Is the .308 the best all round build for civilian SHTF

I see that the general Jow Forumsonsensus is that 5.56 is the round to beat when it comes to prepping, but with tons of high powered commercially available. 308 out there and tons a low cost high value .308 rifles out there is it time to change over?

For a non-mobile shtf plan i think .308 offers a lot of advantages with few true liabilities.

Longer range and higher power, and with civies restricted to semi auto more bang per pull makes sense.

Attached: 20190220_001813.jpg (1440x1010, 828K)

So, verdict on Diamondback? Their 308s have been discussed a bit in the last few weeks, but nobody seems to actually own one.

Even in SHTF I think the odds that you're going to take a shot at another human at any distance past 50 yards is pretty much zero. .308 might come in handy for hunting, but so would a 12 gauge and it's a much more versatile tool for that role. I think the advantages of 5.56 for both weight savings and availability in SHTF makes it far superior to .308.

Depends on your pou, if you need a gun that can take game and people, .308 ar10 or an ak variant rifle is superior to an ar in 5.56, if youre just looking for a rifle to deal with people id go with an ar-15 just for how common mags and ammo are

Ive had some experience with sig 716, psa pa10 and scar 17 all shooting side by side. Despite differences id say all are great lead slingers. Fit and finish goes to scar 17

I think the big thing is not about taking those longer shots. While that could become necessary, its more about barrier blind and stopping power meme

With pmags at 15$ and 7.62 wolf at .3cpr im not sure the economics are a huge factor anymore

I think you are a complete idiot. In SHTF point defense is going to be huge. So will counter sniper (all those fuds with bolt guns). So will overwatch. Your biggest advantage is laying somebody out at long range. And there will be a point where if you see somebody coming you can pretty much assume they are hostile.

yeah the walking dead really is wild man

This is actually the most reasonable and realistic SHTF scenario. People watch too much pop culture tv and movies and think everything is immediately going to become a game of PUBG.

>12 lb rifle with light, sling and optic vs 8 lb rifle with light, sling and optic
>Ammo weighs about 2.5 times per round
>External ballistics are the same out to about 300 (vast majority of engagements)
>12 lb rifle is far less maneuverable

I love .308, but let's be honest. There's a reason it fell out of favor as the cartridge of choice for most of the world's militaries.

It's been proven over and over in smaller, 3rd-world countries that have collapsed that the best weapon for civvies is a reliable hi-cap pistol and lots of ammo.

This. I don't know why people think they're going to be raiding the Super Duper Mart in their condor vests and bcm ARs. The actual survivors are going to be outside of town, defending their property and crops and well water. This implies a stockpile of ammo that will be used sparingly. Steel ammo for a PTR is almost the same price as brass 5.56 for an AR.

Attached: wojakshtfpilled.png (722x767, 314K)

Pretending that you are going to be defending a farm in the middle of nowhere is the same as fantasizing about operating in a city.

No one is going to be taking over homesteads when you have to work them. Any abandoned rural property can be taken. Why take on some armed people for the prize of working crops and stealing their water, which can be found almost anywhere outside the deserts?

But...but.... that is the exact reason why I play.

ask that question again when you haven't had clean water in months, and no water at all in two days.

>ask that question again when you haven't had clean water in months, and no water at all in two days.
Cool. That means I will never have to answer that question again in my life, because it will never happen.

must be nice to live in your area. where i live all we've got is literally shitty river water, several hundred miles downstream from the source. boiling is the only option post-collapse. the only alternate source is prickly pear.

Lol your SHTF fantasy is cute but totally unrealistic, you really think a rural community wont band together to fend off eric and dylan teir edgelords like you?

This is true, but in the unlikely event that for a brief moment in time shit gets extra bad but you still have some hope of fighting your way out of it a rifle is nice too.

So in a convoluted way, the pistol is the primary and the rifle is the secondary.

Yeah engagments will consist of maybe a few pot shots if its not a quick ambush and then cheeki breeki back to your camp
Ammo will be too valuable, and without proper medical care its a massive risk to be in a firefight
Plus its not like youre at war. Why risk everything for what that faggot has on him, which you probably cant carry anyway? Nobody is forcing you, and if you need it youre better off ambushing them before they can fight back anyway

>rural community
that is literally what he is describing, dumbo

>fantasizes about sniping lone men when there will be no lone men in hia dumb ass senario
Sure thing bud, its much less retarded now that he is suddenly taking on 20 pissed off fudds.

fucking summerfags gtfo gb2 school for reading comprehension it's only februraryreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Attached: apured.jpg (657x527, 29K)

>I realize im retarded so Ill call him a summerfag
Pottery

Attached: 1475638823100.gif (250x300, 1.07M)

>Just bought 5.56 gun
>Regret not getting 7.62 gun instead

Attached: ab.png (1000x594, 134K)

>Not having binary
>Not knowing of ways to propel it

The meme that 5.56 is the best overall gun is crazy, it does poor tissue damage compared to .30 cal and is not great at hunting. its one of those things that's literally popular because its popular

5.56 is perfectly fine for white tail and under noguns.

stand still so you can tell me about your first hand experience with "poor tissue damage"

Attached: wojakassassin.jpg (1014x1055, 191K)

it's based off a varmint round and guess what you're nothing but a bipedal varmint

>bipedal varmint
OOOOOOOOOH@!$@$!@$

Attached: proxy.duckduckgo.com.gif (472x572, 13K)

With most 5.56 loading you are hoping for fragmentation as expansion is hard to get much of with a .223 diameter bullet, even 70% would only give you roughly .330. think about that compared to .308. its already at .223s expansion. and .7 from that yields a .50 wound channel.

fragmentation is bad when hunting, you get litle bits of copper (or lead) throughout the entire wounded area.

also lets not forget that in the short barrels that are so popular fragmentation doesn't occur at all, especially at range or in 10.5 inch or less in

I clean and process my own kills, and ive never had an ""ice pick"" style injury that you didn't have to blood track. now in the spirit of fairness ive had had those types of .308 injuries as well with poor ammo. with 5.56 however its way more common.

>using fmj for hunting
Sure thing bud and my dad works at Nintendo.

Based and farmpilled

Have you taken the farmpill Jow Forums?

No that actually occurred with a Remington core lock 168gr at about 150 yards.

now i've switch over to solid copper TSX barnes around thats been more reliable

i wouldnt want to stand in front of a .25acp but that dosent mean on going to take one elk hunting with a 40x scope

>tfw when youve never had to track even elk sized game because you rock 200+ grain fragmenting bullets at 2800+ fps

did you forget the part where AR-15 / .223 is a fucking combat platform meant for use against humans? NOT deer? fucking retards i swear.

you too. if .223 is your only caliber you are in real trouble when it comes to killing game. yeah, it can do the job if you're a good shot and lucky. but it's more humane to use something stiffer.

fragpilled

Attached: .50bmg deer terminal impact.gif (695x392, 2.29M)

I've yet to have a bad kill with .223 bonded bullets. Out of a Contender or my A1 clone. Whitetail aren't some magical creature that can slough off anything under .30 cal.

6.5grendel in ar is the better option between 556 and 308 if you had just one rifle. Can hunt with it and get longer range and energy than 556. And still intermediate cartridge

I might try that next season, maybe with a binary trigger and a d60 i can get enough dps to drop the deer in a few seconds

i love my saiga

Attached: 1541796354739.jpg (990x881, 187K)

>shithitsthefan.gif
>run bugoutbag.exe
>tfw three weeks later
>me and my 3 best broskis are doing a supply run for my compound when we come under enemy fire from a building 200 yards away
>I line up that quickscope with my 10.5 inch sbr
>round hits wall just below the window seal
>attacker laughs at the puny 5.56 as he ripes apart my bestie toughstacks41 and drumpfophile8811
>I close the distance by crawling through the brush the full 200 yards
>slip in through unlocked door
>im right behind him, he dosent see me
>pew
> no damage
> pewpewpew
> he turns and notices i'm shooting, seemingly unharmed
>BANNGGGG
>TFW
>1000yardstare.jpeg

Attached: 556 percent face.jpg (334x440, 34K)

In any realistic SHTF, just having any firearm will put you above half the population. Most people are not going to fuck with you once they know they are out classed.
For those who do have a gun, they most likely will also not screw with you. The simple fact that getting a cut during SHTF can be deadly, means that a bullet wound is most likely a death sentence no matter were is came from.

If you are worried about fudds and sniping, most fudd hunters think making a 150 yard shot is impressive. Any intermediate round can is more than lethal at that range.

As far as hunting goes, what game do you expect to be around. Look at any of the recent SHTF events (the Balkans are good examples). Every nut job with a gun shot anything that looked like it was made of meat. Add in those events occurred in places with relatively low gun ownership numbers compared to the US. In an extended American SHTF situation would most likely lead to several extinct species.

Skills that are important during SHTF:
>Medicine
How to treat common wounds. Infections are the direct cause of most deaths related to injury.
>Bushcraft
How to avoid other people. Plain and simple.
>Bartering
Knowing what will be valuable and what skills are needed.

You would be far better off stockpiling any of these rather than ammo:
>Medical supplies
>Food
>Water
>Blankets

i thought it was mostly going to be clearing buildings looking for energy drinks and frying pans

is this how you cope? You know at 200 yards, even cheap m193 out of an sbr doesnt have any appreciable drop and that bullets dont bounce off people right? The guy would have a hole through him and coughing blood at the least

>If you are worried about fudds and sniping, most fudd hunters think making a 150 yard shot is impressive. Any intermediate round can is more than lethal at that range.
Confirmed eastern hunter. It's real though, Ive been asked if my 22lr "could even go that far" as I shot clay targets at 100 yards and when the public range set up another backstop at 200 yards Id get asked if it was 300 or 400 yards

>responding to ironic comment unironically

50gr tsx (expanding) vs fragmenting loads

Attached: 724.png (1046x477, 566K)

>only ~14" of penetration on a monolithic expander
honestly thought it would do more, maybe the heavier ones are better?
Also, try comparing to 77 grain tmk

reference

honestly im surprised at that 10.5 result though not bad at all

Attached: .308.jpg (3177x2448, 3.24M)

>honestly im surprised at that 10.5 result though not bad at all
wow almost as if fuddlore and velocity x barrel length charts don't tell the whole story

fragmentation and velocity are grossly over rated. that's not to say you should step into the realm of retards barrel lengths ie. anything under 10"

Reminder that a wound channel is more or less semetrical, that 10 inch vs 20 inch velocity difference might not seem like much but it is substantial when you account for the total volume of tissue damaged.

Wait, so you're telling me I'm not just going to find SCAR's and ballistic vests just laying on the floor in abandoned homes?

Fuck

>No one is going to be taking over homesteads
You underestimate the amount of desperate retards that live on this planet

don't worry though, a 5.56 wound can be healed from 2 energy drinks and a bandaid

>tfw live in rural leafland where we have hundreds of kilometers of pristine rivers and thousands of lakes

The collapse is gonna be pretty comfy around here. No 'new Canadians' either.

scar 17

dont worry theres time to purchase more guns.

You're a fucking moron. You'll likely never experience a SHTF scenario in which rule of law is entirely abandoned. It's likely that it'll be a natural disaster of some sort and you'll be the biggest fucking dumbass if you start firing at people after such an event. You live in a fantasy world.

>back to your camp
Again, what the fuck actual scenarios do you envision taking place?

I can agree. I wouldn't be too bad, performance and logistics wise. But I would really suggest a good muzzle brake, considering that we're talking about combat here. Just like with Vietnam vs the Berlin Wall scenarios, there might be a time where you would have to use this at close distances. And the more the muzzle jumps on you, the harder it will be to get rounds downrange.

Attached: masodja-detail.jpg (547x843, 262K)

>unironic poster
>Thinks he will never experience shtf
>wont even make camp when the natural disaster based shtf comes

Okay edgelord, we get it. You just want us to think you want to die.

I bet you sit around prepping how to make a camp with all your prepperbois on the weekends too. Pathetic

>The titanic is unsinkable!

Not OP but I'm in south south florida where a fishing pole is far handier for wild game than a firearm. I'd try to get out of here of course because Haitians running rampant (like they do in Haiti) would probably present a nightmare scenario. However, if I got stuck, an AR and a reliable hi-cap 9mm would probably be more than adequate.

You're the type of person I'm most afraid of in a minor shtf. You'll shoot first no matter what just because the rule of law is suspect. You create scenarios where everyone is the enemy and aggressive when in reality you are the only person who is being aggressive and the enemy of everyone else.

If you head up the west coast you can crash with me up in the panhandle user, though I'd probably be splitting back west to my family at that point.
Say I had to hit the road and could only bring one rifle and one pistol along, which should I bring from my collection?
>Chinese SKS
>Tavor
>CZ P07
>Walther P38
>SAA .357 magnum

>No 'new Canadians' either.
It's really amazing how in places like Sudbury, which aren't really that far north, I can go for days without seeing a minority, then in Toronto, only 4 hours south, it's like there's no white people left. China has the "one country two systems" model for administering places like Hong Kong, I wonder if that's what this is like?

P07 and Tavor is what I'd choose if you don't have an AR

You two are the type of faggots that need to realize that sniper crews are in twos. U need a spotter. And a crew of 5.56 dudes advancing doesn't hurt either.

The point is thinking u are going to be a successful one man sniper crew shows how little you know about actually being a sniper.

Both of u would be fucked by any real snipers with a spotter and u are at least equal to anybody with a 5.56

Attached: 1550532592230.gif (600x618, 67K)

I just bought an FAR 6.5 its coming in a few weeks. Im stoked.

6.5 is blasphemy,

.30 cal for the Fud God

I take it that concealed carry allows you to operate as a non-combatant to most people until you need to fuck somebody up I guess.

>Buying a tavor
Why?

X95s are sexy, only wheraboos deny this

Attached: ACOG and RMRsmall-1_zpsmacxmkyl.jpg (1000x563, 517K)

What? No, I want you and everyone else in the impact area to get to safety, not set up camp like an idiot so that you don't risk your own lives, affecting dozens who care about you, and the lives of responders who have to come in and save your dumbass.

Nearly all natural disasters come with some warning. Heed the warnings.

>shit bullpup trigger
>4 moa
>gas blowback into your eyes
>out of battery detonation shrapnel's your face

I already have that in bolt action

Not him, but I didn't realize that EMPs were a natural disaster.

:^)

If we flee shtf, how will we ever live out our fantasy of carrying 50lbs of .308 ammo and another 50lbs of camping equipment in a giant ruck and marching around the wasteland doing supply runs?

I doubt most people will be wearing armor in shtf.

I would argue 9mm, because you can carry lots of it.

>shit bullpup trigger
user dosent even supra sabre
>4 moa
user dosent even know thats a meme, plenty of reviews are getting 1-2 moa with m855
>gas blowback into your eyes
Gasketed port covers dont exist
>out of battery detonation shrapnel's your face
Well you got me there, not like any oob is fun but theyre worse on a bullpup forsure. Still the design keeps shrapnel from the cheekrest

.30 caliber is a Fudd caliber. 6.5mm is scientific perfection.

Every time .308 barrel is ruined by cutting a 6.5 creedmor bore, a deer looses its horns. The Fud god is angry, and he is a wrathful god. Go reload some .30 and sin no more

The chances that you'll be affected by an EMP blast that is capable of such a large scale disaster is incredibly slim. Also, people tend to band together and help one another out in times of crisis not devolve into warring tribes.

Itt: virgin talking about surviving wrol
>warped sense of gun fighting from vidya and larpposting makes them think they’ll win a 1v5 cqb engagement with their trusty Walmart ar and/or mosin
>never been outside, sun blisters skin. Infection ensues
>no social skills, can’t barter with others for goods
>hyperactive incel aggression makes them shoot at first person they see bc WROLLOL. Said person turns out to be point man for the battalion of national guard relief aid
>beta muscles can’t support the mall ninja gear they had previously only used to take bathroom selfies in
>forgets that tendies and Doritos aren’t renewable resources and muh crops won’t grow fast enough to survive the winter
>thinks they’ll just go bandit faction and rob passerby’s of muh land. Doesn’t realize others do possess their nonexistent social skills, and will relay this to the battalion of national guard relief aid
>eventually goes insane and attempts to have sex with leaf blower because lack of electricity has cut off their anime/manga addiction sources. Life threatening traumatic injuries ensue
>forgets that all those sick army fm’s and survival pastebins they torrented are also unavailable without electricity
>anime poisoned mind causes them to go out on “supply run” with sword to save 6.5meme ammo. Gets shot/raped
>actually none of this happens bc they were immediately trampled by mob or mugged/killed by Jamal in first 30min of event

Attached: F9657C22-3D66-4500-BEC1-168B4C5CBBB2.jpg (489x763, 75K)

i have a diamondback db9 and yes, it a small gun.
VERY VERY picky with ammo, you have to find something that works.
also mine broke after 150 rounds and had to take to a gun smith because the trigger reset bar slid out of place and I couldn't take it down because the trigger wouldnt reset

so yeah, its small and cool and it works with the right ammo but god DAMN this thing has been a pain in my ass

cant say anything about the rifles but their handguns should be indicative of their overall QC which doesn't exist

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-10-12-21-08-1.png (1440x834, 456K)

Attached: gucci.jpg (3264x2448, 1.5M)