Received this from my grandfather today. He wanted it out of the house and I said I’d take it. It was his fathers...

Received this from my grandfather today. He wanted it out of the house and I said I’d take it. It was his fathers. There’s no real family sentimental value and it more than likely hasn’t been fired in 30+ years. Am I an idiot for wanting to chop it and get a bayonet lug/heat shield?

Attached: 0073641E-80D7-4939-A17A-E78F27DD9836.jpg (2723x3629, 1.01M)

for chopping it up? ya
for a lug and shield? nah

Attached: 8B5AD91F-79BE-4EF9-A2A1-B8B1A36D0515.jpg (2451x3266, 955K)

What model is it?

Honestly it looks like it sorta is fucked up and pitted from rust. If you are every gonna cut up a gun it should be ones like that.

Model 12. I checked the serial number and it’s from 1959. Some people on other forums are saying it’s a sin to chop an original model 12 but it’s in such bad shape I don’t see it being a problem. The action is still very smooth however.

> There’s no real family sentimental value
>To a shotgun that has been handed down from your great grandfather and now to you.
I say take it to a gunsmith and if it's functional and safe then keep it, if it has any sign of not working well or not being safe or even just needing any more than a hundred bucks of repairs to get it going again then chop it up like you want.

Attached: Thatsworrying.jpg (695x379, 16K)

Op here, the wood is dinged and scratched but no cracks or chips. However blueing is in rough shape. The rust is heavier where the magazine tube and barrel meet the receiver.

To be clear here, by “chopping it” I mean taking the barrel down to 18 1/2 inches. I don’t mean turning the thing into scrap metal.

It’s sad to say but there just isn’t. My grandfather never used it when his father had passed away. It sat in a closet at my grandparents house for years and years.

Can't believe I'm retarded enough to not realized that. Disregard and cut it down user. Just don't be a fag about this stuff and you'll be fine.

I’m kind of pumped. No pun intended. Owning an og slam fire Winchester is pretty cool. I’m taking to my local shop tomorrow and I’ll have him look it over.

>gun passed on down the family line from your great grandfather
>"no real family sentimental value"
Chop yourself you ungrateful faggot.

Stop it bubba

Do you think sentimental value is something assigned by committee?

>There’s no real family sentimental value

Go find another male family member who doesn't smoke crack and give it to him.

Attached: shiggy.jpg (250x250, 10K)

Not really sure. I guess it could be if the person handing over the item cherishes it along with the person who received it. However it’s just something he collecting dust in his closet for years and wanted out of the house for safety reasons.

I’m a fan of the riot gun look on model 12s. But many think it’s sacrilege to cut down a model 12s barrel.

I understand it sounds rude but I wasn’t coming off that way purposely. I figured that since I acquired the platform to make a nice trench gun replica I’d ask for some opinions. I also received a .35 Marlin that’s in much better shape other than missing a stock. So I’ll be on the hunt for one online this week.

Listen user, it's your gun now and your grandfather and great grandfather obviously didn't treasure it. Cut it down, make it look like you want it to and do whatever you want so that you feel satisifed and love it to pieces, and then treat it like the heirloom it deserves to be. It'd be different if it was treasured by past generations, but it wasn't.

>It'd be different if it was treasured by past generations
That's not really how that works. My greatgreat-whatever grandfather didn't cherish the fenceposts he put up in 1868 but I sure as hell did since they're the only thing left on this earth that we know that man touched with his own hands.

>Is it wrong to do this?
Nope. The gun's been neglected to shit anyway, so you might as well put it to some use. I'd do this too, as a middle finger to the tactitards and fudds who bought up all the milsurps

Attached: 3209.jpg (1800x362, 49K)

>grandpa hands down a family heirloom
>was great grandpappy's gun
>no real family sentimental value
only because you're an immature child that doesn't grasp the reality of the situation

>a little rust on the bluing
"in such sad shape i dont mind chopping it up with a hack saw"
you are literally the worst kind of person. an hero at your earliest convenience.

why not just get a second barrel and stock and cut those down to size? that way you can keep the original config for when you pass it down.

Might be a Win. Model 12, worth money even w the rust, trade it for a Mossberg military shotgun

That's gonna need some help. I bought a model 12 from Cabela's a month ago for $299 in great shape.

Attached: 08cO2Uk.jpg (250x250, 15K)

yeah, OP is a dickhead.

Head's up, OP: If you do decide to fire it, regardless of condition, use lead shot ONLY. Steel shot can bulge the barrel in old '12s. Also, it's a trap gun, so if you aren't gonna shoot trap, you should clean it up, then sell it or trade it for something to chop, A takedown 12-gauge is an odd piece to chop, anyway.

How the fuck does it taste

It's yours, who gives a shit what other people say is a sin. Fuck them do what you want.

You gonna cry?
Piss your pants maybe?
Maybe shit and cum?

Do it, perfect gun for a fun project. I'm a bit jelly desu.

Yeah I don’t think I want to fire anything g hot out of the gun. Typical birdshot rounds and maybe some light 00 buck

This. Family heirlooms are a connection to your families past. Same way and old truck was beat to shit for 50 years then sits in a field unloved to be restored since someone wanted to experience what their grandfather did.

There's a reason the shotfun wasnt sold for 50+ years even if it never had some autist maintaining it.

As someone who has done this before, be very aware of the hassles. The Model 12 Trench and Riot guns have a different barrel profile than the commercial market guns. Commercial market barrels are tapered and get very thin toward the muzzle to the point where there is not enough barrel thickness to drill and thread for a bead. This is also why you can't shoot steel shot safely, this tapering also acted as a type of choke and could bulge or blow the barrel as the shot is forced together. The barrels may be marked nitro-proofed or similar, that only means it's proofed for smokeless powder, not steel shot. All the commercial heat shields are for the M1897 and M12 military barrels (which have a thicker and not-tapered profile) and will be too big for commercial barrels, the only people who make the heat shields that will fit a commercial barrel are out of Georgia IIRC, google it. They are in the white and will need to be blued/parkerized. If you do proceed, the proper length to cut is 21.5 inches for the heat shield length, a little barrel should stick out the front. If you make the indents for the screws just right, the heatshield will jump out of place and the screws will tear your barrel open in one to three places.

*If you don't make the indentations on the barrel just right.

I forgot to mention that most "gunsmiths" won't rebarrel Model 12s because of much of a bitch and a half it is.

This thread is a great reminder that self awareness is a trait in short supply. OP pls give the shotgun to the nearest actual male family member who will take the time to restore it and cherish it from your bubba abomination mind.

I was looking to go with this guy in Georgia. However I think I’ll take a few weeks to see if I can find an already chopped barrel or a full length replacement to cut.

Attached: 4C0EF0B4-9A54-49CD-8A65-12ACC61160C5.png (828x1792, 1.58M)

That's the one I was talking about. I found an M12 Riot barrel on ebay of all places last year, not sure if there are some still floating around. If you do find one your next hurdle will be finding a smith who can do it. Best of luck, they are a blast to slamfire.

Attached: model 12.png (956x426, 872K)

Why would you think I lack self awareness? Just for the fact that restoring great grandpas shotgun into 1950s condition wasn’t my first intention? As much of a fairytale story that is, the facts are I won’t get any use or much enjoyment out of a restored pigeon gun. I may sound like an asshole, maybe I am. Atleast I’m “self aware” of it. I figured taking something neglected and turning it into something I’d really be interested in would give it new life and appreciation.

Would I be better off just looking for a full assembly? Tube and barrel combo? I have a local gunsmith that said a barrel replacement can be done but it’s a pain in the ass. How come? Is it because of it needing to be fitted to the magazine tube?

My first gun was a Model 12 in worse condition than OP's. I thought about doing a trench gun, but then I realized that EVERYBODY was doing that, and not only would I have a played-out abortion of a gun, I'd be removing a factory correct Model 12 from the market. Model 12 barrels aren't easily or cheaply replaceable so as soon as they're cut down the gun's value drops like a rock.

I sold it for $400 and I bought a nice Ithaca 37 riot gun for $100 because someone had already cut its barrel down, plus a Stevens double for $100, plus a Remington 1100 for $200. If I were OP's place, I'd clean up the rust as carefully as I could and sell it to someone who really wants a stock Model 12. OP could buy a better candidate for a riot gun or trench gun.

Attached: DSC_6693.jpg (4608x3072, 3.49M)

Old shotguns weren't made to use interchangeable barrels . They have to custom fit to the receiver.

dude, you know that gun will slamfire right? its worth keeping just for that. Not that slamfire offers any advantage, but they don't make guns that do anymore so its kinda cool

Shamefur dispray

Attached: notamused.jpg (300x200, 8K)

I'd rather reverse-bubba it into a milsurp. People want to be greedy with mosins and parts kits, so I might as well return the favor.

inb4 the rope. Fudd-gougers started this bullshit.

Attached: Winchester_M12_WWII.jpg (352x548, 58K)

I'd just chop the barrel and leave as is

I'll trade you $300 star bucks gift cards you little onions cock anti American. Anti freedoms reddit scum. Just fucking gross. You're gross you little shit. Imagine horse trading your families heirlooms.

Attached: FB_IMG_1550273661854.jpg (750x750, 46K)

Yeah cool. user the best option is to destroy it. What if it was used in a crime? Man. Just chop it up. You can still enjoy it in pieces. People in new jeresy are in jail for stuff like this. Better safe than sorry man.