Precision Rifle General /prg/

So I haven’t see one of these threads, I’m fairly new to this and looking at getting a savage 10 in 308 as my first rifle. I was wondering if I’m making a good choice or if there are slightly better starter options for a beginner.

I’m currently watching through t-Rex’s series and building a base knowledge.

I don’t know if there is a pastebin for this or not but if there is someone may be able to post it.

Attached: DE7772B6-2926-4B72-9039-2D71C0873519.png (305x165, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rex is great. Stick with .308 for ammo availability.

I like savage but i like that magpul hunter stock for ruger american.

I would get a ruger american predator (thicker barrel) with the magpul stock

Attached: AA046A62-EFA5-4036-A68D-A95D0F417221.jpg (750x258, 166K)

Bump for you. What are you looking to use the gun for? Hunting? Or simply paper punching?

Attached: 7FF872E7-F4B2-465C-BBB2-61CF82CEDD8F.jpg (4032x3024, 3.88M)

I may check that out.

I really want to start doing some of the long distance shooting but also something I could possibly use for hunting and a “SHTF red dawn” rifle.

.308 seems to be a good middle of the road round with relatively good capabilities. I have no doubt as I get more into it I’ll look at things like the .338 and .223 doesn’t really have the long distance I’m looking for.

From watching Rex though some of the .308 rounds have good B.C. As well as decent Sectional density for the application I’m looking at.

Attached: C4C935C4-B9F3-40F9-A1F8-17BB2FA05216.png (1792x828, 1.67M)

So I just had a look at the Ruger, I really like the look of it, plus Rex mentioned that tigers can be really quite reliable in harsh conditions. the magpul stock will definitely be a future addition. However I did notice that it’s an 18 inch barrel.

As someone very new to all this I know it was mentioned that the .308 can get away will the shorter barrels however what difference would the 18” on the ruger compared to the 20” on the savage?

I just joined a PRS team. Fuck my bank account.

What's PRG's thoughts on Bergara?

Friend has a AI AE in 308 & a GA Precision custom .260 Rem in AI chassis - which would be easier to learn with?

Hit or miss accuracy. The HMR can either be a great rifle, or so-so. For the price, get a Tikka T3x CTR instead.

I guess they never miss huh

Do not buy a Ruger.

I just said they miss with some regularity.

Precision rifle shooting is the most fun (and expensive) shit mane. You'll be reloading pretty soon, if you get into this.

>mfw

Attached: 99vy9gtsuqr01.png (966x662, 958K)

really? only heard good things from my research. different user but I've been eyeing the B14 HMR. Want to get into precision with 6.5 creed.

Before buying, make sure you have a cool range to go through that will let you practice taking long range shots. A lot of ranges don't have the capability to let you shoot beyond 100 yards.

Bitch plz
Maybe if you actually owned a gun, you could reccomend one.

either, you dont have to marry one set up but if you handload youll have to become very intimate with it

all online reviews are overwhelmingly positive because people wont hate what they paid for and think their best groups are representative of their rifle.
>looking at random ~195 grain soft point flat base 8mm mauser bullets
>"0.38 MOA at 200 yards with my kar98!" review

"___ moa all day" triggers me now because of the type of people who say it

arfcom boomers?

One of my builds

Attached: TikkaT3XMcmillan.jpg (1920x1272, 3.49M)

Thankfully I have a range about an hour from me that runs out to 800m

I see you around pretty often and noticed you have a few rifles of different contour.
Have you noticed a general trend between heavier barrel grouping better including cold bore compared to your other rifles? I dont mean when hot, I mean first group of the day. I work with a lot of magnums from sporter contours to #5 and, in my experience it's noticeable but I may feel it more with the extra force on the barrel than short action calibers.
On the longrangehunting forums, where it's people who prioritize accuracy in the lightest builds, I cant tell who's bullshitting sometimes. I know outliers exist but some of them I feel exaggerate and it's hard getting a straight answer.

I haven't really noticed a difference between a heavy barrel to say a hunter barrel in cold bore shots. The difference starts to come out the more you shoot it and how much time you leave between shots. You take a hunter barrel and wait 5 minutes between shots and it will group the same as my M40A1 with it's massive barrel. The difference is I can put 40 rounds back to back through my M40A1 barrel and not even have the thing warm to the touch. My tikka as show was a medium weight barrel. It could group really nice for about 10 back to back rounds and then start to warm up. So for hunting where it's generally the first round that counts your are fine with a hunting barrel. If you're doing something like LRS competition, you're going to want a heavy barrel.

Bumperino

Daily reminder that Precision Rifle had Lon Horiuchi endorse them 10 years ago

PRG supports dog shooting

I’m a little lost here is precision rifle a group? A brand? A magazine?

A shitpost

What is everyones though on the Archimedes action?

The best book ive ever read for long range shooting

Attached: 15506331774721359102258171140121.jpg (4032x1960, 3.1M)

A precision rifle is a rifle that is 1 moa or less consistently. With a heavy free floated barrel, optic.

Usually but not always bolt action.

My 600yd group with my howa 1500

Attached: target_image-1.jpg (960x1280, 159K)

yes
arfcom "yeah haha my ar shoots submoa all day when I do my part, ignore 'fliers', and let the barrel cool during ceasefires" boomers

He's shit-posting. He's talking about how HS Precision was endorsed by one of the snipers at Ruby Ridge, Lon Horiuchi.

Are there any mile competent cartridges that won't totally rape the wallet? 300winmag seems barely better than 6.5creedmoor, 338 lapua mag is like $2 a shot to load and my friend has spent like $300 in components so far to shoot like a 1moa group... 7mm rem mag looks ok if you can get a fast twist barrel. 300prc may be ok if it doesn't flame out in a year...

just my $0.02, YMMV

Here is the graph from Rex’s videos you can check any that are SS past 1600m

Attached: 94E535A1-5031-40D9-B14B-7A1C4DB4BBFE.jpg (1713x637, 905K)

Holy shit

Thanks.

Shot with a howa 1500 in 6.5 cm, using a rear bag, harris bipod, mpa chassis, and swfa 3-15 scope.

Shooting my own handloads, 140gn eldm , 40.5 of H4350.

.223 or .308 if I'm just starting out?

I’m starting out as well and I’m going .308, though I did get training with an M4 in the army

6.5CM

You can get ammo for the same price as 308.

Unless you want to shoot Fclass T/R then go 308

If your stuck on a 100yd range there are a few things you can do.

The best is shoot 22lr precision like 22nrl match ( good guns for this cz455, cz457, vudoo v22)

Or if you have a center fire. Put a bunch of target dots on your target aim at one and practice dialing your scope for hits on the other dots. To get really fancy do a tall target and practice dialing up and down

65guys.com/10-round-load-development-ladder-test/

Going to be trying this out at 100m range tomorrow.

That's a great group and shows skill, but is it repeatable wit that rifle?

You're a pathetic troll that has ZERO experience with the RPR's.

Fuck off back to your shitty mosin thread.

It was till i shot out the barrel. The gun with handloads and me doing my job, was always sub moa, and usually .75moa. My best 5 round group was .30 moa at 600.

When the barrel went (in December) the gun opened up first to 1.5 moa then in the last 250 rounds it went to 2moa.

>finally got myself a decent rifle for precision shooting
>still can't manage to shoot better than about 2 MOA

Attached: 1495867138123.jpg (300x360, 36K)

Try a scope level first then try better ammunition and technique. We've all been in your shoes.

Well they're good rifles. How many rounds did you have through it? Was it the throat that went?

bed the rail

3400 rounds. The throat is toasted. I am going to replace it with a criterion pre fit

If you handload ammo you have yourself to blame.
If you buy factory ammo buy 5 different boxes and stick to what you're gun likes. If that means shooting federal fusion and not match shit because your gun likes fusion more than so be it.
>bought $1,300 6.5CM
>it shoots Hornady deer bullets better than ELD-M
>get to save about $9/box

Ive heard their eldm factory loads dont do well in a lot of rifles. They must be sensitive to where they are with respect to the lands.

What’s a good scope for a beginner on a .308 that’ll stay accurate and reach out to 800m or so

In mils preferably

Swfa 12x best scope under $700

Is that in Mils?