The Army isn't on the hunt for any old rifle for it'sNext Generation Squad Weaponprogram — it's looking to spark a...

>The Army isn't on the hunt for any old rifle for it'sNext Generation Squad Weaponprogram — it's looking to spark a "revolution in small arms" on par with what the iPhone did to consumer electronics.

what the fuck does this even mean?

taskandpurpose.com/army-next-generation-squad-weapon-iphone-lethality?utm_content=bufferf85c6&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=tp-buffer

Attached: 980x.png (980x514, 203K)

It means the same thing every year. Nothing.

>guys we did it
>we invented a whole new weapon for your soldiers
>its called The iGun and its revolutionary
>we have the all new 1:8.125 twist with a totally resolutionary match grade steel alloy never before seen made of chromium, a highly chemically resistant metal with molybdnum a rare earth metal designed for the highest of heat thresholds
>coupled with your new gun we've included premium 63gr ammo unlike any you've ever seen. Its top of the line perfect penetration couple with its exemplary expansion gives you 2x the performance of your previous ammunition
>this new weapon system can be had starting at 1999.99
>
>*Barrel not included, some assembly required.

reminds me of a brickarms creation

It means they're trying for the integration of electronics, particularly ballistic computers, into service small arms again like the OICW days. Who knows, computers aren't nearly as bulky as they were back then, that about-average-red-dot-sized sight on that 3D model mockup is supposed to be it.

Next they’ll start adding wifi connectivity or some other retarded shit. I like my guns being unhackable

We already have bdc reticles. That auto shooting aimbot shit is a fucking meme for a service weapon. 90% of the time you cant see shit. First the 6.8 800m min engagement OVERMATCH and now this? The fuck happened. It's like some rangefag from the early 20th century is running procurement.

DESIGNED IN CALIFORNIA
MANUFACTURED IN CHINA

We G11 now

>First the 6.8 800m min engagement OVERMATCH and now this?
The idea is that it has to be able to reliably defeat Sino-Russian body armor. The advantage of the 5.56 is that it is small and so you can carry lots of ammunition, which is good for volume-of-fire. But if your shots can't penetrate, then you're just wasting ammo.

^
This

That render either looks like something someone threw together in sketchup in an afternoon, or they already have working prototypes and that's a demake.

Note the focus on rails over any form of sights, and the non-scope that's tacked onto it.
I'm betting every part of that gun is designed for video eyepiece combat.

Tech is far further along than what you're saying.
We had 0.25" screens with 2560x2560 resolution back in 2011, by now I suspect 1" screens hitting 10k easily.
No matter how close, that's the limit of human detection.
Throw a sealed telefocal lens module on instead of your scope, you've now got a perfect sight picture without needing to bring the gun to your eye. Your head has the freedom to move while you still have pinpoint precision.
Forget bdc's, this will zoom in and show you exactly where the rounds will land, with no interaction.
Shooting at something 50 feet away? It zooms to what you're comfortable with.
Shooting 500 feet away? Same thing. Whatever you need.
zoom increases through the trigger pull for subconscious adjustment.

...Now, this is all bullshit, and we totally don't have working versions of this system.
So what really matters certainly isn't if soldiers actually end up liking a system like this, that just fucking works, something that's been tested endlessly for the last 8 years.
Not important at all.

You dont actually and you completely missed the point. You don't know where to fucking zoom since most combatants aren't spotted until theyre dead.

Fucking dipshit desk jockey.

>what the fuck does this even mean?
is this a serious question?

It was serious when I handed your mom a $20 bill but she refused and shaid she'd do it for free.

why not take the research and design work of a G-11 and just make it use an electric optic?

there you've got a futuristic as fuck weapon, the bundeswehr was accepting the G11 in the 1990's and only pulled out because East Germany collapsed and they didn't have the money to rearm completely

OK Sean Connery, you can take your meds and go to sleep now.

Fuck it I'm going in with all the memes, Marine style.
>6.5mm cased telescoped ammo
>bullpup style, Steyr ACR style
>electro-thermal-chemical assisted propellant
>tungsten carbide flechette for utter plate fucking, something like 5000+ fps

>brickarms
based

>Your firearm's update has failed!
>Reverting to previous firmware. Please wait, your firearm will remain inoperable until it automatically restarts.
>BSOD

Attached: 1548019867363.gif (382x308, 1.47M)

They are talking about gun phones.

Attached: Gunphone.jpg (3200x1680, 195K)

Maybe they mean self adjusting digital sights that auto measure range drop and wireless weather(wind) data from satellites to improve accuracy of soldiers.

Because it's a shit idea and isn't realistic.
>head shot at 5yds slow trigger pull
>autozoom 500x bow you just see hair which nay or may not be badguys. Swaying magnifies 5p0x so you can't fucking make the shot
Its some shit an autist noguns made up lmao you guys buy everything. Only thing that's true is army wants to pen armor which is retarded as theyll just roll out better armor within 5yrs anyway. Not to mention HE is highest killer in ear and extremity hits IE not protected are also more comkon than good center hits from people using cover.

Its like some pog faggot thinks war is a square range and wrote the requirements.

>just got through mag dumping toward a building with enemy combatants inside
>shaking with combat adrenaline
>spot movement flanking right nearby in front of a field
>bad guy is right in front of me
>creeping
>hasnt noticed me yet
>150 yards?
>Ive got this
>try to line up shot
>gun is zooming in and out wildly in my optic as it swings on and around the area immediately around hostile and the field behind him
>keep over correcting and losing visual everytime optic goes 10x on the field then refocus on 4x
>get frustrated
>start point shooting
>he turns
>goes prone
>3 to my legs and groin
>fast forward 2 minutes
>getting really cold now
>pass out
>die
>"fuck smartguns^tm"

Attached: Clearlytheymeanthis.jpg (519x346, 24K)

It means they're gonna funnel a half billion dollars to some contractors, then cancel the program and maybe buy some slightly nicer AR-15s

just like they did the last ten fucking times

>it's a real screamer

I'm a complete newfag to guns and I must lurk moar, but I'm genuinely curious. Is the joke that these are the stats of an existing rifle, or are they exceptionally bad stats?

That's a PVC dildo that smells like ramen

Defense generally always loses against offense. An increase in cartridge energy output and penetration will be harder to counter with thicker armor. With ceramics, there is probably a point where its fragility can be taken advantage of by a more powerful cartridge than 5.56; so as long as it passes some energy threshold (I won't claim to know what) then it can be rest assured of being able to compromise and break the plate in a few hits where 5.56 might not be able to.

When armored exoskeletons come into the picture this won't change for ceramic plates. More sturdy materials such as good old steel must be used, but that's a big weight penalty and thus a bigger engineering challenge. This will most hurt countries that do not have the technology or economic base to make it happen, though really this should only apply to Russia because China certainly doesn't have a problem with having enough money.

>defense generally always loses against offense

not true at all. The history of warfare has been a constant oscillation between defense domination and offense domination. Currently we've been in offensive domination since ww2. Though modern Armor has slightly moved the pendulum for the richer nations that can outfit most troops with them. We honestly have no idea how the next war will play out and how tactics adapt.

Still, it seems reasonable to speculate that if your troops are equipped with 6.8 weapons that can reliably penetrate their opponent's body armor, but your opposing force is still using 5.56/5.45 weapons which cannot reliably penetrate, then your troops will be at a significant advantage in any firefight.

My nigga

Winning firefights isn't about hitting the enemy with your small arms, it's about surpressing them to the point where they're overrun or otherwise fixed into a point that's advantageous to you.

The overwhelming majority of casualties inflicted will be by HE, air and platoon/company level weapons. The rifle has its place in counterinsurgency warfare, but if you're going up against similarily equipped troops then your rifle isn't high on what's going to influence the outcome of that - assuming all parties have a similar effective range and volume of fire.

>it's about surpressing them to the point where they're overrun or otherwise fixed into a point that's advantageous to you.
But in order to suppress the enemy, the enemy has to be scared of what you're shooting. If the opposing troops know for a fact that what you're shooting is unlikely to kill or even injure them because their body armor is just that good, then they won't be afraid.

No trooper will ever be so confident in their armor that they hop up and run into enemy fire even if it's fucking 9mm, you slack jawed mong.

anytime someone tries to replace the m16 the army claims their rifle is not good enough. Then the army replaces the m16 with the m16 and claims improvement

Nothing, they're just gonna keep using AR's

>No trooper will ever be so confident in their armor
The DoD seems to believe that what the Sino-Russians have procured, or will procure in the near future, is good enough that 5.56 simply will not be scary to their troops.

>even if it's fucking 9mm
Let's examine this statement. The MP5 used to be the gold-standard of small arms, especially for small, elite units like the Navy SEAL's or Special Air Service. Now, most units of that type have switched to short-barreled 5.56 carbines. What prompted this change? The proliferation of body armor capable to reliably stopping 9x19mm rounds. Now 5.56 is falling victim to the same trend because it can no longer be depended on to reliably put down bad guys.

it means "your rifle better be fucking better than an ar-15 with cool add ons"

>No trooper will ever be so confident in their armor that they hop up and run into enemy fire even if it's fucking 9mm
Boy you're going to be in for a real surprise when they do. Not that anyone is even talking about running into enemy fire. But of course, it's very American to go in half assed and only make changes when everything is already tits up.

Attached: 844599526.jpg (1000x643, 86K)

yeah but this time they're gonna replace it with an AR chambered in some new 6.8mm round, which is exciting!

I mean except for the fact that the program is gonna get cancelled after about a year of development, with no production to show for it

but other than that

This program only exists to make the adoption of the LSAT unfeasible. Fuckers poisoned it with a bullshit rifle and 6.8mm just like I predicted.

Should have gotten the low hanging GPMG/LMG first you ignorant bastards.

Flechettes are the best.

Yea but how does normal optics not lead to this same situation? Congrats you are shaking enough you cant focus on your acog and you died. That drone over there that doesnt shake and vaporized you faster than you could line up your shitty glass optic. You died.
Maybe you just suck.

having a magnification that isnt constantly adjusting and refocusing is a good start. Imagine playing a video game that constantly zooms in and out except youre looking through a small tube instead of a screen that has a character with robot steady hands

>not true at all
Please tell me you are just pretending to be retarded. The amount of energy needed to increase a rounds lethality is far, FAR more efficient than increasing the defensive ability of something to withstand it. have you never heard of the square cubed law before or something? Please don't talk until you have graduated from high school you mongoloid.

*teleports behind drone*

What the fuck, do you think you're gonna shoot a drone out of the fucking sky in combat?