Defacto standard for all AK style rifles is steel ammo

>Defacto standard for all AK style rifles is steel ammo
>Defacto standard for AR rifles is brass ammo

Are there any objective problems with steel ammo? I know everyone says steel ammo is shit and will wear your barrel out (will post link to the supposed test below). But if this is the case why can AK's go so long without barrels being shot out? I would say its the pressure differences in 762vs556 but 545 is a higher pressure than 762 as well. What about pistol calibers? How does (assuming everything else is the same) the case being made from a different material affect overall wear on the gun (except the extractor obviously)? Is not shooting steel ammo a huge meme to trick american buyers into buying brass? Please objectivity only.

>luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Attached: rust test 1.jpg (1024x768, 201K)

Other urls found in this thread:

luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Go back to highschool

Barrel wear has nothing to do with case material, bullet jacket does, especially if it's copper washed steel.

Then why does everyone say “whoa never shoot steel it’s shit ammo!”

Because it usually comes with bi-metal jacketed bullets.

Manufacturing quality controls affecting end product

95% of the shooters that say this wont shoot their ARs enough (8,000+ rounds) for the difference in barrel wear to make a difference. At that round count the money you would have saved from shooting steel over brass would be enough to pay for atleast 3-4 replacement barrels.

>steel in AR
>rarely is finicky and shoots decent
>$.17 a shot
>bimetal wears on a barrel a little more so having a chrome lined helps this also applies to AKs

>brass in an AK
>expensive as fuck unless it is surplus Yugo shit when it was actually pretty cheap
>for whatever reason my Vepr likes to tear and dent brass

Steel is good and you can dab on brass jews.

Steel case ammo isn't always shit, but most shit ammo is steel cased. Most of the shit talking of steel cased ammo comes from the days when the powder and primers were corrosive.

Steel Case is only good for commie rounds in commie guns.

Whats it like being the dumb fudd that everyone else in the thread is making fun of?

Feels pretty good.

Why do people continue spew this shit.

This is a problem with most AKs. They tend to hit the lip on the top cover on ejection and it does alot of damage to brass.

What makes you think AKs have longer barrel life?

>larger bullet
>slower
>less chamber pressure

Simple.

Receiver will crack before you shoot out an AK barrel, at least in 7.62x39 anyway.

>because aks only come in 762x39, not everything common including 6.5 grendel
You are only accounting for one round out of many

That's the theory for (7.62x39 anyway), but is there anything to back it up?
Any sources for that?

Great article on the topic:luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Attached: Brass-vs.-Steel-Sunday-e1357509017349.png (610x456, 110K)

Brass is more ductile than steel, so it expands to fit the chamber a bit more. That's what I've heard, at least.

This is the most comprehensive answer. Additionally, a lot of straight wall case, or even very slightly tapered like .223, have major problems with extraction depending on the design of the firearm. For example, I have had failure to extract from Wolf .223 in both AR and AK platforms. However, my PTR extracts so violently that it will pull steel case .308 out with no problem. This all boils down to steel cases expanding after being fired but not contracting back to their original shape after the pressure drop. Brass on the other hand expands but then returns to close it's original dimensions, it also has more lubricity than most steel, even the polymer washed newer made Russian stuff. If you really want to shoot steel, I would recommend buying a few 20 round boxes of brass and nickel washed Golden Bear and Silver Bear. If your gun won't run that, don't even consider the polymer or older lacquer stuff.

Bimetal does not wear the barrel any appreciable amount more than gilding metal.
Steel case is usually made to the lowest possible price point. This means cheap double base powders with less deterrents and flame modifiers so they burn hotter and cause more flame erosion. Since it is made cheap QC is also lower and the bullets may be out of spec dimensionally or have higher failure rates.

>use tula .223
>it works, but light strikes
>replace hammer spring with bigger
>it works

Steel uses shit powder

No. They just use a magnet to separate it. The best thing to do is berdan brass or aluminum casing. Especially berdan, so they have to keep popping their deprimer back in.

Nothing wrong with shooting steel cased ammo, only retards with shit rifles hate it.

Moat of what makes steel ammo shit is poor QC and shitty components/powders

I wish someone sold unfired steel cases
Imagine getting to load cheap, high quality ammo for PTR's and AK's. You could hand load the perfect round for your particular gun and not worry about having to be a brass jew, or that your rifle mangles brass and throws it into hyperspace. To say nothing of improved barrel life or the ability to load cheap low power training rounds.

>Bimetal does not wear the barrel any appreciable amount more than gilding metal
Any info to back that up?

>afgani using an ak older than you and I combined

I wonder

Attached: 1398472598537.jpg (650x435, 43K)

Hatcher did initial studies back in the days of the Krag and more after M1906 was introduced. A very large percentage of war time produced M2 ball was bimetal.
Switzerland has been using bimetal since G11 was introduced and never noticed problems.
Russia has been using it since WW2 with no problems and Germany since WW1.
The alloy of steel used is one designed for deep drawing and his roughly the same softness as the gilding metal it replaced, significantly softer than the barrel. The copper/zinc coat adds environmental protection and acts as a high pressure lubricant to prevent galling and friction in the bore.

Well shit guess i read too much fuddlore claiming bimetal destroys barrels twice as fast and was afraid to shoot it from my SVT.

Steelcased is a mutt-meme and does not exist outside of third world countries like burgerland

Germany used steel case in ww2

I shoot steel case exclusively in my ar. always fuctions fine no problems.

This. And when you reload brass it is fireformed to your chamber. This increases accuracy enough to matter for long range precision shooting.

is this true?

>be me
>have a fucking ton of yugo berdan primed brass
>bought them for like $.10 per
>shoot them at my public range
>see brass jew picking up my brass
>hue internaly
>come back next week
>see the same brass jew complaining that he broke 2 of his deprimes
>Mfw

Attached: Outer_Heaven.png (510x524, 235K)

Kek. Fuck brass jews

Cases are the absolute least of your costs when reloading. Just bite the bullet and buy a case of brass ammo and then reload the cases.

>afghani using an ak older than you and I combined
Gee, I wonder how often poorfag "I can't afford food for my goats" Amir shoots his AK, surely not very often, if at all.

Attached: 1550575459293.png (960x950, 775K)

What the fuck? Cases are the single most expensive component.

If only there were places where you could pick them up off the ground for free.
Better yet would be being able to reuse them so the costs are spread out over multiple uses.

>implying I shoot at a range

Also on 556 you will be lucky to get 3 reloads out of a case. On my 577/450 you can get pretty much unlimited reloads.

It wears faster. Not twice as fast. You will never shoot the SVT enough to matter either way.

Reread Hatcher's notes on the matter. He acknowledged it wore the barrels faster. He also came to the (probably correct) conclusion that it didn't fucking matter in a military rifle that would likely be lost/destroyed with its owner in combat, or obsolete, or rearsenaled for other reasons, before anybody shot out the barrel and which wasn't expected to be all that particularly accurate to start with.

Civilian standards are different. A military Krag/1903/K11/Garand might maybe see 5k rounds in its entire service life and as long as it's minute of man at 300m it's g2g. A Poorfag State Armory franken-AR or Century C39 or WASR or PTR91 might see 10k rounds in the first 3 years and a competitive 3-gun shooter can put 10k rounds through a rifle in 3 months; barrels are expected to last 20-30k rounds regardless of what they're made from or lined with, and be as accurate as that price point dictates (sub-2-MOA for cheap ARs, ~1 MOA for cheap boltguns, 2-3 MOA for pretty much any AK manufactured after the 80s).

You should also note that:
1. pretty much all non-military calibers are almost exclusively produced in brass cases, even in countries that have historically used steel cased service ammo, because it IS less prone to sticking, lends more to accuracy, and transfers heat out of the gun better.
2. Pretty much exclusively avoids steel in the bullet, because of ease of drawing to small tolerances and the fact it's really fucking hard to make a steel-jacketed bullet expand properly even if you use a very fucking soft steel.

Silver Bear is zinc plated, not nickel. But yes, still better lubricity than bare steel.

Chamber tolerance and how hot you load it makes a HUGE difference with things like 5.56. I have a true match barrel AR with an incredibly tight chamber, I can get 6-7 loads before needing to anneal and ~12ish total out of a single piece of brass (what I feed it is sorted and marked so I can keep track of loadings).

Compare that to my blaster AR that's got an old milsurp M4 barrel in it that's sloppier than a 40 year old Thai hooker where I'm lucky if once-fired brass even fits in the damn resizing die and I've had case-head separations on the first reload, or my SAAMI-norm chambered Howa 1500 Varmint that I can get 3, maybe 4 reloads out of before I start splitting necks even with annealing after the first reload.

How many rounds have been fired through that goat herders AK? Does he even care if it's keyholing?

>Does he even care if it's keyholing?
No because Allah guides the boolit.

How about

>implying they wouldn't check the primer on every 7.62x38+1
Doubt.jiff

because i have been fucked by it and not poor