Why did aircraft designers in WW2 insist on placing the engine in front of the cockpit and limiting the pilot's view...

Why did aircraft designers in WW2 insist on placing the engine in front of the cockpit and limiting the pilot's view? Surely it's better to have it behind the cockpit and have the cockpit forward in order to give the pilot better vision? Also without the engine there you can mount a fuckton of armament in the nose?
Surely all you need is a really long shaft running from the engine to the prop?
I think this was even done on the P-39, so why not others?

Attached: Curtiss P40zerokill.jpg (1672x2124, 2.36M)

Because it's easier to mass produce aircraft with engines in the front.

Why though? I mean how can it make a difference where you put the engine in the manufacturing process?
t. Not an engineer

I remember a thread on this several years ago, I believe the general consensus reached was that with the engine behind the pilot it could be destroyed more easily (being shot from behind, when you're being chased).

This and it also led to some nasty stall characteristics, whereas a nose-heavy airplane was more likely to come out of a stall on its own or be easier for the pilot to pull out of one.

Literally everything you thought about was already tested and proved in WW1.

Because they were dumbfucks who didn't have someone like you to tell them to shape up, user. You are amazing and don't let anyone say otherwise.

All those flavors and you chose salty. Sad!

chaika?

also longer shafts bend more easily, wich is something you dont want to happen in an shaft thst rotstes really fast. one small imbalance from an tight manouvre and your shaft starts deforming ans breaking in midair.

we talk about 1930/40 technology and metalurgy. even today it would be neat impossible

tractor setup > pusher setup

Push props are like 10-15 percent less powerful

This

Rear heavy Aircaft won't take off

They did it with the P-39 tho. So it's clearly not "nearly impossible".

Samefag

I can prove that that's not samefagging if you promise to you kill yourself if I do it.

I can prove that that's not samefagging if you promise to you kill yourself if I do it.

Probably the placmenet of center of gravity and the fact the pilots didn't like having the engine behind them, as it would not act as frontal armor and maybe crush the pilot in the event of a crash landing. The CoG problem is really important.

With the engine in the middle, there isn’t a good place for a large fuel tank, severely limiting the range.

These are the big ones
Long prop shaft like that is hard to manufacture and nose heavy plane is better in a dive (especially if you've stalled - stall with the engine at the back and you're fucked, stall with the engine at the front and the weight pulls you nose down which means you get flow over the control surfaces again and might just be able to pull out of it).

and there is a reason why it was done only so little.

I too know what a mobile IP and/or Photoshop is

This man airplanes

all me :))

Attached: file.png (1523x541, 113K)

weight distribution, stability and stall characteristics. Also many rear engine aircraft had explosive bolts to blow off the rear engine so the pilot could survive bailing out. There were experiments with rear engines, but most projects ended at the flight test phase after the first crash.

Behold

Attached: Dornier_Pfeil2.jpg (2904x1224, 1.1M)

Because bullpups suck

And that reason was...?

I'm talking about a rear placing of the engine, not a pusher propellor.

Nope, just read the wiki on the P-39

It simply is m8. For example if you want to put engine in the middle, you need a driveshaft. Driveshaft complicates cockpit design and adds weight.
Pusher type planes did exist, but they are inferior to normal planes.
Plus this:
Aerodynamics are insanely complex.

Surely you need a driveshaft anyway, to turn the prop?

You only need a crankshaft to run reduction gears. Shorter transfer of movement, less material.
Driveshaft needs to run like 50% of plane length.

Center of gravity and maneuverability

Just make a forward engine pusher
Best of both worlds