What is her replacement going to look like?

What is her replacement going to look like?

Attached: M1A2 Abrams APS.jpg (2152x1066, 472K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1GhSPf9D8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The same thing but more shit on the outside.

This. Just keep sticking more stuff to it to fit the role it's in. Not like we really need a replacement anytime soon, it still gets the job done fine.

And 2 times more expensive because fuck taxpayers

Attached: M1A2 Sep.jpg (990x567, 181K)

Pic related hopefully. More realistically it'll have a 3 man crew with bustle mounted autoloader feeding a 130/140mm cannon, lower profile, next-gen armor package +APS, and a new turbine.

Attached: FCS.png (686x412, 115K)

If its not hovering all is lost.

Attached: 1512284344952.jpg (1114x1106, 1.4M)

>Driving through a desert town blasting sand everywhere on my hover tank

Attached: the-violence-has-escalated-28366097.png (500x593, 154K)

>Laser cannon
>Zero machine guns.

The fuck is this shit? Do the people designing this thing actually think that secondary weapons on tanks are for wack-a-moling enemy soldiers like a video game?
The point of HMGs on tanks is to suppress infantry and penetrate cover without destroying buildings, how are they going to do that with a weapon that's silent and has poor damage potential against solid materials?

The gist of it was the main cannon had 2 calibers, a larger airburst type and a smaller antiarmor munition. I can try to find the full article for you for it if you're interested.

>she

Her

Attached: M1 Abrams shot.jpg (1000x714, 416K)

Hey, what is this bit?

Attached: Untitled.png (417x203, 113K)

Tank development has stagnated so it will be some time before that is a thing

The penis.

>Tank development has stagnated

Attached: T-14.jpg (2250x1452, 1.55M)

That thing's a piece of junk.

Attached: Iraq 021.jpg (1600x1200, 468K)

Didn't this one the gunner survive or some crazy shit like that?

At least it's not Cojone Eh

That's nice but not even Russia is going to buy T-14s. They're buying upgraded T90s instead.

If you have a laser weapon then you don't need machineguns. At that point of proliferation nobody is going to care about the difference between boiling a person's head off versus just making him blind; war is just hell and all.

Why are you still going on about sound as a method of suppression? Not every enemy soldier is a mindless monkey that can only react to immediate stimuli. If an enemy has experienced entire squads becoming permanently blind all of a sudden, hair set on fire and having skin craters all over from flash-boiling blood, with absolutely no warning whatsoever, the omnipresent fear and paranoia will be far greater than anything an MMG or HMG can generate.

The same, but with this on it

Attached: 15371947286563.webm (640x360, 1M)

that thing took a proper beating though

Attached: blood asp Mech Assault.jpg (461x309, 49K)

Attached: 1200px-Merkava-Mk4m-whiteback01.jpg (1199x874, 145K)

an even worse PoS. Even Saddam's tanks can penetrate the lower front hull.

I really hope that extremely autistic user we had last thread can come back to this one and screech for two days straight about how the "M1A3" is not the replacement for the "M1A2" and how it's *actually* the "M1LGBTQ" or whatever the fuck thing they literally made up

that's a mount for a fixed, remotely-operated M2 machinegun. it's a way of giving the gunner a second coax machinegun, but in .50 so he can shoot through/at things that the .30 can't

I Imagine something like the Merkava or the T-14..
that is to say a tank that shares a "common chasis" with a tracked APC, and thus "saves money".

However a simple a task this might sound I expect it's going to be fucked up somehow like the JSF was.

Really what they should replace it with is an Abrams that uses a more fuel-efficient engine/transmission, or a tank/IFV that can be transported by air (not air-dropped necessarily) or disassembled and put into a shipping container and then reassembled in an FOB or port or whatever.

>the main focus should be on logistics and less on "min-maxing for fulda-gap fantasies "

>that is to say a tank that shares a "common chasis" with a tracked APC, and thus "saves money".
pic related
>Really what they should replace it with is an Abrams that uses a more fuel-efficient engine/transmission
Interestingly enough there was an replacement turbine called the LV100-5 that was much more fuel efficient, powerful, and smaller than the current engine from the 70's. It was cancelled after the Crusader program fell through, though.

Attached: 25155120a.jpg (500x633, 87K)

Attached: Demolisher II Heavy Tank.jpg (500x201, 21K)

Would they start selling Abrams with deactivated weaponry after replacing them like they did older vehicles?

>I Imagine something like the Merkava
If you're talking about logistics the Merkava is absolutely out of the question. Its way too wide and heavy and its CG is set too high for rail transport.

Attached: basedtank.jpg (845x492, 139K)

Winrar

Nah, no gay stuff

>"Infantry are optional for this mission"

Attached: when_newfags_shit_up_k.png (950x768, 1.41M)

should the US really be expecting anything resembling tank on tank combat anytime within the next few years?

Impressive

A modernized T-35A

with lasers
and dragon dildo bayonets

I've always fuckin loved the guy on the right, looks like modern day Afrika Korps

Last of its kind, tanks are obsolete so no reason in creating a new one.

no vehicle currently exists that can provide infantry support or direct fire even half as good

The Bradley can

M1A3 already been announced, friendo

I only mentioned it because I knew it shared it's hull with an APC or IFV variant, and that it's easier to do that sort of thing from the start rather than somehow engineer a tunnel around a rear-mounted engine.

Putting the engine in front for an MBT is generally not a great Idea.

Why not?

That's because Russia has the military budget of France but needs to keep up appearances

It greatly increases the size of the tank while reducing the amount of protection on the front hull. Contrary to popular belief, the Engine block does not provide armor against modern AT munitions.

the bradley has a chaingun and TOW missiles
the former is incapable of providing the sufficient amount of direct fire needed to fill the role of a tank, the latter is both expensive and has a very low shot count
there is no substitute for a cannon

the M2 bradley is also far inferior in armor protection
>but ATGMs kill both easily
ATGMs are not the only, or even most prevalent, threat on the battlefield
RPG-3s, RPG-7s, RPG-21s, IEDs, and land mines are far more common threats which the M1 can handle but not the bradley

When they have a military that is larger than the big European 3 combined I don't think its keeping up appearances anymore.

When you subtract all the rusty 1980ies hardware Russia isn't as scary. They can keep upgrading a small portion of the Soviet arsenal but they cannot afford to procure new weapon systems.

ding ding ding we have a winner

>he fell for the APS kills infantry meme

Attached: m1a2c_yuma_4.png (729x618, 974K)

but that's wrong

>her

Her

Attached: Abrams in Lithuania.jpg (1200x758, 839K)

>her
>with that bulge

>infantry are optional for this mission because muh APS
>enemy infantry runs up and throws a blanket over your tank
wat do now

?

I remember that one. Not sure who i was rooting for desu

oh wow. those ISIS T-14s sure are making waves in sandyland, arent they?

thats pretty much what desert storm was.

Why are there no twin cannon tanks IRL

I want Mammoth Tanks circa Tiberian Dawn to be a real thing.

mexican

>What is her replacement going to look like?
It better look like a love child of M4 Sherman and M1 Abrams and call it M5 Sherams

youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1GhSPf9D8
>tfw you will never fire depleted uranium rounds into iraqi tanks again.

Attached: 1502474094582.jpg (358x350, 128K)

is that the wind coat APS ?

Attached: p1723387.jpg (945x1260, 158K)

Bolo.

Attached: bolo-mark-xxxiii.jpg (480x360, 38K)

tanks are male
tanketts are female

>The gist of it was the main cannon had 2 calibers, a larger airburst type and a smaller antiarmor munition.
How is that going to fulfill the role of suppression against concealed/covered enemy infantry?

>Why are you still going on about sound as a method of suppression?
Because the sound of gunfire and large caliber rounds striking or passing nearby is the most effective way to pin an enemy that you can't actually see and 99.999999999% of the time you will not be able to see the enemy because real life is not a video game and enemies won't be popping periodically popping their heads up over rates and walls so that you can headshot them with a laser.
A weapon that the enemy do not know is being fired at them is absolutely useless for suppression because combat experience and good leadership will quickly desensitize infantry to the fear that a gun MIGHT be pointed at them, in the same way that infantry learn not to think about whether there might be a sniper around the corner or a landmine ahead of them.

>no vehicle currently exists that can provide infantry support or direct fire even half as good

Attached: 1484443938236.jpg (1275x768, 185K)

>How is that going to fulfill the role of suppression against concealed/covered enemy infantry?
airburst grenades over their heads, duh

Too tailormade for Israels local realities. The need for LIC makes it a kinda bad tank for regular conflicts where you need the fattest armor in the front of the turret and the glacis.
>I got no clue about different tank doctrines
ftfy buddy

You could just shoot a HE round at the position right now and achieve similar results. The point of secondary HMG armaments is that you're not wasting your main gun ammo to shoot at where the enemy MIGHT be to keep their heads down and can save it for when you know exactly where the enemy is and be sure of casualties.
HMGs can also cover a lot more territory in a shorter amount of time without causing massive collateral damage to structures.
Not having some sort of machine gun renders that tank design unable to do half the job its supposed to perform.

>The Afrika Korps investigates a destroyed Abrams.

look at the helmet!!!

>A weapon that the enemy do not know is being fired at them
Okay then. Laser turret has infrared and visible wavelength modes.

When the vehicle doesn't want to be noticed too soon it shoots infrared and when it wants the enemy infantry to stop being cunts it turns to rave show mode.

>When the vehicle doesn't want to be noticed too soon it shoots infrared and when it wants the enemy infantry to stop being cunts it turns to rave show mode.
That's not how lasers work.

always wanted to read bolo, never did though.

Helps measure how much the barrel is drooping.

Tanketts are traps

Summon the unholy hell of gunship 20mm on the enemy surounding you and/or on you

Nap, I guess

Attached: cnc3mammoth.jpg (1920x1200, 1.6M)

I'd fuck it either way and so would you don't lie

Attached: Commies.jpg (480x691, 61K)

I've read one of them. It wasn't very good compared to most military scifi.

No idea if these things are actually good, but they sure look nice.

Just do what they did in Korea and machinegun the fuck out of each other's tanks.
Nick Moran showed the fighting compartment of an Abrams, and pointed out that it holds some ridiculous amount of coax ammo, like 6000 rounds or thereabouts.