What is the most famous battle in human history? Remember human history, too, not just military autists

What is the most famous battle in human history? Remember human history, too, not just military autists

Attached: Cannae.jpg (770x437, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_C._Perry#First_visit,_1853
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_Samoa#Colonization_by_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hawaii#United_States_territory
youtube.com/watch?v=9hMp65SzyTU
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas
youtube.com/watch?v=15sadB93VNs
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

D-day.

The battle of the Milvian Bridge. Even if someone doesn't know the name they probably know it as "that battle where Constantine vanquished the Pagans"

Stalingrad, probably. It's mentioned more often than any other I can think of.

Waterloo

gonna have to agree with that, at least on broadly speaking

there arent quite as many battles that destroyed a persons legacy to the point its become permanently ingrained in the english language as a synonym for defeat as that

more specific examples would be tsushima, for the russians and either operation overlord or midway for the americans

Really? The correct answer is probably Stalingrad. Ask any millennial what Waterloo is and they probably won't know

We (((they))) won!

Attached: 57582947169.jpg (567x758, 103K)

What about the battle of New Orleans, Siege of Yorktown, or even Gettysburg and The Alamo/San Jacento in tandem for Americans, I think the first two are pretty memorable.

>I think the first two are pretty memorable.
gettysburg is probably the only battle your typical american remembers from the civil war
and the crossing of the delaware is probably the most famous moment of the revolutionary war

Any of the 109 times where Jews were banned and massacred was important.

Waterloo, Gettysburg, Stalingrad are my top three armchairs. Most mentioned, most studied. Probably most understood/misunderstood. Everyone and their waifu has heard and has an opinion.

Honorable mentions are Granicus, Gaugamela, Thermopylae, Cannae, Austerlitz...oh idk...Hastings and Agincourt. Tuetoberg Forest.

Who fuckin knows.

Attached: 1524894203922.jpg (840x869, 116K)

Famous for who? Americans up there are citing battles of the Revolution that "nobody" could name in Europe.

Stalingrad is certainly up there as well as D-day if it counts as one battle, simply because of the sheer numbers of movies about it.

Bonus Fictional Round!!

New Gettysburg.

Attached: Infestation and Chill.jpg (1024x768, 65K)

the battles for moscow in 1812 and 1941

Gettysburg and Stalingrad.

Troy

Nearly every Sabaton song.

This. People of different time periods and nations would remember different battles. The war between the Russians and turks literally redefined military doctrine the world over, but who cares about the siege of plevna in 2019?

Battle of the Somme 1916

Attached: 3691378_1357481somme-news_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqutIaqbtdgycbjoKap7Ft80SY4L_uZbX2J0tItxocMLE.jpg (2543x2543, 793K)

There is absolutely no way the average person even knows who Constantine was

Most of the 'famous' battles are too huge to comprehend. It's just vast numbers of people suffering for too many days though too much pain. Strategies and tactics drown in statistics.

I'll suggest Rourke's Drift. Short, dramatic and many of the participants' names are known. And the outcome was not determined from the start in the slightest.

In all of human history, probably Thermopylae or Marathon, anyone who knows about western history knows it because it is vital to there even being a west and recent media from movies like 300 gave it more attention in other cultures like China and India.
Battles like Agincourt/Hastings are really only know by the French and English, Same with stuff like Stalingrad where only parties that had a stake in it really care.
The memory of the few thousand Greeks who gave their lives to fend off a million Persians will always be remembered by us.

Attached: leonidas.jpg (1200x863, 291K)

For the average America person, I'd say D-Day and Gettysburg. With that being said, I doubt that even if someone was aware about those battles that they'd know anything more than the wars they were fought in.

Depends entirely where you're from and how much you paid attention in history class desu.

As a Bong the first one that came to my head was Hastings, but Waterloo is probably a better fit worldwide as many have already said. Trafalgar gets an honourable mention as well, just because Nelson was such a mad lad.

For a Russian it'd probably be Stalingrad, Kursk or Austerlitz, Americans might say Gettysburg, Normandy or if they're really hopped up on patriot cool-aid, The Alamo, Bunker Hill or Crossing the Delaware. A Chinese person might say the Red Cliffs while a Japanese person might say Sekigahara or Taka Island. Aussies will be talking about Gallipolli the whole time while the Poles are yelling Vienna and flapping their arms like wings.

Comes down to whatever your national creation myth is I guess

Attached: BoliviaChile.jpg (1440x954, 127K)

Alamo comes to mind first just because of MGS3

the ape tribes fighting each other in the beginning of 2001

The soviet invasion of Berlin.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

A lot of you guys are wishful thinking. The average person knows SHIT. They know 1/10th of what you think they know.
Stamford Bridge, Bosworth Field, Austerlitz, Stalingrad- the average person has never heard of these events.

The only answer is the Normandy landings, D-Day. In the US, maybe Gettysburg comes close. Waterloo maybe a runner up, as people have probably heard of it but don't know what it is beyond "Napoleon"

>invasion

Fuck off cunt!

My first thought was, "Which one?"

>The memory of the few thousand Greeks who gave their lives to fend off a million Persians will always be remembered by us.
>a few thousand greeks
>a million persians
>it will always be remembered by us
Badly though.

>an incursion by a large number of people or things into a place or sphere of activity.
>not an invasion
Lol vatnik

Go back

most likely this

i would like to say the Alamo is also a contender

but i honestly can't say how well known it is outside of the states

>like Stalingrad where only parties that had a stake in it really care
What? Both respective parties are dead ideologies, and it's possibly the most known battle of the most popular war in history up there with D-Day, the Battle of the Bulge, and the "Pacific Theatre" (nobody talks about the single battles in the Pacific, but know about Banzai charges etc)

The 300 at Thermopylae I’ll take the battle of trafolger as backup

If anything, I would consider the Ostfront an inevitable counter-attack. Calling it an invasion, although technically accurate, is a bit of a misnomer for the implication of two separate entities and one taking the other, and it's disingenuous to draw a line at previously owned territories and Germany proper when it was a quite flexible boundary.

Stalingrad, Verdun, Waterloo

Attached: salt.jpg (900x900, 102K)

I said all parties involved, that includes the allied powers as a whole. Ask someone in Cambodia or south america about it

D-Day
Lepanto
Trafalgar
Waterloo

You first in the oven rabbi

A rather good choice, and a good motivation for it

lmao no

Siege of Budapest

Attached: chain-bridge-and-buda-castle.jpg (702x520, 62K)

I’ve got a sinking feeling about this

It is though, retard. Literally everyone in Europe, the Americas, and thanks to Hollywood movies, Asia as well knows what D-Day was. It is without a doubt the most famous battle in human history.

Yes
No
No
No

Because the kikes give it the most light

Probably pretty close between Waterloo and (particularly now that there's been several AAA movies about it) the Battle of Thermopylae.

What the fuck are you babbling about? It has nothing to do with kikes. D-Day was a massive undertaking that stuck in the collective memory of that generation because of the sheer scale of it, even if the battle itself was rather small and didn't result in many deaths. For years people in England had to station American troops in their homes as we built up our forces and trained them for that day. Resistance fighters in Occupied France and Holland had been waiting for 3 years for the day to finally come. That's why it left such a massive imprint on our memory and why it was the subject of so many books, movies, video games, etc.

If you ask people in the streets about it, can you honestly say that they would know when it happened and who were the protagonists?

Just because it's well documented doesn't mean it's well known. I mean in my country (France), nobody would know about it. Besides parisians thanks to metro stations, most french don't even know about the famous french battles that happened before this century.

Fuck off commie

Among normies?

Bet goes onto Stalingrad. Throw in Verdun (Somme for the anglosphere) , D-Day for a good mix. All the other stuff here is too america-centered

wat? It makes as much sense as calling the Pacific Theatre a US invasion. Gotta tow that NatSoc line, huh zoomer?

Trojan War.

I want that fucking remaster.

one so ruinous that no trace of it remains
but my vote goes to the Battle of Alesia and the Siege of Masada
just because of how crazy the siege works were

>just because of how crazy the siege works were
>siege works
>not Demetrius's siege of Rhodes or Tyr

was gonna post this

in terms of basic info, like "where it was fought";"in what war it was fought";"between which leaders was it fought";"how was the fighting itself actually conducted", Operation Overlord has a much bigger cultural presence than any other battle.

It was also the first death knell for Germany, and therefore one of the critical moments of the largest war ever.

Wasn't Stalingrad turned before that point?

>Not realizing Kursk was the death knell
Retard.

Attached: AEAAA6D1-F7AC-44DD-8E02-B64A2AAA9C9A.gif (352x217, 1.64M)

Don’t worry I preheated the oven to 425 for you to jump in when it’s ready.

Germany's losses in Russia represented defeat, but not complete destruction of their country. There were political escape routes for the Nazis before D-Day.

No there wasn’t. The Bolsheviks were utterly committed to fight to the last man.

Attached: FCB26C3A-DD1C-4748-8694-A04BA5C84C8B.jpg (1600x900, 125K)

Battle of Marathon

>There were political escape routes for the Nazis before D-Day.
The only one I could conceivably think of would be a coup of Hitler and major land reparations, and even that would be a stretch.

I vote Thermopylae. Westfags love Greek and Roman history.

>It was also the first death knell for Germany, and therefore one of the critical moments of the largest war ever.
Ever heard of Stalingrad and Kursk, user?

Literally no normie outside Eastern Europe knows stalingrad.

A good troll never misses their chance for a good Jew hate post, don't bother explaining in that context.

Jow Forums is lost. 30% legit Russian influence trolls, 60% non-state actor trolls, and 10% absolute retarded level murricans who take the bait so hard they have created a Boogeyman to explain why their lives are utter failures.

Attached: 1550352637678.jpg (432x347, 32K)

>embargo's aren't conflict
what are you doing there anyway ?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_C._Perry#First_visit,_1853
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_American_Samoa#Colonization_by_the_United_States
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Hawaii#United_States_territory

I'm still reading up about this stuff
but it makes me wonder how some people interpret history the way they do

youtube.com/watch?v=9hMp65SzyTU

Are you even going to make a cognizant point relating to anything you quote? I'm well aware of the US's gunboat diplomacy and Commodore Perry, as well as the conquest of Hawaii and our other pre-WWII island escapades.

Yeah because after Stalingrad and Kursk, the russians certainly were going to stay put in their country, it's only because of the impending landing in normandie that they went all the way to berlin...

If you’re not Catholic or Orthodox, you probably don’t know who Constantine is. “In hoc signo, vinces” is a motto for some Order of Catholic Knights of some sort, I’m sure though

Attached: 1460297704478.jpg (1223x1280, 971K)

Marathon? Definitely. Plataea? Also definitely. Thermopylea? Eh. It was a great example of Spartan sacrifice to the Greek world, but in terms of safe gaurding it's freedom, had little impact. The Spartan's stand didn't actually do much to prevent the Persian conquest and the naval battle at salamis was what convinced xerxes to turn around with the majority of his army, and plataea is what finally repulsed them for good. Not only that, but the valor and determination shown by the Spartan's at thermopylea is kind of overshadowed by there shitty behavior at pretty much every other pivotal moment of the greco-persian wars... Up to and including straight up collaboration with the Persians against Athens. Spartan's are remembered as the right arm of the Greek world, but the Greek world and Western culture emerged as it did largely in spite of their efforts

and yet you cant see how the us presence in the pacific might be unwelcome
America would only be defending places it had already subjugated

nailing some faggot jew to a cross, started a whole cult.

I’m gonna say there are a few if we are talking about battles that will still be household names in 1,000 years
>Stalingrad:
most deaths and turned the tide of WWII
>Waterloo:
Napoleonic historical significance
>Thermopylae:
pivotal battle and will always be remembered for tactics and bravery
>Battle of Carthage
Romans become unchallenged in the Mediterranean
What do all of these have in common? They are all decisive battles that led to the end of hegemonic wars. There are not that many hegemonic wars so there are only a few that can fit this bill. There are a few others as well.

Why do stormfags want to bring back a world that never existed?

The Battle of Vietnam of which the USS lost

cringe

don't cut yourself on all that edge, child

Up in the northeast I would say Lexington and Concord ring more bells than Gettysburg, also everyone knows about I agree with most of this post but Stalingrad. While I doubt its number 1, a lot of people know about that one.

IT WAS A TIE

Tbf Jesus was by all accounts a great guy and would not have wished any part of what occurred in his name to happen. He repeatedly told his followers not to worship him and to treat everyone as if they were fellows, which is the opposite of what they did. I mean, literally days after he died was all it took for them to forsake his most cherished wish.

Battle of the Plains of Abraham

Cringe

are you sure he did not die on purpose ?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gospel_of_Judas
and yea followers will always worship the golden calf the moment your back is turned

Battle of Tours

Attached: 300px-Steuben_-_Bataille_de_Poitiers.png (300x247, 157K)

WE WERE ON A CEASE FIRE

Attached: 15135760-991144-1500308784-650-777cae7089-1500550790.jpg (650x364, 67K)

STALINGRAD

youtube.com/watch?v=15sadB93VNs

Attached: 1453481511643.jpg (1280x884, 560K)

My favourite battle at least.

The puls I had playing that epic mission as a teenager

Only amongst right-wing frenchmen.

You guys really overestimate how smart the average normie is, especially the average American. I vote either D Day or Pearl Harbor

Because what we're doing now clearly isn't working, and we have to remove the segments of the population that are preventing us from reaching our potential. 30% of the population is a cancer that is dragging down the majority.

that one battle with the spartans and persians