Shotgun sights could be better

So why don't shotguns have a rear sight like snub nose revolvers? One that lines up with the bead on plain barrels so that you can have a real sight picture when using slugs or buckshot, but it wouldn't interfere or get in the way when you have a long barrel and try to shoot clays/birds.

Attached: 103.jpg (3968x2976, 1.6M)

Some do, slug guns typically have better sights than that though because slug.

Really? I've never seen any like that. What brands do that?

Look at the top of the receiver of most standard not tacticool shotguns.

>not reflex shooting with both eyes open
I knock the beads off of my shotguns, but I grew up blasting at birds and sqirrels and garbage without ever really learning how to aim properly. Eventually I just got gud and outshoot formally trained marksmen with shotguns and pistols inside proper aiming range though my ability to shoot rifles or pistols outside of reflex range is kind of meh.

I believe you if by reflex range you mean like 5 yards

More like 30-40 yards with shotguns, 15-20 with pistols.

>outshoot "formally trained marksmen" up to 40 yards

Attached: 5544266844.jpg (677x1024, 58K)

>he does bullseye target shooting and talks shit about redneck point shooting.

Some people shoot bullseyes with gucci ARs and scopes, some people blast at squirrels rabbits and birds with shotguns and cheap shit pistols. If you can't imagine a situation where being able to quickly point and shoot moving targets inside 40 yards is useful I don't know what to tell you bud.

Not talking shit about the usefulness, talking shit about your ability to do it. Better have some USPSA wins or something to back it up.

Nothing so formal for pistols, but I've shot with high-speed low-drag racegun types and held my own. I've medaled at ATA state comps, and placed 80 somethingth at nationals. Did it with a Mossberg 500 reaping the salty tears of boomers with shotguns that cost more than my car.

I noticed this while Hickock45 was comparing the Remington and mossberg shotguns. Mossbergs just have bead sights while remingtons have peep sights.

When i took hunters safety i was told to point with the shot gun and aim with the rife.

Maybe cuz you dont need sites on a shotgun.

When you are shooting birds or clays, you don't want a standard sight. Take the time to line up and the bird is long gone.

There are lots of bead sights where you line up a rear bead with a front bead. These are simple, quick, and what I shoot best with for upland game hunting

Yeah, but I'm talking about a groove milled into the receiver. It wouldn't interfere with wingshooting because it doesn't stick out anywhere, but can be used for slugs when shooting hogs.

Shotguns I can believe (posibly because I don't know shit about shotguns), but pistols sounds ludicrous considering the history of pistol shooting in the US. Guy named Jelly Bryce was supposed to be able to and tried to teach the FBI to do so only to suck and fail. Then a guy named Jack Weaver started whipping ass in competition by *gasp* using the sights and he could teach this method to basically everyone and it worked.

Attached: jack-weaver-bd9ab539-4b63-4cb6-b5e2-8d001a50a48-resize-750.jpg (750x438, 69K)

you can just look down the rib or the valley between the barrels on a sxs.

There's a huge difference between shooting shotguns at moving targets (clays or birds) vs. shooting pistols or rifles. You point a shotgun. Your aim pistols and rifles.

If you weren't a shotgun virgin this would be immediately obvious to you. Like said, you just don't have time to aim sights against a moving bird or clay.

Keep in mind that in that video Hickock was comparing TACTICAL shotguns in that video. That's the minority of shotguns in general. A tactical shotgun will have sights. So will a "slug gun" which is specialized for firing slugs. Otherwise, your standard hunting or clays shotgun will have a simple bead, or perhaps nothing at all.

My 590a1 has ghost rings sights. Am I doing it right?

For a combat/tactical/defensive shotgun, yes.
For anything else, no.

That was the intent. With an 18.5" barrel in all black it isn't much of a hunting gun. That doesn't stop me shooting skeet though, I get some odd looks when I do but it's too much fun to pass up

Attached: 20190209_195839.jpg (1300x3852, 3.03M)

Shooting clays is great practice no matter what gun you have.

What about normal sights tho

Excuse the sock

Attached: IMG_20190220_205449.jpg (4160x3120, 3.24M)