Imagine an alternate timeline in which the Clinton-era Assault Weapons Ban had no sunset provision and remained in...

Imagine an alternate timeline in which the Clinton-era Assault Weapons Ban had no sunset provision and remained in force to the present day. What would the gun scene look like in 2019?

Attached: post-6453-1188750842.jpg (700x525, 39K)

Gone. If it hadn't expired there wouldn't have been a black rifle renaissance, and there would be nothing left but fudds with durr rifles and goose getters.

it would suck
fuck man. i don't even like ars but i'd sell my sister for one if the ban occurred before i could stock up on rifles/mags/ammo

>several hundred dollar gi 30 round mags
>most new guns would have thumbhole stocks
>surplus market sees prices rise much earlier than in our timeline
>more wacky designs

The gun scene would be like that of California where no one gives a fuck about the law. It would be more underground

More creative. Less standardized. But also much gayer.

Attached: 1549423532243m.jpg (801x1024, 129K)

Mini Garand

The problem is that Californianscan just drive to Nevada or Arizona and buy non-cucked parts there. If the national AWB was in effect, nobody would be making those parts at all.
Ruger already makes a Mini Garand in 5.56 that takes detachable magazines.

Mini-14's.
Mini-14's everywhere.

Jow Forums is too young to remember that sites like Arfcom were just as active during the ban. The gun scene looked much like it does today only no bayonet lugs or flash hiders and more expensive hicap mags. This was my ban-era AR. The whole ban was an joke, not a noose around the gun community.

What really changed the gun scene was people realizing the AR could be used as a modular gun platform (back then your AR would be an AR, not a collection of Gucci parts designed to give you 0.001% more operating capability,) and that you could put railz on everything.

Attached: DSC_0142.jpg (4608x3072, 3.64M)

Some possibilities:
>High-quality M1 Carbine clones made by a major manufacturer.
>Same with domestically-made SKSes, maybe chambered in 5.56

Without the sunset clause, they would have never managed to pass it in that form in the first place.

Tell me more, oldfag friend. I want to hear of the 90s and earlier, what gun culture was like back then.

Tell more tales old friend, pls

Attached: 5CD7C118-E7CE-4F4A-9A56-B9306A79FFA9.gif (400x224, 954K)

>SKSes, maybe chambered in 5.56
Kys

I would be happy as we would have cheap saiga and imports again

It would still be better than Australia

What do you want to know? There isn't a lot to say, really. I joined AK-47.net (rip) in 1999. Off the top of my head:

>Most military style rifles were freely available but they came without flash hiders and bayo lugs
>Came with fixed stocks or folding stocks pinned/welded in place
>AKs were cheaper and had more variety than ARs
>922r questions were everywhere since a lot of the market was converting thumbhole AKs using milsurp furniture.
>ARs weren't see as modular as they are now. You'd buy an AR from a company and change some of the small parts, like a trigger or optic.
>Freshly imported milsurp was dirt fucking cheap. $49 Mosins, $99 SKSs, $89 Nagant revolvers, $119 K31s, etc.)
>Double stack pistols were all sold with 10-round magazines new, and as a result there wasn't as much variety as today
>Preban mags were more expensive than new mags, but it wasn't insane
>Preban rifles were considerably more expensive. Things like Polytech 84s and Colt Sporters brought real money
>1911s weren't made by everybody (this isn't a ban thing, just a time thing)
>There was lots of prepper/combat/fighting gun talk, but it wasn't OPERATORS OPERATING OPERATIONALLY like it is today
>Glocks and 3rd gen S&Ws everywhere

Really, the ban wasn't a HUGE deal. When it sunset it just meant you could now put some features back on your guns and mags were cheaper.

Instead of /arg/, we would have a Mini 14 General and the SKS/ Saiga sporter would be the new AK.

>People complaining about Clinton and Janet Reno
>Waco, Ruby Ridge, Oklahoma City, and Columbine talk
>Liberals weren't as liberal and conservatives weren't as conservative
>No Pmags
>Major difference: pistol variants of rifles weren't legal
>Only Kel-Tec made a pocket polymer pistol
>Sig's lineup was small and not full of memes
>Low-budget TV shows and action movies had hilariously ban-compliant guns, like commandos going around with 16" Uzi barrels

Saiga/Vepr guns were the higher-end AKs. SKSs were the cheap option before the WASR-10 became a thing. I don't recall Mini-14s actually getting any more talk back then than they do today. It was always the truck/farm gun. Only back then you might buy one because it was cheaper than an AR.

This. If there were no sunset clause gun grabbers would be going after all semi-autos, then "sniper rifles" and then keep going until you're only left with black powder muskets.

it seemed like surplus ammo was more available and cheaper compared to modern prices, were you able to go shooting more often as a result?

The pencil barrel Mini 14's used to go for $400 back in the 90's and 2000's. I think the price might have gone up after the redesign but there was a time when they were cheaper than the AR.

Surplus ammo was really cheap. Really, really cheap. I didn't own anything in those calibers back then.

They still do sell for $400 used.

ive seen ads from back then selling surplus 556 and 9mm, those werent common?

was there a big presence by the militia movements on the 90's interwebs? I know after Oklahoma City they kind of fell off but I'd figure there was still a lot of militant rhetoric in the gun community (for obvious reasons).

More import bans that would include bolt actions (because boot-and-sickle cucks hate stuff like pic related) and Remington becoming a monopoly. And with the same stupid manufacturing techniques too.

Attached: 3139.jpg (1280x534, 220K)

>Really, the ban wasn't a HUGE deal
SHALL

There were some ar’s but mostly the common mans rifle was
>mini14
>Sks
>m1 garand
>m1 carbine
>30-30 levergats
>308 30-06 bolties

don't be naive; they'll come for the black powder muskets too

I hate these, and the people who own them in cuck states.
It's a sign of defeat.

>"I hate people for buying the most effective rifle they can buy in their state, and also the company that gives them the ability to buy it."
Then I hate you and your semiauto AR because "it's a sign of defeat" on the NFA that it isn't full auto. Go fuck yourself.

>$99 for a Romanian SKS?
>That's highway robbery!
>Yep, it's Imbel sporter import, I can take the thumbhole stock off but then I would need to pin and weld the break. I wish I could get a folding stock for it but I'm already using hi cap mags so that's out.

Minis are fun in their own ways user

>to remember that sites like Arfcom were just as active during the ban.
Oh please, the userbase was a fraction of what it is now, it just had the appearance of being more active due to the average poster there being more dedicated.
>The gun scene looked much like it does today
Except, again, not half as big as it is now, and certainly without as much interest in evil black rifles and commie peasant killers. Volume means everything in the gun world, so saying the gun scene in American was the same then as it is now is just retarded. Surplus was everywhere, practically no one was into modern military small-arms, and the OG "Wonder 9s" were considered absolute king-shit despite already being dated and eclipsed.

Make no mistake, if things like unfucked ARs and AKs weren't around to take advantage of the surge in gun interest brought about by maturing late-80's/early-90's kids, we'd be in an extremely different gun world now and your castrated AR would likely have long-since been added to some further extension on the original AWB.
>back then your AR would be an AR, not a collection of Gucci parts designed to give you 0.001% more operating capability
Yeah fuck people who want things like optics and lights.

t. guy who remembers browsing literal oil drums of SVT40s that you could get for a bad blowjob

>Saiga/Vepr guns were the higher-end AKs. SKSs are the cheap option before the WASR-10
This is all true today, it all just costs $400 more.

You could get pistol ARs but they had to be SUPER lighweight to avoid being banned as an assault weapon. There were a few models available from Para Ordinance and some others I can't remember right now. No braces, of course.

this. there is still an AWB here in nj... i still own a scar and ar15s. I just have to pin the stock and pin a muzzle brake. not a big deal really.

>do you have a pyrotechnics license for all that blackpowder user?