Since most modern armies use a select fire carbine aren't smgs antiquated/ irrelevant?

since most modern armies use a select fire carbine aren't smgs antiquated/ irrelevant?

Attached: PEO_M4_Carbine_RAS_M68_CCO.jpg (3478x1698, 474K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/223-remington/55-gr-tap-urban
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes

SMGs are a lot shorter than even a cut down M4. And lighter. Still makes sense to have for certain applications i.e. vehicle crews.

Yes, that's why most SMGs were designed prior to the widespread adoption of intermediate cartridges.

Attached: [Commie] Upotte!! - 06 [378DC240].mkv_snapshot_13.38_[2018.05.10_23.49.18].jpg (1280x720, 119K)

Sub Machine Guns "make sense" for vehicle crews when they are completely divorced from any broader logistic or training concerns.

?

eh yeah, but that's a a very niche scenario.

A bit niche but true. SMGs suppress better than intermediate rifles, they are easier to shoot on full auto, and they can be a lot shorter and lighter which is why we've seen some specops using them in place of rifles (i.e. SEALs using suppressed MP7s)

yeah but if you have the choice between one gun that does alot of shit pretty good and one that god tier at one thing and subpar at pretty much everything else which would you choose?

SOF and swat type leo still use subguns effectively.

Attached: 2E3CC827-5477-4F1C-A065-2618281AC74E.jpg (800x513, 57K)

well when you use old hand me down shit you don't have a choice but to make it work.

Not him, but my guess is that any benefits an SMG has over any kind of SBR doesn't outweigh the additional training needed or financial burden for buying both types of weapons considering it would be far cheaper to stick with one platform to purchase, buy ammo for, etc.

Yes. From a training and cost perspective, 10” SBR’s have overshadowed SMG’s and PDW’s from at the very least a logistical perspective.

So just use existing stock instead of buying new? See the M3 grease gun.

When space warfare becomes a thing we'll need to use pistol cartridges to minimize the risk of piercing the hull and getting the whole module Alien4'd.
Smaller size will probably help in close quarters.

Attached: 1503828622740.jpg (540x230, 17K)

>niche
yes genius, vehicles and CQB environments are really rare in the modern world.

Why does this same thread keep re-appearing over and over again?

SWAT teams use them because they're almost always going room to room. M4's are perfectly fine for anything that needs a bit more range than a sub gun plus kevlar armor cut down on pistol caliber effectiveness

>9mm is rare and expensive
>SMG's require a lot of training to operate

>just issue something made decades ago and hope it doesn't break
no

>9mm is rare and expensive
No, it's a waste of space when you could just be stocking more 5.56
>SMG's require a lot of training to operate
All guns do. They already have basic training for the m4, retaining the same manual of arms means no additional training is required.

>No, it's a waste of space when you could just be stocking more 5.56
The military already has enormous amounts of 9mm stocked because of the M9 and now because of the M17.
>They already have basic training for the m4
If you can run an M4, you can run an MP5. They're not that different.

i guess but if you allready have an m4 on hand why bother switching to an mp4?

>The military already has enormous amounts of 9mm stocked
lol
>If you can run an M4, you can run an MP5
Not true at all. The military has to teach literally the dumbest person you've ever met to operate this gun effectively and safely, and be able to resolve stoppages and maintain it.

Frangible 5.56 my dude.

That's not a question for real men.

Attached: rfkdo8xycsxnhcracch6[1].jpg (750x445, 45K)

Frangible would still punch straight through most man-made space structures. It just wouldn't have dangerous spalling.
Who knew that lightening things to send them into space makes them so permeable

>Gendarmerie Nationale, GSG-9, KSK, etc.
>Using hand me down shit

Whoops, > was meant for

I mean, Delta Force was using grease guns in Somalia.

I would say more of a niche use firearm. Figure uses were even weakest rifle cartridge might cause too much barrier penetration. My guess would be like:
>Police use
>Aboard ships (repealing or boarding)
>Dense urban areas

Frangible 5.56 penetrates less than 9mm.
hornadyle.com/products/rifle-ammunition/223-remington/55-gr-tap-urban

Huh. Neat.

Jesus you're dumb.

They already did and it worked

To SF, because there was no genuine competition at the time.

There's a few key issues with that:
>it won't work for general issue because there aren't enough of the guns
>the logistics will get all fucked up
>there are far superior competitors

Slapping a 10.3" barrel in a m4 is a lot easier than buying thousands of mp5s or asking terrorists for our grease guns back.

Yes, smg's were basically relevant for 50 years until we had the tech and designs to make light auto carbines. They're also pretty cheap, so they can fill the wartime niche of a mass production arm that needs minimal training. A carbine AR-18 would be the rough economic equivalent of a stamped smg like a Sten.