What are some good / interesting 5.56 guns that aren't AR-15s? I've got ARs coming out of my ears...

What are some good / interesting 5.56 guns that aren't AR-15s? I've got ARs coming out of my ears, want something different. Pic related?

Attached: MI-TX95XTRM-3.jpg (1200x451, 198K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iwi.us/product/tavor-7-7-62-nato-16-5-barrel/
youtu.be/PZnGFA5uaNM
thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/jeremy-s/desert-tech-mdr-gun-review/
apexgunparts.com/parts-kits/imi-galil-arm-parts-kit-handguard-bipod-223-5-56x45-vg.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

have you considered buying a gun that isn't in 5.56

>What are some good / interesting 5.56 guns that aren't AR-15s?
Because you're totally going to buy a random gun you didn't even knew existed because an user suggested it, right?
>I've got ARs coming out of my ears
no you dont

CZ Bren 2
Bredda ARX160
AR 180B, then get the forged NoDAK lower receiver.

Lelkek RDB

>Like Tavors
>Dislike 5.56 out of principle
sadboyz

slr-106fr
sar-3
wasr-3
saigas/veprs in 5.56/.223

AUG, or if you want to get freaky the lithgow "I swear it's not an AUG," that has massive height over bore.

I tried AKs, but I can't really justify stocking another intermediate caliber when my ARs already shoot 5.56.

Is the Bren 2 even for sale yet?

buy a 5.56 ak like mentioned

Daewoo K2 (or DR-200 if you don't have shekels)
FN FNC (good for an auto sear if you're willing to blow about $12K total)
IMI Galils (pre-bans or quality parts kit builds)
Galil ACE in 5.56
Veprs in .223
Arsenal SLR-106FR (have fun paying for decent mags though)
Steyr AUG
Mini-14 (get a cheap police trade-in and accept that it's worse than an AR, but as a range toy it's OK)
SCAR-L
CZ Bren 2
Sig MCX/Virtus

5.56 AK is tempting, as is a Galil ace 5.56 so I can still use AR mags. With a folding stock it would also make a pretty good trunk gun.

This, 180B or even the M17-S if you wanna be more obscure

Soon user. Soon

iwi.us/product/tavor-7-7-62-nato-16-5-barrel/

Attached: JPEG_20190214_142959.jpg (3264x2448, 2.75M)

If you wanna be super snowflake.

Build a galil.

Barrels screw in like a fal. But build like an AK.

Kits around around $300ish.

A 100% receiver is a big fat $400-600 (depending on who you get it from.)

Attached: received_511204355972481.jpg (1080x1920, 160K)

>sig
Might as well just shoot myself now and save myself the wait.

Chinkshit Norinco bullpup burgers can't get

Saw the Gun Jesus video on that. "Good" isn't a word I'd use in conjunction with it.

pretty sure you can get it in .300 aac

That thing STILL isn’t for sale!

get the 9mm conversion

This. Lets just hope that the Tavor 7 won't end up being a beached whale like the Desert Tech MDR is/was.

Attached: Fat Ass Whale.jpg (250x187, 6K)

Henry Long Ranger lever-action rifle.
CZ 527 mini-Mauser.
FN SCAR 16S.
Kel-tec RDB.
(sort of an AR shockwave) Fightlite SCR pistol.

FS2000, AUG, various AK pattern rifles listed by other anons, Keltek RDB, SCAR-16, and the MR556.

Come on, this is a fair topic. Better than a shitload of threads here.....

>implying you wouldn't for $500

Why would it? OWO has the manufacturing capability. They have lots of good to excellent product. AFAIK DesTech is a much smaller and morr specialized company.

here are mine. the acr has been sold. out of these, the aug is probably my favorite

Attached: 5.56 no AR15s (1).jpg (3000x2439, 2.4M)

How much of a piece of shit was the ACR?

YEET

Attached: 0B12FA56-18DE-466E-B9FE-B39AC9B50CCF.jpg (1280x720, 200K)

those niggers should have made distinct 5.56 and 7.62 versions. Now the 5.56 shit will weigh like 20 pounds.
I'd LOVE to have pic related and for it to function well.

Attached: mdrc.jpg (1920x1080, 131K)

it was fine actually. some design negatives but i can honestly say the only issue i had with it was the left side of the ambi saftey broke off.
parts are expensive and it just ever grew on me so i sold it.
the new acr pistols are pretty bad from what ive heard though.

have you considered staying on topic.

sorry, too busy being first post best post

What's that on the bottom of the handguard, and is that a different charging handle?

Honestly this. I'd love to get one if they prove reliable. Wish they'd done their homework on more ammo types before pushing the 7.62 out the door.

Will there ever be a production bullpup that's not made by Mattel?

Probably not, since you really need a chassis for a bullpup and polymer makes the most since, being light and not having a ton of stress placed on it.

How good is the FS2000? I see them for sale around $2200 and they're one of the few unmodified STANAG guns that isn't restricted in my state.

The L85? There are others, but they don't qualify for "mass produced".

However, a bullpup's action is right under your cheek. Even if it has a steel or aluminum receiver frame its still going to be covered up by insulating plastic. Might as well just build the whole shell as one-piece polymer, which is exactly what most modern BP designers have done.

The Desert Tech MDR should be getting a 5.56 version.

I want that thing so goddamn bad

Mini-14 is an option.

Mossberg MVP

I can't believe that people were hating on x95s because the desert tech was going to be lighter and more accurate, when in reality the desert tech ended up being an entire pound heavier then advertised and not even reliable under ideal circumstances

they fixed the reliability issues

did they take the weight out of the system? also its just not tested, compare that with ar 15, ak 47 or even the tavor that's battle tested, who knows with kind a new reliability problems will emerge if the base rifle couldn't even cycle regular m80 ball just a few months ago

>Because you're totally going to buy a random gun you didn't even knew existed because an user suggested it, right?

I'm not the dude you're replying to, but what's wrong with that? I've often bought guns I thought were cool because I saw them in a magazine/book/video/forum, got interested, did a little research, and went for it.

>NOT A SOLDIER'S GUN
>JUST NOT RELIABLE

the problems are not a meme

>newfag exposed
I'm laughing at you
youtu.be/PZnGFA5uaNM
InRangeTV's followup video where all their problems were resolved

you should check out a colt commando or something

still a piece of shit regardless, get back to me in 2029 when its got 10 years of field testing

go back to wherever you came from

im going to drop a little hate since your fanboying over there

that mdr for everyone knowledge is going at $2500.

Its a new rifle, and in our current market that's the top of its price range, were talking SCARs, high end ar10s whatever you want is in that range. and the low end of the market you've got low weight high value guns in the high 7lbs for weight ( almost a full pound lighter than the desert tech)

so what are you getting for that money? you cant replace the parts yourself like an AR10 (again something that MIGHT be addressed in 10 years if the platform is still around by then) so if you do run into trouble your only recourse is really to send it back to the factory which is a lengthy and painful process.

back to value and cost, you could get a PSA armory PA-10 that weights about 7.8lb with a stainless barrel, two thousands rounds of ammo 10 sr25 pmags and a 1-6x scope vortex scope for the price of the wunderpup and spare parts for the sr25clones are everywhere.

end of the line, in EVERY market people compare the lowest cost option to any new market entry and ask the question, what does this do BETTER.

The only thing i can say for the MDR is OAL, but clearing rooms with .308 isn't really what the commercial market wants from a .308.

and it actually does quite a bit WORSE than that 700 option

>heavier
>questionable reliability with no ability to fix the problem yourself
>less accurate
>face is closer to the muzzle blast, which in .308 can be pretty obnoxious
>weird ejection
>requires different than standard mounts for optics
>way less customization options
>no binary option for mag dumpers and dirt destroyers
>no track record
>no assurance of support in future

and I'm probably missing some, so for anyone thinking about that gun, just be aware you are buying a meme, not a weapon

>less accurate
where are you getting accuracy numbers?
>weird ejection
a selling point of the design
>no binary option for mag dumpers and dirt destroyers
goes against your earlier points of accuracy and cost
>no track record
>no assurance of support
so we should just never innovate?
personally for $2500 I'd rather have a weird meme bullpup and $600 towards an optic than a SCAR-H, but I don't want either, my plan is to build an AR-10 in the near future.

While there isn't tons of empirical accuracy data, I'm confident in suggesting that a free floated match grade stainless ar10 with a match trigger is going to be more accurate than a bullpup with a chrome moly salt bath tube.

I'm all about innovation, but only value driven innovation. that ejection port looks like a problem waiting to happen

Also forget one of the biggest negatives of bull pups which is on full display with the MDR and that's chamber/action access. those guns are much harder to remediate.

I'm not trying to shill for ar10s, they have their own problems, but the MDR didn't solve them.

barrel material doesn't affect accuracy, that's a fudd myth
isn't the MDR also free floated?

You bought them because they pleased you

OP is pretending that he'll buy a gun only someone else likes

thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/10/jeremy-s/desert-tech-mdr-gun-review/

good reference for accuracy, keep in might that a sub-moa ar10 is pretty common. their best group of the day was 1.1 and they had 2 and even 2.8moa shot groups up there.

not bad for a bullpup but not for a high end ar10

tavor is gay i sold mine.

>You bought them because they pleased you
Yes.

>OP is pretending that he'll buy a gun only someone else likes
How do you know OP isn't shopping around for suggestions which he would then evaluate and would only purchase if he happened to like them?

cool
>some dumbass shoots about 1moa with a shit trigger in the rain and a suppressor
sounds good to me

Bottom of handguard is a flip out bipod. It's pretty meh in my experience from a practical standpoint. Charging handle is a front folding one from... Shit ... Manticore arms i think?

We all know who shits on the x95 and why.

Thanks user. Was thinking about one of those raised rails from Manticore for my SAR, but I figure I'll get an inexpensive red dot first and see how I like it before blowing more money than I need to.

the ARX is going away soon, maybe for good.
buy one while you can and they are still cheap.

this one

Attached: XCRSideProfileBench.jpg (768x1024, 351K)

The people that have them seem to like them. I think theyre more of a collectors oddity than a “serious rifle”

heavy but very soft to shoot.
you should buy one while you can. 2200 is quite a lot but they may never import any more, just like with the ARX.

me too user.
me fucking too.
to be fair, the MDR is lighter than the Tavor 7, will be caliber interchangeable (unlike the X95 and Tavor 7), has forward ejection, has proper drop free magazine release, and a trigger that isn't total shit right OOTB.
comparing the MDR to an X95 would be like comparing the Tavor 7 to an RDB. It doesn't make any sense. Apples and Kiwis.

Attached: LithgowF90MBR.jpg (995x400, 53K)

>What are some good
Nothing.
>interesting 5.56 guns that aren't AR-15s?
I dunno, guess an AK?

also, it's super fucking easy to hate on the SAR/X95 when the AUG did everything IWI did but in the fucking 70s AND also has a sick-ass quick-change barrel system that works and allows you to turn your CQC carbine into a literal SAW in seconds.
now explain why I shouldn't care even less once the F90MBR comes out that takes the AUG adaptability to a whole new level?
>protip: you can't
even IDF conscripts want the lighter more capable easier handling surplus M4's and M16A2's back instead.
the X95 was a meme, is a meme, and always has been a meme.

Attached: MSARSTG-E4Multicam.png (1024x539, 1.13M)

>no assurance of support in future
>Only buy ARs and Glocks, they're the only things with enough support.

if a war breaks out and SHTF you won't have any support period. you may not even have the time or place to fix your rifle if it breaks. you won't have the space or ability to carry extra parts around either, most likely.
the scrounger's mentality is like rolling the dice: hoping your bargain bin AR or P80 build won't break and will have 100% interchangeable parts lying around for you to use everywhere is a fools errand.
buy once cry once, and if you're going to cry better make sure it is over something that gives you something a bit extra.

My reasoning is buy whatever you want, and if SHTF so badly that you've shot so much your gun broke, hopefully you actually killed something (I'm assuming you did because you'd have to shoot thousands of rounds to break a decent gun). If you've killed something, it was likely something shooting back at you, which therefore had a gun. Just take their gun and stash it somewhere. Most people are going to have ARs, which is why I never felt the need to get an AR for SHTF. They will be lying around everywhere, what's the point of buying your own?
>But I can swap out this or that
Or you can pick up an entirely functional rifle and just use that. Pick up a few and mix/match, whatever. You wouldn't need to replace a small part if you didn't have an AR, so that logic is inherently flawed.

you will run out of ammo before you have to worry about changing out parts, to be honest, but yea.
urban combat is unbelievably brutal and anons don't think about stuff like having to bash a door down with your rifle to escape a gang of people on your ass by cutting through an apartment block hallway is a very real scenario for a lot of people. That' why I got an XCR for my truck gun so I on't have to worry about smashing a car window out with it and still have a functioning rifle afterwards.

Is this the closest thing we're going to get to the PDR?
I'd buy it if it wasn't obscenely priced and didn't require paperwork out of the box.

>Kits around around $300ish
Spoon-feed pls

I only run Ak’s for shtf because I realize that everyone will have an AR just chock full of 5.56 and spare parts, and I want to play on Ranger Hardcore mode.

FAB defence bipod.

I like it when paired with a bag gets it up a bit so you arnt scrunched.

Charging handle is a manticorearms charging handle

Here you go: they were 300 last year must have bumped up the price. Regardless it was a quality kit. Little bit of wear but nothing put of the ordinary

apexgunparts.com/parts-kits/imi-galil-arm-parts-kit-handguard-bipod-223-5-56x45-vg.html

what do you mean, it doesn't require paperwork

I hope it's ratty as fuck with no dust cover, too.

In seriousness, I'd happily run a 5.56 AK as my main rifle if mags were more available. I prefer AK ergos to AR.

really want one of these

straight out of 2008

anyone have experience with more modern XCRs?

Isn't it an SBR?

no, 16 inch barrel and 26.2 overall length, which makes it completely legal
it's not an SBR, just a bullpup

Why god can we not have it already!

Attached: ef88-with-ml40aus.jpg (1949x1088, 206K)

What are the positive and negative feature changes between an original AUG (A3) to the Australian version?

buy a real gun

Attached: M80A1 7.62mm .jpg (1500x844, 321K)

The compact version uses a 10~ish barrel.

>complain that an SBR requires SBR paperwork
>when they make a non-SBR version that's already extremely compact because the gun's a bullpup
okay

>doing research on the MDR
>trying to find references to this fabled 10 inch barrel SBR version (10 inch on a 308 sounds like a dumb idea)
>find this
wew lad

fuck, cropped it wrong

Attached: file.png (902x167, 26K)

He said he wanted a non-vaporware Magpul PDR, I can respect that. There's also nothing wrong with being even smaller.

Well, it's also going to be in 5.56 and maybe other calibers. .300 Blacked would be right at home.

So is there any rifle that is so good it's worth ditching the AR for? Cause it doesn't look like it.

To get what you get out of an AR now you'd have to give a brand new product 40 years of development and use.

The ones that are shorter than an AR for no loss in velocity and a non-significant decrease in precision as far as combat is concerned.

So all bullpups ever. Yes, even the L85A2.

Galil ACE and Aug A3 both have a boat load of combat experience and are reliable. Plus they can take STANAG mags to keep logistics easy. They are different enough to the AR to make range days more interesting.

I'm the OP.

Galil ACE is what I'm leaning towards. AK lineage that takes AR mags.