant for interchangeability in the field, and ease of production. not at all designed for accuracy
bro do you even shoot?

LMT MWS with a 20" stainless barrel

that ar10 is sexy

Can you fucking read?

>I don't know that I'd call it a nail driver
>That's already pushing the effective range of 308 even out of a solid bolt gun

If you're a richfag, just go balls out and buy a KAC SR25. M1A is an inaccurate WWII-era design for people with more money than sense (like OP).

If you're going super long distance you should get something more powerful than 308

you are wrong about both

>money is no object
>.308
PSG1, duh.

Holy fuck when you're asking questions like this you really need to do some reading.

1000 yard shots are going to demand a 24" barrel minimum to maintain velocity at that range.

There is FAR more that goes into your skill than it does your gun. You can't just pick up a 1000 yard gun and shoot 1000 yards, you need to understand every single facet of ballistics and trajectory outside of using a simple ballistics calculator.

>m1a is 3 moa at best
You are fucking retarded. Everyone knows AR 10s and better and cheaper, but there are plenty of 1moa m1a/m14 clones

>AR 10s arnt accurate either
Jesus i didnt finish your post, you are super retarded

>AR-10
>M1A
>Nail driver
>1000 yards .308 shots
Top larp/shitpost

308 is about capped out at 1000 yards. You would want to look at a 338, 300win mag, or maybe 6.5 creedmore. 6.5 creed can be had in an AR10, id recomend the savage msr10 longrange, it comes in 308 or 6.5.
Though you should really ask yourself if you have a range anywhere with 1000 yards, and also ask yourself if your skill level is high enough to fuck with that. If the answer is no on either question, get a 308 and practice at shorter distance. Dont fall for the bolt is more accurate that semi meme. Either can be more or less accurate than the other, its all a matter of price unless you take it to the extreme level of crazy accurate expensive bench bolts.
Anyway, my opinion is
If ar10 get a savage
If bolt get a savage
If m14 clone, idk there are lots of good ones and alot of shit ones, but all are at a disadvantage compared to modern competitors

ptr91a

>there are plenty of 1moa m1a/m14 clones

only if you re-bed them every 50 rounds

> but there are plenty of 1moa m1a/m14 clones
Have fun fiddling with the stock bedding after every range trip and hope it's not muggy out when you shoot.

Both guns can be brought down below 1 MOA you knuckle dragger. But of the two the AR-10 is easier to accurize.

This. Id personally go for the 300 winmag, seeing as how there are a lot more of that ammo floating around, but a 6.5 Creedmore is also very relaible at 1000 yds.

An AR-10 is far better suited for the task. It will be much easier and cheaper to build one that will print the groups you want, plus that rifle will retain that accuracy better with much less effort.

An M1A is a pretty decent rifle too, but under normal circumstances usually shoots about 2-3 MOA. It is more of a cold war battle rifle like a FAL or G3 that can be kludged into a DMR role, where the AR-10 is far better suited to that task out of the box by the nature of its design.

If you have a lot of money to blow I recommend an LMT.
>1000yd
Everyone says that but it's really pushing at the limits of .308, which is far better suited for 800yd and in.
Yeahno, M1As can be 1 MOA with a bit of fuckery and are usually about 2-3 for a standard rifle once it's tuned in. A particularly nice AR-10 can easily group under an inch out of the box, you just won't see that with a poorfag PSA kit build.
Upper/lower play has surprisingly little influence on the actual accuracy of an AR, since most of what matters is in the upper. It's easy to snug up with an accu-wedge or you can just get a machined pair that fit perfectly with no wobble. In fact just about any well made AR-10 won't have any wobble to begin with. Combine that with a decent free-floated barrel and you can get a pretty damned accurate rifle.

Compared to bolt-actions, yes a bolt gun will be more accurate per dollar spent but you can absolutely get a 1 MOA capable AR-10 these days. Possibly even better depending how deep your pockets are.
This too. People get obsessed with 1000yd shooting but realistically it'll be a very long time before you're shooting at those ranges with anything and actually getting any hits. If you buy yourself a fancy AR-10 expect to get gud with it in increments out to about 600-800 or so at best.

>Wumbologist wastes an informative and reasonable post on this shit thread
God has abandoned us

Also if money is really no object you could look into the 300 win mag semiautos. They are sub moa but are stupid expensive and you should really start with something cheaper to practice with.
The msr10 long range is sub moa with 6.5 and atleast 1moa with 308
The expensive savage bolts are sub moa

OP this video is pretty informative, and the small frame ar-10s really are the way to go:

youtube.com/watch?v=eweLAgf_55I