Best Machine Gun of WW2

Even the germans admitted it.

Attached: browningM2a.jpg (550x300, 10K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Germans are retarded

it was really heavy though, and was usually company-level rather than a squad level asset

it was more due to americans being able to mount the M2 on pretty much every vehicle that could carry one and proper deployment of the gun on road blocks and cross roads that they were able to use it to great efffect, rather than intrinsic values of the gun itself

DSKH

>company-level rather than a squad level asset

Well, yes. Mainly because there's no way that you're going to make good use of that with a squad sized grouping.

As a heavy machine gun? Yeah the browning M2 hands down, it’s used Ben today. For a squad machinegun, the mg42 was better but had too high of a cycle rate. Hence the MG3 being the same design modernized with a lower rate of fire and converted to 7.62 nato

> a squad machinegun, the mg42 was better but had too high of a cycle rate.

That thing laid down so much dick it was crazy.

But the M2 BMG is simply the ultimate HMG given current tech.

BTW, happy 100th birthday, M2. Invented in 1919.

The M1919 is 100 now. The M2 was technically born in its present form in 1933. One of the many changes from the M1919 was to embrace the German cal .50 ammo design.

I think it's still illegal to use a .50cal as an anti personnel weapon, at least technically.

>However, there is no provision of the Geneva Convention that has ever been interpreted to forbid the use of the M2 on personnel. The misconception may have arisen during the Korean or Vietnam Wars when U.S. troops were told to use their M2s only on enemy equipment due to shortages of ammunition

M2 was, and is, legal to be used on personnel
its really heavy, so you wont see people bring it like it was an M240 unless you are roadblock
but it has excellent range, accuracy, and penetration which was why the germans were wary of it

Not a particularly good gun. Testament to 20th century American industrial capacity and skilling.

Best LMG is the mg42

The MG42 was never a LMG.

>legality
>of war
Tippety top kek, there are no "laws" or "rules" of warfare. That's just stupid shit they put on a piece of paper to make the civilians back home feel like there's some type of humanity behind it. You can do whatever the fuck you want to do in war. As long as you win, it was all legal.

I can't believe this gun is still being used today and it even got just very recently got a record for the longest sniper kill in the world by some Canadian. I can only imagine his pride.

Attached: jmb.jpg (319x460, 18K)

This. If those laws are being applied, the ‘war’ being fought is not a real war.

>I can't believe this gun is still being used today and it even got just very recently got a record for the longest sniper kill in the world by some Canadian
huh?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

It has high accuracy and RoF for its weight class. You could use it to snipe if you wanted to. What is there not to like?

Expensive. Recoil operated (marginal power available requires care and quality parts). Bullets don't explode even though they are big. Cartridge is a German anti-tank rifle bullet from WW1, not optimized for range.

ah I'm retarded, I apologize. I was told it was with an M2 browning lol.

>Cartridge is a German anti-tank rifle bullet from WW1
huh?

M2 browning made the previously longest kill on record, by carlos "white feather" hathcock in Vietnam
he was not canadian though

it was exceeded in iraq, but by dedicated snipers rifles
you probably mixed up current and previous record holders