Hello Jow Forumsommandos

Hello Jow Forumsommandos
I've bought this holster awhile ago for 15$, bc it was 15$. An user pointed out that this might pre-date WWI, and figured it might be RCMP issue.
( bought it in Canada) I really dont know what i got here.

Help me out fellas

Attached: 20190223_214212.jpg (4032x3024, 3.67M)

Other urls found in this thread:

armamentresearch.com/contact/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh and if it helps here's the back and some details.
-the revolver's silhouette suggests its 12cm (4in) ~ long
-it was in a bag full of calvary equipment

Attached: 20190223_214842.jpg (4032x3024, 3.48M)

If there's any marking or stamps on it, post 'em
also get back to studying for your journalism class

Wasnt any, which is why it's interesting.
Journalism is a good guess.

Approx how long is the silhouette of the cylinder and the barrel in the holster? this would help narrow it down

barrel is 4.5 cm~ the cylinder is 5-6 cm~

i give up. maybe send pics to ARES or something
armamentresearch.com/contact/
everything standard-issue in the 1860-1940 Canadian armed forces arsenal doesn't use a holster like that that I know of
alternatively, fork over $100 for the book "Arms & accoutrements of the Mounted Police, 1873-1973: The first one hundred years" because I can't find a pdf

your effort is appreciated. maybe it isn't Canadian eh? i love a good mystery.
thanks for the link btw

either not Canadian or it's in a strange-ass revolver. Def for an officer though bc of the shoulder strap
The Toronto public library also has a copy of the book if you're ever around there

Attached: they got it.jpg (991x803, 81K)

Because it's pre WWI it may simply not conform to regs. This was still an era where officers could purchase their own equipment to an extent, especially given the disparate nature of the RCMP. I suspect it may have belonged to an officer who had it made for him. I have no sources to back this up, just a bunch.

*Hunch

moved outta Toronto ages ago. I'll keep my eyes out for that book though.
about the strap, any idea how to wear it? its a lil' small.

good point. But, both RCMP and military issue revolvers were pretty long, compared to this anyway.

I've always seen and read about them worn like pic related, guy at the very left. Then again, most of my uniform knowledge is on vatnik stuff
I also realized after I posted my previous the strap is long enough for a midget, so this only makes it even stranger

Attached: russian army circa ww1.jpg (1300x1007, 361K)

I mean, cant be that way.

Attached: 20190223_225830.jpg (2169x3088, 3.09M)

Colt "New Service" revolver?

Attached: canadian-service-revolver-guess1.png (806x661, 529K)

Hmm. Good fit, but the barrel seems a bit long dont you think?
I feel like our mystery gun will have a short barrel.

Could be for a Fitz Special, barrel on those are only 4in, but those are rare af
maybe it's like how you have it OP, an underarm holster and the belt loops are for a belt that does across the chest? does the rcmp have detectives?

Attached: Fitzspecial.jpg (271x186, 8K)

Seems like a Fitz would have a different holster for faster draw, but I dunno, Satan.

Attached: fitz-holster1.jpg (639x539, 63K)

I ran around with it like that. Jiggles like jello in a earthquake though a chest belt might be missing.

Since its before WWI ( probably) it would've been the North-West Mounted Police, who were more like a Militia than police force, so. The RCMP does have detectives though.

Plus when you have it on the shoulder, its uncomfortable to draw the pistol. If it was meant for shoulders the strap would be longer i think

Ok it's got to be for the Colt M1909 in .445 Webly
The USMC versions of the holster for the same revolver are very similar but are clearly meant to be worn on the hip

Attached: dslkfdslifhlkjcsnsakd.jpg (378x673, 20K)

OP here. Im sleeping now, hope the thread doesnt die. Im dying to know what this is.
Au revoir !

Attached: thinkem.jpg (250x226, 7K)

They dont look alike at all. Plus, there isnt a US stamp.

I was the guy originally suggesting it could be a mountie holster. Now I'm looking at it again, the strap could be for a different purpose than a shoulder. They are real rare today but this could actually be a saddle holster. They were placed on the saddle horn. Not as romantic as a low hip wield, but how many horse riders knew what romance was anyway?

Attached: SH1947.jpg (350x421, 40K)

Like this:

Attached: mounted_shoot_holstr.jpg (550x368, 37K)

Ive never considered that, thanks for telling.
Are they rare in the sense no one uses em' or there's not many of em' around?

Never seen a saddle holster outside Internet before. I'm just guessing, but there simply isn't a lot of horseriders around any more and those few who do still bring a gun are probably better served with a rifle. If I had even remembered the concept ever existed I'd probably have mentioned it sooner. The idea is good though; why wear a gun just to transport it, if you can put it directly on the horse instead? And there might be a secondary option for some like a strap that could be adjusted for shoulder wear instead.

This makes more sense, pic related is a WWI 1911 cavalry holster. Notice how short the strap is

Attached: 1911 saddle holster.jpg (1500x1125, 481K)