When the fuck will the high magnification meme ever die?

>be me
>go to local big bogs sporting goods store
>ask to see low power (1.5-4x) optic for my CZ527 in .223 "for woods hunting, max 100 yards" - basically a scout rifle
>"well all those low-power scopes are more for ARs, let me show this 3-9x, it's the best all-around and works great for woods hunting"
What the fuck? 3x for woods hunting? If you present a rifle on a deer at woods hunting ranges and you're limited to 3x, all you're gonna see is a patch of fur. 2x is a bit better, but... I know it's his job to sell me the biggest and most expensive stuff, but a fucking 3-9x for

Attached: mQe2eY0_d.jpg (640x599, 30K)

>why
Because a lot of people start shooting using optics, and otherwise find they are 'better' when using high-magnification toobz.
Also, not enough field experience and too much range hogging. They get good groups with glass and so they stick with it. Finally, our monkey brains will never be able to get rid of its ingrained bigger-number-equals-bettet aspect.

3-9s have been a staple for average hunters doing every distance 10-300 yards.
3X is absolutely fine up close.
What I dont understand are the locals here with huge 14x cheap optics who I know cant shoot past one hundred yards. Waste of money on junk since they pay the same amount as they would for a lesser magnification optic and normally end up with a crappier optic because of it.

Europe got it right, they've been using LPVOs for almost 70 years for hunting optics.
>German post is actually pretty good on a woods gun as well

>I can't think a single time when I wish I had more zoom, but everyday there are times when less would be nice.
Fuck, I even got this on my spotting scope. I convinced myself to get a 20-60x vortex, when really a 27x with LER would have done just as well if bot better.
>They didn't even have a 1.5-4x that wasn't some AR super tacticool illuminated ballistic reticle nonsense.
I use a 1x prism scope for my SBR, mainly because I never plan on shooting it past 200yds. I generally prefer irons.

>Will gun hobbyists ever see the light or will they be yanked around by the 3-9 meme?
It is easy to learn to shoot when you can see what you're aiming at. For casual or new shooters, I've got no problem with them spending money on scopes since mostly they'll just do bench shooting. For more rugged use, I just hope people would realize that heavy scopes aren't super practical.

Well if you're shooting a deer you'd want to properly hit and end your target in a single shot.
The clearer the picture the better the shot. I shoot a lot of coyotes and I'd like to actually hit my target at 300-400m so it's important to have any kind of assistance I can get.

Attached: image062.jpg (576x324, 19K)

Local range has a rental 9mm ruger pcc with a 3-6x scope.

Literally for what purpose?

Attached: pcc_wat.jpg (4032x1984, 907K)

Oh sorry, forgot to mention I use an ar with 1-6x but usually dont need past 4 unless it's some deep-woods kinda stuff.

>using some cuck yuro optic with no fat bell end for maximum light gathering

This is why you’ll never shoot big deer. They move during basically twilight and thus the more light gathering your glass is, the better you can shoot in low light.

3-9 is standard because it’s good from 20-300 yards without really sacrificing much. I hunt innawoods with a shooting lane of 150yds. Some shitty 2x optic would be useless.

Probably to teach people who are renting the fundamental use of a firearm without relying on them to properly be able to use the sights. Keeps them from shooting the ceiling.

This is a good point as well. Light gathering and field of view is very important.

3-9 is pretty much the worst magnification range from my experience. It is only good if ou can just afford a scope with 3x zoom.
In the end it all comes down to the field of view and I wouldn't take something without a 1 in front of it into the brush. High magnifications are nice for field judging, though.
For daytime forest use my go-to is a Swarovski 1-6x24 because it's nice and light and for the rest a Swarovski 2-16x50 which is remarkably bright and has a nice magnification range.

It's the same shit in photography, old men buy only telephoto lenses. Market is filled with shitty affordable telephotos and mirror lenses.

Attached: big_56a7ca6a28e8c0241d002c3b.jpg (800x514, 35K)

My AR had an EOKek. I regularly shoot 800+ with my hunting .30h8 and it has a 4x12 on it. 4 is a bit much for sub 50 yard hunting, but 3x might as well not exist. It is only slightly more magnified than the naked eye, but that’s just my 2 cents. 3x9s are the best do-all scopes if you’re not worried about shooting fast.

But having a big number makes your bullets hit hard, just ask the Floppies!

are you guys fucking retarded

If you’re close enough to the point where all you’d see is fur with 3x then you can just some canted iron sights.

Just politely decline and ask for the one you prefer it's not like they can deny what the customer wants

I still don't get the "if you see your target bigger/more clearly it's bad" meme

It's not about that, it's about field of view
Even 3x has no field of view at

Attached: VikorCoy.jpg (640x662, 30K)

have you ever used a 3x? Even on 6x, my small lens diameter lpvo gives a plenty large enough picture at 10 yards for use.
I havent seen the boomers youre describing.