Could someone explain why brass is used as a shell casting

Could someone explain why brass is used as a shell casting.

More importantly why bullet casing didn't go the way of the musket?

Attached: tme2y2ri.png (1777x758, 650K)

>Could someone explain why brass is used as a shell casting.
It’s soft so it expands and contracts faster than other metals, meaning that it’s less likely to burst or get stuck at higher pressures.

More importantly why bullet casing didn't go the way of the musket?
What’s there to replace it? Caseless ammo runs into heat problems because there’s nothing to serve as a heat sink while also being more exposed to the elements. We just don’t have anything that is functionally better while being economically viable.

Brass is useful because it's hard enough to withstand some dings and contain pressure well, tough enough to keep from cracking, and just soft enough to expand to ensure a complete, thorough gas seal.

It hasn't vanished because casings help protect the cartridge's integrity from impacts, environment, and chemical attack. It aids in gas sealing, and carries away a large amount of waste heat from the chamber. It also sucks up some heat from a hot chamber preventing the propellant from cooking off.

Wouldn't you want something that fires the whole bullet.

A brass alloy with a hollow area for the charge?

Whst’s an example of something that’s functionally bettter but not economically viable

>Could someone explain why brass is used as a shell casting.
>More importantly why bullet casing didn't go the way of the musket?
Because your mother decided not to abort you.

sean bean

Attached: notagain.gif (249x107, 339K)

>cheap
>soft enough to expand to create a seal
>cheap
>hard enough to withstand punishment without cracking or shattering
>easy to form
>acts as a heat sink

Why wouldn’t you use it?

Look up rocketball ammo, it didn't work out that well. Also, if you have a more metal to hold the power charge internally, you need a bigger charge to propel the larger mass.

>not wanting 65% more bullet
shiggy

Attached: giphy.gif (480x272, 965K)

Daisy made a caseless .22.
Didn't work out.

Attached: itsbeentried.jpg (448x336, 24K)

It didn't work out because the laws changed.
They were relatively popular at the time but the 1968 GCA meant Daisy would have needed to get an FFL, with all the expenses and paperwork, so they simply stopped making them.

Which part of goldeneye is this?

Seems very simple and deadly. Im assuming that this is a hollow bullet filled with powder

cmon man it's from portal dude take like 4 seconds

Attached: 5.gif (132x91, 9K)

Because electronic rail technology light enough for a person to carry is still a pipe dream.

they were copper at first, and it was a damn sight more conveniant than pissing around with paper catridges or god forbid loose powder and balls.
the most important part of it frankly was bundling the ball and powder together with the primer because look up the loading process of a cap and ball percussion revolver.

The primary reason was because it doesn't spark

I was thinking about it the other day. What if the fuel for the ball was basically a minute rocket. Oxygen and hydrogen in separate Chambers that will mix and be ignited. Or what if we use modern solid fuels like they use for the boosters. I know the original rocket ball suffered from speed and stability.

>he doesn't fire 3 rounds per minute

Attached: images(25).jpg (300x168, 6K)

Shell casings were initially made of copper, but it was found that they expanded too much when heated, which meant that if they weren't ejected *right* after they were fired (which is very possible in a Springfield Trapdoor), they'd quickly expand to the point where they'd get stuck in the chamber and couldn't be dislodged until they cooled down. One of the things that the Army investigation into Little Bighorn found was that in the panic and confusion of the battle, that had happened to a lot of soldiers who ended up among the casualties. It wasn't long after that everyone started changing over to brass.

Wait, you people might be able to answer my question.

I just bought an antique percussion 12 gauge shotgun, which would nominally shoot rounds of up to about .71inch.

Now, I am not going to cast my own lead bullets. If Ibjust bought 11/16 steel rod and cut it into chunck, couldn't I shoot steel rod chuncks as rounds?

My real fear is if it tries to tumble in the barrel, can it? Would it? Would I end up Elmer Fudding this?

Attached: elmer_fudd_by_beewinter55_dcgxv3c-fullview.jpg (1024x655, 137K)

It's generally considered a very bad idea to shoot steel shot or slugs from older firearms. Aside from simply being old and worn out in many cases, it's highly unlikely they we designed or manufactured to be able to handle anything harder than lead.

>Yeets

Attached: Blood_loss02.jpg (424x681, 311K)

I figured, but you can't just go out and get lead rods at the CO-OP.

I guess I'm buying 11/16 wooden dowels.and sharpening the ends.

Would it disintegrate orbjust be horribly innacurate?

Caseless ammo isn't hotter because brass acted as a heat sink. It was because the G11 had no need to eject anything. Therefore, the action was never venting and exchanging air with the atmosphere. That's the real thing that cools cased guns; the venting of the action with every round ejected.

"For england james?"

"no. for me"

Vampire slayer

Stop being fucking retarded, before you blow your hands off. Shoot lead shot out of your antique SHOTgun.

Case-less will never work nor will bolters. The ammo needs to head space correctly. Go watch youtube videos on head space. If the round sets on the rifling you have the chance to pipe bomb.

As for brass. Steel case is doable. But wartime steel will be going into other things like guns and tanks not one time use cases.

You got it backwards, steel cased ammunition would become standard, as steel is far more common while brass uses copper, which is comparably much rarer.

Look up the Gyojet, user, it's been tried.

Admittedly we could probably make a more efficient version of it with current technology, and using a partially sealed barrel instead of a fully vented one would solve the low muzzle velocity issue. This would of course defeat the original purpose of the Gyrojet; having a zero recoil firearm. It might even be worth having a small powder charge to propel the bullet to lethal velocities right out of the barrel, even. Either way you'll run into an inherent design flaw - range and capacity.

You can't really make long, thin bullets because they're not inherently stable, so once the rocket fuel runs out it'll start to tumble. There's only so much fuel you can stuff into a bullet and it burns up pretty quickly if you want fast acceleration, so you won't have actively stabilized flight for more than a couple hundred metres.

If you made the bullet fatter, you begin to reduce your magazine capacity and also decrease the aerodynamic efficiency - the original Gyrojet rounds went as small as .50 caliber, for example. I'm sure with enough R&D you could come up with a modern equivalent that balances range, mag capacity, bullet stability, and aerodynamics, but at the moment normal cartridges and guns work just fine so no company is going to bother with this avenue of research for a while longer.

Knowing it’s inventor it’s the cheapest surplus ammo money could buy.

Theres 10 years of people on here who never heard of it and even more who shouldnt

>brass
>cheap
How about no.
Why do you think some casings are made of steel when it's way more complicated to do so?

>What’s there to replace it?
Magnetic coil rifling

Why would you intentionally make a thread this bad?

>muh brass heatsink meme
not this shit again

WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Bolters are smooth bored.

Same reason brass is used in locks instead of steel. Brass is "self-lubricating", which is just an inaccurate way to say, "Brass does not like sticking to itself or other metals like Iron alloys like to do."