Have people become meaner?

A serious question Jow Forums
I noticed that over the last few years people online have seem to just meaner for no reason, just for the sake of being mean. Not only in this board but in others.
it seems to me like it's almost normalized and become a big passtime.
And i'm not talking about arguments where each side has a point they argue. I'm talking about people commenting shit for no other reason than to just try to bring their own misery unto others.

I don't remember people online being such, anyone else feels along these lines?

In order to compensate for my rant i will dump so quality pics for your enjoyment.

Attached: 1195190227232.jpg (1008x619, 57K)

Other urls found in this thread:

slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/30/sort-by-controversial/
youtu.be/1sONfxPCTU0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

yeah maybe. its possible that its a reaction to our sensationalized PC culture. you have to be nice in person so people vent more online.

Attached: 1203168580879.jpg (830x553, 108K)

What on the internet?
Brah just close your laptop ahhaha
In real life? Probably the abandonment of ChristIan values and division of society

Attached: 1202831087346.jpg (1891x2100, 1.13M)

This isn't weapons related you colossal faggot, ksg yourself immediately

Attached: 1210876827386.jpg (2601x2807, 2.09M)

Is this some sophisticated irony that's missed in the text form? or is this your pathetic attempt to be exactly what i'm talking about in my post. This is a Jow Forums pics thread boy.
FFS who touched your pee pee that the first chance you get you gotta lash out on people. You could have skipped this thread and just took pics, instead of you choose to engage in being a jerk for no reason. If you gonna bring out the rules, at least know what the hell you're talking about.

Attached: 1213180064546.jpg (800x531, 158K)

Attached: 1215430857920.jpg (2000x1274, 496K)

Attached: 1215677414450.jpg (2472x1495, 2.24M)

Attached: 1223460412046.jpg (2000x1303, 1.06M)

Attached: 1223465269349.jpg (1800x1200, 2.06M)

Attached: 1225195853312.jpg (3000x2336, 2.42M)

Attached: 1227740050539.jpg (4288x2848, 2.34M)

I'll probably brb later.

Attached: 1234322105493.jpg (2700x1517, 464K)

Read through any thread and you can tell immediately how many no gun normies are here now. Today it's cYbErPuNk GnUs and Fat vidya oper8rs. I saw someone ask if you need a stamp for a bog standard MP5 that was clearly an SBR.

I blame facebook. The rise of Jow Forums reposters is killing the quality of the board as more normies find out about it. Incidentally (((Zucc))) has also killed off a lot of forums, which is an entirely different topic.

Attached: 1357757916688.jpg (2237x1634, 1.04M)

It was the ukraine conflict with its flood of russian shills poisoning ever comment section and social media out there. Get in, roughen up the tone, taking over discussion, dripping poison in everyones ear and when the damage was done leave for the next place to ruin. People will say that its bullshit, but that is just ignorance, anons on Jow Forums should know best, we had our share of doing similar, raiding other sites, manipulating votes, creating tons of conent on opinional stuff that then got spread on the rest of the internet. And they target us Jow Forums as well, there were times were Jow Forums was more prorussian and shilling Russias interests harder than most russians.
The face of the internet has changed, it aint some minor groups doing some stupid stuff anyomre, it is organized manipulation and creating fights done by a big player, that puts psychological group analysis in use and adapts to every new problem to keep going.

I know pol exploded because of '16, but has Jow Forums as a whole retained more users? Civil discussion still happens, people just need to ignore the shitposters and they'll fuck off.

Attached: 1467062582438.jpg (2966x1557, 694K)

Yeah, as board traffic increases only the most clickbait can illicit a response. This usually comes in the form of bait or overly emotional replies, like being a vile human bean.

These. As people can monitor you more and more (social media), a place where people can vent relatively anonymously is very important.

You can only ignore them to a certain degree, when you do nothing after this, everyone new will think it is Jow Forumsonsensus and think this is how things are handled to and it also drive the decent people of the board, people already have to deal with idiots in real life, no one wants to spend even more time in their spare time on the internet with them. We got people asking in Ian hate threads every now and then why everyone started to hate on him, while it is just the old forced meme by a smaller group and trolls. And trolls love to play useful idiots for such destructive stuff too, when no one responses they were right and had the last word, if you object you got played and triggered by the epic RuZ3-M4ster_2000.

yeah i noticed this too.

Don't disagree OP.

fiction and nogunz but worth the read

slatestarcodex.com/2018/10/30/sort-by-controversial/

Ukraine and Syria. Things felt more peaceful and civil before that. It really became a cluster fuck around and after 2016, that's for certain

>ksg yourself immediately
cant tell if typo or keltec reference

Reference to the kid from /rk9/ who live streamed his suicide with a ksg

>of course, Jow Forums jumped on this immediately

Attached: why dont you knock it off with them negative waves.jpg (1200x1000, 229K)

Yes and what I don't get is when someone new/novice shows geniune interest in guns, people call them stupid, dum fuck, tell them to kill themselves over not knowing something that the regular Jow Forums autistic finds trivial.

Sorry to say but you don't strengthen the gun culture and get more supporters of your cause by calling everyone who doesn't know has much as you a stupid fucking piece of shit who should kill them self.

Be fucking nicer you fucking assholes. And kill yourselves but not with a gun so you don't contribute to the gun death statistics.

Attached: 1529710587042.jpg (720x692, 49K)

OP here
Thanks for the comment boys,
I think outside of the russian/planned manipulation there's something about people just wanting to shit on other people especially when they aren't overly aggressive.
like when someone posts something helpful or serious or deep they get met with "lol kys" one line comments, while shallow threads that start with 1 pic and 1 line to bait others into some retarded back and forth gets hundreds of retarded replies.
I think it shows about the quality of people in Jow Forums in general. While sure there's autists that made this into their home I think way too many people would just want to see something destryoed and burned and enjoy seeing their wife fucked/home burned / board destroyed in some kindf o weird cultural cuckary. It's like implied. it's like a western thing of people that have the nicest lives in human history find meaning in destroying their culture.
I'm an ex soviet and i know how to recognize a russian toxic user, they usually can't hide their aggression, I'm not too sure it's made by those users especially in thing unrelated to russia/west. I feel it comes from non "russian"(organized) users but by individuals of their own free will.

Jow Forums becoming a shallow place made it into a lesser place, but it still holds some of nicest discussions i can find anywhere, too bad it's amidst a sea of retardation that you gotta swim through.

I find it in other sites. The other day i saw people roasting free games that were made in a gaming community by individuals as if they paid money for them when they didn't. like someone owes them anything and they don't realize they are receiving free games that are made by individuals who put in tons of effort just to shit on someone.
Maybe our fault for not wanting to call out on these jerks. But I don't feel like becoming some crusader spending my free time online calling out jerks only to have it very little effect.

Attached: 1390062847051.jpg (1920x1200, 675K)

Attached: 1410240585231.jpg (3000x1827, 1.86M)

youtu.be/1sONfxPCTU0

Attached: 00V0V_7DHIAOdek2N_600x450.jpg (600x397, 53K)

Attached: 1410161653410.jpg (2830x1890, 2.63M)

Attached: 1522299553824.png (320x240, 12K)

nah man, it's more in the lines of "why do we have to destroy everything nice" I'm not arguing for everyone to be nice, just that the increase of being mean in place uncalled for is retarded and self destructive

Attached: A10-04-2670x2136.jpg (2670x2136, 1.43M)

I'd say you really have to sort through the chaff. There's always a degree of vitriol that comes along with the anonymous discussion of any topic, especially ones that are inherently subjective (which is better, X or Y?). Of course it doesn't help when people are so eager to be outraged over the smallest thing, and other people are so eager to outrage others (why is X so much better than Y?).
In terms of Jow Forums alone, some threads are definitely better than others. Of course there's always bait, and I find that the better you are at ignoring it, the more enjoyable your life becomes. Like I said, it's easy to get outraged, and it can make us feel good, but nothing is gained from it. Neither myself, nor many other people here are under the illusion that their shitposting and counter-shitposting has swayed anyone's opinion or viewpoint on anything at all (although I do know I like the Chinese a whole hell of a lot less than before I started coming here, so...) Point being, if you come here looking to learn, or have a good time, and stick to that mindset, things are generally pretty alright; stick to threads about things you know. Don't be afraid to hide posts and threads that are obvious bait. I know it can feel like you're putting yourself in an echo chamber, but there's a difference between suppressing civil discourse, and letting some asshole blow an airhorn in your ear.

Attached: 1522775384866.jpg (400x250, 22K)

>Christian
>Values
pick one

Radicalism is on the rise, now that the various hostile powers have realised what worked on the Arabs will work on us too. A consequence of this is the increasingly hostile nature of online discourse.
It's just another part of modern war now.

pc culture has liberated me
of friends

Thanks man.
I guess i gotta step back and reassess before i keep walking. I had the impression that being here for many years is supposed to naturally make me immune but maybe i gotta remind myself of how to approach Jow Forums once again.
Solid advice. ty

Attached: 1420449593302.jpg (3380x1763, 1.48M)

no worries, user. In all fairness, I came here back in high school for /b/, back when it was actually enjoyable (whether that be a matter of my immaturity, or /b/ having actually been better back then), so that helped a bit coming over here.
But, yeah, like I said; don't be afraid to filter out content that simply isn't relevant to you. I'm here for tanks, so I avoid threads about rifles and gear and such; it's not for me, I have nothing to contribute, and no reason to get involved. When tank threads come up, I contribute as much as I can, get what I can out of the discussion, and don't engage those who are very obviously trying to start shit. That's not to say things don't get heated when it comes to discussing conflicting viewpoints that are accepted as fact by either side involved, but the hope is that when hard facts are presented, the opposition relents to reason. I've had my mind changed quite a few times, and I'd like to think I've been able to do the same.

Attached: M1A2 Abrams Storng Tank Challenge 2018 Paint(1).jpg (2996x2000, 1.3M)

user, if you're reading this, please understand that I'm coming from the same place you are. Jow Forums has not changed. You have changed. Jow Forums has been a place where people attempt to antagonize others into pointless arguments, for literally its entire existence. You have now realized how stupid this is and how common it is on this site.

I still find genuine conversations with genuine enthusiasts on here but you have to sift through a lot of shit. If that shit sifting is a deal breaker then it's time to move on to greener pastures. If that's what you decide then don't regret it, you'll definitely be a happier person for it.

>become user-mouse
>acquire no ramifications for being rude; as opposed in real life
>inhabit a forum that is populated by social outcasts; inhabit a subforum ruled by spergs
>be surprised when people are cunts
My answer; not trying to prove your point; is that you are fucking new.

It's true that there are no social ramifications for it, but being a rude asshole in any context infects your mentality and affects your moods and how you think. It's not a healthy thing to do as an adult. Life is shitty enough without injecting extra pointless hostility and aggression into it.

True

What was the point of starting this thread? Did you think 'Tee hee! I bet all those anons will lap up my le epic post XD'? Well, congratulations you got yourself a response. You're lucky I'm feeling merciful today, or there would have been hell to pay for the near aneurysm your post caused me. Stay in your dark moist basement and leave my board alone.

Attached: 1547083613452.png (1366x768, 1.51M)

OP
You think?
But my point is that i see this in several places online, so it's hard to attribute that to just Jow Forums or Jow Forums. I just feel that meanness has increased in general in the west. Maybe i'm conflating between people becoming ungrateful and meanness, so meanness was always the same.

i really doubt you've been here as long as i have.
I'm not surprised, i just have a gut feeling people are becoming ungrateful and mean more so than before. I expect some people to be mean here and a certain amount of shitposting, i just don't expect it to be normalized.

I'm actually surprised by the extremely low amount of negative comments and by the quality of the comments here. comfy shit

Attached: 1234323630833.jpg (2000x1318, 259K)

Jow Forums board culture has always been abrasive, with tribalistic mentality and a heaping handful of good ol shit-posting (posting just to put someone/something down without any knowledge or contribution to the discussion).

What I have noticed (lurking since 2010) is that mostly after 2016 the proportion of shit-posting has increased. Anonymous used to be more or less politically neutral, as long as they could bait some big politicians or media into doing something stupid for the lulz, but now all the newfags act like they're on some crusade for God Emperor Trump and that anyone who thinks this prank went a little too far is a shill (as if GET could do wrong, Allah forbid).

It doesn't help that a bunch of the newfags are 16-20y/o Zoomers who are still in the mental state where they think everything is high school and the only way they can make their e-peen bigger is to call everyone out all the goddamn time for every slight typo or blind spot in their knowledge while lacking the self-awareness needed to realize they're just highlighting themselves as obnoxious insufferable newfags. There's a fine line between ribbing someone a little and just shit-posting, but stupid kids think it's all the same both IRL and posting anonymously on a Himalayan basket weaving imageboard.

Attached: 1547423760414.png (457x498, 387K)

point was to confirm/deny my suspicion of reality.
I actually expected 2-3 trhuthful comments and have this thread die within a few hours while mostly getting called names.
I guess that not happening makes me reevaluate my POV.

you don't have to be cynical, not everything is a bait or a plan.
Also it's not really YOUR board, and if you think it is, you gotta accept it's mine too and i've been living here longer.

Attached: 1419655106152.jpg (1920x1080, 418K)

Attached: 1428425486018.jpg (5665x3644, 970K)

Yikes!

Attached: 1529079049821.png (211x286, 131K)

I'd post the webm but nu-mods would ban me.

Attached: 1549515254545.jpg (720x548, 31K)

Why do you tease us like that ? Either post it or don't tell you have it.

Attached: 1550639317186.png (510x524, 235K)

See this makes me think you've just been told "no retard" more often than you'd like and I don't think it's the internets fault. I think it's the retarded things you say that garner that response. Maybe evaluate yourself.

Jow Forums is much softer, less wild, and less antagonistic than it was in the 2005-2006 timeframe. That goes for all boards.

Remember that there are a ton of people who are only on Jow Forums to push an agenda.
>Paid Russians
>Paid Chinese
>(Possibility paid, though I believe the money would have run out after the election) SJWs
>Tarkov shill (mixed in with plenty of kommands that just like the game.

Really the problem is inherent to Jow Forums, you don't know who is a shill and who is just a Russia kommando. So, you don't know who is acting in good faith and who isn't.

Assholes have always been present on the internet. Used to be everyone was a jerk. Now with all the censorship and hugboxes like reddit those assholes seem more abrasive when you come accross them since you got used to everyone being "nice". They werent nice they were deleted or banned.

i always felt that was just a friendly ribbing, but i have to say there are some people who take it to far
>but that’s how we become reddit
i think we’ve already distinguished ourselves from reddit, just by simply knowing what we talk about. there’s nothing wrong with learning, but sometimes it helps to do research before coming onto Jow Forums

Because saying nothing makes stupid people on the fence think the loudest retards are correct, and the problem only gets worse.

See: /v/ being a Jow Forums colony. Years of being spammed nonstop has totally warped the culture of the board and made anyone who disagrees too tired to keep arguing with an endless flood of crossboarders.

Jow Forums needs a copy of global rule 15.

>Jow Forums needs a copy of global rule 15.
This
So fucking much.

I miss 2006, where when someone argued that what you liked was bad, they'd say that this thing they liked is better, and you could have an actual argument over it.

Now it's just
>I like X
>lol X is shit
>Well, what do you like? What's better than X and why?
>lol ur mad

So now no one is allowed to like anything without being shitposted at.

When this site started, "epic win" was unironic and commonplace. Enthusiasm and optimism and liking things was allowed.

Now liking something that isn't sardonic digs or four word joke replies is Reddit.

Not him but just look up ksg suicide or like shuaibiy suicide or something. Come on user

/a/ was ruined by other boards coming there and not adapting.

The site would unironically be better off if "lurk two years before posting" was enforced.

Sage being kill, lurking being nonexistent, and /news/ not staying dead the first time ruined this site.

Sad but true

Mods enforcing the rules has killed all the fun.

If you are the one posting all the aviation pics, you are not the cock gobbler people make you out to be OP.

Well you're an ornery little fella, here's your you! Hope your day goes better, also Jesus loves you!

Wait 'til election season, OP. Lots of 16 year olds calling you a share blue or Soros shill the ment you deviate from the most general opinion. I've actually enjoyed it here once all the election riff raff cleared out.

I do recall someone getting called share blue for posting good news about ND getting constitutional carry a month or so back though, so it's coming.

Everyone is just taking things so seriously on the internet, people used to understand that what happened on the internet didn't matter. Now its an extension of the real world, only without the accountability.

Attached: 1200px-PBY-5A_VP-52_Black_Cat_Dec_1943.jpg (1200x733, 153K)

gen z joining the internet?

Gen Z hasn't had a chance to do much, this is boomer vs boomer. Unironically the real problem was the internet became mainstream and people realised there was now value in controlling the internet.

Your board?President of shitpostastan?

Just watch, the millennials will still get shit on worse than gen z.

Attached: 1549926417991.jpg (640x514, 69K)

OP here, this is what i remember, You can get called out for a reason, but that was a reason.
this is how the remember the board since the first year when it began. nowadays it's exactly how you point it, ppl just act retarded and there's no recourse because they won't listen to arguments.

ya that's me. appreciate it.
I was never accused of gobbling though. I'm also not saying that all people the respond to ME were assholes, that would merit changing myself most likely. i was talking seeing people shit on goodness from other people beside myself for no other reason than to crap on anything nice needlessly. The aforementioned word "vitriol" seems to fit hte bill.

I took a few hours to think about it and i think it's a generation of not growing up without the internet not realizing how much goodness it brought to our lives, and they take it for granted and are ungrateful.
I think maybe it's the new gen Z going through their teens.
I remember i was the happiest lurker back when Jow Forums started.
Now it seems that it's mainstream Jow Forums are unaware of how much goodness Jow Forums offers and people contribute on their own free will while remaining anonymous.

Attached: 1369873158386.jpg (1716x1140, 250K)

Attached: 1373050399415.jpg (2862x1708, 759K)

Attached: 1382181656064.jpg (2710x1800, 1.83M)

Attached: 1390062905654.jpg (2048x1365, 367K)

I always liked this one

Attached: 1390063245286.jpg (1920x1080, 291K)

Attached: 1390457344389.jpg (2400x1924, 640K)

Attached: 1389315813553.jpg (3000x1602, 2.92M)

Attached: 1392813387520.jpg (1600x1107, 446K)

Attached: 1410161956303.jpg (3486x1805, 3.23M)

Attached: 1411070942424.jpg (1920x1280, 864K)

Attached: 49138016_10156888554834393_6258653595298693120_o.jpg (2048x1219, 374K)

Attached: 44900281_2183615121905995_5393573295561900032_n.jpg (960x795, 95K)

There's also sensationalism in the backlash against PC culture, everything under the sun has become larger than life. With online media as robust as it is, it has become easy to find a scapegoat for a group you dislike, and this is especially true for ANY online article source, red or blue, or otherwise. Avoiding getting caught in the middle will even get you called an "extreme centrist" or "extremist moderate" or whatever that hot meme shit is. Be patient and keep a cool head, and human society on the whole will burn out on upholding this behavior eventually. At least until it becomes vogue again.

Attached: 1235238486593x.jpg (3280x2187, 3.58M)

Happens just about anywhere as the population grows. You start out with the old timers, when the community is small, they get to know each other, and there's a certain amount of banter and shit talk, but it's all in good fun. Then you get new people who see all the argie-bargie, don't understand the context and think it's just about being an edgy cunt and shitting on everything.

Attached: 1529020158473.jpg (700x472, 69K)

>Wait 'til election season, OP. Lots of 16 year olds calling you a share blue or Soros shill the ment you deviate from the most general opinion. I've actually enjoyed it here once all the election riff raff cleared out.
>I do recall someone getting called share blue for posting good news about ND getting constitutional carry a month or so back though, so it's coming.
I'm not ready for this. There are enough election tourists still camping on this site that are squatting illegally on slower boards like /m/ and /tg/ that stir shit as often as possible and use that very same parlance to this very day. Some people were introduced to trolling, shitposting, and baiting for (you)s during the 2016 election and have never gotten off seeking that sweet, sweet serotonin high. You see a sick /v/-tard in this very thread slinging shit for replies ( ). At this point, people addicted to getting replies are a larger part of this website than they have ever been, and they're all getting their game face on for 2020, whether they voted for Trump or not. I'm not ready for this.