What's the most versatile cartridge in existence, and why is it .357 magnum?

What's the most versatile cartridge in existence, and why is it .357 magnum?
>.30-30 muzzle energy from carbine
>ballistics aren't even that bad
>.357 revolvers of all sizes widely available
>inb4 10mm fags

Attached: combo.jpg (1191x1206, 473K)

Not to mention the ability to use .38 special.

I unfortunately have to disagree, simply because its a rimmed cartridge and is more difficult to feed through a box mag.
I'd argue 9mm is more versatile, but the loss in energy is quite substantial.

Attached: hipoint.gif (431x317, 32K)

>Rimmed
Into the trash is goes

>versatile
it's like you don't want to have more than 8 rounds ever

.357 is one of the first rounds I ever fired out. I love .357 but its not versatile at all lmao

>unironically choosing a pistol cartridge for your long rifle
.30-30 just works

30 Carbine has nearly identical ballistics, and works in autoloaders

M2 in automatic was fucking awesome too

Attached: 357 30.png (864x576, 654K)

>handgun cartridge with less than 1500 ft lbs muzzle energy from a carbine
Into the trash it goes
>over 3x the energy of 9mm
>needing more than 8 shots
Name another cartridge that can be highly effective in a pocket gun while still deer capable and AP past 100 yards.
>his rifle and pistol ammo isn't compatible
Not gonna make it
Way weaker, no compact pistols and carbines aren't that reliable, but I respect it. .357/.30 wildcats exist, too bad they never took off, basically 7.62x39 performance.

>Way weaker
It's almost the same round but rimless

>his rifle and pistol ammo isn't compatible
imagine thinking you can come up with a .357 load that'll compete with .30-30 while still working in your wheelgat

>Way weaker

You're comparing an oversized /handgun/ caliber vs an undersized /rifle/ caliber. The ballistics are close enough to not matter in the way 40 S&W was squashed by 9 and 45

357 has marginally better energy at ranges where 30 shoots flatter

357 also has more loads available, and longer support over the years for higher performance loads

If you want it in an autoloader there's... Coonan I guess.

if you are willing to carry a 357mag lever gun, you might as well carry an AK pistol/carbine in 76239. it will be the superior option in every way. that aside, versatility is the ability to be used in many applications. since 357mag is rimmed, it sucks at being used in box mags which is why it sucks in pistols. 10mm is much more "versatile" in comparison, plenty of revolvers exist for it already and it has the same 357mag-38spc dichotomy with 40ws.

Attached: 5620963.1149989369.jpg (800x405, 260K)

This

7.62x39 is a solid option

That being said, I want my alt-history with burstfire 30-carbine PDWs

10mm doesn't have much in the way of platform options available to make it really worthwhile, unless you like riced up Highpoints, 7.62 is better

>OP makes thread about versatile cartridges
>proceeds to tell them to buy an AK

About the same carbine velocity with a 110 grain bullet as the .357 with a 158 grain, not sure where you got that idea.
www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=419
www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=102
See above, these aren't +P or Ruger only loads. Stop underestimating .357. It won't match .30-30 but it'll still take deer cleanly.
>it will be the superior option in every way
>what is handgun ammo compatibility
>10mm is much more "versatile" in comparison
10mm drops like a rock past 100 yards, and loses all its energy on the way. At 100 yards .357 has twice the energy. The G29 is the smallest 10mm pistol I know of and it still weighs more than a G17, while .357s can weigh half that. 10mm revolvers are lower capacity and/or bigger than .357s.

Because its pretty good. Since it isn't in automatics you can load it to any power level, from just getting out the barrel to developing as much power as intermediate rifle, out of a lever gun.

>past 100 yards

you must have some great eyesight to be shooting pistols at 100y and beyond...

Your talking yourself in circle in the lady section there. Your not going to get a lighter, higher capacity pistol ever by using a revolver. There are as you said higher capacity revolvers in 357 than 10mm revolvers but they aren't lighter or have the capacity of a G20. G29 is almost useless compared to g20

10mm fags are the most insufferable people on earth
be useful and push for a M1 Carbine in 10mm instead of shitposting

That's really not hard. Miculek hit a balloon at 1000y on his 2nd try. Plenty of youtube gun peeps who shoot 1'x1' targets at 200 to 300 yards with stock sights.

It only equals the energy of the .30-30 with the hottest loads. While the .357 can be had in small snubbies it really isn't suited that that role, the muzzle blast being horrendous and power being roughly equivalent to 9mm out of short barrels.

The .44 magnum is better. Shoots just as flat, can still be had in an L (read: concealable) frame, much more power. The .357 is a much more shootable version though, not to be underestimated by any stretch.

>Rimless>rimed
>10mm>44mag>357

Revolver fags should go play Russian roulette

>MUH RIMLESS MEANS BETTERER
okay kid

Fitting into a double stack, let alone any magazine is more useful than a revolver. Get with the times old man

Attached: zero-ultra-24oz.jpg (700x700, 33K)

>30 Carbine has nearly identical ballistics, and works in autoloaders
so does .357 and you can find it

>guns have to hold 15 to be useful

Attached: d3c.png (430x441, 102K)

post groups nigger

10-12 is enough. 15 is great. 6-7 followed by a slow reload is asking to get raped by a bear

If somehow 6 can't get the job done I doubt 10 would because obviously you can't shoot for shit or you ran into a Sasquatch

OMG yes 10mm carbines yesterday.

If you cant get the job done in 1 shot, I doubt 5 more would make a difference. In fact, since most self defense sgu's dont involve a shot being fired, you'd be best off not carrying a gun.

12ga is objectively more versatile, but versatility doesn't mean better in all ways.

It's not a question of what's necessary to be useful. The question is, is more better? It seems pretty clearly yes, up until the weight of more rounds becomes a serious issue.
Does rimless facilitate feeding more rounds in a more effective manner? Yes.
What does a rimmed round offer as an ''advantage'', especially now that there are more options for rimless revolvers?

>omg yes

This is how your average 10mm fag talks.

Agreed. I have literally seen posts equating 10mm with 44 Magnum. It's a dead cartridge for a reason. Just buy .40 S&W already.

You'd be hard pressed to find a bear defense scenario where the shooter
A: Got more than six shots off before the bear died
B: Got more than six shots off before the bear scrambled and ran
C: Got more than six shots off before the bear mauled him

Both with automatics and with revolvers.
I'd rather have some more ft/lbs and penetration downrange than capacity.
An age old truth in big game hunting is that firepower can never substitute shock factor in a cartridge.

Attached: Freedom Arms 500 Wyo Expr.jpg (420x259, 48K)

Yeah, no

you fucking wish. 44 magnum comes closer, but it still won't match .30-30

I now wonder if .500 magnum wadcutters would have enough volume and hit hard enough to make a hollow inside with a bit of fuel and oxidizer for a diesel explosion.

Not the best, still easily doable.

Attached: 20190130_144212.jpg (4032x1960, 2.18M)

10mm is at least equal desu.

>can be used from derringers, revolvers, semi autos, rifles, etc

>5.56 energy from a carbine

>bullet weights from 60 to 230 grains

it's not technically incorrect, just misleading.
If you shoot the top end commercial 357 loads out of a fairly long barrel you can get to around some of the more mild .30-30 loads energy wise.

I would say 44 and 7.62x25 are more versatile.

10mm can be used to hunt everything from varmints with liberty civil defense ammo, to Cape buffalo and grizzly bears with good hardcast lead ammunition. It can also be used to hunt the rare and illusive negro illuminatus, if you select one of the handful of 3a defeating loads.

12 gauge 2 3/4" can be used to meet any need out to 100 yards (using slugs).

even a milquetoast 170gr PPU load for .30-30 comes out over 1800 ft-lbs, .357 can't hit that

It's been a few years since I looked into it, I was just checking now and saw the ppu as well. Probably someone cherry picked some softball load to try to push .30-30 bad bandwagon, my mistake for not verifying.

It really can match more mild .30-30 loads, but it's 2-300 ft lbs short of full power .30-30. A much closer comparison is with 7.62x39. Still impressive.
IWB concealed carry?