When is it ok to refinish old guns?

When is it ok to refinish old guns?
>pic related

Attached: 1438564357675.jpg (4272x2848, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3-plus/
winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-current-products.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz_special
sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/shooting-table-contents/
gunbroker.com/item/796220200
gunbroker.com/item/799578120
gunbroker.com/item/799343528
gunbroker.com/item/800798998
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

that looks fine
otherwise, do it if there's a concern for corrosion at any spot

Finish it with the blood of your enemies

Not my gun, but im debating whether or not i should do it. Mine is in pretty good overall condition, but there are SOME wear marks at the front of the slide.

I hope that these pics will summon the original poster, iirc he went through refinishing

Attached: 1438568257577.jpg (4272x2848, 1.1M)

I have the same question. I have a 95% all matching Romanian SKS, they have turned pretty rare in this country too. I was thinking of NP3Plus finish on it, but cant justifie the cost, and also people have said it would ruin its historical value, but Im never selling it, so preserving it and making it better is worth while right? robarguns.com/custom-firearm-finishes/np3-plus/

Attached: 1497592946784.jpg (572x713, 48K)

Never

This and this.

Otherwise leave it alone.

Thats stupid user. I know its an sks but if its really at 95% just dont abuse it and it will stay great. If you want a beater innawoods gun just buy a norinco and do whatever you want to it.
It will hurt the historical value and while that may not mean much to you it may be a big deal for the next guy. You preserve history for the future after all.

i hear you but have you read what that MP3Plus finish does? Its like putting a force field on the gun, it might even extend the life of the gun by hundred years. whats wrong with tthat

Attached: f7432822812e6992d7322ed03ec6ec39.jpg (480x640, 73K)

They make a good point

The thought of restoring old guns to original condition has long been considered unacceptable. It was believed that tampering with an original gun would detract from its value, even if time and heavy use had taken its toll. It was thought that no one could possibly duplicate the original firearm finishes let alone the quality and craftsmanship of the original guns. Some people considered it a sign of disrespect to disturb the work of the original craftsmen.
When someone asks if restoration will affect the value of the firearm, remind them that The Statue of Liberty, The Washington Monument, The Star Spangled Banner and The Charter of Freedom (Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence) have all undergone restoration efforts. Does restoring these pieces of American history diminish their value or significance in our country’s history?
We hope the original gun makers would be proud to see these guns being preserved for future generations. The craftsmen at Turnbull Restoration are dedicated to continuing the great gun making tradition in this country.

The firearms pictured in our Restoration Gallery are previous restoration projects done for our customers, as well as firearms restored and sold by Turnbull Restoration.

Attached: 599DA1D6-2DA6-4B2A-BAAC-8234EA075F4F.png (2048x1536, 1.98M)

Before

Attached: 9057855D-C85B-40FB-9F89-46BE7EC6820A.jpg (2048x1320, 241K)

After
I would pay for the after

Attached: A381B229-EC08-4BD7-A282-655FA7B9E24B.jpg (2048x1232, 265K)

Only when they’re a total loss otherwise. Or after some bubba has done it already.

the top one is worth more money

If the finish is fucked up by wear, or damaged from water or fire

Opinions welcomed

If the old gun is the ONLY gun you have and you either don't plan to get another gun or you live in a humid hell, go for it. If it's one of several guns you have, don't fucking fuck with it and just properly preserve it.

I would not refinish a 1911 just because it had "wear marks"

Why would you want to cause more rust and pitting?

Before
More valuable?

Attached: A0CA06BD-3AFE-4AC8-8031-0A6962DCF41C.jpg (2048x1282, 386K)

After
Less valuable
Do not want, I want rusty guns with missing parts that are incapable of shooting

Attached: 1F42E0B5-FDD2-446D-A54D-67925F072358.jpg (2048x1206, 340K)

Incomplete or broken isn’t the same as patina. Im all for restoring a damaged gun. But ruining patina just because you want a new looking gun is just asinine.

If you want a new gun l, then go buy one!

>The replaced grip is nowhere near as nice and lacks the emblem
Why bother?

Last I checked, Winchester no longer makes the model 1973

>itt sinners

Attached: 20180804_131107.jpg (1887x2080, 2.81M)

You’re right dipshit, because it’s uberti that makes them now.

Attached: 0381E4AF-637D-4250-9D8D-3FF1DE26E808.png (640x1136, 131K)

>When is it ok to refinish old guns
When the finish is so bad that it actually impedes proper function/reliability. Other than that, never.

>winchesterguns.com/products/rifles/model-1873/model-1873-current-products.html
Whats it like being retarded? This also doesn't included the literally dozens of variations of 1873 you can get new from the likes of Pedersoli and Uberti

But they do

If its properly done, absolutely
I bought my Enfield from a guy that had it refinished professionally but still HEAVILY used it for a few years after and it looks total sex. Would upload a pic but Jow Forums hasnt been letting me when I'm 4G roaming for a little while now

>_> that grip

It is only okay to bubba an old gun in a few cases.

1) It was already bubba'd before you got it

2) It is not a collectible gun no matter what the condition

3) It is so worn and damaged that it would have no collector value regardless of any modifications

Pic related was completely bubbafied probably in the 1950s so I didn't feel bad about Fitzing it.

Attached: 100_2557.jpg (2048x1536, 900K)

What a retarded modification. I guess it's supposed to be so your giant inept booger picker doesn't accidentally try to shoot the gun by pulling the trigger guard? Only now it's gonna snag on fucking everything and if it's loaded it's going to fire as well.

It's historical. There was no such thing as a snubnose revolver before J.H. Fitzgerald.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitz_special

sportsmansvintagepress.com/read-free/shooting-table-contents/

It really depends on the collector's value in its current condition and the quality of the restoration. Except for really rare guns, value drops off rapidly the father they are from mint NIB condition and bottoms out at their value as a shooter (presuming the are functional). You don't want to fuck with gun that is so rare that condition doesn't matter much or a gun that derives a lot of its value from its current condition. But there are many old guns that are not in these categories and if they are good shooters or have some sentimental value, are good candidates for restoration.

For example let's say I find Colt Hammerless 1908 .380 ACP at gun show/estate sale. It's functional, with minimal pitting but only has 60% of its original finish. As it is, it's only worth a couple of hundred bucks. So I buy it, and send it off to be professionally refinished in hard chrome for $300 and then put some nice replacement grips on it. I've invested $500-700, but now have a gorgeous pocket .380 that shoots great and may sell for $1000 just a as snazzy carry piece (mine you a good condition original gun would run $1,200-2,000). If you didn't want to have it hard chromed, you could also have it refinished and hot blued for less and still have a good cc gun with some extra character and history.

Any time, as long as you don't try it at home.

fuck off noob

never
unless it's yours
then do as you please user

I recently bubba'd this old Diana 35 that has already been bubba'd in the past
I guess if it's a sports gun it's ok, but if it has historical value then no unless it's completely destroyed

Attached: 20190217_200520.jpg (2322x4128, 1.28M)

>if it has historical value then no

What amuses me is when bubbaing becomes historically interesting. My Fitz is made out of a WWII "pre victory" british contract gun. After the war victory models got surplused out by the 100s of thousands and they were cheap as fuck but many were chambered in the less common .38/200(.38S&W) cartridge so it is super common to find them modified in various ways to accept 38spl and then chopped, refinished etc for CCW. A collector could focus solely on modified Victory models and have an interesting collection.

Yes but you need to find the collectors willing to pay more money for that
What exactly determines the value of collectables?

The beauty of collecting modified Victories would be that they are usually breddy inexpensive because most people think they are hot garbage(and some of the conversions are hot garbage). There's a lot of variety though from Comercially done conversions with professional stamps to garage ream jobs that are suspect as fuck and everything in between. I don't know of anyone who professes to be a collector of modified Victories but as I was looking for something to Fitz I got to know about the history of them and see how someone could get into collecting examples of all the various mods done to them.

This one is overpriced but it's a good example of a modded Victory. I paid $250 shipped for the one I Ftiz'd.

gunbroker.com/item/796220200

Attached: pix018928188.jpg (640x426, 61K)

If you plan on taking it to the grave with you, like I do with mine. No kids, no family I care about. If you don't plan on giving it up, it's your gun and you should do whatever the fuck you want to it. Just don't be surprised if you change your mind and try to sell it later when it's worth less.

Here's a few more.

gunbroker.com/item/799578120

gunbroker.com/item/799343528

gunbroker.com/item/800798998

"When it's your gun, & you want to" is the only right answer

Attached: 1547923676051.jpg (744x942, 77K)

>What exactly determines the value of collectables?

Demand vs Supply.

no

If they're still being used, outside of being a safe queen and occasional range toy I'd go ahead and refinish them. I stay away from historical pieces though.

This is b8

If the gun is wasting away to a pile of rust just to maintain "patina" then youre a retard, use your judgement, a 50% plus gun in good working order is probably fine, if the whole fucker is rusting into "patina" get it fixed.