An old rifle appeared at a nearby junk shop and I'm thinking about getting it...

An old rifle appeared at a nearby junk shop and I'm thinking about getting it. They haven't decided what to charge for it yet and instead told me to "make an offer" since they don't usually sell things like this. Going to post a few pics and see if you guys think the rifle is worth anything.
I figured it would be fun to clean it up.

Attached: IMG_8802.jpg (4032x3024, 2.1M)

Attached: IMG_8803.jpg (4032x3024, 1.79M)

It's an old fake wallhanger, pay literally nothing for it because it's worthless

Attached: IMG_8804.jpg (4032x3024, 2.08M)

You sure? Bummer, thanks.

You're a fucking moron. That's a Jantzen Locks 1789. This thing is literally worth it's weight in gold.

No it isn't, it's fake as shit, just look at the lock.

That's all the pictures btw. I couldn't get it out of the case to take more.

im not here to make fake names for epic guns or tell you its wallhanger garbage. what i am here to tell you is that theres no ramrod, and the """""barrel""""" doesnt even reach the end of the stock. from what i can see, the lockplate is looking very fake, but i dont have a clear pic of it

so with that being said, i think its a great investment worth thousands of your dollars. spend away OP

Pitch $50 bucks. that's a fair price for a neat looking wallhanger in my opinion.

The barrel runs to the nosecap, but not beyond. Pretty common desu.

I'd say it's worth a hundred at most without getting any closer looks.

The bore and nipple might be rusted out, which would kill the gun entirely.

He could replace it if he found the maker

Extremely unlikely if the gun is more than 70 years old. Also, any replacement parts would need hand fitting, most of the idiots on here are barely past the banging rocks stage of tool use.

if it was a real antique gun it wouldn't be sitting there in a cabinet at some junk shop

Barn finds are a thing.

I appreciate all the replies. I'll attempt to get a few better pictures next time I go in there but the consensus seems to be it's just a wall hanger and considering the stuff I usually find out here I am inclined to agree.

yeah but this aint some grandma at a flea market this is a store that sells old junk

give him $15 for it

HOW ABOUT YOU BUY THE FUCKING SABRE INSTEAD

>$350
>"Admiral sword"
The sword is fake wallhanger shit too. That's why you never buy military antiques from some old junk "antique" shop, you buy them from people who specifically deal in militaria. 99% of the old military shit you see in those Boomer antique stores are literal toys made for children that have rusted to shit over the years and idiots who don't know any better think they're original.

The flathead screws and cheap thin metal with artificial patina are dead giveaways that this is fake.

This is so sad. I don't live in 'Murica so most old military things you see are real, pretty rare though.

> so most old military things you see are real
No, they aren't. I've been collecting militaria my whole life, Europe is full of just as much cheap fakes and reproductions as anywhere else. In fact, Central and Eastern Europe are the largest producers of fake military antiques in the world, more so than China even. And in this regard I'm talking about actual fake items meant to dupe the unwary buyer into thinking it's original, not reproduction stuff which is produced with good intentions and always clearly marked that it is a reproduction.

People don't understand just how rare it is to find many examples of old military equipment. Even something as relatively new as being from WWII is almost 90 years old. Things back then were made from wood, leather, wool, cotton, etc. These things degrade over time, especially if not taken care of. I always cringe whenever I see someone in an antique shop buying an "original" wool tunic from the Civil War or something.

Hm. That makes me think. I found a bayonet in my backyard years ago, now it's irreparably lost because my uncle stole it, but if you're right it might not have been German after all.

Well I'm not talking about literal backyard finds of stuff that's been buried for decades, that stuff is most likely obviously real. I'm talking about the junk you find in antique shops. There's plenty of places in Europe where you can go metal detecting and find old bayonets or belt buckles from the 1800s and shit, obviously they're always rusted to shit and really aren't worth that much. The military antiques that are valuable are the ones in good shape, because even though they made literally millions of the things, very few survive to the modern day in more or less complete condition.

Third Reich antiques are especially notorious for being faked. It's estimated by some collector's that there are as many as 20,000 fakes on the market to each authentic example of something. A good rule of thumb is that if you see an antique with a Swatstika on it for less than $1000, it's fake as shit.