Is is true muskets caused more grievous wounds than modern rifles?

Is is true muskets caused more grievous wounds than modern rifles?

Attached: Naseby_musket_balls.jpg (1599x858, 119K)

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/the-legend-of-the-surgery-with-the-300-mortality-rate-1684894531
youtube.com/watch?v=yW-jlvNQA8w
youtube.com/watch?v=d8IvDPuVuho
youtube.com/watch?v=fX4ODh1g4eM
youtube.com/watch?v=PifleEwbeko
youtube.com/watch?v=Mwhmk-4bDS4
youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWP5h69DBM
youtube.com/watch?v=KxdF6huK0NI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

no their medicine and knowledge of bacteria and infection was just shit so more people died.

Yes.
Musket and minie balls punch through while modern bullets cut.
Kind of like the difference between torque and horsepower.

i feel like id still rather be hit by a 5.56 than a .60 caliber ball

t. Retard

Like the difference between voltage and current.

Without having seen much in the way of medical reports I suspect that the structural damage wouldn't be any worse. It's a pretty large but slow projectile crushing a wound channel through the target, and that's about it. It won't shred itself into fragments and turn a fist's worth of flesh into minced meat like a 5.56 round may, and the speed should leave it rather less likely to send bone shards off to pierce things any distance away form the main wound channel.

On the other hand, the large and near-flat central surface hitting the target is to have been quite good (compared to bolts, arrows and spitzer bullets alike, though not always to the same degree) at dragging material from the target's clothes and skin into the wound. Combine with the challenge of cleaning out deep puncture wounds and the infection rates appear to have been quite worrying in the pre-antibiotics era as soldiers in battle were rarely clean to surgical standards. Looking at skeletons from old battlefield graves (Towton being the specific one I have in mind here) it seems to have been quite common for soldiers in the middle ages to take cuts to the bone, heal up properly, and return to their profession. But as guns became more common the rate of amputations is to have increased massively.

Attached: Medic.jpg (1296x972, 240K)

Just pray that they don't hit the bone.

Like the difference between speed and velocity.

>while modern bullets cut.
So where're the cutting edges on these things?

>Kind of like the difference between torque and horsepower.
Can you explain torque and horsepower in physical terms?

Attached: Five301906govtBullets.png (1280x1013, 1.77M)

Like the difference between power and energy.

They could cause quite severe damage but they also lost velocity more quickly.
Otherwise survivable wounds were likely made fatal from poor medical care of the time.

There are pictures of men in the bush wars of 50s - 70s Africa with multiple lead shot wounds that are walking wounded and presumably survived.

Attached: iqf7jyodcpqwqk8o0w16.jpg (319x473, 19K)

kys lmao

We do know that in the age of the musket, 90% of combat related deaths happened in what passed for field hospitals. But these were terrible places; no pain killers beyond what alcohol was available, the concept of bacterias was unknown so many patients might be washed by the same filthy rag, no antibiotics, amputations were done around the clock either they were vital or not, and doctors were in notoriously short supply. And that's before we start factoring in lack of food and water or the not exactly invested treatment of wounded prisoners, or the interesting illnesses haunting every camp - typhoid, diphteria etc. Soldiers prayed for quick deaths because they knew any wound of consequence meant a slow painful one. And a society that placed handicapped people below beggars and barely above criminals.

I've read that clean minnie and round balls could pass through leaving just a clean wide hole, or they could drag bits of clothing in which would lead to mortality because of bad hospital capabilities.

Have also heard though that the low velocities and relative softness of lead balls could lead to unusual effects such as the bullet striking bone and deflecting along the length of the bone instead of continuing on course, which sounds like a fucking nightmare to treat. The hydrostatic forces from a heavy soft lead round deforming on impact was probably pretty severe too. I know for sure I'd rather take a ww1/ww2 rifle round than a minnie ball. I think comparison to 55.6 or other intermediate calibers is a little unfair as they have a unique wounding mechanism compared to the general arc of bullet technology and design. Passthrough/overpenetration without any yawing was a big problem for every wartime smokeless spitzer round until the development of small zippy rounds.

Attached: 1520358495873.png (349x427, 259K)

Of course, that's because 5.56 is designed to wound

As other have said, the sorry state of medical knowledge and practice made the effects of black powder-launched lead projectiles more devastating than anything else. However it didn't help that a big, slow moving ball that weighs as much as a Prius had less tendency of going clear through shit like wool/cotton uniforms and the like and would instead punch all that nasty shit into the body along with itself, causing horrendous infection in the days before antibiotics and proper medical hygiene existed.

With that said even today getting hit in an unarmored part of your part with a .36 lead ball is going to ruin your fucking day.

Attached: WP_20180604_005.jpg (3072x1728, 2.23M)

This. Treating bullet wounds with leeches and cowshit poultices killed more men than the bullets did.

Like the difference between salty coins and bags of sand.

>Can you explain torque and horsepower in physical terms?
It's like the difference between amps and psi.

I've really been curious about this because sometimes I'd hear about a ball knocking through multiple guys. A lot of people casted their own shot and likely would of been soft lead that started to heat up from being shot in the barrel then deforming on impact when they already started out around a 40 or 50 cal ball.
io9.gizmodo.com/the-legend-of-the-surgery-with-the-300-mortality-rate-1684894531

>So where're the cutting edges on these things?

t.brainlet not worth responding too

>Horsepower
How fast you hit the wall
>Torque
How much of the wall you take with you

Are you a fucking retard?

Attached: 1550840298275.png (310x350, 157K)

Metals were very hard to get pure then, so there was probably an inbred amalgamation of bullshit in the rounds, wouldn't surprise me if they were melting all sorts of shit during the civil war and revolutionary war to actually maintain a supply of angry ball bois

Attached: 1550711833043.png (476x346, 163K)

based
retard who wasnt smart enough to be able to take basic physics

>Can you explain torque and horsepower in physical terms?

>torque
How much force you're using to twist something
>horsepower
How much work you're doing when twisting at that level of force, at a fixed speed over a set period of time.

>P = τ ⋅ ω

>where P is power in watts when τ is torque in newton-metres, and ω is angular speed in radians per second.

Yes. Yes you are.

Good meme you got me

i went to a civil war reanactment place on a field trip in elementary school, and they showed up a musket ball that had been dug out of guy. it was pretty deformed and had two very thin lines in part of it. the civil war guy said that there were veins or human tissue still stuck to/inside of it.

kinda
they're comparable to shotgun slugs in their stopping power

No, modern ammunition especially small caliber high velocity ammunition (5.45, 5.56) would be virtually 100% fatal in the Civil War, the destroyed tissue would turn septic and be impossible to treat with the knowledge and equipment at the time.

I feel like I could stop a bullet if I flexed real hard

*dabs*

Who says that?

This

triple kill

t. dumb fuck that manages to mistake accuracy for wound profile

the formula for kinetic energy is KE=1/2mv^2. a 5.56 round has a much higher velocity than a musket round and therefore has much more kinetic energy despite less mass

Like the difference between Younglings and The Children.

>baste

Attached: 1531976316315m.jpg (732x1024, 52K)

There's a bit more to it than pure energy, though.
Typical 5.56x45mm out of a 16" barrel will have around 1600 J of energy, while .58 Minie will be around 1450 J from a rifle in good condition. So the energy isn't that much less, but the momentum of the .58 ball is almost triple that of the 5.56 bullet (9.8 vs 3.6), which is why it can punch through human flesh easily despite its large size and low velocity.

The .58 will leave a much larger wound channel and cause extensive damage to the surrounding tissue; there's a higher chance of hitting something vital due to the larger size of the bullet, and the rate of blood loss will also be more severe than anything 5.56 could achieve, so even a non-lethal shot has a higher chance of being fatal.

a fragmenting 5.56 will fuck you up much worse than a .60 caliber ball.

Sort of.

Musket balls act like a modern hollow point, they expand out like a disk on impact so make a bigger hole.

On the flip side, modern bullets shatter bones and do tons more force based damage.

458 win mag, loaded with a 500 gn cast bullet, over Trail Boss load for 900-1000 fps. Should get close or better to the same performance as a musket of the same caliber. More than enough.

Try this please. Post results

70 IQ individuals right there

It is 100% true. A modern bullet is designed to penetrate and yaw introducing hydrostastic shock if possible. A musket round is heavier, larger and slower. It will NOT cut your veins and vessels, it will smash things up and it's probably going to hurt like you wouldn't believe.

Attached: 1541551682352.gif (360x359, 549K)

The closest modern equivalent to a musket would be slugs out of a shotgun, and we all know how obnoxiously deadly those are.

>obnoxiously deadly

Livestream it to please.

What happens when a cannonball hits people? Not an actual shell (though early shells looked alot like balls), just a solid, huge ball of lead just bouncing along the ground at a million miles an hour an smashing into a leg/torso/dick. Are there skeletons dug up believed to have been killed by direct hits from cannon balls?

They arent used anymore because soldiers become immune to them from overuse

We have some data on this from the Napoleonic wars. Cannonballs would bounce along the ground, seemingly spent, and the temptation would occasionally be too big for some idiot trying to kick it if it came close enough. When the resulting hit didn't rip the limb clean off directly, amputation would follow shortly on the butcher table anyway. There's a tad more kinetic energy in an iron cannonball than in a football even at roughly the same speed.

Go to /gif/ rub one off and when you're done look for a gore thread or war footage. You should find people getting executed by shotguns at point blank range to the head. Imagine if the buckshot was bigger. I'm not posting this shit here, race realism gets me banned often already

5.56 is actually being considered as a replacement for radiation therapy due to its very low invasive quality. there are actually cases where peo0ple become MORE healthy after being shot with 5.56.

it might be the next big thing in cancer therapy

Pretty much what you'd expect.
>Worn by 23-year-old French calvary rider François-Antoine Fauveau. The British cannonball tore through him on June 18, 1815 at Waterloo.

Attached: carabinier ball waterloo french.jpg (949x527, 540K)

W R e k t

Not necessarily. You're forgetting about about yaw and fragmentation. If you look at the damage done by a M855A1 or M80A1, they accomplishes similar damage if not more damage compared to a larger .58 Minie.

youtube.com/watch?v=yW-jlvNQA8w
youtube.com/watch?v=d8IvDPuVuho
youtube.com/watch?v=fX4ODh1g4eM

.58 Minie
youtube.com/watch?v=PifleEwbeko

depends on location, angle and distance but it'll either cut you in half , rip you to pieces or punch a massive hole or limb out/off of you.

Holy shit was he okay?

Yeah he walked it off.

A quick google says that a full size musket has more muzzle energy than a 7.62x39 coming out of an AK, but the real thing that is going to fuck you up is being treated by a doctor who thinks infection spreads through bad smells and who has no issue with performing an autopsy and delivering a baby before helping you with the same unwashed hands

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnWP5h69DBM

Also no.
youtube.com/watch?v=KxdF6huK0NI

Muskets actually do slightly worse due to a lack of fragmentation and less yawing.

Attached: you-sure-are-fuckin-stupid-read-a-book-nigger-4499904.png (500x446, 91K)

Fragmentation is the big advantage that 5.56 has, for sure. Same with the tumbling action of 5.45. The only reason I'm giving credit to the minie ball is because as long as it reaches its target, it'll fuck it up without question. The tumbling/fragmentation effect just isn't something you can necessarily rely upon.

Wonder if he saw it coming

A .36 ball w/ 20 grains behind it is pretty much .380 ACP but okay tell me how that goes.

Another american homeschooled kid

>Damn... Can't think of an argument and can't explain it myself. Better just call him a retard!
Excellent rebuttal, user.