The fuck happened to my barrel

Bought a Mossberg 500 youth, took to range first time tonight. Didn't change the factory choke installed on the smooth bore barrel, shot fine using Remington Slugger, Federal Premium, and Winchester Super X slugs (all 2 3/4").

Take it home, and give it a few runs of a brand new boresnake, look down barrel and see this. Scrub with bore brush and patches, still looks like shit. Keep scrubbing and I start to get little bits of metal on my patches.

What the fuck is going on here? Did I fuck up somehow? The fucked up part appears to be in the chamber half of the barrel, closer to the muzzle it looks fine.

Attached: 20190221_213712.jpg (1388x1331, 296K)

2/2

Attached: 20190221_213643.jpg (1633x1858, 487K)

It's lead.

You clean shotguns? lol

Why are you cleaning a shotgun?

I clean everything man and the autist in my is driven nuts by this. Is it normal?

yea

Now I'm no shotgun expert by any stretch but i don't think it's safe to fire slugs from a choked shotgun

This.
Not really sure about shotguns, but since I've seen people shoot slug out of rifled chokes, I guess it depends greatly on the type of slug, and the type of choke.

Did you shoot an unprotected slug through a smoothbore barrel?

rifled chokes dont have constriction

Lead, it dont matter

It's lead residue left in the barrel by the slugs. If you want to get rid of it, get one of these and scrape away

Attached: 211314.jpg.b2e11af8f8abe535d14eea37874a753a.jpg (880x660, 116K)

Run a real brush thru it. Boresnakes are fine for quick cleaning but that shit needs some scrubbing.

>boresnake
As awesome as they are and easy for quick cleaning away from home, it’s not going to beat proper cleaning rod, brush tip and jag with patches.
Then again, this is a smoothbore shotty, as long as there isn’t crazy bore obstructing build up and even some rust won’t hurt it. It’s basically a barrel to direct the projectiles. No rifling or crown to worry about.

It got dirty. Clean it you moron

People as dumb as you should not be allowed to own guns.

Welcome to shotgun ownership, user. Real men don't give two shits about lead residue in their barrels.

>slugs
>choke

nice b8

What the fuck is an unprotected slug?

What is IC?

It looks like that because the Mossberg youth barrels dont have any finish they protects against that effect. If you soaked it in CLP for a day you'd probably be able to get it out
>just ignore it though

I did, scrubbed the shit out of it. I've just never had residue stick like this before in a shotgun. Something to do with first time out the box? I cleaned all factory oil out.

Any slug not enclosed by a shot cup, wrap, or sabot.

That makes sense. Shit seemed to stick like glue.

Why would that matter in a smooth bore?

Depends on the type of choke.Rifled slugs (slugs designed for smooth-bores) are best fired from smooth bore barrels, but they can be fired from more moderate chokes with a loss in accuracy without blowing up the gun. I'd really, really not recommend shooting slugs through full chokes though.

You dont shoot sabots through smooth bore, you shoot rifled Foster or Brenneke slugs which are usually just lead slugs.

OP if you are that worried about it use some hoppes 9 solvent and a brass tornado brush. Make sure you clean out all the hoppes 9 solvent because it will rust away your barrel.

As far as chokes Ill try not to use a slug out of anything past a improved cylinder choke

Attached: muh chokes.gif (250x500, 15K)

Its the boresnake. It did enough damage to scrape up the layer of lead but not enough to actually take it out. So you get a fucked up looking surface.

Came here to post this. I never clean my shotguns bore, just the action.

I have this exact same issue with a 870 aftermarket 18in barrel. I’ve also shot Winchester Super X frequently. I’ve used every kind of solvent, bore brush, bore snake, and ever 0000fine steel wool and can’t get it out